Tipping in specialty restaurants

JoeLongIsland

Do you tip in the specialty restaurants? Someone in our group got upgraded from mini suite to full suite and includes first night only free for any specialty restaurant. Regardless it being free or not I was wondering if tip is added on, or in the case of free, charged to account or you give cash?

Usually tips are included in the up charge to specialty restarants.

I've always been told that the extra charge for the speciality restaurant covers the tip.

The fact of the matter is that no part of the cover charge goes to your server. Your server receives a share of the daily tip charge that appears on your folio.

If you opt to tip extra by charging it to your cabin account by adding it to your check, that amount will go into the same pool for all to share. If you tip in cash, your waiter can keep the entire amount.

Lew

If I recall correctly, the bill doesn't even have a place to leave an extra tip, so if you are thinking about tipping extra you should probably bring cash. (I think that would especially be true for suite passengers who are dining for free -- they might not actually see a bill).

We always bring cash when dining in the specialty restaurants aboard, for the purpose of giving our waiter a tip. Considering the level of service in those venues, a tip has always been warranted.

The fact of the matter is that no part of the cover charge goes to your server. Your server receives a share of the daily tip charge that appears on your folio.

If you opt to tip extra by charging it to your cabin account by adding it to your check, that amount will go into the same pool for all to share. If you tip in cash, your waiter can keep the entire amount.

Lew

Our first time in a specialty restaurant we forgot to carry cash and the server heard us discussing it. He told us NOT to put the tip on the receipt (there was a place to do that) and that is "is not necessary" to tip extra.

Just sayin'

Our first time in a specialty restaurant we forgot to carry cash and the server heard us discussing it. He told us NOT to put the tip on the receipt (there was a place to do that) and that is "is not necessary" to tip extra.

Just sayin'

He's right...it's not necessary to tip extra. It's especially not necessary if it's added to the guest check since by the time it trickles down to him, a $20.00 tip amounts to about 5¢!

Tipping is a very personal thing, however, if somebody wants to truly reward an individual for service it should be done in cash.

Lew

As noted, the service charge includes a standard tip.

However, in THIS case, since there is no service charge, I would probably be more likely to tip for standard service, as I have no idea if the ship covers that particular portion of the non-charged fee.

As noted, the service charge includes a standard tip.

However, in THIS case, since there is no service charge, I would probably be more likely to tip for standard service, as I have no idea if the ship covers that particular portion of the non-charged fee.

Huh?

I too leave a $20 cash tip so the waiter gets to keep it all. As has already been posted, if you write a tip amount on your "bill", the waiter gets very little of it:(, after it trickles through the pool.

If I recall correctly, the bill doesn't even have a place to leave an extra tip, so if you are thinking about tipping extra you should probably bring cash. (I think that would especially be true for suite passengers who are dining for free -- they might not actually see a bill).

FREE!!!! Paying at least a thousand dollars more per person then a mini suite is not free it's INClUDED. What about every mornings breakfast in Sabitini's, do you tip there? I didn't since I already did my tipping in the daily service charge which I leave intact.

Edited by cruzsnooze