Rude, Rude Rude passengers!!!

We can all have bad days from time to time, saying and doing things that we regret later. But there are people who "enjoy" being unhappy and making others feel the same way. Such folks need to be avoided but when you run into them, match their unhappiness with joy!

I have re-read the Princess info on dress policy and NO WHERE does it state it only applies to the Dining Rooms.

This is from the princess.com FAQ section in the Cruise Answer Place on what to wear:
Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

It does limit the dress policy to the dining room venues, not the entire ship. A similar statement was in the Patter on my two cruises last month.

I have re-read the Princess info on dress policy and NO WHERE does it state it only applies to the Dining Rooms.

Here's the quote (I added the bold): When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

And here is where it came from: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

Click on "Onboard Atmosphere"

I have been a “lurker” on CC for years. I can always get great info from just sitting on the side lines. I watch for the meet & greets and just show up. Thank you to all the posters who I have been able to gleam some great tips and info.

Last week I sailed on Island Princess, and now feel the need to ask a question, which I am hoping the CC community can shed some light on.

My cruise was great. The ship’s staff continually went above and beyond to make sure my family had an excellent vacation. Consummate Host… they nailed it. EVERYONE (member of the crew) went so far, above and beyond.

My question is this. Why on earth do so many passengers act in such a rude and discourteous manner when dealing with these hard working people, or “the help” as I heard on particularly nasty lady refer to them as. These same people I also found to be rude to other passengers. Disregarding any requests – whether lining up for a show and refusing to join the line, or wearing a track suit on formal night. One incident happened when some passenger refused to join the line for the Bayou show in the back lounge, even though we had been waiting as asked for 20 minutes. When the got inside the ran to the front and placed clothing over 8 seats. These 2 young men from Holland (who had been patiently waiting in line with us and were lovely) asked them to move their items and a fist fight almost started and security was called. I actually asked one such person if that was their formal track suit. I also witnessed a family come down from the Horizon Court and bring into the show a plate of food each and eat their dinner while watching the show, in shorts & tees on formal night! I would encounter these "rudeys" many times each and every day.

I believe if these people acted like this in a upscale hotel, they would be asked to leave.

One incident really stuck in mind and involved the cruise director, Richard Joseph – who I must say is the best in the 8 cruises I have taken. Talk about the consummate pro! Anyway the last evening I witnessed a man approach Richard and his assistant Fab outside the theatre and complain about a lady videotaping the show. The man told Rich he had told Fab about it, and Fab did nothing. Rich asked Fab (in front of the man) if that was the case, and Fab responded no that he had spoken with the lady who was taking still photos with no flash, which Richard told the man was allowed. Fab explained to Rich that he had already told the man this. The man told Richard the lady was lying that she was indeed video taping. Rich’s reply was there was no way for Fab to be sure as the show was going on and to do anything further would have been disruptive to the performance. Rich then apologized to the man if this disturbed his enjoyment of the show. The man they raised hos voice and said fine so I’m the passive aggressive jerk, almost bating the Cruise Director to agree with him. Rich would have no part of it and again apologized. It was funny to watch because the nastier the man became, both Rich & Fab actually became nicer, which was making the man MORE upset he could get no negative reaction from either of them. Finally after 10 minutes of taunting from this AGGRESSIVE Jerk (there was nothing passive about it) Rich asked he could assist with anything further, and the man said you have not assisted me at all our conversation is done and stormed off. I then approached Rich and Fab and commended them both and Rich smiled and said it was not a big deal. I was just amazed that after someone did their best to wind these 2 up – neither took the bait. I was also impressed to see that Rich was using the situation to teach his assistant, at least that was my take of it.

What else did I see – people sitting in the Theatre at the end of the row rather then moving down, not big deal, but then give people dirty looks that asked to sit in the row, thus making the people on the end have to stand so they could get by. One guy actually refused and told the passenger to find another row!

At the front desk it was the same story, as in the dining rooms. People just treating the whole crew horridly.

My question is why do people think they can get away with such rudeness and why do the cruise lines put up with it. Has anyone ever heard on someone being blacklisted because of their rude behavior.

I love cruising, and I love Princess – but after what I just witnessed last week, unfortunately I think a change in cruise line may by needed, perhaps to a more upscale cruise line. Can anyone let me know if lines like Oceania, Regent and Seabourn have the same type of bad behavior from their guests?

Why are you surprised?

One encounters rude people everywhere, not just on cruises.

People are people. Expect the worst from the worst.

Try to ignore them as best you can, and try to enjoy your cruise. :)

My opinion is some people are rude, whether they realize they are doing it...only they can say.

We were on a cruise and it was 2nd seating in the main DR and we had a table for 2. There were large tables that all the people left and sat at first seating or changed to anytime and we and another table for 2 were the only ones the waiter and assistant had. We had excellent service as usual.

Anyways, halfway through the cruise I was in the elevator coming back from the pool and this lady cornered me and got in my face and wanted to know who we were that we were getting such wonderful service. I didn't know what to say. Her husband just said nothing. There was another man in the elevator who said, you must have a table for 2. I said yes we did, also I mentioned that the big tables were canceled out. They sat at one of those large tables and yes, we were done eating before they were, but we don't get all the stuff, that's why we do the table for 2. I was very uncomfortable, but that nice I noticed her pointing us out to the rest of the table. Oh well, we just said we can't believe people waste precious vacation time on stuff like this. Some people just like drama.

My husband and I have been cruising on many different cruse ships and lines all over the world since the early 70's. I have seen a huge difference in cruisers over this time and am shocked but what I am seeing today. Perhaps it's lack of parental training for some or an increased anger in this world by many. I will continue to cruise and smile at everyone (try it, it helps) and hope that I don't have too much interaction with these extremely rude people. The sad thing is that the crew who try to bend over to provide the services that you expect are the ones that usually get yelled at by some irate passenger who thinks they deserve everything and in turn give nothing to receive it!

My opinion is some people are rude, whether they realize they are doing it...only they can say.

We were on a cruise and it was 2nd seating in the main DR and we had a table for 2. There were large tables that all the people left and sat at first seating or changed to anytime and we and another table for 2 were the only ones the waiter and assistant had. We had excellent service as usual.

Anyways, halfway through the cruise I was in the elevator coming back from the pool and this lady cornered me and got in my face and wanted to know who we were that we were getting such wonderful service. I didn't know what to say. Her husband just said nothing. There was another man in the elevator who said, you must have a table for 2. I said yes we did, also I mentioned that the big tables were canceled out. They sat at one of those large tables and yes, we were done eating before they were, but we don't get all the stuff, that's why we do the table for 2. I was very uncomfortable, but that nice I noticed her pointing us out to the rest of the table. Oh well, we just said we can't believe people waste precious vacation time on stuff like this. Some people just like drama.

As others have noted, cruise critic can be an excellent source of wisdom. Here's a bit of advice someone posted about how to deal with people like these.

Do not attempt to engage them or defend yourself. Simply look at them, smile very generously, and give them a big wink. It's pretty much guaranteed to really p*** them off. Oh, you can throw in a big wave too if you think it appropriate.

I'm going to admit to being one of those people who sit at the end of the row and don't move down (but I don't glare at people when I have to get up either). I'm 5 feet even and if I don't sit on the end of a row on the sidelines, I can kiss seeing any part of the show goodbye. If I get there early, why should I have to miss out on seeing the show because I was moving into a worse seat for the convenience of someone else who got there after I did?

As far as rude people, there are rude people everywhere in all walks of life. There are rich and entitled, and you will will find them on the upper cruise lines and poorer and entitled that you will find on the lower cruise lines. Society in general is becoming an entitled society and forgetting about proper behavior.

I wish that there were still nights where everyone would dress in formal/semi-formal attire all over the ship, or at least in the dining rooms and theatres, but I know those days are gone. So, I try not to let it bother me and simply enjoy dressing up for myself. My husband wears a tux, but even he starts to think he won't do that as fewer and fewer men are doing so. Essentially, enough people complained about formal nights and the cruise lines caved to keep the business. If enough people complained about people not in formal attire, the policies might change again. Such is the nature of business.

I wish the OP the best of luck in finding a cruise line that will cater to their preferences, but I have a feeling that rude people will be encountered everywhere.

So let me get this straight Mark - cruiselover4ever&ever writes a post complimenting how the Cruise Director handled a very difficult passenger and you respond with the attack above?

Class act - I'll look for you in a track suit next formal night..............

I agree !!! :(

As others have said, you can find rude and inconsiderate people just about anywhere, on a cruise, at a hotel, or in a store back home.

One pet peeve of mine is concerning behavior while on a cell phone. People talking loudly about personal or financial subjects at a restaurant (loud enough that you can even catch their bank account number or other personal info) and often on the phone while sitting with others. People doing the phone-zombie dance while walking in a parking lot (so that we drivers have to watch out for them suddenly walking in front of us). People keeping a phone conversation happening while a cashier is ringing up their purchases -- rude to the clerk and rude to those in back of the caller as often w have to wait for them to put down their phone to pay, etc.

A couple of cruises ago we encountered rude talkers at two different shows. Both times I had to turn around and put my finger to my lips -- and both times had to escalate to a shushing, and yes, this was during the shows. Seriously, folks, if you just want to gab with your friends, go to a lounge. Don't be inconsiderate to your fellow passengers and to the performers trying to entertain us. For those who are sitting on the aisle, they need to be aware to not block other's path into that row. It's like on a plane where there's certain rows and seats that need to be accessible by others. If you want to make a quick exit, go for seats near the back.

As for saving seats, that one seat rule is really more if your spouse or friend needs to make a quick pit stop before the show. I don't think it's so that each person in that party can save a seat each just so others can finish dinner, etc. Else, you're saving seats pure and simple and that's not allowed and certainly not considerate.

As for bringing in food, there isn't any sign outside the theater or lounges that say no food allowed. I know that I have brought a dessert plate with me into the Princess Theater to watch an afternoon movie. Others will bring in a cocktail. It may be awkward to try to consume a whole meal in there if every seat is taken (certainly not other food that will involve silverwear that will be clanging).

As for the OP's comments, I echo those who suggest it was perhaps untoward for the comment to Mr. Track Suit. If the poster had previous cruise experience on just about any line (other than perhaps Cunard), he would know that some people don't go to the MDRs on formal night, and thus, do not have to dress up to meet the dress code. If in doubt, you can always read up on the Princess website to know that there are many venues for dinner, and could have also read the info some have cited about how the dress code is for those dining in the MDRs (I always read up on the FAQs before a cruise, just in case anything has changed from the last time on that cruise line). And even then, it's not a passenger's job to confront another passenger about dress.

As for videotaping, etc., again that's for the CD's staff and other crew members to enforce so that the man that the OP heard complaining, well, that wasn't that guy's job (so unless the woman was directly interfering with his ability to watch -- say, she was holding the camera over her head and blocking his view -- he needed to stay out of that). It may have been interesting for the OP to watch that whole discussion, but other than that, seemed like the ten minutes (per the OP's post) plus the rest of the time, really a whole chunk of time to be concerned with this when it had nothing to do with him.

"What else did I see – people sitting in the Theatre at the end of the row rather then moving down"

I am one of those "rude" passengers that sits on the end of a row. I have intestinal problems and sometimes need to leave quite quickly. I would much rather sit at the end and let people in to sit in the center, than sit in the center and have to leave suddenly.

The OP didn't say people who sit in the ends are rude. He said it is not very nice when these people give dirty looks to people who ask them to let them pass so they can sit further down in the row.

Edited by delirious9876

A couple of cruises ago we encountered rude talkers at two different shows. Both times I had to turn around and put my finger to my lips -- and both times had to escalate to a shushing' date=' and yes, this was [b']during[/b] the shows. Seriously, folks, if you just want to gab with your friends, go to a lounge. Don't be inconsiderate to your fellow passengers and to the performers trying to entertain us.

Agreed! This is one my peeves! Why oh why do people go to ANY show ANYWHERE and do this?? I've been to movies, concerts, etc. where the people simply will NOT.SHUT.UP. For Pete's sake just stay home or go to a bar and talk!

As far as the other points the OP made, I don't think it's rude to be in casual wear outside the dining room on formal night. You have no way to know what time the people ate and if they were in their formal wear in the MDR earlier/later. I say MYOB on this one.

We usually try to get an aisle seat if available, but would not stop others from coming in the row. That's just weird.

"What else did I see – people sitting in the Theatre at the end of the row rather then moving down"

I am one of those "rude" passengers that sits on the end of a row. I have intestinal problems and sometimes need to leave quite quickly. I would much rather sit at the end and let people in to sit in the center, than sit in the center and have to leave suddenly.

I realize the OP has clarified his/her statement about End-Aislers and I'm glad. Saves me having to rant on that!

Regarding the comment about the track suit - how can you say that to someone? Do you know what is going on in their life that has brought them to wear a track suit? They could have a catheter that can't be hidden well enough under other clothing, have recently gained a lot of weight due to a medical condition or maybe they can't put on regular pants? (I know people that can't do that and must wear elastic-waist garments.)

You have to make allowances for other people when you don't know the circumstances.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
OP's clarification on Page2 on those sitting in the aisle end seats

I agree with this and need to address a few issues the OP mentioned. We specifically get to a show 30-50 mins. early to get seats on the end of the row for medical reasons.

There's NOTHING wrong with not moving down the row when people come to sit in the theater later than you. We've made the special effort to get there early. It's not our fault someone else has decided to come in after us. They can shuffle down the aisle.

Also, regarding the comment about the track suit - how can you say that to someone? Do you know what is going on in their life that has brought them to wear a track suit? They could have a catheter that can't be hidden well enough under other clothing, have recently gained a lot of weight due to a medical condition or maybe they can't put on regular pants? (I know people that can't do that and must wear elastic-waist garments.)

You have to make allowances for other people when you don't know the circumstances.

Same here. If a person goes out of their way to get an end seat (and not for any medical reason) there's no reason they should be forced to give up their seat to a late comer who arrives 10 minutes before show time.

It's always been first come first served.

BTW- the Vista lounge on the Island is typically a cool show lounge and a track suit would probably feel more comfortable.

There are unhappy and rude people everywhere. However on a cruise ship where everyone is packed in together, they are more noticeable. I liked the comment about smiling and give the whiners a wink as it will drive them crazy.

Not everyone goes to the MDR on formal nights with some going to the HC in shorts and tshirt. Formal night is for the MDR only so expect to see pax dressed in just about every manner around the ship. The world is becoming less formal (witness casual Fridays at work etc) and the cruise lines are following the trend. I don't think formal is coming back into our society anytime soon.

The saving of seats can result in really nasty confrontations particularly when seating is at a premium. Pax should not do it but they do. It is not worth getting into a large confrontation over it. The same is true of those who reserve lounge chairs around the pool.

The crew are not allowed to get into a confrontation with an angry pax as their job is at stake. Smiling and taking the abuse is the order of the day. Becoming angry when confronted by someone who is angry will do nothing but escalate the anger to the point of becoming a real problem.

What another pax wears in the MDR on formal night has no impact on enjoying my meal. I do watch what others are wearing on formal nights or any other night while I am waiting to enter the MDR simply out of curiosity but once inside I have better things to do like enjoy my meal. Pax attire is the problem for the MDR staff. I must admit though that I have not seen anyone going into the MDR in an athletic suit for dinner.

Tony1878

Don't be put off with all the "my opinion is the only opinion" attitude.

We have seen and heard all this before and it will always be there.

Look for all the good things and smile when you see behaviour that makes you cringe.

Every cruise we have been on the good outweighs the bad.

I just want to repeat that you can encounter rude people anywhere. How much they spend on a cruise has nothing to do with it.

True. Changing cruise lines won't guarantee you'll find nothing but polite people. BTW I like how this thread turned into formal night fights so fast! LOL.

On the Royal in Oct a woman stated screaming at a man who sat down in the handicapped area in the theater. She was telling him he had no right to take the seat he was sitting in. He had a walker. It was awful. :(

Edited by janetz

I like to sit at the end so I can leave the show if I don't like it or to be the first to leave when the show is over. I don't mind standing up and let others take a seat on the other side of me.

As for the track suit, that doesn't bother me either. I imagine myself being at WalMart and get a laugh at some of the things people wear. And, as for the CD and the man griping about someone video tapping, it's really none of my business, sounds like the CD and his assistant had it handled without anyone else stepping into the rift.

I've seen worse on cruises than what the OP has stated. I don't involve myself in it--unless it directly involves me.

Edited by elliair

I'm going to admit to being one of those people who sit at the end of the row and don't move down (but I don't glare at people when I have to get up either). I'm 5 feet even and if I don't sit on the end of a row on the sidelines, I can kiss seeing any part of the show goodbye. If I get there early, why should I have to miss out on seeing the show because I was moving into a worse seat for the convenience of someone else who got there after I did?

As far as rude people, there are rude people everywhere in all walks of life. There are rich and entitled, and you will will find them on the upper cruise lines and poorer and entitled that you will find on the lower cruise lines. Society in general is becoming an entitled society and forgetting about proper behavior.

I wish that there were still nights where everyone would dress in formal/semi-formal attire all over the ship, or at least in the dining rooms and theatres, but I know those days are gone. So, I try not to let it bother me and simply enjoy dressing up for myself. My husband wears a tux, but even he starts to think he won't do that as fewer and fewer men are doing so. Essentially, enough people complained about formal nights and the cruise lines caved to keep the business. If enough people complained about people not in formal attire, the policies might change again. Such is the nature of business.

I wish the OP the best of luck in finding a cruise line that will cater to their preferences, but I have a feeling that rude people will be encountered everywhere.

I'm about the same height, and physically disabled mobility and sight-wise. I do have Opthamologist-prescribed telescopic magnifiers that bring my sight up to 2 ROWS BELOW NORMAL EYESIGHT!. I found that sitting in the end seat and keeping a walking stick in plain sight beside me, tucked between my body and the arm of the chair seems to discourage most rudeness-I've actually had 2 footballers move in close behind, and slightly to the side of me to "run interference" at a show when we got up for the Interval. both tall and well-built, politely reminding people to, "Give the Disabled Lady time to move safely please." Even the most excited of the kids slowed down and moved carefully past me. I always go down stairs backwards, holding on to the handrail, so if I slip, I slide feet-first. Coming back, 3 of the more excitable kids formed an arc around me, moving step-by-step, warning when a crowd came to, "Hold still, let the pushy ones through Miss." One of our local Dr's came to commend them for helping me, they seemed to grow with pride. The design of the theatre is a curved banking of seats so I sit on the Left-hand side so I can use the Telescopic Lens more easily. Try to do concerts where you're listening more than seeing where possible too.

Crochetcruise :cool:

...Regarding the comment about the track suit - how can you say that to someone? Do you know what is going on in their life that has brought them to wear a track suit? They could have a catheter that can't be hidden well enough under other clothing, have recently gained a lot of weight due to a medical condition or maybe they can't put on regular pants? (I know people that can't do that and must wear elastic-waist garments.)

Yes, all the people wearing track suits on formal nights have a medical condition. And all the people wearing baseball-type hats are hiding chemotherapy hair loss. Come on. What would these people do in a business situation? Or at a formal wedding on land? They just don't care to dress but do want everyone to see that they're given their middle finger to the requested manner of dress. (I'm on vacation and it's all about me, me, me!)

I have to disagree with you because bad behavior - in its various forms - is rarely challenged these days because it is deemed "being judgemental". To apply your "track suit logic" to the people who bring in plates of food to consume during the show, perhaps we're passing judgement on a diabetic who must eat to balance their insulin level? So if the person seated next to you is eating finger food, and you constantly have an elbow poking in your direction, don't get angry but have some compassion. Hey, we have to make allowances for circumstances.