Formal nights getting really casual ....

YWW

How much weight is a long black light weight skirt and three light evening tops?

One light weight suite?

These days clothing can be so cheap.

I like formal nights on a long cruise a bit different from the casual nights.

I too love my jeans but never wear them on casual or formal nights in MDR.Like to change and shower at nights.After all I have been lounging around on ship or excursion all day long in my casual gear.Variety is the spice of life to me:D

Edited by kruisey

The most expensive cruise lines do offer formal dressing but I am not sure of the relevance on a Princess thread. You will find that passengers are very turned out on Crystal on Black Tie Optional nights and although it is subjective, very well dressed during the day.

Crystal still does formal but Regent, who is probably more expensive, dropped them. Seabourn dropped them on 7 day cruises which encompasses a lot of Seabourn's sailings as they're just 7 dayers b2b2b, Cunard lowered their standards a titch a little while back.

How much weight is a long black light weight skirt and three light evening tops?

One light weight suite?

These days clothing can be so cheap.

I like formal nights on a long cruise a bit different from the casual nights.

I too love my jeans but never wear them on casual or formal nights in MDR.Like to change and shower at nights.After all I have been lounging around on ship or excursion all day long in my casual gear.Variety is the spice of life to me:D

for a women, it's very easy to conform to Formal standards. But a pair of 13 shoes and a suit, tie, dress shirts that will only be worn on one or two nights will take up a lot more room in my husband's case.

for a women, it's very easy to conform to Formal standards. But a pair of 13 shoes and a suit, tie, dress shirts that will only be worn on one or two nights will take up a lot more room in my husband's case.

On our upcoming 21 day B2B cruise, we will have 5 formal nights. DH will bring three dress shirts that can also do double duty on smart casual nights (we will have them laundered on the ship) and 5 ties. I roll the ties and the dress socks, and put them inside the dress shoes, then put the shoes in a backpack that goes under the seat on the plane. I just bought him a new Calvin Klein slim-fit black suit. It only weighs a couple of pounds and barely takes up any room in the suitcase.

Problem solved.

I just bought him a new Calvin Klein slim-fit black suit.

LOL just kidding here but I hope that's and expandable waist slim-fit black suit! By formal night number 5 things could be getting a little uncomfortable!

All kidding aside, I remember the days of slim-fit clothing. I've still got a lonely pair of slim-fit jeans (not for formal night :eek:) hanging in the closet. Maybe I should hang them from the refrigerator ...

LOL just kidding here but I hope that's and expandable waist slim-fit black suit! By formal night number 5 things could be getting a little uncomfortable!

All kidding aside, I remember the days of slim-fit clothing. I've still got a lonely pair of slim-fit jeans (not for formal night :eek:) hanging in the closet. Maybe I should hang them from the refrigerator ...

He's so lucky! He eats and drinks whatever he wants and never gains weight. He's turning 50 in December and still wears a 32x32 pant.

On a recent mid August Alaskan southbound cruise from Whittier to Vancouver on Star Princess, I was stunned and surprised how casual the diners were especially the men on formal nights in the MDR. We've been on a number of Princess cruises and this one has to be the most casually dressed cruise we've ever seen on formal nights. If I have to guess, a good 30 to 40% of the diners in the MDR wore casual on formal nights. The area where we were sitting towards the back of the Anytime MDR with about 12 tables, a good majority of the men wore casual. I wasn't talking about wearing just a dress shirt. I was referring to cargo pants, running shoes, sandals, faded blue jeans, wrinkled Polos with long sleeve T shirt underneath, .... The ironic thing was the kids present especially the young boys were significantly better dressed than the men. Have you seen this trend on other Princess ships? I personally think Princess should just do away with these formal nights and go business casual each evening in the MDR since it's a pain and a chore to pack formal attire. Why bother with a cruise tradition when diners are no longer willing to dress up. Your thoughts and observations?

This is the way all lines seem to be headed. RCI and NCL are probably 30%-40% casual on formal nights. Typically we tend to dress casual on formal nights and head to one of the specialty dining rooms so that those who want to have a formal night in the MDR can do so without us lazy folk crimping their style :D . Honestly, even though we no longer do formal nights, I do miss it but to be frank, most of the cruise lines have dumbed down their service and food enough in the MDR's that it no longer feels necessary to dress formally. Sad, but true.

After reading the "What to bring on a cruise threads" which pop up from time to time, I find it hard to swallow the airline luggage excuse. Some of the must have items are mattress pads, holiday decorations, diving equipment and coffee makers. If people are able to manage these items I find it hard to believe that a man at the very least can't find room for a pair of synthetic slacks, a tie and a dress shirt. Honestly, if you don't want to dress up at least have the guts to admit it and stop blaming the airlines. For $25 pp you can eat in a specialty restaurant on formal night. It's less than the price of the outfit you would have to pack.

Edited by Iamcruzin

After reading the "What to bring on a cruise threads" which pop up from time to time, I find it hard to swallow the airline luggage excuse. Some of the must have items are mattress pads, holiday decorations, diving equipment and coffee makers. If people are able to manage these items I find it hard to believe that a man at the very least can't find room for a pair of synthetic slacks, a tie and a dress shirt. Honestly, if you don't want to dress up at least have the guts to admit it and stop blaming the airlines. For $25 pp you can eat in a specialty restaurant on formal night. It's less than the price of the outfit you would have to pack.

But that's not remotely formal. I'm certainly not blaming the airlines. Formal nights don't register on my GAS meter

O I just bought him a new Calvin Klein slim-fit black suit. It only weighs a couple of pounds and barely takes up any room in the suitcase.

Problem solved.

I haven't been a slim fit since 1979.:( but I still manage to pack a "classic fit" which translates to wide suit.

But that's not remotely formal. I'm certainly not blaming the airlines. Formal nights don't register on my GAS meter

I realize it's not formal but at least it's better than what the OP described in the beginning of the thread. Most men remove the jacket and place it on the back of the chair anyway.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I haven't been a slim fit since 1979.:( but I still manage to pack a "classic fit" which translates to wide suit.

:D These suits wide or skinny are also wrinkle resistant. We have yet to have my husbands suit pressed after unpacking. ;)

There are multiple ways to allocate the dining rooms. Divide them any way you wish.

But I think what this discussion reveals is that once "Formal Night Attire" is widened to include nice attire beyond tuxedos and dark suits, (such as blazers and "creative formal wear" as has been discussed above), the percentage of people who wish to partake in the affair is increased to the point where the dining rooms can only be allocated the way they are now. OK. Perhaps there is one seating that could go the other way. Perhaps take one Anytime MDR and block it out for a 5:30 seating for those who don't want to go to the buffet or an alternative venue. But beyond that, despite the protests of the same 20 people on this Board, most of the folks on the Princess ships seem to like to play dress-up to one degree or another. All the way to tuxedos and ball gowns? No. But past the point of jeans and golf shirts? Yes. At least from my own observations.

I realize it's not formal but at least it's better than what the OP described in the beginning of the thread. Most men remove the jacket and place it on the back of the chair anyway.

It may not be a suit, but your suggestion suits me just fine. :cool:

There will always be the small percentage who expect everyone to meet the precise recommended (key word used by Princess) dress for formal night. And another small percentage who would like to dismiss formal or dress-up altogether.

I think most of us would just like to "go along to get along", make our own decision as to what level of formality we want to go with and also respect what others choose to do. Princess appears to be doing that for the most part, but some report that occasionally "inappropriate dinnerwear" (again Princess defines this one clearly) is not turned away - whether it be a formal night or smart casual night.

PS - I loved your joke about "what to bring on a cruise":D

But I think what this discussion reveals is that once "Formal Night Attire" is widened to include nice attire beyond tuxedos and dark suits, (such as blazers and "creative formal wear" as has been discussed above), the percentage of people who wish to partake in the affair is increased to the point where the dining rooms can only be allocated the way they are now. OK. Perhaps there is one seating that could go the other way. Perhaps take one Anytime MDR and block it out for a 5:30 seating for those who don't want to go to the buffet or an alternative venue. But beyond that, despite the protests of the same 20 people on this Board, most of the folks on the Princess ships seem to like to play dress-up to one degree or another. All the way to tuxedos and ball gowns? No. But past the point of jeans and golf shirts? Yes. At least from my own observations.

Bulls-eye! You win most intelligent comment of the day:)

But beyond that, despite the protests of the same 20 people on this Board, most of the folks on the Princess ships seem to like to play dress-up to one degree or another. All the way to tuxedos and ball gowns? No. But past the point of jeans and golf shirts? Yes. At least from my own observations.

Well said.

I personally think Princess should just do away with these formal nights and go business casual each evening in the MDR since it's a pain and a chore to pack formal attire. Why bother with a cruise tradition when diners are no longer willing to dress up. Your thoughts and observations?

I'm all for that. We stopped going to formal nights a long while ago. Such a PITA. We just go to the buffet on FN since I would feel awkward not dressing appropriately and inserting myself in the DRs.

Edited by Sincity

Actually, it was not "Romance on the High Seas". Apparently, that was a musical remake of a 1930's movie, which had the same basic plot.

I cannot for the life of me find the name of that movie, but I will keep looking....

Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs.:D

Funny that some of the people fighting for formal night then say what they wear and it is not formal at all. Maybe it should be called, "dress nicer night".

I always dress nice, in real life, or on a boat. I take pride in what I wear in public, no PJs for me. Anyway, I would rather sit across someone wearing a tshirt, than someone barely covering up their assets! It should be formal and classy!

Funny that some of the people fighting for formal night then say what they wear and it is not formal at all.

I don't think it is "funny" so much as it is "realistic". You are never going to see a return to the days where the velvet ropes open up only if you are wearing "formal wear" in the Emily Post sense of the term. That ship has sailed, both literally and figuratively. So where we are left is:

• a. Keep "Formal Night" but relax the attire requirements a bit; or
  • b. Abolish the concept altogether.

What you are seeing is people wanting and hoping for "a". So yes, I think that there is much support for an "Elegant Evening" approach in place of "Formal Night". But in some ways, that puts more pressure on the bouncers to make the call as to what is or is not "Elegant". I kind of like the tried and true: "Jackets required for gentleman." That is a pretty clear, bright line...(says the guy who does not own a kilt or other "elegant" regional/cultural attire).

Funny that some of the people fighting for formal night then say what they wear and it is not formal at all. Maybe it should be called, "dress nicer night".

I always dress nice, in real life, or on a boat. I take pride in what I wear in public, no PJs for me. Anyway, I would rather sit across someone wearing a tshirt, than someone barely covering up their assets! It should be formal and classy!

I don't know if you would call what I wear formal or not. The picture is small but the one I use as my avatar here was taken on a formal night. In the picture I'm wearing a dark 3 piece suit with a dark red shirt and coordinating tie. Formal? It's not a tux but I do dress nicely for formal nights and I am well within the Princess guidelines.