First thing I will do on my upcoming Oceania cruise

Lane412000

Returned a couple of days ago from a hastily booked 5 day Carnival cruise out of New Orleans. We booked the cruise for my son and I a few days before departure as we had friends and family cruising. Now that I am home, I have decided that the first things I will do when I board the August 2nd Marina cruise are:

Kiss the deck

Hug and kiss every employee I see

Probably even hug and kiss every passenger I see

laughing rt

Returned a couple of days ago from a hastily booked 5 day Carnival cruise out of New Orleans. We booked the cruise for my son and I a few days before departure as we had friends and family cruising. Now that I am home, I have decided that the first things I will do when I board the August 2nd Marina cruise are:

Kiss the deck

laughing rt

+1 Beautifully said!

I think that we should all be required to cruise a mass market line once every five years, just to realize how good we have it!

In fact, if Oceania were really smart, they would give away 3 day Carnival Cruises as Bingo Prizes!

+1 beautifully said!

I think that we should all be required to cruise a mass market line once every five years, just to realize how good we have it!

In fact, if oceania were really smart, they would give away 3 day carnival cruises as bingo prizes!

Can we refuse the "prize" please?

Edited by orchestrapal

Kiss the deck

laughing rt

Same way we felt after an NCL cruise we took several years ago. It was a family cruise and the family part was fine but, oh, what a difference!

As I have now gone back and read my original post, I feel like I should apologize to those who cruise on Carnival, NCL or other "budget" lines. There were many passengers cruising as a family and this was their first cruise. Those people were quite happy and honestly, I was happy for them as this was probably all they could afford and it gave them a chance to show cruising to their children.

I enjoyed the five day cruise and not saying I would not do it again, but once I began cruising on Oceania, I have a hard time thinking of any other way to cruise.

So, I apologize to anyone I may have offended with my original post.

As a cruiser on "mass market" lines, I have been researching Oceania threads for quite some time. I had planned to surprise my wife with a "trip of the lifetime" for our anniversary. The idea of cruising on a luxury ship along with the itineraries seem so appealing.

Now, after reading this thread, I'm not so sure we would fit in. Should we give it a try?

Edited by JimAOk1945

As a cruiser on "mass market" lines, I have been researching Oceania threads for quite some time. I had planned to surprise my wife with a "trip of the lifetime" for our anniversary. The idea of cruising on a luxury ship along with the itineraries seem so appealing.

Now, after reading this thread, I'm not so sure we would fit in. Should we give it a try?

Most definitely YES!

People on Oceania are predominantly really quite nice and easy going.

What you may read here on CC represents a tiny fraction of O passengers and you may not be getting a true picture. I believe a cruise on Oceania may turn out to be a "trip of a lifetime" (and you'll probably keep coming back for more :D)

Try it and then decide for yourself whether you like it and whether you fit in :)

Jim & Nancy

First I'd like to say that your photo albums of your past cruises are great.

I know what you mean about 'certain' posts, but all types of comments are found on all the CC boards not uniquely here.

YES you will absolutely fit in. Oceania is a good company with beautiful ships and it is a great choice for a 'special trip'. If you want a more intimate experience you might consider their smaller 'R' class ships. Choose a great itinerary, join the RollCall and give it a try.

Have a wonderful Anniversary!

We've just returned from our first Oceania cruise. I had similar concerns to yours going in. I'm happy to report that those concerns were unfounded. We met many nice, unpretentious people onboard. There are always going to be a couple of *******es, but that's true on any cruise.

I had the same concerns before my cruise. I have to say we met some really great, down to earth and fun people on our cruise. We shared dinner on 3 nights with strangers and ended up closing the restaurants on two of those nights with people we just met. Not pretentious at all. I'm sure there were a few who were, but the vibe on the ship was a really nice balance of understated luxury.

We did a family cruise on NCL several years ago, and had a wonderful time despite the behavior of some of our fellow passengers who apparently had never been served alcohol before, and bartenders who did not know how to handle clearly intoxicated teens and young adults. We still managed to enjoy our cabins, the meals and our ports of call. The kids had a blast and the vacation created a lot of nice memories.

We have also created some great memories without our kids on Silversea, Seabourn, and Regent, and are looking forward to our first cruise on Oceania in October. Norwegian was fine for our family vacation and it delivered a good product for the price paid. But we have been spoiled by our most recent cruises and hope to be on Oceania!

I took two of my kids and one of their friends on a 5 day Carnival spring break cruise out of Galveston, Texas when the kids were between 13 and 15. They had a fabulous time. I did not like it and would never go back. Others that I know sail Carnival often and really like it. To each his or her own, but it ain't for me.

Edited by digtexas

If you are a party animal, then Carnival is perfect for you. They do call it the party ship. When I was much younger than I am now, yes I sailed Carnival and yes I enjoyed it, but now I will never set foot on a Carnival ship. Too much plastic and noise for me.

Thanks to all who posted replies to my question. I'm thinking about booking a cruise to celebrate our anniversary in 2016, and thinking about trying a "luxury" cruise.

Cruise Critic is a great place to do research not only about cruise lines and ship, but about the people who sail on them. Reading the comments reveals a great insight into their personalities.

I will continue to do research and glean as much as I can before making a decision.

Happy sailing to all!

I've found that passengers on Oceania seem to be less party animal boisterous or less likely to cut buffet lines. Those that misbehave are like mules un a china shop.

I like to share tables, and find that people are generally very nice. The most common exception are some that appear pompous, but they are in the minority. I avoid talking religion or politics, as a vacation rule.

Harry

I've found that passengers on Oceania seem to be less party animal boisterous or less likely to cut buffet lines. Those that misbehave are like mules un a china shop.

I like to share tables, and find that people are generally very nice. The most common exception are some that appear pompous, but they are in the minority. I avoid talking religion or politics, as a vacation rule.

Harry

+1

I agree most on O are very nice people