May I ask this?

cruisetolose

Scheduled to board the Celebrity Summit/Bermuda on June 14th and my travel agent has been telling me since June 3rd that the ship has a flu/virus outbreak and would we like to cancel? The ship left yesterday for Bermuda and now travel agent is telling me they may cancel next cruise (the one we are on).

I cannot find out any info. Was anyone on the week of June 1st cruise and know of illness? Are these types of discussions allowed or edited?

Thanks for any info possible.

People have been posting here who just got off yesterday and have said nothing about it. Ask them or call X directly. Yes, you can ask questions like this.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Edited by hypercafe

Gosh! We're on the same cruise and I haven't heard a thing about this! I did hear that someone was taken sick (or had a bad accident) on the last cruise and they returned more quickly than usual - but the person reporting it said nothing about a virus, nor have we heard from our agent. Great...one more thing to worry about!

I think we would have heard something about this from Dkjretired, or one ot the other posters who just got off Summit yesterday. Nobody has mentioned a virus outbreak, or the institution of NORO protocol, on that cruise.

I just re-read the thread "Summit to Return Early". Sadly, there was a medical emergency resulting in the death of a passenger, but no one said anything about a virus and passengers on board are reporting the ship left yesterday as usual....I hardly think they would do this if there was a virus. I'd get ahold of that travel agent and insist on where they got that information. Now I'm going to continue packing...

Your travel agent may have good intentions, but you are within final payment on your cruise and would lose all money paid.

The ship will be sanitized, and you can be diligent in protecting yourselves while sailing (wash hands frequently, use sanitizer, don't touch railings, press elevator buttons kleenex, etc). Go... enjoy.....

I'd really wonder about that TA. Unless you have cancel for any reason insurance (and fear of getting the flu is not a covered reason...and, strange as it may sound, cancellation of the cruise by the cruise line may not be covered either)...you will lose any cruise payments you've made as well as any non-refundable other costs. What TA would suggest that???

It also makes no sense since they've sailed this week....will the ship be less safe next week....does your TA have a crystal ball?

I wouldn't worry about the cruise...or the ship cleanliness. They are quite accustom to sanitizing the ship and protecting you from anything other than your fellow passengers, what they bring on board in the way of illness...and their hygiene habits.

Very odd,

We have seen boarding delayed and additional sanitary measures owing to a virus but never seen a cruise cancelled.

Speak again to your agent, also I do suggest you telephone Celebrity just for peace of mind. As another post says if you cancel you will loose your cruise.

Perhaps you can put a response back up later for the peace of mind of others on the cruise.

All the best, hopefully this is just a miscommunication and you will be on board sipping your champaign soon!

I just got off Summit yesterday and didn't hear or see any evidence of a flu outbreak. We had one passenger who had some kind of medical emergency but since the cruise director made a public request for blood donors, it obviously was not flu related. Ignore your TA; go and have a wonderful (and healthy) trip!

I also just got off the Summit yesterday and talked to many guests and crew members during our voyage. There was no mention of any kind of illness or outbreak on the ship. As Ginny stated there was an isolated medical emergency but that was all I can tell you.

Thank you!! You have been very helpful... I think the entire thing is very strange also!

We told the TA this morning we are going! I just agree with everyone's advice, but needed to hear it from others!

Thanks again very much:-)

Scheduled to board the Celebrity Summit/Bermuda on June 14th and my travel agent has been telling me since June 3rd that the ship has a flu/virus outbreak and would we like to cancel? The ship left yesterday for Bermuda and now travel agent is telling me they may cancel next cruise (the one we are on).

I cannot find out any info. Was anyone on the week of June 1st cruise and know of illness? Are these types of discussions allowed or edited?

Thanks for any info possible.

It almost sounds as if your TA wants your cabin for some reason. Perhaps other cabins in that category are sold out, and they have a friend or relative who wants to be on that cruise.

I have never heard of ANY cruise line cancelling ANY upcoming cruise because there was a flu/virus outbreak on a PREVIOUS cruise.

In fact, if you think about it, it's pretty ridiculous.

I would change TAs for future travel.

Edited by DinaS

Thank you!! You have been very helpful... I think the entire thing is very strange also!

We told the TA this morning we are going! I just agree with everyone's advice, but needed to hear it from others!

Very Strange indeed.

I take it you do have your boarding pass and luggage tags and are check in on Celebrity web site? Ignore your TA.

Can you view your cruise, stateroom, etc details on the Celebrity website? If so, I would do that just to make sure everything about your booking is on the up and up based on the weird stuff your TA has been throwing at you.

Keep us posted and wishing you a great cruise!

It almost sounds as if your TA wants your cabin for some reason. Perhaps other cabins in that category are sold out, and they have a friend or relative who wants to be on that cruise.

I have never heard of ANY cruise line cancelling ANY upcoming cruise because there was a flu/virus outbreak on a PREVIOUS cruise.

In fact, if you think about it, it's pretty ridiculous.

I would change TAs for future travel.

I hate to say that I had the same suspicions. Why would she/he have started telling you this two weeks ago? And why would a ship keep sailing with an "on-going virus"? Yet no one has reported being sick or hearing anything about it. I have just checked my reservation on Celebrity and it's "smooth-sailing" as far as it's concerned. I'd definitely change TA's. I'd also ask her exactly who gave her this information and check that.

It almost sounds as if your TA wants your cabin for some reason. Perhaps other cabins in that category are sold out, and they have a friend or relative who wants to be on that cruise...

This was in the back of my mind as well.

...I have never heard of ANY cruise line cancelling ANY upcoming cruise because there was a flu/virus outbreak on a PREVIOUS cruise....

I agree. I think I read years ago (at least 4 years or more) about an east coast cruise being either cancelled or delayed for a couple days but it was pretty much a last minute decision, no more than a day or two in advance if that. That's the only time I can recall hearing of a Celebrity cruise being cancelled for Noro. Usually if things get bad they'll delay boarding by several hours while they thoroughly clean and desensitize the ship and that is usually effective except where there is a lot of noro at the port location and it is brought back on by embarking passengers.

I once took a cruise following a severe outbreak of Noro on the prior sailing and other than boarding late, and some "code red" precautions the first couple days of our cruise, there were no issues and no unusual number of sick passengers so they do know how to fix the problem.

Edited by Lsimon

This is the oddest thing I have read on these boards in a while.

Yes, go on the cruise. It's very rare to have a noro outbreak at this time of year. Not saying it can't/doesn't happen as I'm sure it does, but that's usually a fall and winter problem.

Have a great time.

Very Strange indeed.

I take it you do have your boarding pass and luggage tags and are check in on Celebrity web site? Ignore your TA.

Can you view your cruise, stateroom, etc details on the Celebrity website? If so, I would do that just to make sure everything about your booking is on the up and up based on the weird stuff your TA has been throwing at you.

Keep us posted and wishing you a great cruise!

I was thinking this also.

Go! We were on the 5/17 cruise and the ship was in wonderful shape, clean and comfortable.

I agree, it sounds like someone wanted that cabin. We were on the Mercury out of Charleston after Celebrity cancelled 3 days of a cruise because of a massive neuro outbreak that was not under control. The ship was lazered and cleaned and we had the cleanest ship at sea.

Don't forget to wash, wash, wash and always cover your mouth should you sneeze or cough. We had no problems and it sounds like something is fishy with this TA.

Enjoy.

PatC

I think we would have heard something about this from Dkjretired, or one ot the other posters who just got off Summit yesterday. Nobody has mentioned a virus outbreak, or the institution of NORO protocol, on that cruise.

I just got off yesterday and we did not hear anything about NORO at all. Why would you cancel at this point because unless you have some real good insurance you will lose your money. Again, no mention of noro at all and we had a great cruise.

Edited by dkjretired

Why would you cancel at this point because unless you have some real good insurance you will lose your money.

I don't think the OP is looking to cancel, but rather to get verification that the line of BS the TA is giving him/her is just that... BS! (see post #13)