Someone Hacked into Email and Cancelled Cruise

SSuitepea

if you had bothered to read the original post they CLEARLY explained that the information was NOT 'shared' with anyone not part of the trip but the information was HACKED via someone accessing an email account that was NOT theirs.

That was just a typical CB post... Don't expect a response. :rolleyes:

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Wow folks no need to get in arguments. Just posting my story to hopefully help someone else along the way and to encourage folks to be careful with what info you share or how you share it. You never know what other people are going through.

RC says the person on the phone that cancelled the cruise the night before sailing claimed to be me. But that's pretty much it. They didn't have to put us back on or do anything. But they did and they have been great about everything. This could happen to anyone - email hacking, angry ex, sharing passwords, or trip info.

We weren't out anything but a huge headache and obc. Just wanted to recognize RC staff going above and beyond and help others.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! Have a great Thanksgiving.

Your willingness to share this with others is deserving of a Happy Thanksgiving. Thank you for this information. It is priceless.

Wow folks no need to get in arguments.

Now that's some wishful thinking. :D Aquahound is right when he says there are plenty of statutes that would cover this. If he accessed the ex's emails in some states that would be considered cyber-stalking, wire fraud, and/or computer fraud. Thanks for the story and happy Thanksgiving.

Absolutely. If he called and cancelled, and acted as one of them without their permission, it would be identity theft. Just emailing from the wife's account, if it's her personal email address, would be ID theft. Also, the way theft statutes read, he could be charged with attempted grand larceny considering his actions almost deprived the party of all their cruise expenses. There's several other lesser statutes that could apply, like disorderly conduct, mischief, etc.

I say forget the lawyer. Report this to the police so a detective can subpoena all the records.

Not trying to sound like a smart a$$ (this time .. ) .. but why would a detective even touch something like this ... there was no damage done.

Edited by F27TW

Held accountable for what, exactly? Yes, IF this whole story is true ..and this "horrible ex" actually did call and cancel this party's reservations, there was no additional expense incurred by them .. their flights and cruise were reinstated .. they still travelled.

Yes it was a really mean and nasty thing to do ... but first, they would have to prove who it was (and really, how would they do that ? its just a theory at this point) ... and other than some drama (which sounds more like the OP and not the ex of this "bad guy") ... what could he be charged with? Would this be a crime?.

Fraud is against the law. This ahole assumed several people's identity, that can be prosecuted.

Not trying to sound like a smart a$$ (this time .. ) .. but why would a detective even touch something like this ... there was no damage done.

No worries. I'm cool with your usual CC style. ;) This type of case is perfect for a general crimes detective. It's actually pretty easy to investigate. Just subpoena a few records, IP addresses and calling records. Truthfully, it comes down to the victims, whether or not they want it to go forward.

I know this is a big metaphoric leap, but if someone fires a gun at another and misses, they still committed attempted murder even though no harm was done. Same idea, really.

Edited by Aquahound

I was going to explain how he can be held accountable but thank goodness, there are other people out there who "get it" who explained it well. And yes it can be very easy to prove if it was the "ex". It's called phone records and IP addresses. And the intent to destroy the vacation falls under harassment.

Very glad it worked out for the OP.

While I don't know if this would fall under any criminal statutes, even if it did, no LE agency is going to mess with it. At most, there could be some sort of civil litigation possible, but even that would be a hassle. Let the divorce atty know and go from there. Lesson learned, and all ended well thankfully.

Wow folks no need to get in arguments. Just posting my story to hopefully help someone else along the way and to encourage folks to be careful with what info you share or how you share it. You never know what other people are going through.

RC says the person on the phone that cancelled the cruise the night before sailing claimed to be me. But that's pretty much it. They didn't have to put us back on or do anything. But they did and they have been great about everything. This could happen to anyone - email hacking, angry ex, sharing passwords, or trip info.

We weren't out anything but a huge headache and obc. Just wanted to recognize RC staff going above and beyond and help others.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! Have a great Thanksgiving.

Thanks for sharing! It is good to hear that RCCL went above and beyond and you were able to make your cruise! I too would have been on the floor crying!!! As for the jerk that did this - shame on them.

I was going to explain how he can be held accountable but thank goodness, there are other people out there who "get it" who explained it well. And yes it can be very easy to prove if it was the "ex". It's called phone records and IP addresses. And the intent to destroy the vacation falls under harassment.

Very glad it worked out for the OP.

If it can be proved that the other party in a divorce dispute was responsible, it could have profound implications for the divorce settlement.

So sorry this happened but you weren't technically hacked. Ex had the correct password and used it. Moral of story (not to scold you at all): change your passwords if you find yourself in a divorce.

Exactly what I said and was shot down. Assuming it was the ex that did it, it was not technically a hacking. This is why a) separate emails are a good idea and b) yes, as soon as there is the hint of a split with a spouse or SO, change the passwords and delete all cookies/history so that it's not saved on anything... and DON'T SAVE the password.

This reminded me of someone I use to work with a long time ago. She hated her boss and was his assistant. She had given her notice and before she left had canceled some of his business trip hotels as well as a vacation he had planned with his family.

OP Im so happy RCCL was able to help you and you were all able to enjoy your cruise. I wonder if by the time your friend got home if her house and bank account were cleaned out.

Don't we have better use for our justice system.

No. Every day things like this are exactly why the justice system exists....to serve every victim of crime.

While I don't know if this would fall under any criminal statutes, even if it did, no LE agency is going to mess with it. At most, there could be some sort of civil litigation possible, but even that would be a hassle. Let the divorce atty know and go from there. Lesson learned, and all ended well thankfully.

Not true at all. I used to be a general crimes detective for a county Sheriff's Office. This is exactly the sort of stuff I worked on a daily basis. The sexy crimes you see on TV that apparently you think we work every day are in reality only once in blue moon.

Edited by Aquahound

No. Every day things like this are exactly why the justice system exists....to serve every victim of crime. :) :) :)

Not true at all. I used to be a general crimes detective for a county Sheriff's Office. This is exactly the sort of stuff I worked on a daily basis. The sexy crimes you see on TV that apparently you think we work every day are in reality only once in blue moon.

I always appreciate when an LE professional wades into these discussions. Not someone that stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;) Thanks Aquahound!

I always appreciate when an LE professional wades into these discussions. Not someone that stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;) Thanks Aquahound!

LOL. There are always so many Holiday Inn Express customers on the Internet :D

I hope the OP has better luck with law enforcement than many people. I had a credit card number compromised a few years ago. Someone got my number and bought a camera over the phone and had it shipped to St. Louis, Missouri. The crook also changed my address with American Express. I was livid. I laid into Amex for changing my personal info without proper verification (and promptly added extra layers of security to that account). I found out from the camera store exactly where the camera was shipped, and called the local police in St. Louis. They couldn't have cared less, even though it should have been easy enough to watch the house to see who came to retrieve the package which hadn't been delivered yet. :mad: I reported it to my local police department too, and they also could not have cared less, and as far as I know they didn't do thing one about it.

So sorry this happened but you weren't technically hacked. Ex had the correct password and used it. Moral of story (not to scold you at all): change your passwords if you find yourself in a divorce.

Exactly what I said and was shot down. Assuming it was the ex that did it, it was not technically a hacking. This is why a) separate emails are a good idea and b) yes, as soon as there is the hint of a split with a spouse or SO, change the passwords and delete all cookies/history so that it's not saved on anything... and DON'T SAVE the password.

You're both assuming she never changed it. That may not be the case. Email accounts get hacked by complete strangers all the time.

You're both assuming she never changed it. That may not be the case. Email accounts get hacked by complete strangers all the time.

Based on the given information that it was the ex spouse, I think it's a safe bet this was not a stranger hacking but a case of the ex spouse either knowing the password or going on a computer where the password was saved.