Has Celebrity gone down hill since the new CEO took over?

Fixit2010

Yes, it's an absolute shambles! acapella groups dropping like flies, not a tube of shower gel in sight, trivia contests being treated as nothing more than trivial, scurvy rampant due to the lime shortage, newfangled electronic music everywhere (and LOUD!), brunch has been lunched... WHERE WILL IT END? Well according to noted industry analysts on the cruise critic forum, IT WON'T! It seems Mr. Bayley's strategy is to create a bare bones ferry service where even burgers at the Mast Grill will be an extra charge. Escargot? EscarGONE! Celebrity indeed - Calamity is more like it!

Really? Hopefully there is a "hint" of sarcasm here.

Huh? Not sure how this new area effects blu at all...Suite guests were only permitted on a space available basis...so it should actually have zero effect on blu, either way.

On paper your comment is quite right, in practice I don't believe it for one second that higher suites guest are being turned away. Bottom line, remove suites from Blu, it will be less crowded and on the Reflection significantly so.

Huh? Not sure how this new area effects blu at all...Suite guests were only permitted on a space available basis...so it should actually have zero effect on blu, either way.

[sNIP]

...but let's not put blu in that mix...it's uneffected.

I made this observation based solely on the litany of complaints Aqua guests have spewed all over this forum abut how the Suite passengers keep taking their spaces and it's too crowded and hard to get in

Also from the reports of suite guests that so far it seems again based on these forums, at least 95% (though I can't recall a report here of a single suite guest being turned away from BLU, but I'll allow for that possibility) of suite guests who have requested to dine at BLU have been served in BLU.

Yes the rule is "on available basis" for sure, but it seems it's rare, very rare, that a suite guest has been declined.

My wife and I along with five other couples recently completed a fourteen night S. American-Panama Canal cruise on Infinity. We ware in Aqua Class and could not have been more pleased with the ship, it's crew, the food, etc. Yes, we were on Code Red for the latter portion of the cruise, but stuff happens. We have booked another 14 nighter for next March, so you can see we are sorely disappointed as there is little to complain about on these boards. Sorry!

Not really. Suite guests were already in the MDR. So the tables suite guests were using will still be used but just in a different part of the MDR.

You can surmise though that if a section of the MDR is now exclusive for suite guests, what else about it will be different? More wait staff per passenger? Different food availability? Guess I need to see what I can find out.

Edited by shipshape sam

On paper your comment is quite right, in practice I don't believe it for one second that higher suites guest are being turned away. Bottom line, remove suites from Blu, it will be less crowded and on the Reflection significantly so.

I've been on at least three cruises where I've been standing in the short line at Blu and suite guests have been asked to return later. The reflection is a special case....they have apparently always allowed suite guests to eat in Blu at any time but they seem to have problems because of the number of new cabins added. We will not sail on that ship.

I've been on at least three cruises where I've been standing in the short line at Blu and suite guests have been asked to return later. The reflection is a special case....they have apparently always allowed suite guests to eat in Blu at any time but they seem to have problems because of the number of new cabins added. We will not sail on that ship.

Dined at all different times in Blu on Reflection as an Aqua last month. Not only did we never have to wait, we were consistently invited to waltz in and pick our table. Booking again( for the western Carib this time ) next Feb/Mar.

Dined at all different times in Blu on Reflection as an Aqua last month. Not only did we never have to wait, we were consistently invited to waltz in and pick our table. Booking again( for the western Carib this time ) next Feb/Mar.

I agree. We were on the 3/22 sailing and never had to wait. A number of times, we had our choice of tables.

We still don´t know what´s wrong with the Infinity- don´t we? As for the " little" Martinis- well they are free- you can have as much as you want. So were is the problem??? Does it take to long to get drunk???

I was tought that nobody should look a gifthorse into the mouth! Some people seem to make a hobby out of complaining about everything and everybody!

I've been on significantly more cruises with Blu and I promise you higher suites guests are taking up tables and getting some prime spots to sit, not to mention attention. We can go back and forth on this but do you honestly think a family/couple in a Royal Suite or PH are going to be told sorry.

We can agree to disagree but the new Suites Dining Room will relieve some crowding in Blu at peak hours.

I highly suggest that you experience X for yourself. As I stated in another post if I had listen to the moaning and groaning of the posters of this board I would have never booked a cruise on X. I am glad that I tried it for myself. We now have three more booked after two great cruises on X.

Also I have not found the complaining attitudes on board Celebrity that prevails on this board for which I am very thankful for.:)

I have sailed on X and loved every minute of it :D. But over the past 6-12 months, the whining on this board does cause hesitation. We fully plan to sail X again and see for ourselves about all the changes. Hope all is still good onboard.

I have sailed on X and loved every minute of it :D. But over the past 6-12 months, the whining on this board does cause hesitation. We fully plan to sail X again and see for ourselves about all the changes. Hope all is still good onboard.

Trust me, we have sailed many Celebrity cruises since November of 2009 and everyone was a delight, some not perfect but never anything to ruin our time onboard.

This is a forum for people to praise and vent. Unless you are on a cruise with many CC members who are unhappy for whatever reason you'll never hear a complaint onboard.

Continue to love Celebrity and ignore the whining, just some friendly advice.:)

Edited by Oville

I think Celebrity is worse.

Here are some examples for what's needed:

(1) Private Function management (signs need times the venue is blocked)

(2) No-Smoking policy should extend to the Sunset Bar on M-Class ships and smokers need less space on pool deck as the smoke catches a breeze and spreads through the area and into the Solarium.

(3) Extra crew should be on hand in the buffet to help with beverages and other tasks. A push cart should have not only coffee but also cups.

(4) Add extra monitors for moving towels, books, etc. left on lounges in pool area after 1/2 hours. Enforce the rules.

(5) Add waiters to the MDR and offer beverage refills as the glasses are emptied.

(6) Bring a combo aboard to entertain by the pool and in the foyer. Loud music is not a substitute for entertainment, it's nothing but loud music.

(7) Have prompt service for problems in cabins whether drains, bedding, pillows, water, ice, electrical problems, whatever.

(8) Stop it with the mini martinis and low-standard wines in small glasses for Vouchers used by Elite CC'ers.

(9) Stop organizing all tours in the theater then processing them to the stage, to a seat, to wait, and then follow a sign through the ship. Start tours on time or explain why it's late.

Penny

Oh. You mean make a Celebrity cruise into what cruising was like 20 years ago during the Golden Years of cruising. Next thing you will be recommending is NOT wearing jeans in the MDR and actually wearing formal dress on FORMAL night! You REBEL!

Does anyone know where he came from and what his qualifications are to run a cruise line? Especially one that's supposed to be upscale from RCCI.

Seriously:confused: that was rude.. read his bio and then ask that again!

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=8424260&ticker=RCL

CC

Ditto! A plan ole silly comment that added nothing to the thread.

So after reading thru the comments the one thing that comes to light, once again, is that even the top tier Capt Club members have very different opinions about what is happening on Celebrity.

And others complain just to have something to say, while continuing to book with Celebrity, and then those that have no idea what is happening on a Celebrity ship because they have yet to sail on one.

I've been on significantly more cruises with Blu and I promise you higher suites guests are taking up tables and getting some prime spots to sit, not to mention attention. We can go back and forth on this but do you honestly think a family/couple in a Royal Suite or PH are going to be told sorry.

We can agree to disagree but the new Suites Dining Room will relieve some crowding in Blu at peak hours.

I hope you're right :) Certainly on our last infinity cruise (antarctica), the wait at blu was longer than usual and every night....maybe it was due to suite guests.

I believe that there are some positives since Bayley became CEO.

1. There now seems to be a corporate philosophy. Celebrity has now been defined as primarily an "English speaking "company. Both markets and advertising have become more focused and appear to be getting good results.

2. Financils have appeared to improve and the stock market reaction has been positive.Makes shareholders happy.

3. Customer outreach has improved. Bayley's debut on Cruise Critic and the "contactmichael" connection have been helpful.I know I've received quick responses to concerns. Wish that Mr. Bayley would return to Cruise Critic for some follow up. The "CelebrityCruises" poster have been a possitive in helping to resolve customer issues.

4. The changes in the "Loyalty Program" have been wonderful. I'm really looking forward to experiencing the Zenith benefits when I board Reflection this Saturday.

There have also been some negatives (IMHO)

1.Communication from Corporate to the ships, or from Officers to staff needs to be improved. Some still don't know that tea is included as an Elite+ benefit. Communication needs to be updated on a regular basis.

2.The implementation of the new Loyalty program left a bad taste for many,especially those who had paid in full for cruises prior to the announcement of the program.

3. More complaints concerning "loudness" of music and sound in Theater than before.

4. Staff cutbacks especially in housekeeping and dining venues has affected service.

I believe that it's still too early to make a firm assessment of Mr. Bayley's performance as CEO. Programs are new and more new programs, especially in entertainment are still being developed. Must take a longer view to see how it all works out.

I believe that there are some positives since Bayley became CEO.

1. There now seems to be a corporate philosophy. Celebrity has now been defined as primarily an "English speaking "company. Both markets and advertising have become more focused and appear to be getting good results.

2. Financils have appeared to improve and the stock market reaction has been positive.Makes shareholders happy.

3. Customer outreach has improved. Bayley's debut on Cruise Critic and the "contactmichael" connection have been helpful.I know I've received quick responses to concerns. Wish that Mr. Bayley would return to Cruise Critic for some follow up. The "CelebrityCruises" poster have been a possitive in helping to resolve customer issues.

4. The changes in the "Loyalty Program" have been wonderful. I'm really looking forward to experiencing the Zenith benefits when I board Reflection this Saturday.

There have also been some negatives (IMHO)

1.Communication from Corporate to the ships, or from Officers to staff needs to be improved. Some still don't know that tea is included as an Elite+ benefit. Communication needs to be updated on a regular basis.

2.The implementation of the new Loyalty program left a bad taste for many,especially those who had paid in full for cruises prior to the announcement of the program.

3. More complaints concerning "loudness" of music and sound in Theater than before.

4. Staff cutbacks especially in housekeeping and dining venues has affected service.

I believe that it's still too early to make a firm assessment of Mr. Bayley's performance as CEO. Programs are new and more new programs, especially in entertainment are still being developed. Must take a longer view to see how it all works out.

Good summary...but you might also include the new aqua spa cafe, the web site and the length of time it takes for someone to answer the phones....too early to comment on the new spa company (but I bet it's a plus).

Huh? They are taking some space from the main dining room/select dining area for a small group of passengers, but it will effect everyone else due to the removal of tables. Not sure how this new area effects blu at all...Suite guests were only permitted on a space available basis...so it should actually have zero effect on blu, either way. Breakfast in Blu was never a problem.

I agree that there should be little impact, but let's not put blu in that mix...it's uneffected.

I doubt whether very many tables are actually being removed. I suspect that suite passengers will be using the tables, so they are just being reallocated. From my observations the traditional dining area is not very crowded. (observing from the Select dining area) This may be because on any given night people are dining elsewhere or it might be that it is not filled.

IMO suite passengers will dine in Blu less often with the new dining venue especially if it is as nice as advertised. It seriously doubt whether very many suite passengers were turned away from Blu and now they will be dining in the new area. Of course we will know soon enough if you are right that the crowding in Blu will not be affected, but I think you may be surprised.

We still don´t know what´s wrong with the Infinity- don´t we? As for the " little" Martinis- well they are free- you can have as much as you want. So were is the problem??? Does it take to long to get drunk???

I was tought that nobody should look a gifthorse into the mouth! Some people seem to make a hobby out of complaining about everything and everybody!

Are you complaining?

My reward for cruising many times on Celebrity is three vouchers for samples of drinks rather than regular size drinks.

Each time I want a sample, I use one of three vouchers at a time designated by Celebrity, wait for scarce service, give a large tip, and wait again to order another sample. IMHO, It makes more sense to buy a drink or purchase a drink package.

I assume Celebrity wants repeat business and good press. I'm not sure I want to give either as they are shorting me in too many areas. I know the difference because I've cruised many years. If "Modern Luxury" is what Celebrity offers, we need to rethink our cruise expectations based on the reasons we book.

I'm posting my opinion in answer to the OP, original post.

Penny

I hope you're right :) Certainly on our last infinity cruise (antarctica), the wait at blu was longer than usual and every night....maybe it was due to suite guests.

But pax in the Sky Suites will still be able to dine in Blu on a space available basis right? So they could still have some impact. If the upper suites were all booked how many people would that be that would be relocated to the suite dining room?

Edited by Christine Frances