Royal Caribbean Bypasses Labadee Due to Local Protests

LauraS

On the Allure Next week... maybe a 7 day cruise with 2 Ports... Oh well its the Allure - the ship is just as fun.

Hoping that if the situation continues, Royal will find alternative ports. I know Allure can fit in Costa Maya. They could also add Nassau to the first day, but I think I'd rather have the sea day! ;)

Let's all protest the protest. They are losing a lot of money.

"Today, when Freedom of the Seas arrived to Labadee, Haiti, the ship encountered a number of locals in small boats staging a protest. Although this protest was peaceful in nature, it was clear that if the protest continued, there would be a significant impact on our guests’ ability to enjoy Labadee.

On the Allure Next week... maybe a 7 day cruise with 2 Ports... Oh well its the Allure - the ship is just as fun.

Literally, in the same boat. Next week could be interesting. Always wanted a weeklong cruise to no where. This may be the closest I ever get.

If local start so much unrest, the country is not stable and RCL would not want the risk or liability, could this mean then end of ladadee as a stop? Haiti use be a large tourist area, there was even club med at one time. No due to unstable movement and crime, all has closed. Hope this is not next.:(

Without getting political, Haiti hasn't been stable for a very long time, but somehow Labadee has. While this week's events COULD be indicative of problems with Labadee's future, I'd take a few deep breaths and see if this continues for a period of time.

I suspect once the election is over, things will return to "normal". There are a number of reasons I don't like "normal", but the relationship with Labadee isn't one of them.

On my last night of a five night cruise on Brilliance.....missed Key West, so only had Cozumel as a port. Life goes on....getting on Vision in the morning, then Freedom after that. Supposed to go to Key West and Labadee on Vision and Labadee on Freedom. We shall see what happens. I'd rather be safe.....thanks Royal Caribbean! I can do without Key West or Labadee, if I'm in danger due to rough seas or tension and protests.

There is now a 3 day break with no ships scheduled. The next scheduled ship is the Navigator on Jan 25th.

Does that include Celebrity? (assuming you checked one of the port schedule sites.)

Edited by BillOh

Hoping that if the situation continues, Royal will find alternative ports. I know Allure can fit in Costa Maya. They could also add Nassau to the first day, but I think I'd rather have the sea day! ;)

Allure can physically fit there on one side of the pier, but don't know the port schedule.

On my last night of a five night cruise on Brilliance.....missed Key West, so only had Cozumel as a port. Life goes on....getting on Vision in the morning, then Freedom after that. Supposed to go to Key West and Labadee on Vision and Labadee on Freedom. We shall see what happens. I'd rather be safe.....thanks Royal Caribbean! I can do without Key West or Labadee, if I'm in danger due to rough seas or tension and protests.

Excellent post:)

One of the reasons I booked my cruise was to visit Labadee but honestly I would be okay with CoCo Cay instead. Looking at pictures over the last few months Labadee's beaches don't look so hot too me.

I'm on the same cruise as you. Don't expect CocoCay, as Oasis Class can't tender. Alternative ports would probably be either Nassau or Costa Maya.

Btw, I love Labadee's beaches.