"Meatloaf" new low for RCCL Windjammer Lunch Carving Station

One day the card outside Blu advertised "Airplane Chicken" -- I am not kidding. I spoke to the Maitre'd and he started to disagree with me so I turned the sign around so he could see it. It was quickly changed to some other chicken dish title.

It was probably "Airline Chicken" (or maybe they did call it "Airplane"), but that typically refers to a particular cut. It's an otherwise boneless breast with the drumette, or first wing joint, still attached. It's not meant to imply anything about airplane food, but I can see how you might mistakenly take it that way.

It depends on the recipe for meatloaf. If they combine pork, beef and veal, with the right herbs, it may be good. I often combine beef and sausage.

Windjammer was pretty sad on our last cruise. And we're stuck w/ it on port days.

In 2015, we tried Princess, Celebrity and Royal. We meant to try HAL, but I got sick and we had to cancel. We rate them Celebrity, Royal and Princess in that order. Princess did better w/ special requests, but Royal did better w/ maintenance. Also, staterooms are better laid out.

Around the time Princess admitted the norovirus outbreak on the Star, the food quality plummeted.

This year, we're trying HAL, Royal and Disney (b2b).

We still have three bookings on Royal Caribbean to use up. But we haven't been getting any more since they started open bookings w/ such pitiful OBC offerings.

Edited by knittinggirl

Windjammer was pretty sad on our last cruise. And we're stuck w/ it on port days.

In 2015, we tried Princess, Celebrity and Royal. We meant to try HAL, but I got sick and we had to cancel. We rate them Celebrity, Royal and Princess in that order. Princess did better w/ special requests, but Royal did better w/ maintenance. Also, staterooms are better laid out.

Around the time Princess admitted the norovirus outbreak on the Star, the food quality plummeted.

This year, we're trying HAL, Royal and Disney (b2b).

We still have three bookings on Royal Caribbean to use up. But we haven't been getting any more since they started open bookings w/ such pitiful OBC offerings.

Are you trying to tell us that you have tried meatloaf on these cruise lines or are you trying to tell how many cruise lines you have sailed on which has nothing to do with meatloaf

If they combine pork, beef and veal, with the right herbs, it may be good. .

Thats the way my mom makes it. Its ok. Me? Im just a straight up ground chuck, egg, chopped onion and green pepper, bread crumbs, seasonings and Heinz chili sauce on top kind of meatloaf fan. I havent ever met many meatloaves I despised though :)

Edited by ryano

It's funny how a meatloaf is able to make or beak someone else joy of cruising with a certain line.

That being said, I have never tried a meatloaf before. Therefore, I don't mind it being on the carving station since I could try it. But if everyday's selection is a meatloaf, then i'm probably skipping it for some of the days.

It's just stuffed meat in a loaf of bread right? ;)

Are you trying to tell us that you have tried meatloaf on these cruise lines or are you trying to tell how many cruise lines you have sailed on which has nothing to do with meatloaf

Replying to OP comment about waiting until they returned home book something. I'd gathered they were considering other cruise lines.

We had Texas Chili, Beef Stroganoff, maybe American Meatloaf (American Something) on Princess that had some really weird recipes.

But as I said, it would depend on their recipe for meatloaf. At Windjammer, they had the daily mystery stew, some sort of pasta or rice. And Pizza that was horrid, like cheese on salt-free saltines. I usually go for the pizza, but it took no willpower to skip! I think our old dorm food was better!

Edited by knittinggirl

I actually had some great meatloaf at Ellen's Stardust Diner (not your typical diner) recently while I was in NYC...It was amazing !!!

Will I try the RCI meatloaf...yes.

Glad to read that many are agreeing with me about the RCI desserts...I write about this subject and complain to RCI about them as often as I can.

The Stardust Diner is the best - great fun before a show!

Replying to OP comment about waiting until they returned home book something. I'd gathered they were considering other cruise lines.

We had Texas Chili, Beef Stroganoff, maybe American Meatloaf (American Something) on Princess that had some really weird recipes.

But as I said, it would depend on their recipe for meatloaf. At Windjammer, they had the daily mystery stew, some sort of pasta or rice. And Pizza that was horrid, like cheese on salt-free saltines. I usually go for the pizza, but it took no willpower to skip! I think our old dorm food was better!

Ok, thanks.

Hello

It's always an issue on aB2b when you know if there is something you don't like you will be faced with it on the second week, we had this too. It sometimes seems that one day there are lots of things I like and the next day there is nothing, having said that I've never not gained weight on a cruise - must be the sea air :p.

As for the deserts, we've been on about 26 cruises and IMO the quality has gone down, they always look much tastier than they look, to the point where I often don't bother now, the only ones I like are the Cafe promenade Cheesecake lollipops.

I hear so many positive comments on he cheesecake lollipops. I tried them twice on our recent Indy cruise,unfortunately for me they seemed to be under done. Threw them out. Oh, I am a dessert lover, so for me to throw something out it has to be bad.

I hear so many positive comments on he cheesecake lollipops. I tried them twice on our recent Indy cruise,unfortunately for me they seemed to be under done. Threw them out. Oh, I am a dessert lover, so for me to throw something out it has to be bad.

I prefer the Zepollis from Cafe Promenade or Cafe Latitude.

I think the Enchantment calls them Led Zepolinis. ;)

Meatloaf is not bad.

It is OK to mix things up for a change.........

I would rather have a slice of meatloaf (a little gravy and some mashed potatoes) than a sub-par slice of that carving station roast beef which oftentimes you can barely chew ! ;)

That is really a new low. Hope not to see that on the Indy this weekend.

We have found the food and service in MDR has sunk in recent years but it is still much, much better than the terrible food and even worse service we received on our one and only Celebrity cruise in March 2014. On that cruise, for the first time ever (30+cruises) we wished we could get off the ship and go home. We were Aqua class and thought Blu would be wonderful -- NOT except for Breakfast. One day the card outside Blu advertised "Airplane Chicken" -- I am not kidding. I spoke to the Maitre'd and he started to disagree with me so I turned the sign around so he could see it. It was quickly changed to some other chicken dish title.

I think you mean "Airline Chicken". It is a food term. Airline chicken is a food dish comprising a boneless chicken breast with the drumette attached. Skin on breast with 1st wing joint and tenderloin attached, otherwise boneless. The cut is also known as a frenched breast.

Meatloaf just gives them way too much leeway.

If it's a roast of any kind, it's pretty transparent. But a loaf of food...could be anything from yesterday, ground up, and seasoned accordingly. Too many unknowns for me.

Nothing wrong with mystery meats. Like meatloaf, spam, hotdogs and bologna. Yum!

Edited by davekathy