French Onion soup anyone?

ar1950

Is this the same one served in Crown Grill? I need to get a recipe for that one... ;)

The one in the Crown Grill uses Roquefort cheese, the one in the MDR uses Gruyere cheese.

Found this recipe:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=957734

Post 10

Princess Cruises wrote11 hours ago

Here is the recipe you reqeusted. Enjoy!

Black and Blue Onion Soup

6 Servings

Soup:

4 medium-sized sliced white onions (1 lb, 5 oz)

5 cups chicken stock

1/8 tsp fresh thyme leaves

½ tsp olive oil

2 tbsp Jack Daniels

Roquefort Crust:

½ loaf white or French bread

1 garlic bulb, cut across the grain

Olive Oil

½ lb Roquefort cheese, crumbled

• Sauté the onions in olive oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally until browned, being careful not to burn them. Add thyme and cook for an additional 2 minutes

• Add in the Jack Daniels and carefully flame off the alcohol

• Add the stock and simmer for 1 hour, over a moderate heat, allowing the onions to stew and thereby releasing their natural sugars and flavor

• Season to taste

• Ladle into ovenproof bowls

• For the Roquefort crust – cut the bread into rounds, sized to fit into the bowls. Rub the garlic bulbs across the bread. Place onto baking sheets and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the oven until crisp and golden brown

• Top each soup portion with a round of toasted bread and thick layer of Roquefort cheese. Place in the broiler until the cheese is melted and lightly browned and serve immediately

Is this the same one served in Crown Grill? I need to get a recipe for that one... ;)

No the Crown's is Black and Blue French onion soup and is quite superior. The MDR is mass produced French onion soup which is still good, but definitely not the same.

BTW, the recipe in post 15 above is for the Black and Blue Onion soup that is served in the Crown Grill. At least that is what the original poster claimed. :cool:

Edited by ar1950

Recipe is similar to the one I use, I add two TBSP of butter and white wine instead of Jack. Have tried it twice in main dining room always reminded me of warmed over dishwater. Just call me a soup snob, small batches made at home are always better. Although being away from the everyday grind and on a cruise even makes mediocre soup taste great.:D

On that particular thread, "J" made sure to say it was on a 10 day itinerary. We have NOT had French onion soup on our past several cruises. Two were 15 day cruises. All ships seem to be doing their own thing when it comes to menus. Has anyone noticed the 4 mushroom soup has been gone too? That's why I like the 50th anniversary dinner.

Cheers, Denise

I have seen the onion soup in the MDR this year and last on 4, 7, 14 day cruises. I haven't been sure why people keep saying it's gone. I had it last night on the Crown. I was on 6 cruises in 2015 and almost certain I saw it every time.

Love the onion soup in the Crown Grill! Will definitely try it in MDR if it is still on the menu. I will also try the veal pasta. I have never had veal but looks like it has many votes so I'll try it. Maybe I will have a pasta night, onion soup, fettuccini app, veal pasta and spaghetti and meatballs for main course! Then I can be rolled back to my cabin. :eek: