Princess Survey about Formal Nights

ready2cruzagain

steelers36, What a great solution. It's too bad you don't work for Princess.:D

LOL, thanks. Well it's true I don't work for them, but I find that I care about businesses I do frequent business with and I want them to be successful and keep up quality and standards of customer service so that I can continue to be happy doing business with them. So I hope Princess is careful in their decisions and is successful in the path they decide to take.

I like Princess, and could like certain other cruising as well I suppose, but I imagine everyone else here has their own "relationship" with the Princess experience and doesn't want it screwed up.

Crystal hasn't had formal nights for several years. It's now called "Black Tie Optional." They also stopped renting tuxes onboard -- because they are following the worldwide trend to more casual dress. Name one cruise line that has increased its dress standards?

I certainly can't argue that the opinion trend in cruising isn't significantly opposed to formal dining, as I previously posted: "As much as we like formal nights, I have long been of the belief that the formal night days were numbered. I base that assumption on comments and discussions with and from fellow cruisers over the almost 600 days sailing experience we have had on the high seas."

However, you mentioned Crystal Cruises has no formal nights. Just because they call them Black Tie Optional evenings doesn't mean they are not considered formal. Listen to Crystal: "Black Tie Optional evenings offer passengers the opportunity to dress formally: jackets are required for men (dark suits with ties or tuxedos are recommended), and formal cocktail dresses, evening gowns or dressy evening separates are recommended for women." I suppose the same could be argued in the case of Regent's "formal" nights however we are hard core Regent cruisers and we experience a lot of occasions to dress formally on their ships. Not only on formal dress nights but also other times. Probably because they offer an ample number of tables for two in all venues and do not go the traditional seating route.

Crystal Cruises

The Code: Crystal has formal, informal and casual dress codes. After 6 p.m., casual daytime attire is not appropriate. Shorts and baseball caps are not permitted for men or women. Black Tie Optional evenings offer passengers the opportunity to dress formally: jackets are required for men (dark suits with ties or tuxedos are recommended), and formal cocktail dresses, evening gowns or dressy evening separates are recommended for women. Informal attire is known onboard as Crystal Casual and applies to most evenings. Requirements are collared or button-down shirts for men (sport coats optional) with dress pants or smart trousers, and blouses, sweaters, skirts, dresses or dressy slacks for women.

Number of Formal Nights: Crystal cruisers can expect one Black Tie Optional evening on seven- to 10-night sailings (based on itinerary) and two formal evenings on 11- to 13-night cruises. Check with Crystal for the numbers of formal nights on world cruises, holiday sailings or ocean crossings, as these can vary.

Nightly Casual Option: The Lido Cafe is only open for breakfast and lunch, and the casual Trident Grill closes each evening at 6 p.m. Unless passengers like to dine early, it is possible room service will be the only choice for a truly casual option (especially on formal night).

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=545

LOL, thanks. Well it's true I don't work for them, but I find that I care about businesses I do frequent business with and I want them to be successful and keep up quality and standards of customer service so that I can continue to be happy doing business with them. So I hope Princess is careful in their decisions and is successful in the path they decide to take.

I like Princess, and could like certain other cruising as well I suppose, but I imagine everyone else here has their own "relationship" with the Princess experience and doesn't want it screwed up.

One thing. I might allow a pure casual experience on the first and last nights. Yes, even shorts. People do have to unpack and pack.

We didn't receive this survey but happened to be on a Princess cruise at the time others stated they got theirs.

We are all for cancelling the required formal wear just to eat in the main dining room. I sure hope they follow through as Celebrity has done. Anyone can still dress in your formal wear if you want or can dress in smart casual if that is what you like....with the key being that you can still eat in the MDR. Keeping my fingers crossed they do away with the requirement!! I kind of figured it was just a matter of time.

I certainly can't argue that the opinion trend in cruising isn't significantly opposed to formal dining, as I previously posted: "As much as we like formal nights, I have long been of the belief that the formal night days were numbered. I base that assumption on comments and discussions with and from fellow cruisers over the almost 600 days sailing experience we have had on the high seas."

However, you mentioned Crystal Cruises has no formal nights. Just because they call them Black Tie Optional evenings doesn't mean they are not considered formal. Listen to Crystal: "Black Tie Optional evenings offer passengers the opportunity to dress formally: jackets are required for men (dark suits with ties or tuxedos are recommended), and formal cocktail dresses, evening gowns or dressy evening separates are recommended for women." I suppose the same could be argued in the case of Regent's "formal" nights however we are hard core Regent cruisers and we experience a lot of occasions to dress formally on their ships. Not only on formal dress nights but also other times. Probably because they offer an ample number of tables for two in all venues and do not go the traditional seating route.

Crystal Cruises

The Code: Crystal has formal, informal and casual dress codes. After 6 p.m., casual daytime attire is not appropriate. Shorts and baseball caps are not permitted for men or women. Black Tie Optional evenings offer passengers the opportunity to dress formally: jackets are required for men (dark suits with ties or tuxedos are recommended), and formal cocktail dresses, evening gowns or dressy evening separates are recommended for women. Informal attire is known onboard as Crystal Casual and applies to most evenings. Requirements are collared or button-down shirts for men (sport coats optional) with dress pants or smart trousers, and blouses, sweaters, skirts, dresses or dressy slacks for women.

Number of Formal Nights: Crystal cruisers can expect one Black Tie Optional evening on seven- to 10-night sailings (based on itinerary) and two formal evenings on 11- to 13-night cruises. Check with Crystal for the numbers of formal nights on world cruises, holiday sailings or ocean crossings, as these can vary.

Nightly Casual Option: The Lido Cafe is only open for breakfast and lunch, and the casual Trident Grill closes each evening at 6 p.m. Unless passengers like to dine early, it is possible room service will be the only choice for a truly casual option (especially on formal night).

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=545

Before this recent change, Crystal required Black Tie or at minimum suit and tie. Now, as you have quoted, they only require a jacket (no tie). Also the number of "formal" nights was cut in half. This was a major change, and led to a similar thread to this one on the Crystal forum when it happened. And then -- the sky didn't fall! Crystal is doing even better than before. But you ignored my question: Name one cruise line that has increased its dress standards?

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

We didn't receive this survey but happened to be on a Princess cruise at the time others stated they got theirs.

We are all for cancelling the required formal wear just to eat in the main dining room. I sure hope they follow through as Celebrity has done. Anyone can still dress in your formal wear if you want or can dress in smart casual if that is what you like....with the key being that you can still eat in the MDR. Keeping my fingers crossed they do away with the requirement!! I kind of figured it was just a matter of time.

facebook-dislike-300x133.jpg

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree and hope this does not happen.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I've followed this thread and also the one on Celebrity and I most definitely belong to the over 70% on the Celebrity poll who are either pleased to see the end of formal nights (the majority) or just don't care.

So far I've taken just one Princess cruise and two with Celebrity and we have abided (albeit loosely ;)) to the formal dress code and we were not in the least put out when our delightful table companions on our last cruise (Australian) did not dress formally.

As a previous poster suggested, it's not all about 'MEEEEEEEE ....' but more about MY vacation and YOUR vacation - and provided you are clean and tidy and at least go with smart casual, why should I care what you wear to the dining room?

I truly only notice the dress of people who stand out because they are just stunning (very, very few) or those who appear not to have looked in the mirror before turning out (again, very few) and am genuinely puzzled that some people want to insist that others put on their finery in order that they may enjoy their own dressing up experience.

I am sorry that so many posters are really upset by the changes that may (inevitably IMO) come, but I believe that you are swimming against the tide.

Ditch the formal wear!!!!!!!! I can appreciate eating lobster in casual clothing and I promise I won't act like a barbarian just because I'm not wearing a fancy party dress.

facebook-dislike-300x133.jpg

I honestly feel that Princess has dumbed down the cruising experience. Due to this, I am for dropping formal nights.

If they want to go back to be the classy line they were when I first cruised with them (string quartets as opposed to loud music in the atrium), more specialty foods in the dining room like they used to have, I would be ok with keeping it formal. But Princess is not a formal line anymore. And even the higher lines are no longer requiring formal wear.

Edited by Coral

Quite interesting indeed. I hope the survey is sent to all people in Princess's data base.

At least Princess does realize that although many people do dress for the formal evenings they're are a growing number not wanting to partake and still enjoy cruising.

That would be me and DH. We took clothes to wear but did not go to one formal night. We didn't see anything on the menu worth getting dressed up for. From here on out, we won't pack for formal nights. One less piece of luggage to keep track of and haul on and off the ship. I have clothing to wear to the MDR just not really formal. Omitting formal night will certainly take the stress off of me and others who feel the same.

We normally cruise on Princess 3 or 4 times each year and believe formal nights are an integral element in the cruising experience. We would hate to lose that experience.

It really matters not if the cruise is in the Caribbean, Alaska, or Europe. There is a difference on formal nights that pervades the entire ship. It is different on those nights. Certainly there are those who eschew formal cloths for the night and dine at other venues. But the feeling of the difference remains.

We did not receive the survey. If we had, we would have voted to keep the status quo. It works. We believe that if it ain't broke, don't break it!

Companies use surveys as a tool to get a feel and gather evidence for what they already know or suspect is the case. In this case, I feel the cruise line is already thinking of ways to introduce the best of both worlds which is most likely having some nights that are not formal anymore but will still stand out from the rest to create a different atmosphere and ambiance. What they do, is any ones guess but I think it may resemble the X "Evening Chic".

We normally cruise on Princess 3 or 4 times each year and believe formal nights are an integral element in the cruising experience. We would hate to lose that experience.

It really matters not if the cruise is in the Caribbean, Alaska, or Europe. There is a difference on formal nights that pervades the entire ship. It is different on those nights. Certainly there are those who eschew formal cloths for the night and dine at other venues. But the feeling of the difference remains.

We did not receive the survey. If we had, we would have voted to keep the status quo. It works. We believe that if it ain't broke, don't break it!

Same here, we are all for formal nights too, unfortunately practices are changing. On formal nights we really haven't ever witnessed anybody ever being asked to leave or not enter a MDR due to inappropriate dress. With the exception just recently on Princess in a specialty (extra charge) restaurant when they asked a fellow to leave due to the short sleeve polo shirt he had on. On the same cruise Princess had been reminding everyone, when they made phone reservations, in that restaurant, that it was a formal night and formal wear was required, no compliance no reservations. We had never ran into that before.

It appears to me that the entire industry is playing coy with this issue. Heretofore dress codes were sort of stated like this "On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. In order to complement your fellow guests, we ask that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening." So, guests dressed inappropriately while sitting with others in formal garb felt guilty. Now, the language runs something more like this for the same evening "For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants." No more guilt.

But we have to ask ourselves, is this dress requirement such a big deal for us, more and more frequently while trying to eat dinner in the MDR we sit there waiting and watching a harried flurry of activity by the understaffed help forging a losing battle trying to keep up. Makes dressing up in my tux on formal nights and trying to dine there a joke. The mass market cruise lines have been toying with the idea of eliminating the MDRs for a while now. Maintaining a memorable dining experience in the MDR is very expensive when compared to operating the buffets. What is happening is that many lines are reducing both service and kitchen staff in the MDRs rendering the dining experience marginally undesirable, while bolstering the cuisine quality and service levels in their specialty (extra charge) restaurants.

Marketing experts suggest the industry is caught in a dilemma here. On the one hand most of their guests prefer a significant reduction in formality and quality over what traditionally has been offered for the entire cruise experience. On the other, a minority of their guests, demographically older, prefer the manner of sailing they are accustomed to. But more importantly, to do away with the old means losing the opportunity to cultivate a culture of younger cruisers to the older style of cruising. Putting the entire industry in a vulnerable posture if and when competition and technology alter leisure vacation preferences and the new mass market fad of cruising looses appeal.

I am in my 70s & frankly am tired of formal nights. My kids, who are in their 40s, adhere to the dress code reluctantly, & in fact like NCL because of their dress code. I think cruise lines have to evolve with the times, & the times are dictating that the days of formal wear are going the way of the dodo bird, like it to not. Times change, fashions change. I came across some photos of my parents & friends arriving at JFK for a trip to Bermuda back in he 70s. My Mom wore a dress, & my dad wore a sports jacket....to fly!

If they eliminate formal nights, those who feel the urge can still do so, & should feel comfortable in doing so.

I am in my 70s & frankly am tired of formal nights. My kids, who are in their 40s, adhere to the dress code reluctantly, & in fact like NCL because of their dress code. I think cruise lines have to evolve with the times, & the times are dictating that the days of formal wear are going the way of the dodo bird, like it to not. Times change, fashions change. I came across some photos of my parents & friends arriving at JFK for a trip to Bermuda back in he 70s. My Mom wore a dress, & my dad wore a sports jacket....to fly!

If they eliminate formal nights, those who feel the urge can still do so, & should feel comfortable in doing so.

I would think that unless it is for a special occasion, most will not have the urge.

I didn't receive the survey, but in case Princess is taking all this in I'd like to vote for access to the MDR every night without formal dress.

I'm happy to dress smartly every night but would prefer not to lose the luggage space that 2 x nights of formal dress (times 4 people) takes up on a month long land and sea holiday in very hot weather. That's four pairs of shoes, three suits, two dresses and a bunch of other things that will only be worn for those few hours and in the case of my boys, who will outgrow theirs in a heartbeat, probably never again.

I hope Princess can come up with a solution that keeps everyone happy.

We just stumbled upon this thread. I have cruised several lines and for my two cents the reason I have returned to Princess over and over again is due to the higher standards and classiness of the ships. We are not strictly formal in our daily lives but totally enjoy the formal nights on Princess. I wonder if PJ's and slippers will become the norm???? Welcome to Walmart ............ where the dress code allows people to walk around in PJ's ,slippers and belly shirts!!! I believe it is a slippery slope and what is a smart casual for one person is a pair of ripped jeans, local beer slogan tee shirt and their favorite teams logo ball cap!(on backwards)

OK any questions where I stand on this subject????

We can usually tell by the end of the appetizer on the first night whether we will enjoy our tablemates for the cruise, so far the answer has always been, you bet! It might be that we have traditional late dining and by asking for that spot we have generally aligned ourselves with couples that have the same 'standards'.

It might be in Princess's best interest to allow all of us to further define our dining preference. When signing into our cruise personalizer, let us choose late night dining/formal, or late night dining/casual; early dining/formal or early dining/casual. I would then be with my 70% brothers and sisters every night (since it seams both sides believe they are in that majority). I would be in a section of the dining room on formal night and not have to worry that I made polo shirt guy feel bad because he was forced to sit at my table. Like wise polo shirt guy won't have to worry if he offended black tie guy.

We all feel more comfortable being with people that make the same choice as ourselves. I could care less who eats in the main dining room on any given night but if some feel strongly that Princess enforce a dress code and others feel strongly that Princess relax the dress code, let's try to find a way to accommodate both houses.

It's funny that in ATD, this problem can easily be addressed by the headwaiters. They simply seat people together that are similarly dressed.

Please everyone take time to enjoy the holiday with your families. We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year. (At least the 70%that are in my camp)

I hope Princess can come up with a solution that keeps everyone happy.

Based on the comments on this thread, that may be unlikely.

There's currently not much that differentiates the mass market cruise lines. I choose a cruise now mainly based upon destination (somewhere I've not been) and my schedule - but beyond destinations, there's really not one cruise line that stands out above the others. They all have positives, but they are all making cuts and changes that have eroded the overall experience over time. I'm just the average person on a cruise and it's disappointing to see some of the things I've enjoyed in the past be eliminated, including formal evenings.

We just stumbled upon this thread. I have cruised several lines and for my two cents the reason I have returned to Princess over and over again is due to the higher standards and classiness of the ships. We are not strictly formal in our daily lives but totally enjoy the formal nights on Princess. I wonder if PJ's and slippers will become the norm???? Welcome to Walmart ............ where the dress code allows people to walk around in PJ's ,slippers and belly shirts!!! I believe it is a slippery slope and what is a smart casual for one person is a pair of ripped jeans, local beer slogan tee shirt and their favorite teams logo ball cap!(on backwards)

OK any questions where I stand on this subject????

While I respect all CCer's, including you, who post support for formal wear at dinner and keeping the formal dress, I find it over-the-top and counter-productive to your position to suggest that the elimination of formal night, or a change to formal optional, means that passengers will show up in PJ's and slippers. I've never seen PJ's in the buffet, let alone the MDR, or anywhere else on board.

I do honestly believe that 99.9% of folks who cruise - and who don't cruise - understand that ripped jeans, beer t-shirts, and sports caps are not "smart casual". Those who may choose the type of attire you described are going to do that anytime, anywhere and it won't matter if the formal is recommended or optional. They make a choice of attire, irregardless of what a majority of folks might do and not because it's their understanding of a clothing definition.

And I am not what you'd call a regular Walmart shopper, but I've never seen anyone shopping in pajamas at any store.

Hi All

Having done a few cruises you get to see some sights, not always pleasant,

been on a cruise were Captain had to detail what could and could not be worn,

bikinis in horizon court are not approved but he was not happy with folks in

thongs and those almost nothing hidden bikinis, then there is the folks in there

white fluffy robes, while for dinner bright coloured sports tops, remember one

guy wore a green and white stripped sports top the whole cruise, as in every

day all day.

My point is there needs to be standards and these need to be enforced as to

what the standards are, these need to be at a level that ensures full cruise

ships that make a profit.

yours Shogun