What's the Funnies Complaint You Ever Heard at Guest Relations?

johhnnyt

The best one I have heard personally was a lady demanding a refund for her entire cruise because she got a carton of milk on the buffet that the Best By date was the day previous. The agent asked if she got sick. She said no, but could have. Then he asked the most obvious question, "Why didn't you just grab another one?" I busted out laughing and walked away at that point.

Bret

This reminds me of the "sell by date" video circulating a few years ago. A woman, I believe on either a Disney, Carnival or RCCL cruise, videotaped herself interrogating a poor steward (or higher up personnel) about the contents of her stateroom fridge being out of date. It was mostly about the soft drink cans having an expired expiration date. Who knew Coke's could be out of date! :D The whole video was ridiculous!

The best one I have heard personally was a lady demanding a refund for her entire cruise because she got a carton of milk on the buffet that the Best By date was the day previous. The agent asked if she got sick. She said no, but could have. Then he asked the most obvious question, "Why didn't you just grab another one?" I busted out laughing and walked away at that point.

Bret

I wish they would stop using logic!! It confuses the complainer!

:D

There's a common thread to so many of these stories. Me me me me me me and me. It's funny but at the same time it's kinda sad. These people obviously lead very shallow lives where they believe the whole world is just there for their convenience and yet they've never developed the intelligence that should go with a position of such importance :rolleyes:

On our very first cruise, our card would not open the door. I went to Customer Service and was behind a man who was complaining (very loudly) that he couldn't possibly stay in his cabin because it didn't have a window..... but, Sir, you booked an inside cabin. Yes, but I thought it would have a window!

Oh, I didn't finish the story.:rolleyes: She got what she asked for...the nice comfy, roomy seats... AND... a screaming baby across the isle, for almost the entire 1.5 hours home! :D

It used to be the knuckleheads like the couple you mentioned were the one in a million people, more and more though you see that sense on entitlement with some people.

I've had a similar experience with a German Shepherd service dog. He and his owner were the nicest most polite passengers on board, and if you didn't know the dog was under the seat, you would have never suspected a dog was there. Amazing creatures those service dogs

I saw a guy recently at the airport almost knock over a 2 year old because he NEEDED to pre-board. It irked me so much I went to grab him, but before I did the child's Dad got right in his face with "PAL YOU IN THAT MUCH OF A HURRY?"

Edited by johhnnyt

I had a complaint that I reported to passenger service (when they weren't busy.)

I told them I had nothing to complain about. The cruise was great. But everyone else seemed to have complaints. We felt left out.

The passenger service person got a big kick out of it.

We were on a transatlantic on the Equinox and I used to sit in the comfy seats near Guest Services and read the daily news sheets. So I heard a lot of complaints! But the best was the couple insisting they had mice in the ceiling of their cabin, and demanding another cabin. When Guest Services tried to explain that ships move and creak a bit, but there were no mice, the couple weren't having it. They said they KNEW the sound of mice, and this was mice!

We were on a transatlantic on the Equinox and I used to sit in the comfy seats near Guest Services and read the daily news sheets. So I heard a lot of complaints! But the best was the couple insisting they had mice in the ceiling of their cabin, and demanding another cabin. When Guest Services tried to explain that ships move and creak a bit, but there were no mice, the couple weren't having it. They said they KNEW the sound of mice, and this was mice!

Too bad the guest services person didn't tell them that there are no mice on ships...if they heard something it was rats :) I bet that would have heated up the discussion :)

My DH & I are on the other end of the spectrum where if we have a complaint, we are apologetic about it. I am always surprised by the cruiseline's nice response.

DH had gotten some sour milk in the buffet and went back to get another and it had also turned. He just mentioned it to one of the servers. A supervisor came by and asked for his name and cabin number. A dish of chocolate covered strawberries showed up and at least 3 phone calls asking if everything else was ok. They were so nice about it and it was really nothing.

Another time, we had just boarded and wanted late seating instead of early. The passenger in front of us was just haranguing the maitre'd something awful about his dining time. The maitre'd just said the pax would have to be on a waiting list. DH stepped up and commented on the other person's rudeness and "it's a shame what you have to put up with". He very politely asked if we could change, if possible. "No problem, sir".

I raised my children with the premise that being polite would cost you nothing and get you far more, while being rude was always counter-productive. Too bad most people weren't raised this way.

Sue

Edited by shofer

I raised my children with the premise that being polite would cost you nothing and get you far more, while being rude was always counter-productive. Too bad most people weren't raised this way.

Sue

Down south we have a cute little saying: "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

NOT a cruiseship story, but I worked in Guest Services at Disneyland, so I really know what the guest services people on the ships have to deal with!!!

Disney is KNOWN for going above and beyond, and most people know that if they complain, they can get something for free from the parks. In fact, during training, they actually call it "making magic for the guests." Only sometimes, no matter how much you would LIKE to help the guests, you just can't-or won't! And while "making magic" was sometimes the highlight of my day, the ones you don't help are the ones that make you laugh your butt off!!!

Working in guest services, though, you can't let the nasty ones get to you!! You have to let it roll off like water on a duck's back. But I swear, I'd LOVE to sit down with someone that works there and swap stories!!!

NOT a cruiseship story, but I worked in Guest Services at Disneyland, so I really know what the guest services people on the ships have to deal with!!!

Disney is KNOWN for going above and beyond, and most people know that if they complain, they can get something for free from the parks. In fact, during training, they actually call it "making magic for the guests." Only sometimes, no matter how much you would LIKE to help the guests, you just can't-or won't! And while "making magic" was sometimes the highlight of my day, the ones you don't help are the ones that make you laugh your butt off!!!

Working in guest services, though, you can't let the nasty ones get to you!! You have to let it roll off like water on a duck's back. But I swear, I'd LOVE to sit down with someone that works there and swap stories!!!

You should read Mousetrapped: A Year and A Bit in Orlando, Florida by Catherine Ryan Howard

What is the funniest complaint you ever heard (or overheard) at guest relations?

I know this is a very tricky subject, since One man's trash is another man's treasure, but what was the one think you heard that really made you laugh?

One of my favorites I think was onboard a TA, we stopped in France, and took an excursion to Nice, half way there a woman complained that she wanted to be taken back to the ship, because she didn't expect to be on a bus for an hour. The guide explained to her they couldn't turn the bus around just for her, she then insisted she and her husband be left in the next town "and we'll arrange our own transportation back to the ship"

The next day she was down at guest relations, demanding that

• The guide be fired for ignoring her
  • That she be reimbursed €400 for the money that it cost her to hire a boat to bring her back to the ship (although she had misplaced the receipt for her voyage back to the ship)

The people at guest relations tried their best to calm her down, but explained to her that neither request was going to happen, since they didn't do anything wrong. Fellow passengers who were in line at guest relations could not stop laughing, which no doubt infuriated her even more. She ultimately stormed away saying her travel insurance would surely cover this and Celebrity should expect a call from her attorney.

I guess it takes all kinds.

This person next to me I overhead was LIVID that a dos equis was charged to her card and she has the Classic Package. Then she says NO I NEVER ordered that, never. This dropped out of the sky. He says "fine I will take the charge off right now"....Then she says "my husband did order a dos equis" and he has the upgraded package. So the man at guest relations said "oh did he ever get a drink for you?" and she says "Yes he does-- but he ALWAYS takes my card". So the man at reception said "well I bet that is what happened, the bartender switched the cards" (which IS what happened) and she starts screaming NO that is NOT What happened, he always takes my card- why is this drink on my bill? Why I never ordered this never!! So again the guy at the desk says "no I was just saying it may have accidentally..." then she cuts him off and says NO NO NO NO NO that is NOT what happened..then the desk clerk just dropped it and took the charge off.

We were behind a guy at GR who was screaming at the agent that this ****** ship was giving him a migraine and demanding to be moved to a suite. That was apparently the only thing that would relieve his headaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were behind a guy at GR who was screaming at the agent that this ****** ship was giving him a migraine and demanding to be moved to a suite. That was apparently the only thing that would relieve his headaches.

Secret's out - the migraine medicated infused air they pump into the suites. I had been keeping this as the most secret of the secret suite perks. May as well let people know the suites also are designed so they don't experience even the slightest of motion in rocky seas. It's really a mechanical marvel how that's done.

Secret's out - the migraine medicated infused air they pump into the suites. I had been keeping this as the most secret of the secret suite perks. May as well let people know the suites also are designed so they don't experience even the slightest of motion in rocky seas. It's really a mechanical marvel how that's done.

Well Dang - I knew there was a reason why they were always booked!