Favorite Cruise Line/Least Favorite Cruise Line.

Timsierramist

Although Carnival has snapped me up as a first timer due to the value and proximity to me, I have no doubt that I will be trying other cruise lines. Perhaps all of them eventually. So that makes me curious.

What is your favorite cruise line and least favorite cruise line? Any particularly reason why?

(Also, hope this hasn't been asked already and certainly not more than once. But I didn't see any posts similar on a quick search).

Thanks!

I haven't been on a cruise line that I wouldn't go on again, so I really don't have a least favorite.

I have a tie for my favorite - Cunard and HAL. I like the ambience on both of these. I don't need rock climbing walls, flow riders, bumper cars, etc. so they work for me.

The reason you don't see a lot of threads like this (open ended rather than asking to compare two or three lines) is that they tend to get little response beyond glib answers without explanation. Because in spite of the blathering fandom of many of the line-specific boards on Cruise Critic, the most common answer to your question will be "a cruise is a cruise, I'll gladly take most any ship of most any line". Even when someone produces a list of the differences between two lines the argument is made that those are the exceptions that prove the rule that most cruise lines are far more similar than different.

That said, with the vast majority of berths on the USA-based lines controlled by one of two corporations I have a definite personal preference of one:

My cruises on Cunard, Holland America and Princess have all been at least enjoyable with many leaning toward outstanding;

While my recent cruises on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean were both mediocre at best, with moments of poor-to-disastrous incident.

You will likely find the above answer in the small minority as there are far more cruisers who will swear that on the same class of ship Celebrity and Princess (as examples) provide a virtually identical cruise experience. My dissent will be viewed with peculiarity by them--as they would view the whole idea of having one favorite line.

Just to add, my one recent cruise on a non Carnival Corp or Royal Caribbean Line owned ship (NCL) didn't "wow" me but intrigued me enough to consider trying them again. So I guess my answer to the original question is really: Still researching, let me get back to you after a dozen or more future cruises :D

Edited by fishywood

<snip>

Just to add, my one recent cruise on a non Carnival Corp or Royal Caribbean Line owned ship (NCL) didn't "wow" me but intrigued me enough to consider trying them again. So I guess my answer to the original question is really: Still researching, let me get back to you after a dozen or more future cruises :D

So interesting you say that about NCL. It was a cruise line I never gave a thought to cruising. I see the graffiti on their hull and I hate that look. However, after a huge number of cruises, I had specific reasons for sailing NCL for the first time this summer. I was amazed how it exceeded my expectations. I admit to having a full suite and perhaps that made a difference as some say NCL 'does suites well' but I was more than satisfied with the experience. (I am comparing apples to apples as I always have sailed in same category cabin on all the other lines I've sailed).

Does RCI own NCL? I don't think so.

RCI owns Azamara but NCL?

Edited by sail7seas

The reason you don't see a lot of threads like this (open ended rather than asking to compare two or three lines) is that they tend to get little response beyond glib answers without explanation. Because in spite of the blathering fandom of many of the line-specific boards on Cruise Critic, the most common answer to your question will be "a cruise is a cruise, I'll gladly take most any ship of most any line". Even when someone produces a list of the differences between two lines the argument is made that those are the exceptions that prove the rule that most cruise lines are far more similar than different.

That said, with the vast majority of berths on the USA-based lines controlled by one of two corporations I have a definite personal preference of one:

My cruises on Cunard, Holland America and Princess have all been at least enjoyable with many leaning toward outstanding;

While my recent cruises on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean were both mediocre at best, with moments of poor-to-disastrous incident.

You will likely find the above answer in the small minority as there are far more cruisers who will swear that on the same class of ship Celebrity and Princess (as examples) provide a virtually identical cruise experience. My dissent will be viewed with peculiarity by them--as they would view the whole idea of having one favorite line.

I was kinda inspired by the "Favorite Port" and "Least Favorite Port" on the Carnival forums which are bustling with answers and reasons why. A cruise is a cruise, but each line has their own style, ambiance and vibe.

The lines truly are varied.

The opinions on here are certainly varied. Take a look at the cruise buffet etiquette forum, lol. That thing is turning into a monster! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2289170

So interesting you say that about NCL. It was a cruise line I never gave a thought to cruising. I see the graffiti on their hull and I hate that look. However, after a huge number of cruises, I had specific reasons for sailing NCL for the first time this summer. I was amazed how it exceeded my expectations. I admit to having a full suite and perhaps that made a difference as some say NCL 'does suites well' but I was more than satisfied with the experience. (I am comparing apples to apples as I always have sailed in same category cabin on all the other lines I've sailed).

Does RCI own NCL? I don't think so.

RCI owns Azamara but NCL?

I tried to edit out the RCI/NCL sentence but was too late.

I reread your post and I had initially misunderstood what you wrote.

Although Carnival has snapped me up as a first timer due to the value and proximity to me, I have no doubt that I will be trying other cruise lines. Perhaps all of them eventually. So that makes me curious.

What is your favorite cruise line and least favorite cruise line? Any particularly reason why?

(Also, hope this hasn't been asked already and certainly not more than once. But I didn't see any posts similar on a quick search).

Thanks!

Princess, Holland America, Cunard are our favorites.

Least favorite would be NCL, Celebrity

If you want to continue to do cruises out of SoCal your limited to Carnival and Princess year round. On occasion other lines sail out of San Pedro and San Diego.

You're sailing on one of Carnival's oldest ships, relegated to the short cruises. Pax partying like it's Vegas. Fun but a completely different experience than a 7 day or longer cruise.

My favorite is HAL.

My least favorite is NCL.

Cruise lines I have sailed are: HAL (x4) and NCL (and the defunct Orient's Marco Polo, long ago, a first cruise that was almost my last). My one NCL cruise was chosen for price (balcony for the price of an inside on HAL, on short notice); we found the ship (N.Star) shabby and the staff sullen, almost sad. NCL does suites, and only suites, well. We have consistently found HAL ships well-kept and "pretty", the staff upbeat and pleasant, and the experience understated but fulfilling.I am not your most widely-sailed cruiser, not an expert. But I have read AN AWFUL LOT of reviews and opinions on Cruise Critic! The next OTHER cruise line I would consider is Princess... but the itinerary and the deal would have to be better than what HAL is offering for the same time and/or region!

First I want to note that our interests have changed over the years. Some of this comes with age. In other words at one age I preferred certain types of lines and as I've gotten older my tastes have changed. Not much different than tastes chasing over the years on a number of items from automobiles to clothes to music.

My favorite line is Crystal Cruises.

Out of 100 or so cruses and sailing around eleven different lines I've only had one cruise that didn't work of me on another line. But I won't mention which line knowing that some people like it.

Keith

Thanks!

My favorite cruise line changes with the tide. For me, it's a tie between RCI and Celebrity. I think RCI has the best entertainment and most interesting ships, and I think Celebrity has the best ambiance and food.

In the middle are Princess and HAL.

My least favorite...like many others have already said...is NCL. Too much to list.

My favorite cruise line changes with the tide. For me, it's a tie between RCI and Celebrity. I think RCI has the best entertainment and most interesting ships, and I think Celebrity has the best ambiance and food.

In the middle are Princess and HAL.

My least favorite...like many others have already said...is NCL. Too much to list.

I know you said there were too many to list, but I'd be curious to know a few of those reasons. You see, I cruise SOLO (for the time being), and until the rest of the industry gets its head into the Solo game, I may end up choosing NCL just for the value of those single cabins.

I know you said there were too many to list, but I'd be curious to know a few of those reasons. You see, I cruise SOLO (for the time being), and until the rest of the industry gets its head into the Solo game, I may end up choosing NCL just for the value of those single cabins.

My nieces mother, loved NCL. She sailed single in August to Bermuda. She loved the set up for single travelers of all ages and had a ball. We sailed to Bermuda in the Haven on the Breakaway and also loved it- overall the ship is crowded if you aren't in the Haven- but the shows, service and food were all very good. The Quantum was horrible- much too crowded, poor crowd control- food not good. Service not up to the usual Royal Standards. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

I've cruised for a long time, including with three now-defunct lines: Sitmar (merged with Princess long ago), Royal Viking, and whatever lined owned the old Emerald Seas, my first cruise ship...

I cruise mainly for itinerary now. My favorite ships are small ones that can get into smaller and more interesting ports -- such as Voyage to Antiquity's Aegean Odyssey or Swan Hellenic's Minerva. These two would probably look like tenders for the behemoth ships like NCL and RCL have been building...

My favorite mass market lines would be HAL and Princess for itineraries, and Celebrity (S Class) for onboard decor and dining.

I have never sailed with Carnival or RCL -- they just have never appealed to me.

My least favorite line is NCL. They completely ruined my honeymoon many long years ago. The experience is no longer relevant, so I won't rehash it, but I vowed never to sail with them again and I have not been tempted to change my mind!

I've cruised for a long time, including with three now-defunct lines: Sitmar (merged with Princess long ago), Royal Viking, and whatever lined owned the old Emerald Seas, my first cruise ship...

I cruise mainly for itinerary now. My favorite ships are small ones that can get into smaller and more interesting ports -- such as Voyage to Antiquity's Aegean Odyssey or Swan Hellenic's Minerva. These two would probably look like tenders for the behemoth ships like NCL and RCL have been building...

My favorite mass market lines would be HAL and Princess for itineraries, and Celebrity (S Class) for onboard decor and dining.

I have never sailed with Carnival or RCL -- they just have never appealed to me.

My least favorite line is NCL. They completely ruined my honeymoon many long years ago. The experience is no longer relevant, so I won't rehash it, but I vowed never to sail with them again and I have not been tempted to change my mind!

Carnival will end up being my first cruise line (see signature), and there is something to be said about first time loyalty in my books. But something about it kinda doesn't click with me for some reason. I think it's the "funship/party ship" atmosphere with the simple monotone color scheme that seems to lose it's elegance captured on cruising. Hell, what do I know, I haven't even gone yet. But just looking at pictures.

I do like NCL's hi-tech vibe (just look at those gorgeous single cabins), but there is much more to a cruise than how it looks. NCL's ships on the outside do have the face only a mother could love in my opinion.

I have cruised on many lines but tend to prefer the smaller ships. Therefore, I feel most comfortable on Oceania and it seems to suit all of my needs.

Timing and itinerary are most important and if that means a Big Ship, off we go and have enjoyed all of our cruises. Except for one smaller ship similar to O, where cleanliness was a factor, all have been great cruises.

For those that seem to love HAL, they have great itineraries and I would love to try them, but I won't risk having a smoker next to me when on my balcony.

Off to try Silversea next, so I may change my mind as to a favorite. Oh! I forgot, my 1st Disney cruise is coming up end of March as I am taking my Grandson for his 5th birthday. Now, that one should be interesting LOL!

We've been on a few lines now, and would repeat most of them...but some would be only for short cruises of 7 days.

For longer cruises, which we normally take, we don't go with lines which concentrate on enormous tips, especially those which demand an automatic tip for all bar sales. So, we only cruise with lines such as Thomson, P&O etc. for longer cruises.

Our favourite line so far is P&O; the least favourite, although based on only one ship built for the Caribbean, but sailing in an icy Norway, is RCI.

I have cruised on many lines but tend to prefer the smaller ships. Therefore, I feel most comfortable on Oceania and it seems to suit all of my needs.

Timing and itinerary are most important and if that means a Big Ship, off we go and have enjoyed all of our cruises. Except for one smaller ship similar to O, where cleanliness was a factor, all have been great cruises.

For those that seem to love HAL, they have great itineraries and I would love to try them, but I won't risk having a smoker next to me when on my balcony.

Off to try Silversea next, so I may change my mind as to a favorite. Oh! I forgot, my 1st Disney cruise is coming up end of March as I am taking my Grandson for his 5th birthday. Now, that one should be interesting LOL!

All things considered for discerning, experienced travelers, Oceania clearly provides the "best bang for the buck."

Sure. My last 3 cruises on NCL were filled with problems from ship maintainance, stateroom cleanliness, service problems and looong waits for a table in the MDR. Additionally, they are the leaders of nickel and dime and I do not agree with all their added charges. Room service is $7.95, just to name one example. I can't say I haven't given them a fair shake. I'm a Gold Latitudes member with 7 NCL cruises. As far as quality, they just haven't measured up to all my other cruises on 4 other lines.

All things considered for discerning, experienced travelers, Oceania clearly provides the "best bang for the buck."

Whoa. Don't try to speak for all experienced travelers. It's your preference, not everyone's.

Generally you get what you pay for. HAL is our favourite but not always keen on the itineraries. Loved Cunard Queen Mary but the restaurant service was bad and the food mediocre. Silver sea was great but expensive. Princess was a let down, overcrowded with huge lines everywhere. Carnival has the best cabins, food is good too but the passengers can be a challenge! RCL is ok. But hate their giant ships.