Of All The Itineraries in the Caribbean, Which One Do You Like Best & Why?

Lastdance

I have been on three different Caribbean venues, but would appreciate the knowledge and details of those of you that have done many of them, including the Southern Exotic itinerary from Celebrity. Also, seven nights or longer, please.

Thanking you in advance!:cool:

Edited by Lastdance

The southern caribbean is always my favorite. I have only been able to do 7 day cruises so I leave from San Juan. I have twice done this part of the Caribbean and saw St.Thomas, Barbados, Antigua, Dominica, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Maarten. A 14 night that includes the ABC Islands and maybe Grenada would be amazing (I just don't have the time to cruise 2 weeks).

I am going on the Silhouette Western Caribbean for the 2nd time in February. The would rather have done the SC, but I wanted a Solstice class ship. A 14 night southern on the Eclipse would be the dream!

My favorite itinerary is whichever one I am on at the time. 'Cause a bad day on a cruise is still better than a good day at home. :D

Seriously, the southern itineraries can offer more variety, due to the close proximity of more islands to San Juan, whereas eastern and western going from Florida can't reach as many. I've been to Cozumel and Nassau a zillion times but I'll continue to do itineraries that include them... sometimes you just want to get away on a short cruise, which inevitably means Nassau/private island, or Cozumel and maybe 1 other stop. St. Thomas and St. Maarten can be pretty "same old, same old" as well on the eastern route, but we enjoy them. We have a favorite lunch spot in St. Maarten, and enjoy jewelry shopping in St. Thomas. :)

That said, we're looking forward to our cruise out of Lisbon next summer, with several stops in Spain, Portugal and France that will all be completely new to us!

Definitely the Southern Caribbean in our books, and with the slight change in itinerary for 2015 it will be even better with the inclusion of Bonaire, our favourite dive/snorkel island.

I agree with davekathy that two b2b 7 day cruises are a lot better than just one, but compared to a single 14 day you do lose a full day at turnaround, plus the time coming and going.

I like the one that is the longest. As for the Islands it really doesn't matter as they all have about the same, snorkeling, booze cruises, tours to see their waterfalls, rum factory, plantation, beach and etc.

Places I don't like are those in the Western and that is why I like the southern cruise.

🌴🍸🍻🍺

I think it depends on what you like. If you want beaches and partying ashore, then the 14 night southern Caribbean is best, if you like different ports and sightseeing, then the 11 night western Caribbean is terrific (we've done it twice).

Agree, the 14 night Southern Caribbean as Eclipse is doing at the moment to include Bonaire if possible. The snorkelling there is great.

Phil

We were on that cruise last year, which included Bonaire.

Unfortunately, we were unable to get into Curaçao, due to high winds.

Any less than 14 nights is not worth the air fare.

We were on that cruise last year, which included Bonaire.

Unfortunately, we were unable to get into Curaçao, due to high winds.

Any less than 14 nights is not worth the air fare.

Yes, airfare makes such a difference when it comes to planning! We too consider 14 nights to be the minimum. There are so many shorter, inexpensive cruises we look at, but the airfare is more than the cost of the cruise.

Well, it looks like the Southern Exotic gets lots of points. I too so agree with the airfare situation. We have been sailing from Europe the last few years, this year included; the airfare is major:eek:, so we try to add on a land trip too. The Southern Exotic just might be our choice for 2015. Although, I must say that Europe has so much to offer, and is so educational too. I like to book my next cruise onboard to get all the perks!

Many thanks to all...

Edited by Lastdance

Either of these places. I do not like the western ports. Hate Cozumel and Jamaica. I wouldn't get off the ship there. I just took the Eclipse 14 night from Ft. lauderdale. Loved it. I wish that Celebrity had longer cruises out of SanJuan. The 2 sea days at the beginning and end the cruise can be chilly. On our last day at sea, we stayed inside. Too chilly and windy to sit outside. The other choice is taking 2 back to backs on the Summit from SAnJuan. I prefer longer cruises. If you only have 7 days, take the Summit. You will be in wRm weather during the whole cruise.

Absolutely love the southern itineraries. We have been on a couple of 10 days that went to Aruba which we absolutely love. Unfortunately, until retirement not all of us can afford to take the two weeks+ off of work that 14 day cruises require. Wish Celebrity would add more 10/11 day deep southern cruises:)

Have had a couple of Celebrity cruises that stop in Bonaire. The snorkelling there is like NOTHING I have ever seen. Absolutely mind-boggling.

Bonaire has really started limiting the number of cruise ships calling there, as it is trying to preserve the reef.

If I ever see a 14-night that visited Bonaire, I would grab it. It is a rare occurrence….and if you are into snorkelling, you simply will not find better in the Caribbean.