Beverage Package Pricing Increase

By that reckoning if you stick with the classic package you will have to pay $6 a day to receive it

No, I do not believe so. Once you have it, it is yours. The only way you can be charged more is if it is upgraded. The question is if the upcharge is from $49 or $55. It makes no sense for it to be calculated at $49 if the current price is $55 (after the date of price increase).

Wouldn't the new difference between the two packages still be $10 per day + 18% gratuity? Or are you saying that the Classic Package perk will be considered at its old price when upgrading instead of its new price?

Thank you.

That would make sense as you already have the classic package and it is a $10 differential between the 2 packages plus the 18%

Anyone who already HAS a Classic beverage package - whether they bought it or received it as a "gift" (perk) - should be able to upgrade before or during their cruise for the $10 plus 18% gratuity price. That still is (and WAS) the difference in price between Classic and Premium.

Anything more than that is simply greed by Celebrity, as well as a rip-off.

When we booked our cruise in January, the upgrade cost $80.50 ($10 x 7 x 15%). Now it's going to cost $132.16 ($16 x 7 x 18%). Sorry but not worth it, IMO. I'll just buy a martini with OBC if I really want one. But I think it's kind of low for Celebrity to keep changing the rules, especially with almost no notice. It's April 1 and this goes into effect April 6? Low...

Wow! Guess I'm glad we are sailing April 5! We have the classic pkg via 123Go promo so since we are leaving on the 5th I'm safe to assume that when we upgrade on the ship (want to use OBC to upgrade) we will still pay the $10/day + gratuity no matter what day we decide to upgrade.....although it will probably be immediately upon boarding! We don't have any future cruises currently booked so we aren't affected, but I feel bad for all of you that do. That stinks!!

Celebrity Cruises -- once again, thank you for giving us a heads-up on an impending price increase. Folks on the RC (and other cruiseline) boards seem to get blind-sided by things like this, on a regular basis -- because they don't have anyone to warn them about upcoming changes. I think that we all would appreciate any details or clarification that you can give us on the new pricing for the drink packages. :cool:

Just so I'm understanding what you said: if we already have the Classic Package (as a booking promo perk), we can call X and upgrade to the Premium Package (at the current price) -- before April 20th? Does this include cruises booked out as far as 2017?

Thanks again (we really DON'T mean to shoot the messenger ;):o)!

Edited by wwcruisers

When we booked our cruise in January, the upgrade cost $80.50 ($10 x 7 x 15%). Now it's going to cost $132.16 ($16 x 7 x 18%). Sorry but not worth it, IMO. I'll just buy a martini with OBC if I really want one. ...

Definitely something to consider.. I had figured that at about $12 per day to upgrade - that was the cost of one martini - or part of a decent glass of wine. (Still expected to pay the difference even with the premium - but with classic you are out the entire cost of the non-covered drink.)

If it really does go up to almost $20 per day to upgrade - I may just decide to use OBC to pay out of pocket for the extra martini and glass of wine. Or - as Vulcan and others have stated, I could pay now and get the current price difference. I just need to decide what else to do with my OBC :)

I booked the an April Summit cruise (April 11th) with a TA. How do I upgrade the Classic beverage package online "pre-cruise"?

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/plan-and-book/before-you-go?customizedForwardAction=book_shore_excursions&pageActionLabel=Book+Shore+and+Land+Excursions&componentTypeCategoryId=2002

OMG - Inflation has really hit hard. I know the Stock Holders need to get their Dividends and the Company needs the revenue to keep afloat.

They also raised the Specialty Restaurants late last year.

Tips went from 15% to 18% which was a 20% increase a month or so ago and now -

Percentages of Package changes:

12% - Soda Package $8.00 --> $9.00

14% - Premium Water Package $14.00 --> $16.00

13% - Classic N/A Beverage Package $16.00 --> $18.00

10% - Premium N/A Beverage Package $20.00 --> $22.00

12% - Classic Beverage Package $49.00 --> $55.00

10% - Premium Beverage Package $59.00 --> $65.00

What is going up next?

I'm sure the servers are very happy! They just got another raise! Good for them.

Anyone who already HAS a Classic beverage package - whether they bought it or received it as a "gift" (perk) - should be able to upgrade before or during their cruise for the $10 plus 18% gratuity price. That still is (and WAS) the difference in price between Classic and Premium.

Last time beverage package prices changed, they handled it this way.

Upgrades was $10 variance either way, so only $10 plus ratty to upgrade. No doubt that will be handled similarly with this change.

Am I missing something here, or are most people complaining about Celebrity raising the price of something that for most, was free in the first place.:confused:

The issue is a lot of people were considering upgrading the package from classic to premium for 10$ +18% per day onboard. However, from what the celebrity rep mentioned, the upgrade price would be 16$+18% gratuity thus costing 100$ more per couple for the upgrade.

The issue is a lot of people were considering upgrading the package from classic to premium for 10$ +18% per day onboard. However, from what the celebrity rep mentioned, the upgrade price would be 16$+18% gratuity thus costing 100$ more per couple for the upgrade.

Unfortunately, this is exactly what I was just told by a Captains Club person.

Just doesn't seem right. You should get credit for the $55+18% since that is what the Classic will be when you board.

I'm hoping it changes to what I just wrote.:confused:

Am I missing something here, or are most people complaining about Celebrity raising the price of something that for most, was free in the first place.:confused:

With all of their promotions Celebrity advertised an upgrade of $10.00 per person/per day + gratuity. Based on information from "Celebrity Cruses" the "official" poster, the upgrade will now be $16 per person/per day.

Even though there are no current promotions I can't imagine that there will not be one in the future offering a "free" classic beverage package and giving the option to upgrade to premium for the difference between classic & premium. Under the new pricing the cost to upgrade will still be $10.00 pp/pd.

For those of us who booked several cruises years in advance, we have a 2017 cruise booked, why are we being penalized for an early booking if we want to upgrade a beverage package. (Yes, I know all the arguments for early booking but there are also last minute deals out there.)

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

With all of their promotions Celebrity advertised an upgrade of $10.00 per person/per day + gratuity. Based on information from "Celebrity Cruses" the "official" poster, the upgrade will now be $16 per person/per day.

Even though there are no current promotions I can't imagine that there will not be one in the future offering a "free" classic beverage package and giving the option to upgrade to premium for the difference between classic & premium. Under the new pricing the cost to upgrade will still be $10.00 pp/pd.

For those of us who booked several cruises years in advance, we have a 2017 cruise booked, why are we being penalized for an early booking if we want to upgrade a beverage package. (Yes, I know all the arguments for early booking but there are also last minute deals out there.)

I think you hit the nail on the head...

I am frustrated (and I think a lot of people are) because I have been told and I have read that I could upgrade the package for 10$+18% per day. We choose that perk for that reason. I do not drink alcohol, but my husband does, and for what he likes, he wanted the ability to pay an upcharge instead of the full price of something. It has been advertised as such, so independently of the price of the package, the upcharge should be what it has been announced, written, told, and so forth.

We booked with one of the offered perks being a free classic beverage package....it did not have a price...it was valued at a price. As far as I can see, the upgrade price is still $10 between the package I was offered and the premium package.

I hate to bring up legal things again...but we didn't book a $49 package....we were offered the classic beverage package. This will be another disaster in the UK and the EU where the laws are quite a bit clearer than in the US.

Celebrity Cruises...hope you're following this thread...if the price increase is real. I think someone has to go back and read your 1-2-3 offers. "we can change anything at any time" really doesn't fly here....if the new upgrade price is $10, then it's $10 for all of us.

If you board the ship with a classic package, purchased or given as part of a promo, your card will be encoded with the code for the classic package. If I go to a bar and ask to upgrade to premium, how on earth would that server know when I received, or purchased, the original package, so whether to charge $10 or $16 for the upgrade?

I doubt whether their bar till system allows them see that kind of information, or that the server would be inclined to complicate his job and risk aggravating his customers by charging some $10 per diem upgrade, and others $16.

My cruise for which I received the free package is in 2017, when presumably 95% of my fellow passengers will have received or purchased their package at a time the new prices were in place, so no way will they be verifying for each passenger what to charge for the upgrade.

Unless they intend to charge everybody $16 to upgrade classic to premium, as of now, by default, even though the difference in full package cost is still $10, but that would be incredibly unlikely.

Edited by [g]cruiserke

I have three cruises scheduled. I just upgraded to the premium package for my next cruise.

If I upgrade to the premium package on the other cruises, and then decide not to go, is the amount I pay for the upgrade refundable?

I have three cruises scheduled. I just upgraded to the premium package for my next cruise.

If I upgrade to the premium package on the other cruises, and then decide not to go, is the amount I pay for the upgrade refundable?

It should be...it's no different than booking a dining package or excursions.

Edited by ghstudio

I booked a cruise for summer 2016. I am not being penalized. I have a choice. I can upgrade before April 20 for a certain price. Or I can wait till I am on board and upgrade at a higher price. My call, my choice. Or I can jsut keep the Classic package as is.

Who is really out of luck, are those who are booking a cruise today. No, 123 promo period.

I remember when the beverage packages first came out. In the first two years the only promo was a 10% off when you booked a beverage package .that promo were offered for about a month , two different times.

Sure there will be new promo but I would not count on it being a beverage package, maybe just a 50 % off the second person in a stateroom promo.

Azamara just started that promo today. :rolleyes:

To the best of my knowledge, the answer is yes (at least, I sure hope it is). My understanding is that it falls into the same category as pre-booking shore excursions or specialty dining. You pay for it now, but it is fully refunded, if you cancel prior to final payment date. (Not sure what happens if you have to cancel something like this between final payment deadline and the cruise date).

cruiserke;46129176']If you board the ship with a classic package' date=' purchased or given as part of a promo, your card will be encoded with the code for the classic package. If I go to a bar and ask to upgrade to premium, how on earth would that server know when I received, or purchased, the original package, so whether to charge $10 or $16 for the upgrade?

I doubt whether their bar till system allows them see that kind of information, or that the server would be inclined to complicate his job and risk aggravating his customers by charging some $10 per diem upgrade, and others $16.

My cruise for which I received the free package is in 2017, when presumably 95% of my fellow passengers will have received or purchased their package at a time the new prices were in place, so no way will they be verifying for each passenger what to charge for the upgrade.

Unless they intend to charge everybody $16 to upgrade classic to premium, as of now, by default, even though the difference in full package cost is still $10, but that would be incredibly unlikely.[/quote']

This makes perfect sense. I think folks may be jumping to conclusions based on incomplete information.