Cruise passenger who handled ebola sample being returned to US.

woodley

I just read an article in Huffington post that a health worker that had handled the Ebola sample was confined to cabin awaiting her removal back to the USA. The was a self confinement according to the article. She had left on the cruise while she was on self monitoring but now arrangements were being made to return her to USA. It did not say which ship or where she was. It did say she not symptomatic.

IMHO, I don't think there is anything to worry about as Lab Techs alway use universal precautions when handling specimens. However, you never know. As I said on the other Ebola thread, Lab techs are trained and experienced in handling specimens from many infectious diseases unlike the nurses who were thrown into a situation that they were untrained for and poorly protected from.

All passengers are being given $200 OBC plus a 50% credit towards a future cruise. I feel badly for them since their cruise was essentially ruined by hysteria and mis-information. The Ministry of Belize claims that the lab supervisor has active symptoms which only adds to the false information and hysteria.

Blame the incompetent CDC and its embarrassingly pathetic head.

Well, CDC is leaving a bit to be desired but I squarely lay blame a little closer to home, like the hospital's lack of training its staff and not providing the correct personal protective equipment. (PPE)

Well, CDC is leaving a bit to be desired but I squarely lay blame a little closer to home, like the hospital's lack of training its staff and not providing the correct personal protective equipment. (PPE)

Adding to the problem is that, from what I have read, there are only four hospitals in the US that are "Level 4" and truly equipped to handle Ebola properly. The Dallas hospital in question is not one of them.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I just read on Sky News (MSN) that they are off the coast of Belize and that they are not being aloud to dock there. So sad for all of the passengers.

my understanding is they were allowed to dock in Belize, and other passengers were allowed to disembark, at least that is what is being reported on the Carnival thread.

Belize did refuse to fly the two persons back to the US...I can understand that.

Why are those that were involved in the handling of the Ebola patient who died going on planes and cruises?

The lab technician boarded the Carnival Magic on the 12th before she was notified that she was at risk. She found out while on the ship and has self quarantined in her room along with her partner and is monitoring her health. Try to keep up with the information coming out about the whole issue.

The lab technician boarded the Carnival Magic on the 12th before she was notified that she was at risk. She found out while on the ship and has self quarantined in her room along with her partner and is monitoring her health. Try to keep up with the information coming out about the whole issue.

Not at all true according to the CDC. The CDC notified the cruise ship about this passenger. She was happy to keep quiet about her possible contact with the Ebola virus.

Not at all true according to the CDC. The CDC notified the cruise ship about this passenger. She was happy to keep quiet about her possible contact with the Ebola virus.

She already was on the ship having boarded on the 12th. To avoid panic aboard the ship, she was told to keep it quiet and volunteered to stay in her stateroom along with her partner. She also is monitoring her temperature along with ship medical personnel.

I don't think any regular hospital in this country was prepared for Ebola. Duncan could walked into any one of them and it probably would have been the same result. CDC is not doing what it should to protect U.S. citizens. It spends money on ridiculous studies (flies getting drunk) and doesn't concentrate on serious diseases. It's head is an idiot who should step down. That's not to say the Dallas hospital performed at a high level. Maybe some good will come out of this and the U.S. will be the forerunner in coming up with a vaccine. I pray for both nurses!!

CBC news reported this afternoon that a Canadian- made vaccine they have been working on for years should be ready to try on medical personnel in Africa by December. Lets hope it really is ready by then and can start protecting those on the front lines of this dreaded virus, and ultimately all of us.

Ships don't actually dock in Belize - it is a tender port. CLIA says all cruise lines will be denying boarding to anyone who has been to the countries under a level 3 travel alert within 21 days and to anyone who has cared for a patient either suspected to have or confirmed to have ebola in the last 21 days. Ship's medical staff have been advised on detection, isolation and transfer guidance for anyone suspected of ebola.

My concern is when Noro gets going in the winter since the symptoms can be the same.

Edited by DebJ14

This is how crazy this has become. A lab technician- a person that handles possibly diseased blood every working day- is now a suspected transmitter of Ebola. Should we now quarantine every lab worker due to all of the disease processes that they come across every working day?

You do realize that MANY people handle Ebola every day. How do you think vaccines are developed? Ebola has be a victim in testing! Thus labs are handling Ebola every day! Quarantine those at the CDC. Quarantine the various employees of the companies working on vaccines. The list grows.

In todays news, an 18 year old female college student died in San Diego died from a highly contagious, easily transmitted bacterial disease. In her case they are notifying hundreds of possible contacts as it can be transmitted by things as simple as kissing and sharing a water bottle, or living is close quarters, like a student dorm. (Ebola is NOT that easily transmitted!). I expect San Diego to quarantined any minute, and more panic to set in.

Edited by CruiserBruce

IMHO, I don't think there is anything to worry about as Lab Techs alway use universal precautions when handling specimens. However, you never know. As I said on the other Ebola thread, Lab techs are trained and experienced in handling specimens from many infectious diseases unlike the nurses who were thrown into a situation that they were untrained for and poorly protected from.

So are nurses and we can now see what can happen to them. Lab technicians get lazy and/or make mistakes.