What do you carry on to the cruise ship (rather than leave with porters)

Kryssa

Just curious -

Do you give your porters all luggage other than your valuables?

Or do you keep a carry-on bag with a change of clothes or two just in case your luggage goes missing?

Or something else?

Each member of our party has one carry on bag (typically in the form of a backpack).

In it, they pack:

Swimsuit

Casual change of clothes

Book (or other form of entertainment such as iPad)

Medication

Travel documents (after checking in, they're returned to the bag)

Sunscreen

Flip flops/sandals

It's not common for luggage to be lost getting from checkin to your room. It may take some time, but unlike the airlines they're not sending your luggage on a different vessel potentially.

Cross packing, etc is MOST common for flying when the airlines might lose the luggage. Given once you are at the port, they're moving your bag from the side of the boat and onto the boat... it's much harder to just lose it. (Though anything is possible!)

The biggest reason for a carry on is to get you through the time you get onboard until your luggage is delivered (which could be as late as 8pm). That way you can still go swimming or lounge around and read a book, etc while bags are enroute.

Change of clothing in case it takes a while to get our bags

All toiletries

All medications

All electronics (camera, laptop etc)

Bathing suit

Anything else valuable we happen to be traveling with

Our wine

and of course ID, cruise documents, wallet etc.

We pack all of this for both of us into a small spinner case so that we don't have to carry around too much before the cabins open.

Keep ANYTHING of value...all your electronics, your jewelry, and money....and anything you don't want other's to take. I keep my make-up and hair stuff, jewelry, cash, Rx's, and I wear my swimsuit UNDER my clothes when at a warm weather port. Just makes it easier to not have to find someplace to change!

I don't particularly care if it's delivered before dinner...the 1st night is ULTRA-CASUAL!

Edited by cb at sea

It's not common for luggage to be lost getting from checkin to your room. It may take some time, but unlike the airlines they're not sending your luggage on a different vessel potentially.

Cross packing, etc is MOST common for flying when the airlines might lose the luggage. Given once you are at the port, they're moving your bag from the side of the boat and onto the boat... it's much harder to just lose it. (Though anything is possible!)

The biggest reason for a carry on is to get you through the time you get onboard until your luggage is delivered (which could be as late as 8pm). That way you can still go swimming or lounge around and read a book, etc while bags are enroute.

I have heard from crew and read about-- carts full of luggage falling into the water. So, things happen. :eek:

I pack what we could get by with for the cruise- for each of us in our carry on. Then the usual meds and documents etc. We wear our light jacket onto the ship usually.

We generally pack a 3 day min supply of clothes on our carry on's plus anything we wish right away, such as cameras, medication, change of clothes for the evening since the main luggage might not arrive in time for dinner. Most of the time we have the main luggage by 2 Pm and able to unpack before Muster but once DH's bag didn't get to the room until after 8 PM.

Valuables, money, passports, documents, electronics, meds, and anything my wife deems vital. :D

We generally split our luggage so that we have equal clothing in each bag. I actually trust them enough not to lose all the bags. :eek:

As above, but one change of socks and underwear and toiletries as well. Together with my Camera gear.

ANYTHING that could possibly be mistaken for contraband , all corded items any liquids all go in our C/O plus all medicines and stuff of importance. We normally repack a few things so we have that stuff with us so if there are any questions that stuff if with us not down below. Had to go one time to stand in line for a suitcase over something stupid never again. Never had problem again and they never question anything even our fan.

I have heard from crew and read about-- carts full of luggage falling into the water. So, things happen. :eek:

I pack what we could get by with for the cruise- for each of us in our carry on. Then the usual meds and documents etc. We wear our light jacket onto the ship usually.

This happened to some people I met at breakfast. The ship did clean all their stuff but it took a couple of days to get it back.

We carry on everything since we never check luggage. We each have a wheeled carry on plus backpack. It's not an issue since we arrive after one and can go to our room right away. I think on one cruise we sat for maybe 10 minutes before we could drop off our stuff.

Edited by Viv0828

Each member of our party has one carry on bag (typically in the form of a backpack).

In it, they pack:

Swimsuit

Casual change of clothes

Book (or other form of entertainment such as iPad)

Medication

Travel documents (after checking in, they're returned to the bag)

Sunscreen

Flip flops/sandals

Add to your list, flowboards. :)

we too carry everything on board, just like for flying

Do you only do short cruises?

We Carry on for most cruises under say 7 days, but once we go over that we find we have too much stuff

That's why everything, everything possible goes into a large zip lock bag. Keeps it dry