NCL to have HUGE announcement August 4th.

Planefixer

Misguided statement BTW... The Cruise Lines generate over 90% of annual sales from there travel partners. They treat us great, because WE are their clients. We get the message out there. We make the sales. We do all the hard work dealing with ill informed clientele like yourself to make a buck.

So unless you truly know what the "Partner's First" initiative is all about, it's foolish and childish to comment. it just shows off your ignorance on this topic.

The problem is that not the customer who uses the TA service pays for it as it should be but all guests. I am part of the 90% as well, just because booking through a TA is the only way to get some money off the final payment or an OBC.

Same with all the information going first exclusively to the travel agents instead of us the customers. NCL has our contact information especially emails anyway so they should rather inform us directly, be transparent and open and treat us as responsible customers. Come on it is 2015.

You realize that FDR was born in Cuba and is hotly working to get this pushed through and ships porting there?

FDR has stated he would like to be on the bridge when one of his ships first sails to Cuba -- but not until regime change. That's what PaulMCO meant by Cuba Libre.

Edited by hondorner

Anyone have any Intel on what the HUGE announcement could be?

My bet is on theming partnership that will replace Nickelodeon. They just cannot go w/o a theme. Too much competition for the family travelers that might be lured to RCI or DCL.

FDR has stated he would like to be on the bridge when one of his ships first sails to Cuba -- but not until regime change. That's what PaulMCO meant by Cuba Libre.

I suspect FDR's complete thought was "I would like to be on the bridge when one of my ships first sails to Cuba -- but not until regime change; unless there's money in it."

Sheehan out, Del Rio in...

Lot's of unfavorable policy and fee changes in a short time...

People are upset by changes initiated after the new management team took over. The changes are primarily related to pricing ... two increases in DSC in the last four months, gratuity added to specialty restaurant cover charges, drink prices raised, gratuity on drinks increased by 3 percentage points to 18%, planned a la carte pricing for the most popular specialty restaurants, one specialty restaurant going complementary, better deals on booking while on the ship (and the ability to book while on the ship), elimination of the dinner show complementary on the first day of sailing when you buy a dining package, a $7.95 room service fee except for continental breakfast items between 6 and 10 AM, and a policy prohibiting passengers from bringing food back into their cabin (which was rescinded after a few weeks).

I think that's it. Its hard to keep track.

Edit: I forgot, kids used to eat in specialty restaurants at half price. Now they pay full price unless they order from the children's menu.

That does seem like they just sat down and decided to squeeze (everywhere) just a bit!

Thanks,

Tom

People are upset by changes initiated after the new management team took over. The changes are primarily related to pricing ... two increases in DSC in the last four months, gratuity added to specialty restaurant cover charges, drink prices raised, gratuity on drinks increased by 3 percentage points to 18%, planned a la carte pricing for the most popular specialty restaurants, one specialty restaurant going complementary, better deals on booking while on the ship (and the ability to book while on the ship), elimination of the dinner show complementary on the first day of sailing when you buy a dining package, a $7.95 room service fee except for continental breakfast items between 6 and 10 AM, and a policy prohibiting passengers from bringing food back into their cabin (which was rescinded after a few weeks).

Question: Are they "grandfathering" people into these changes? We booked a NYE cruise for 4 (two balcony cabins) on Getaway around 7 months ago before these changes were announced/in effect. I bought 2 UDP's when I booked, and two were included with our booking at that time. We were planning on going to the Illusionarium the first night, as it was included. Now will we have to pay a surcharge? I am also hoping they won't hit us for an increase in the UDP or grats on the UDP! I know our regular (prepaid them) grats aren't being increased.

ding ding ding I think we have a winner.

This is an awful idea. The last thing I would want on my vacation is a camera crew to avoid. Venues will be suddenly closed for filming, you'll have to wait for all of them to tender with their equipment. No way. That makes me glad I am booked on an older ship. We do not want to be on TV, and do not support reality TV.

This is an awful idea. The last thing I would want on my vacation is a camera crew to avoid. Venues will be suddenly closed for filming, you'll have to wait for all of them to tender with their equipment. No way. That makes me glad I am booked on an older ship. We do not want to be on TV, and do not support reality TV.

I've been onboard two sailings where there was filming going on. Once on the Epic, where I only saw them once.

The other time was on the Carnival Dream where Guy Fieri was there with family and film crew. That one did impact our experience. On the first (second?) night we were dining in the Steakhouse and had 7 pm reservations. We arrived just before 7 and were directed to the Piano Bar instead, along with other guests w/reservations. Apparently Guy was in there with his group and they were filming the experience. We were offered drinks for our troubles in the Piano Bar, and were eventually "allowed" in to the Steakhouse after perhaps 20ish minutes. Once in, instead of being greeted by the hostess, I received an "in your face" bit of instructions from one of Guy's guys! I was told "when you walk by his table, don't look his way or talk to him". Not being a fan of Guy (the character) to begin with, I said something like "I wasn't planning to". There were other tales during the week of Guy's exploits... but all in all, YES - I'd try to avoid being on a sailing with such goings on again !

Tom

I've been onboard two sailings where there was filming going on. Once on the Epic, where I only saw them once.

The other time was on the Carnival Dream where Guy Fieri was there with family and film crew. That one did impact our experience. On the first (second?) night we were dining in the Steakhouse and had 7 pm reservations. We arrived just before 7 and were directed to the Piano Bar instead, along with other guests w/reservations. Apparently Guy was in there with his group and they were filming the experience. We were offered drinks for our troubles in the Piano Bar, and were eventually "allowed" in to the Steakhouse after perhaps 20ish minutes. Once in, instead of being greeted by the hostess, I received an "in your face" bit of instructions from one of Guy's guys! I was told "when you walk by his table, don't look his way or talk to him". Not being a fan of Guy (the character) to begin with, I said something like "I wasn't planning to". There were other tales during the week of Guy's exploits... but all in all, YES - I'd try to avoid being on a sailing with such goings on again !

Tom

I would never cruise if I knew a filming was going on. We were on the Breeze when Guy Fieri was filming his special. They would shut down the entire venue his family was at to film - the ropes course, restaurant, mini-golf, etc. Luckily, he got off at the first port (3 days in) but it was definitely a disruption. They wouldn't even let me go down the hallway to my cabin upon boarding, as his cabin was also nearby, and his crew was filming by the elevator when we got off! I pushed by them, saying I had no desire to be his groupie, and just wanted to put my carry-on away! Luckily, we are not sailing the GA till NYE, so won't be affected if they are filming.

I would never cruise if I knew a filming was going on. We were on the Breeze when Guy Fieri was filming his special. They would shut down the entire venue his family was at to film - the ropes course, restaurant, mini-golf, etc. Luckily, he got off at the first port (3 days in) but it was definitely a disruption. They wouldn't even let me go down the hallway to my cabin upon boarding, as his cabin was also nearby, and his crew was filming by the elevator when we got off! I pushed by them, saying I had no desire to be his groupie, and just wanted to put my carry-on away! Luckily, we are not sailing the GA till NYE, so won't be affected if they are filming.

Darn... you're right... it WAS the Breeze (been on too many cruises I suppose) !

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

This thread is successful in bringing unannounced news to light. We should do this monthly! :D

Facts:

- NCL needs a new kids program

- NCL will be filming a reality tv show onboard

- NCL opened an Australia branch

- NCL had a berth booked for the Star in Hong Kong

Now that I've seen this link, I think the other person that mentioned this was correct with their guess.

http://www.natnine.com/#!casting/c1b33

This is a terrible idea...I would never cruise with this happening. No matter how hard they may try...there will be disruption to many venues and passengers. NOT my idea of a relaxing vacation

This is a terrible idea...I would never cruise with this happening. No matter how hard they may try...there will be disruption to many venues and passengers. NOT my idea of a relaxing vacation
Hopefully, we will know the timeframe for the shootings, because I would also avoid that timeframe as well.

My guess we would be they're talking about a few families/groups, not hundreds. I can't see where this would in any way interfere with ongoing activities on the ship anymore than the video taping that is done on a daily basis around the ship.

Luckily, we are not sailing the GA till NYE, so won't be affected if they are filming.

Why do you think that you would not be affected? The notice says they are looking for "guests who have booked their own cruise vacation with Norwegian, traveling through spring 2016 aboard Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Getaway, and Norwegian Escape."

I am keeping fingers crossed that my February cruise won't be impacted. That would really stink.