Park Cafe- Roast Beef Sandwiches

bjohio

I have read several times here about people raving about the roast beef sandwiches in the new Park Cafe. What makes them so outstanding?

I know the Park Cafe has been added to the Grandeur- which we will be on and perhaps they are now on some of the other ships. Have read only good reviews about the cafe.

I have also hear people rave on and on about them. I can attest that they were the best on Oasis in 2009, good on Allure in 2012 and just ok on Enchantment in 2013.

They were always served with Au Jus but on Enchantment the "Au Jus" was just gravy...

They are simply an Italian style french dip roast beef sandwich on a salted bun. Like a said they were to Die for on Oasis but I would not go out the the way to get one when we were on Enchantment...very let down there.

Edited by CruiseDude_83

I think they were super good roast beef sandwiches, but I wouldn't book my cruise based on them. There is so much on the Oasis to ooh and awe over that this is just one more thing. They are definitely worth spending a lunch on though, but they are like any other hofbrau type sandwiches.

The Grandeur is an amazing ship and you will have so many things (including this) to enjoy and remember fondly.

Tom

I have read several times here about people raving about the roast beef sandwiches in the new Park Cafe. What makes them so outstanding?

I know the Park Cafe has been added to the Grandeur- which we will be on and perhaps they are now on some of the other ships. Have read only good reviews about the cafe.

The Grandeur is lovely but I have to admit the roast beef sandwiches in the Park Café were not very good at all. We've tried them on about 5 different ships and they range from fab to so-so, depends on the chef.

it's less about the ship and more about the hunk o' meat that is on the slab while you are in line.

On GR I had maybe 5 or 6 on the same cruise and a few were WAY better than others. some were fatty, some were overcooked, some were perfect.

I like extra horseradish on mine....

I don't know if they were all that great -- but for us, they were something different. On our previous nine cruises, embarkation day lunch was always in the Windjammer. It was kind of nice trading the Honey Stung Chicken for the roast beef sandwiches!

Ann

We were just on the Legend for 21 nights. Before the cruise, I thought I would be eating most lunches in the Park Cafe. On our first trip there, the roast beef was just ok, and the au jus was gravy. They would have different types of meats on different days. The pork loin was the best. I only ate there I think 4 times the whole cruise. IMO, The roast beef sandwiches were excellent on Oasis and Allure. They aren't the same on the smaller ships. Maybe it was the "au jus" that made them so good?? :eek: :eek:

I agree with previous posters--it all depends on the cut on the cutting board when you're at the front of the line, and your taste in cooked meat. I got lucky two out of three times on Allure last time and had nice medium rare, nonfatty beef on the delicious Weck (caraway roll), with a little bit of jus and some horseradish.

To another person, it might have been underdone meat on a hard roll.

They were ok on our recent Oasis...but the meat was way undercooked and the bun was a bit on the hard side...However the soups were amazing ;)

actually that was the proper way to be served. it is SUPPOSED to be rare and the Kemmelweck rolls is SUPPOSED to be crunchy.

and yeah the soups are pretty dang good.

I live in NY. Nothing beats a good NY deli roast beef sandwich so no rave from me!!!

Apples and oranges.

The beef on weck with au jus (extra!) on the Oasis/Allure is much different than a NYC roast beef sandwich. Some times I have to cut a little fat off but the taste is tremendous. In fact, I don't think it's so much as the meat as it is the roll with the au jus.

I agree with you though that a roast beef sandwich in NY is hard to beat!

Edited by Yorkvillain

I just love the combination of flavours. The beef goes perfectly with the crusty rolls (and you get that hit of salt), the gravy and the ragout (which is to die for). On the Rhapsody recently, they were offering it with a slice if cheese as well. It just made it even better!

Here is info on the sandwich: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck

ps, Not Italian ;)

actually that was the proper way to be served. it is SUPPOSED to be rare and the Kemmelweck rolls is SUPPOSED to be crunchy.

and yeah the soups are pretty dang good.

My post was "SUPPOSED' to only be JMHO and nothing more ;)

Grew up with beef on 'weck sandwiches in Buffalo so I find it fascinating how people rave over them. They are tasty but it does really depend on how the beef is cooked. I'm interested to try them on Grandeur this April

Edited by hansolosmom

I heard so much about them that I was excited for the opportunity to try a roast beef sandwich this month on Grandeur. The first sandwich I got I asked for a small amount of au jus which was put on the bottom of the roll with the meat folded on top of it. Absolutely loved the sandwich! the meat was flavorful and it just hit the spot. The second time I didn't ask for a small amount of au jus and this time I got a ton of plain brown gravy dumped all over the meat and the roll. It was the sloppiest thing to pick up making it almost impossible to eat. I prefer the au jus and gravy is not the same thing. The meat was still flavorful - but both times I found a lot of fat that was a challenge to remove. Would I have the sandwich again - for sure!