HAL considering no longer offering set seatings at dinner

Jade13

FWIW, I hope HAL resists the temptation to eliminate fixed dining.

We always have fixed, late seating, table for 2.

For me, this is much simpler and far less stressful than having to vary arrangements nightly. Plus we like developing a bit of a relationship with the regular wait staff at our assigned table.

The two elements of this and so many other similar threads that I do not really understand are:

Why so many of those who prefer open seating seem to wish fixed to be eliminated for those who choose it.

and

Why continuing fixed dining somehow causes a hardship for HAL or any cruise line. There should always be a section of the MDR or even a small venue that could remain dedicated to fixed traditional dining as long as there are still passengers that desire it.

My title said that they were "considering no longer offering"... That is what I was told. How is that a definitive statement? :confused:

I understood exactly what you meant. Sometimes people take things way too literal on chat boards.

Same here. Having been on the major line that has 100% anytime dining, I'm certain service will suffer as a result, as it did on that line.

just a question....... do they ever seat a single diner by themselves, if they so wished? Curious, is all.

Yes, they do. A friend was in open seating, went fairly early, and was seated alone at a table for two. This was consistent over several cruises, and not just a one-time thing.

That question, though not directed to me, absolutely resonated with me, RuthC. One of the things that got me through my very first cruise (traveling by myself, recently widowed -- you know what that is like) was the great fixed dining table. It was wonderful to have a specific place to be, with specific people, every night. That dinner table truly increased my enjoyment of the cruise.

We're on the same wavelength, Cow Princess. When real life means eating alone most every night, then having a small group you get to know a little bit, and with whom you can share the details of the day, becomes something to look forward to.

I have done open seating, and had some nice times, but that sense of familiarity was missing.

For me, this is much simpler and far less stressful than having to vary arrangements nightly. Plus we like developing a bit of a relationship with the regular wait staff at our assigned table.

The two elements of this and so many other similar threads that I do not really understand are:

Why so many of those who prefer open seating seem to wish fixed to be eliminated for those who choose it.

and

Why continuing fixed dining somehow causes a hardship for HAL or any cruise line. There should always be a section of the MDR or even a small venue that could remain dedicated to fixed traditional dining as long as there are still passengers that desire it.

I guess I have a short memory because I don't remember one person that prefers open saying fixed should be eliminated. I know I've never said that. I have however seen posters say that open should be eliminated to improve service.

Edited by cruz chic

and

(bolding mine)

I haven't seen anyone say that. :confused: I love open seating and would hate to see fixed dining be eliminated. Why? There would be so many more people looking for a table when I am. ;) Right now I like it the way it is.

(bolding mine)

I haven't seen anyone say that. :confused: I love open seating and would hate to see fixed dining be eliminated. Why? There would be so many more people looking for a table when I am. ;) Right now I like it the way it is.

Good to hear it wasn't just me and my poor memory :).

What I posted was "a shame", and it could have been "nicer"? If my posts upset you so much, please stop reading them.

I understood what you meant with your title, but it also sounded like you had inside knowledge that they really are considering making the change. Perhaps a question mark at the end of the sentence in the title would have had more clarity.

I understood what you meant with your title, but it also sounded like you had inside knowledge that they really are considering making the change. Perhaps a question mark at the end of the sentence in the title would have had more clarity.

You're saying that "it sounded like you had inside knowledge" as if she didn't, but Jade DID have what she considered to be "inside knowledge":

the reservationist said they were considering only having As You Wish open dining, and were considering just trying this out on Koningsdam next year before rolling it out across the fleet

She's simply reporting here what she was told, so why would she put a question mark, which would be more confusing than clarifying? What am I missing here?

I understood exactly what you meant. Sometimes people take things way too literal on chat boards.

Same here. Having been on the major line that has 100% anytime dining, I'm certain service will suffer as a result, as it did on that line.

I understood what Jade said and have no problem with her post. She shared with us information she was told. I hope people continue to do just that.

just a question....... do they ever seat a single diner by themselves, if they so wished? Curious, is all.

Yes, they certainly will seat a solo by themselves if that is what they wish.

I would sometimes request solo seating rather than dine with folks with which I might not feel comfortable. If it is Any Way You Wish Dining, there will always be some who will wish to dine alone given other options that do not suit them.

I say this as I sit alone eating my dinner. ;) I know all about solo dinners these days but that does not mean I have to want what others so firmly state is the best choice. It is their best choice; maybe not mine or someone else's.

You're saying that "it sounded like you had inside knowledge" as if she didn't, but Jade DID have what she considered to be "inside knowledge":

She's simply reporting here what she was told, so why would she put a question mark, which would be more confusing than clarifying? What am I missing here?

Probably nothing. I just stated my opinion (allowed) and you are just arguing with it. As usual.

I am a tad confused by people who would be solo sitting alone at a table for 8.

Most of my dining companions have always had the courtesy to say they are dining in the PG as do we (or other alternate dining).

Certainly everyone doesn't do that, but I would hope that most would have the manners to let their table mates know they won't be there so people aren't waiting?

Certainly everyone doesn't do that, but I would hope that most would have the manners to let their table mates know they won't be there so people aren't waiting?

I had it happen once, and yes, I did know in advance that everyone else would be missing that night.

It had been a strange cruise, in terms of people coming and going, for the duration. Some nights we even had extra guests.

So, I was alone, and perfectly all right. An officer came over to chat with me, but he wouldn't sit when invited. I got a crick in my neck talking! (he was very tall)

Most of my dining companions have always had the courtesy to say they are dining in the PG as do we (or other alternate dining).

Huh? If someone was to request to sit solo, you don't really think anyone would ask to sit at a table for 8 by themselves, do you? What does that have to do with you and your dining companions going to Pinnacle. :confused:

Edited by sail7seas

Yes, single diners will be seated by themselves if that is what they wish, usually at a table for two, the waiter will remove the second place setting.

Allow me to rephrase a bit:

Why do many who prefer open seating seem to be the same ones who rather strongly predict the imminent demise of fixed?

I've said a number of times in this thread that I see no evidence of fixed ending. I prefer open. What I do see in this thread are posters that are taking the OP's word as gospel despite many posts to the contrary. I think it's always good to take anything you hear from Seattle with a grain of salt especially when it doesn't make much sense.

Allow me to rephrase a bit:

Why do many who prefer open seating seem to be the same ones who rather strongly predict the imminent demise of fixed?

When Dynamic Dining was first announced on RCCL as the Quantum was still unfinished the same type of predictions were made even before the first guests ever had a meal on board.

The early posts were more argumentative, many almost venomous, than anything I have ever seen on CC since I first joined. From telling those in favor of traditional that they must hate change and they better get used to it or to look for another cruise line.

Hopefully there will always be what has been a great part of cruising with maybe a few tweeks here and there.

I have eaten dinner with my family between 5:00 and 6:00 for almost 70 years and I guess I'm too old to change. Give me traditional. LOL!

bosco

Is HAL considering doing away with the set seating dinner option?

Right now early seating is typically 5:45 p.m with main seating at 8 p.m.

We are scheduled on the Koningsdam next year, and were told our only option right now is open seating.

So I asked HAL last week and the reservationist said they were considering only having As You Wish open dining, and were considering just trying this out on Koningsdam next year before rolling it out across the fleet, but of course that could change.

Has anyone booked on Koningsdam in 2016 been given either early or main seating in the MDR?

We like the set 8:00pm dining because we always have a table waiting for us, but confess to doing open seating on all other cruise lines.

Going back to Jades' first post, I have spoke to a couple of people at HAL who have not heard this information at all and stated that as all sailings many never in the beginning show an option for Early or Late dining. I am sure that the Rep she spoke with was just blowing smoke to make it sound like she knew what she was talking about :rolleyes: Mostly due to many of the newly released cruises (not just Koningsdam) are showing Open ONLY. This has been a standard HAL practice for a few years. Especially those related to popular Collectors Series and Europe sailings. Almost all of the Summer cruises for 2016 are showing Open ONLY and Wait List for Early and Late including almost all of the Koningsdam.

As later stated in several posts many confirmed they did have fixed dining.

I honestly do not believe that HAL has any plans what so ever to go to having only open seating on any ship. First off it would take even more crew to handle doing reservations that would have to be offered for Suite Guests and 4 and 5 star and HAL simply does not have the man or women power on the ships to have yet another position.