Someone Hacked into Email and Cancelled Cruise

SSuitepea

I just returned from IOS Saturday and I must share my experience with hopes that nobody else has to go through what we did. The outcome is still pending....

So, our group of five was set to fly out very very early on Monday morning. On Sunday evening, I get an email that our flights had all been cancelled (to and from FLL). I immediately call Delta to find out someone had cancelled them online via the 24 hr. check in with the confirmation number. So, I ask each person in our party...no they hadn't. In fact, three of us had already checked in successfully. Delta was able to get our flights back on and I thought, well...maybe a computer glitch - mistakes happen, right?

We get to the lovely Independence of the seas around noon and are checking in. There appears to be some confusion with the check-in employees and she heads to the back area. That's never good. 5 minutes later, she returns with a piece of paper to RC's resolutions dept. Our cruise was cancelled late Sunday evening over the phone!

At this point, I'm about to faint and extremely emotional! What is going on?!

Backstory: a member of our group is going through a very very nasty divorce. Light bulb goes off! NOW SHE TELLS US: three months ago she had to change her email password and during settlement meetings his lawyer mentioned a cruise and she had no idea how he knew. Of course, he's gotten into her email - where i had sent ALL CONFIRMATION numbers and info about our entire trip.

I'm on the phone with RC, sitting in the floor crying and going through paperwork, trying to wrap my head around this. RC phone support tells me that Sunday evening the cruise was cancelled due to a death in the family. No no no! This amazing angel walks up to us, sees I am upset and on the phone and asks what's going on. My mother explains and she takes us aside. 10 minutes later, she has gotten us back on the cruise, same staterooms, presents us with our sail cards and sends us on our way. Meanwhile, I'm still on the phone with RC resolutions in which the gentleman refuses to get off the phone with me until I am on the boat. They were doing everything they can to fix this and make sure we got on.

Finally, in the room I call Delta because I assume our flights out of FLL on Saturday will be cancelled in the 24 hr check in period and we won't have much of a means to stop it. Delta is no help, they said too bad...shouldn't have given out our confirmation number. So I freak out again. Luckily, the sweet lady at port check in with RC had given us her personal cell number and a contact on ship that was aware of our situation. So we call her and she calls Delta and apparently puts a do not cancel under no circumstances on our confirmation number.

The entire cruise, I'm worried for the member of our party's safety and if anything else we had planned was cancelled (private tour in Jamaica). The Jamaica excursion hadn't been cancelled because I did not send her much info on that, thankfully. And, when we arrived in port Saturday....our flights were good to go!

Now, RC was supposed to be researching this case to find out how this happened since none of us called and cancelled our trip. They are supposed to call me today with their findings. I also had some credits on my credit card from RC - but I don't know if its from the original cancel, which I don't think they would do any refunds that late anyway.

So, now I wait....I really just want to try to put it all behind me and forget it happened. I don't know all the details, nor do I want to know the details, of the divorce the member of our party is going through - but how can someone be so mean? How can someone cancel our entire trip when its not us doing the cancelling?

The cruise was great and I loved the ship, otherwise. RC really stepped up to the plate for us and took us under their wing. We did lose some OBC, and they couldn't add it....but we were just happy to get on the ship quite frankly. Perhaps RC is afraid we will sue, I don't know....

Just thought I would share. I learned a big lesson and I hope by sharing it will help everyone be more cautious about sharing information too...even if they are traveling with you. You just never know.

What a nightmare! I hope that your friend has contacted their attorney. If the ex is responsible for this, he/she should be held responsible!

She has but I've called RC twice (they were supposed to call me yesterday after their investigation with their findings). They seemed to think they had the call recorded. I feel like I'm getting the run around now and I just want some closure, and I'm sure my friend wants some proof! To be continued....because I'll just keep calling them.

She has but I've called RC twice (they were supposed to call me yesterday after their investigation with their findings). They seemed to think they had the call recorded. I feel like I'm getting the run around now and I just want some closure, and I'm sure my friend wants some proof! To be continued....because I'll just keep calling them.

I am not one who says get a lawyer involved, but I would have the lawyer get in touch with the corporate offices. It will probably end up with Royal Caribbean's lawyers talking to your friend's lawyer but I would do what I needed to do to make sure this person is held responsible. Once the cruise line realizes you aren't trying to go after them, I bet you will get your proof.

Wow... sounds like something straight out of a TV drama. Glad it all worked out!

That's exactly what we thought too! We even decided at sail away that we were on a reality show and for the rest of the trip camera crews were following us and we didn't know it. Silly, but at least a way to make light of a horrid situation that could have been a lot worse. I was worried for her to go home (of course I don't know their details, nor do I want to) but she is home now and her house was in one piece.

Okay, my divorce was nasty, but I don't even think my ex would have ever considered doing that!

This is why it's smart that some of the lines use a PIN number on your reservation so that you need to provide the PIN before any changes could be made. Just the booking number alone would not have been enough to cancel.

If it's true that this soon to be ex did this, I would definitely get the lawyers involved. He took a big chance doing it, and now that it's been fixed and you were able to reinstate the booking (thank goodness for the RC employee who was so helpful and saved the day) I'd go after this guy like a bat out of hell.

I really don't see how RCI or any cruise line could prevent this sort of thing....I mean, if someone NOT in your party has your info, they can pretty much do anything they want, via internet...or even on the phone. The phone person doesn't know who's calling!

I'm glad it all worked out for you....stop stressing about it...and in the future, NEVER give the info to anyone who shouldn't have it!

..and in the future, NEVER give the info to anyone who shouldn't have it!

They didn't give the info to "anyone" - they gave it to their friend since it was also her information. Her ex apparently could still access her email account. Definitely let the divorce attorney know - this guy could be held accountable in court. What a jerk.

I really don't see how RCI or any cruise line could prevent this sort of thing....I mean, if someone NOT in your party has your info, they can pretty much do anything they want, via internet...or even on the phone. The phone person doesn't know who's calling!

I'm glad it all worked out for you....stop stressing about it...and in the future, NEVER give the info to anyone who shouldn't have it!

Seriously, read the original post.:rolleyes:

They didn't give the info to "anyone" - they gave it to their friend since it was also her information. Her ex apparently could still access her email account. Definitely let the divorce attorney know - this guy could be held accountable in court. What a jerk.

Good point. So the lesson becomes have a separate email account than your spouse/significant other - either from the beginning OR as soon as things start going south. And change the password often - even if you think there is no way they would know it. Also don't save the password on a computer they would/could have access to.

Good point. So the lesson becomes have a separate email account than your spouse/significant other - either from the beginning OR as soon as things start going south. And change the password often - even if you think there is no way they would know it. Also don't save the password on a computer they would/could have access to.

Sadly it's becoming increasingly easy to hack into anyone's email/cell account if you are determined to do so.

I bet there will be some changes down the line for both AIR and Cruise lines. I can see some other potential issues with security etc.

Glad, you are good to go. but on the other hand maybe an extra day or two in the debarkation city would have been nice.

I don't think Royal's personnel helped you because they were afraid you would sue. They did what they could to save your vacation out of genuine concern for you and your friends. They didn't need to do anything, your cruise was cancelled. You owe the individuals who helped you a sincere expression of your gratitude for their efforts to help someone in need.

If you want to take some action to make yourself feel better, explore your options against the scum bag who cancelled your cruise.

Held accountable for what, exactly? Yes, IF this whole story is true ..and this "horrible ex" actually did call and cancel this party's reservations, there was no additional expense incurred by them .. their flights and cruise were reinstated .. they still travelled.

Yes it was a really mean and nasty thing to do ... but first, they would have to prove who it was (and really, how would they do that ? its just a theory at this point) ... and other than some drama (which sounds more like the OP and not the ex of this "bad guy") ... what could he be charged with? Would this be a crime?.

Edited by F27TW

if you had bothered to read the original post they CLEARLY explained that the information was NOT 'shared' with anyone not part of the trip but the information was HACKED via someone accessing an email account that was NOT theirs.

Accountable for what? Was there a loss?

... what could he be charged with? Would this be a crime?.

Absolutely. If he called and cancelled, and acted as one of them without their permission, it would be identity theft. Just emailing from the wife's account, if it's her personal email address, would be ID theft. Also, the way theft statutes read, he could be charged with attempted grand larceny considering his actions almost deprived the party of all their cruise expenses. There's several other lesser statutes that could apply, like disorderly conduct, mischief, etc.

I say forget the lawyer. Report this to the police so a detective can subpoena all the records.

Edited by Aquahound

Wow folks no need to get in arguments. Just posting my story to hopefully help someone else along the way and to encourage folks to be careful with what info you share or how you share it. You never know what other people are going through.

RC says the person on the phone that cancelled the cruise the night before sailing claimed to be me. But that's pretty much it. They didn't have to put us back on or do anything. But they did and they have been great about everything. This could happen to anyone - email hacking, angry ex, sharing passwords, or trip info.

We weren't out anything but a huge headache and obc. Just wanted to recognize RC staff going above and beyond and help others.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! Have a great Thanksgiving.