Aloha Shirts

Thrak

Of course, aloha shirts are part of my cruise wardrobe! Nothing says relaxation more. And they tend to hide my cruise gut (from all that great food).

One cruise I got a lot of compliments from some Hawaiian friends for my aloha shirts, and they asked where (on the islands) I got these great shirts. They couldn't believe it when I said: "Penney's". But it was true.

I can't imagine my Dad in any shirt other than a Hawaiian shirt. Sam's Club can't keep them in stock. Perhaps its a coastal thing, every college in California sells a Hawaiian print theme shirt in their bookstores.

I can't imagine wearing a tank top and overalls but, I certainly don't make fun of people that do.

Another Chicoan for Aloha shirts. Tommy's are my favorites, but I also have several Tori Richard's, which I like equally well. Standard attire for me on tropical cruises. On cold weather cruises I tend to take more long sleeve dress shirts, but will mix in a plain black or blue Tommy as well. From what I've seen on board, I never feel under dressed! :)

I found the Jamaica Jaxx on sale at Costco the week after I retired. Bought four on the spot and a week later went back and bought another two. That was two and a half years ago. They still look great (after ironing).

The Tommy B's are very nice as well, and are better quality than JJ's. Having a couple of them for more "formal" aloha wear is always a good idea.

The local Costco discontinued the Jamaica Jaxx shirts last year. I have no idea why. Costco is the only place I've ever seen that particular brand. I was not pleased by the move but it did prompt me to start buying the Tommy's and I agree they are much better quality (and more generously cut). It's just too bad they are so dang expensive! I buy them anyway though because "I want them!!!" :D

I'm a woman, not a man, but I always take multiple Aloha shirts with me on the Hawaiian cruise. In fact, usually I wear one each night to dinner (not formal night of course). I have a lot of ukuleles, so many of my shirts have an ukulele theme. I have one with the print of my alma mater (Fight on USC!) and a couple floral ones. My main problem is that it is hard to find interesting ones in women's cuts so I usually have to end up buying men's to get the patterns I like -- then they are too long and the sleeves also are too long.

As far as people who don't like it -- ehh, who cares? I don't like half the clothes I see people wearing, but as long as they are not indecent, it is none of my business. If they like them that is all that matters.

My husband wears them year round and I have zero issue with it. Heck, he even wore them up in Alaska with his cardigan. He loves the silk ones because they are the only shirts that don't irritate his bi-pass scar.

This is my favorite vacation picture of us...tropical shirt and sweater. :D

1235881_10201622571156968_1879978414_n_zpsd6369c26.jpg

Lisa

Since we retired to south Florida my husband's 'dress up' wardrobe is a nice aloha shirt and slacks. His 'casual' wardrobe is a nice aloha shirt and shorts :D. After over 30 years in a suit and tie who can begrudge him -- and I agree with many of the other posters that many of shirts are quite lovely.

When my DH retired, it took 3 years to get the smile off of his face, and like other posters, he loves his Aloha Shirts (all 8 of them) and from April thru Sept his outer wear consists of shorts & aloha shirts or brightly colored tee's!

I don't mind if people think I'm "old" for wearing them. I don't mind if they don't "get" it in a fashion sense. I just really get annoyed when people denigrate me or others for wearing them.

I have earned every gray hair and wrinkle and am enjoying my age like so many of us. My favorite saying is; "So far, this is the oldest I’ve ever been! But not as old as I am going to be!

Having said the above I probably should disclose that I do have my own "fashion faux pas" issues. I hate pants that sag and show your butt or underwear. I don't want to see either of these. I don't want to sit in a restaurant and see some woman's "whale tail" because she is wearing thong underwear with low-rise pants.

No body looks good with a "Plumbers Crack" showing! :rolleyes:

Love my Aloha Shirts and Shorts! Very comfortable.

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

I think Tommy Bahama made wearing Aloha shirts popular among the "older" set. I actually bought quite a few of them (and some non-aloha TB shirts) for my now-ex. They aren't the loud prints - love the flowers and subtle ferns and the subtle colors. At our country club, they were what all the men would wear if they weren't wearing a golf shirt (some wore them as their golf shirt). I went to a concert a few years ago in Virginia for the Dukes of September (Boz Scaggs, Michael McDonald, Donald Fagan). It was definitely a crowd of 50 and 60-somethings. I did get a chuckle because just about every guy in the crowd had an aloha shirt on! Each generation has to claim something as their own - I guess the Aloha shirt is the one of the Boomers ;)

But, I just don't like the ones that aren't silk/rayon (just don't hang right), have hula girls, ukeleles, and ones that call out your college. But like I said, my taste. As much as I loved Thomas Magnum in that red parrot shirt, I just don't like it on anyone else now…

I just wouldn't want my guy to wear them cities in Europe - I don't want him to stand out...

DH bought his first Aloha shirt in Hawaii 45 years ago (does that qualify as an antique?). He loves the Tommy Bahama & Caribbean brand now (silk). Our next 14 night cruise will have 11 Aloha shirts (with chino or black slacks) & 1 tux (with a couple of shirts) & if I can convince him a white dinner jacket ;).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by awhfy

I met my hubby 20 years ago when he was 38 and I have always known him to wear tropical shirts, unless he's going to work (once he became a supervisor) or working on the garden or cars or something else like that. He's on the slender, slight side and he just happens to like that look. I don't think he has any polo shirts. So I certainly don't see the problem with it at all. But maybe growing up in the Valley (fer shur)...

Here we are on our last cruise (which was to Hawaii, but this is what he'll wear to any "smart casual" dinner)

croppedpattyandharveyship_zps11fc0c29.jpg

But, I just don't like the ones that aren't silk/rayon (just don't hang right), have hula girls, ukeleles, and ones that call out your college. But like I said, my taste. As much as I loved Thomas Magnum in that red parrot shirt, I just don't like it on anyone else now…

I just wouldn't want my guy to wear them cities in Europe - I don't want him to stand out...

We love the tiki, hawaiian, polynesian theme/decor. Our bar is decorated in this style as is our tiki hut outside. Maybe this is why we love the tropical shirts. I really like the ones that are colorful with hula girls/men, tikis and orchids. We will wear them anywhere even if others aren't. It never occurred to me that we might be the only ones. I prefer the silk ones and TB is my favorite brand, but I also like the cotton ones. They breath more that polyester/rayon.

DH's fave aloha shirts are the Reyn Spooner ones made out of Spooner Kloth which is a poly-cotton blend and can be hand or machine washed and never need ironing.

And you won't stand out in Europe in an aloha shirt unless it is totally garish as many men there wear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's a time and place for everything, just like there are many different styles and colors that can fall into the bucket typically referred to as "Aloha shirts."

A Guayabera is acceptable in any casual or even smart casual (when paired with a nice pair of trousers and loafers or closed toe leather sandals) anywhere in the world--as long as the color and cut fit the season.

guayabera-quilla.jpg

Then there is the muted color Tommy Bahama style. Again these are fine for casual and most smart casual situations pretty much anywhere in the world. They look particularly nice in silk or linen, but silk can be really hot in a tropical climate.

a207918130e72404693eb6_m.jpg

I would avoid the ones with large "Tommy Bahama" logos across the back in Europe and pretty much anywhere outside the Caribbean and US, but then again I think it's generally tacky to wear anything with a designers logo so dominant on it.

TommyBahamaGrapefruitShirt.jpg

Then there are what many consider to be the true "Aloha" shirts. These are best left to be worn in the most casual situations--daytime in the Caribbean, casual dinners on cruises and at tropical resorts, block parties, etc. My husband has a couple of these and is forbidden to wear them outside of the above scenarios.

junglebird.gif

I really like Tommy Bahama shirts but I have been adding Hilo Hattie to my collection. Hilo Hattie has some bolder color patterns that I like. I even found an autumn leave pattern on eBay for my upcoming fall cruise in the NE. I have no real rules where and when I wear them other then not on formal night.

Here is another eBay find but a Ralf Lauren.

Shak

Shirt_zps26f1f6cc.jpg