Mariner..Lisbon-Miami 10/13--11/3 Review

Responder

Responder,

I'm sorry to read your review but appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with us. Thank you! We've cruised hundreds of nights on Mariner (as well as Voyager & Navigator) and never experienced the circumstances, cost cutting, terrible service etc. very sad indeed.

You mentioned Mariner cutting out the daily periodicals...does this also mean the daily newspapers being delivered to the suites as in the past ? Is this the case on all 3 Regent ships? I'm disappointed about the cost cutting with the wines...truly NOT a sign of a luxury cruise line, and not to even give the guests a copy of the wine list available. Shame on Regent! I've never met the GM you had, curious if some of this is his directives or ??

Please email me a copy of whatever wine list you were able to obtain. Thanks very much. petlovermarcie at gmail dot com.

Responder,

I'm sorry to read your review but appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with us. Thank you! We've cruised hundreds of nights on Mariner (as well as Voyager & Navigator) and never experienced the circumstances, cost cutting, terrible service etc. very sad indeed.

You mentioned Mariner cutting out the daily periodicals...does this also mean the daily newspapers being delivered to the suites as in the past ? Is this the case on all 3 Regent ships? I'm disappointed about the cost cutting with the wines...truly NOT a sign of a luxury cruise line, and not to even give the guests a copy of the wine list available. Shame on Regent! I've never met the GM you had, curious if some of this is his directives or ??

Please email me a copy of whatever wine list you were able to obtain. Thanks very much. petlovermarcie at gmail dot com.

Based on our July Voyager cruise and October Mariner cruise, daily periodicals are still given out (unless they lose the connection which happens upon occasion). USA Today does not come out on weekends (at least not on board ships) so we opt for another paper on the weekends. We did not see any difference in the wines except that they did not have Bogle on our last sailing. The alternative was just as good. There was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary on our cruise. Some slowness during busy times in CR, etc. I could take a review I did 5 years ago and it would be similar to our recent experiences.

The G.M. currently on the Mariner is somewhat new to Regent (from Oceania). I believe he started out on the Navigator. We had him as the G.M. on our cruise last December and did not feel that he interacted with the guests as much as other G.M.'s and maybe did not understand what Regent guests expect. In July, he was great -- outgoing -- answered questions, etc. It took him a while but I think you would like him.

Based on our July Voyager cruise and October Mariner cruise, daily periodicals are still given out (unless they lose the connection which happens upon occasion). USA Today does not come out on weekends (at least not on board ships) so we opt for another paper on the weekends. We did not see any difference in the wines except that they did not have Bogle on our last sailing. The alternative was just as good. There was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary on our cruise. Some slowness during busy times in CR, etc. I could take a review I did 5 years ago and it would be similar to our recent experiences.

The G.M. currently on the Mariner is somewhat new to Regent (from Oceania). I believe he started out on the Navigator. We had him as the G.M. on our cruise last December and did not feel that he interacted with the guests as much as other G.M.'s and maybe did not understand what Regent guests expect. In July, he was great -- outgoing -- answered questions, etc. It took him a while but I think you would like him.

Isn't this a thread about responders experience on his cruise???

I do have the list..they don't list vintages and not all were available from day one....If you post some sort of email address, for those who want it, I will scan it and send it to you.

Responder - we would love to have the wine list as well. Please send to beliro1 at yahoo dot com

Thanks so much,

~Benita :)

Responder, thanks for your report. I hope that your experience was a one off. But, there seems to be quite a few of these reports recently.

IMO, the food service in the dining room gets messed up by the chef not handling the kitchen properly. The orders are delayed in the kitchen and everything back up with the waiter standing around waiting for the order.

I would like to say this is the F&B manager fault for not supervising, but I think it goes higher than that to whomever is hiring the Chef. The GM and F&B are stuck with what Corporate sends them. Some of the Oceania "cross-trained" chefs and sous-chefs should NOT be doing on the job training on a "Luxury Ship"

Do you know who the Head Chef was?

j

Completely reading the OP's initial post by the poster would have shown that the periodicals that the OP had stated were cancelled and not in place were the magazines in the library and in the Spa waiting area and NOT the daily newspapers provided to high ranking Seven Seas Society members.

Please don't reveal this to our Regent surrogate, but I'm sure they've changed it somewhat after re-provisioning in Miami.

The way it works is that the bean counters whose only knowledge of wine is the cost, order the wine and give the head Sommelier the job of choosing the ones to pour as well as choosing the "recommended" wines to post on the menus each night.

Although they maintain the pretense of pairing wine with food and even have costly tastings and free ones, I would guess that 95% of the passengers think the posted wine is special for that night.

One of my favorites is one called Enamore..from Argentina..of course it's on the premium list...at $58.00...the cost here retail is about $20,00..their cost-no tax or duty is about $11-12....they sell it for $58.00....and I had to hear numerous times that Regent has the lowest markup on all their premium wines. Since I prefer my red wine at cellar temp..62-65F, I had to wait every night for my chosen wine to go into an ice bucket for 10 minutes. Their premium wine cellar does not store the wines at the correct temperature....so much for luxury.

I do have the list..they don't list vintages and not all were available from day one....If you post some sort of email address, for those who want it, I will scan it and send it to you.

Could you send the wine list to me? Purple19gray@aol.com

Thanks much.

I may be missing something, but why not just post the wine list instead of having so many posters give out their email addresses? While we won't be on Regent until April, I'll be happy to post the included wine list that is in effect at that time. Keep in mind that things change......... the wine list from October, 2014 will likely not be the same wine list for future cruises.

Sorry for interfering with this thread -- just making a suggestion to make things easier.

I may be missing something, but why not just post the wine list instead of having so many posters give out their email addresses? While we won't be on Regent until April, I'll be happy to post the included wine list that is in effect at that time. Keep in mind that things change......... the wine list from October, 2014 will likely not be the same wine list for future cruises.

Sorry for interfering with this thread -- just making a suggestion to make things easier.

It would seem that the OP is happy communicating with fellow CC's. Also, what is the problem with giving out an e-mail address and who is it easier for?

You have the option of giving your e-mail to responder for the list, then, have the option of posting it yourself. You asked the question:)

I must concur with Responder on most issues. This was our 6 th and final cruise with Regent. Mariner being our very favorite ship we were so looking forward to sailing with our friends and enjoying the luxury that we've always experienced . We lost ports due to passenger illness and injury or inability to tender into port safely, not Regents fault. What seemed an ideal trans- Atlantic itinerary became monotonous as Regent made little effort to entertain during rainy days and missed ports. We have always had at least one evening deck party which was always a highlight- this has been cut . Wine selections were scarce or at times not available. Beef in Prime 7 is still tough. We also experienced the lag in service at tableside, on deck and during both lunch and breakfast. It was obvious to many that the wonderful stewards and wait persons are over worked because there are fewer of them. There were two other very disturbing incidents which I will not mention , but did report and Regent did respond immediately , to their credit. We were grateful to have our friends on board as the ship was rather overpopulated with seniors the average being 80. One evening we stopped in the lounge for an evening cocktail to find a couple sound asleep next to the piano player! The nightclub was empty every night . As for the onboard activity, most was just not our style. Lectures were excellent. I could go on , but I don't think Regent is going to change. We had hoped to sail her new ship in 2016 but ATTENTION TO DETAIL is severely lacking and unfortunately Regent has lost us as loyal passengers. We will look for a true Luxury cruise elsewhere.

This review of the Lisbon-Miami crossing posted recently does not seem to align with the experiences of others (including us):

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=265253

It is good to see that sam4881had good experiences and was not bothered by what we perceived as a slip in standards (minor but noticeable), lack of attention to detail and poor service in some areas compared to our last Transatlantic in 2013.

Agree with you Flossie, our past experiences on Trans Atlantic were both without problems and most memorable. Agree , Something is missing, and attention to detail is lacking. Our TA was informed and letter will be sent to Amex Corp. as well as Regent.