What's important? Itinerary or ship if itself??

Hope89

Looking to book a 7 day cruise to the caribbean in November this year. We are debating between Vision of the seas western caribbean or Oasis of seas to eastern caribbean. We like the itinerary on vision of the seas and it is about $200 cheaper than Oasis of the seas. It looks like oasis of the seas has better entertainment and is a nicer ship. We are looking to relax a little but love shore excursions and learning about other cultures. What's more important to you?

Itinerary hands down.

We've done over 50 cruises worldwide and can honestly say have never booked one because of the ship. Just not important to us as long as the overall ship experience (cabin, food, entertainment) fits our needs, which are not considerable.

We cruise to travel, not just to cruise.

Itinerary hands down.

We've done over 50 cruises worldwide and can honestly say have never booked one because of the ship. Just not important to us as long as the overall ship experience (cabin, food, entertainment) fits our needs, which are not considerable.

We cruise to travel, not just to cruise.

Same here.

We live near and sail out of Houston, TX. For some reason, most of the cruises are to the Western Caribbean which typically means Cozumel, Belize and Honduras. Some cruises go to Cozumel, Grand Caymans and Jamaica. In our opinion, the Western Caribbean does not include the best cruise stops. - But we still go because we like the ships themselves. They are like floating resorts. We may (or may not) get off at the stops and walk around but we're typically back on the ship by lunch. So, we definitely cruise for the ships much more than for the destinations!

Looking to book a 7 day cruise to the caribbean in November this year. We are debating between Vision of the seas western caribbean or Oasis of seas to eastern caribbean. We like the itinerary on vision of the seas and it is about $200 cheaper than Oasis of the seas. It looks like oasis of the seas has better entertainment and is a nicer ship. We are looking to relax a little but love shore excursions and learning about other cultures. What's more important to you?

What's important to you?

For us- it depends- we've done both cruises for the ship and for the itinerary. Both have been great in their own way- sitting in Central Park having a drink after seeing a great show is pretty awesome. As was seening a glacier from our balcony going to Alaska.

But, in the end, it's your vacation that you are taking, not mine.

For me it's a combination of both.

I want a ship that I can enjoy on sea days but also goes to ports that interest me. That being said, if I could book Oasis for $200 more than Vision I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

I'm a both person. However for someone planning a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean I feel that an Oasis class ship is what you should book. They truly are the best ships sailing the Caribbean. Save the smaller RCI ships for when you are looking to book an Exotic itinerary.

It depends.....But usually, I consider both. But, we consider the ship first, itenerary second, price third. This will change over time though.

I only considered the Med next year because Allure is there (plus the BOGOHO sale pushed us). So all three played a role, but it started with the ship.

But, since it's port intensive, there will be less ship time. Since we've been on both Allure and Oasis, not a big deal.

Edited by m*u*g*

What's important to you?

For us- it depends- we've done both cruises for the ship and for the itinerary. Both have been great in their own way- sitting in Central Park having a drink after seeing a great show is pretty awesome. As was seening a glacier from our balcony going to Alaska.

But, in the end, it's your vacation that you are taking, not mine.

Your comment about sitting in Central Park seeing a great show is what's making me debate between the two ships. You are right it's my vacation and I will do what my heart desires at the end but it's nice to hear what others think as I see this site as a wealth of information which has people willing to share their thoughts and help fellow travelers

However for someone planning a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean I feel that an Oasis class ship is what you should book. .

I have to respectfully disagree with this as a blanket statement. If itinerary is important, Oasis class Caribbean cruises are almost the last we'd choose. Limited port choices with more sea days than many other cruises.

Ports win for us! We are doing the Mediterranean in Sept and I figure the ship is our moving hotel with the security of knowing my family can find something to eat! (I have a some picky eaters!)

People are different though some like to vacation and relax and go to the beach and some (like us) like to be on the go most of the time! So which are you?

People are different though some like to vacation and relax and go to the beach and some (like us) like to be on the go most of the time! So which are you?

One of us likes to relax more on the ship and the other wants to explore more. We also want to spend time together and not do our own thing. I think we are going to go with better itinerary this time.

We have always picked a cruise based on price and itinerary. We recently switched our Oasis booking to a much better itinerary on Jewel. I have been on many if RCCL's ships and I have yet to be disappointed. I do want to try the Oasis at some point though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me it depends. I weigh the ships, itineraries, and costs and then decide. It is definitely the ships when choosing between eastern and western itineraries. I do love the different ships. I am going on my first southern itinerary next year and that is definitely about the ports because they are all new to me.