"Meatloaf" new low for RCCL Windjammer Lunch Carving Station

I love meatloaf and really enjoyed it at the carving station on my last cruise. The way I look at it is , where else can you find a vacation for approximately $100.00 per person per night that includes a room, 3 + meals, daily activities, an evening show and a different location each day.? Have to keep it in perspective.

Honestly, my stomach appreciates when I eat some more 'mudane' foods for lunch.

The breakfasts and dinners I eat on a cruise are richer/heavier/bigger than what I normally eat at home. (I'm on vacation! Load it up!)

So a nice normal size lunch with normal foods is actually a good thing. :p

How old does one have to be to remember this, 200????:rolleyes:

I don't mind mac n cheese at all, but never heard of putting cut up hot dogs in it! Does NOT sound good! :)

Perhaps I should have said;"Remember from your history books". But, of course there might be a few members of the HAL and X boards that could remember this from personal experience.:D

Mac 'n cheese with a hot dog was a student staple at University. And with Ketchup, it was a poor student's gourmet meal for the week!

How old does one have to be to remember this, 200????:rolleyes:

I don't mind mac n cheese at all, but never heard of putting cut up hot dogs in it! Does NOT sound good! :)

Kraft Mac n cheese, hot dogs, and peas. Yummy. You ca also substitute spam or tuna for hot dogs. Fed it to the boys whenever Laura travelled

We like to eat at Windjammer for the convenience and flexibility of time management. I very rarely get meat from the carving station; I like the meat choices cooked in a recipe better. Plain meat I can have at home. Sometimes I don't even notice what they are carving. That said. . .

I like decent meatloaf, and gravy disguises a world of sins. It's not so much that meatloaf is being served; it's that it is the "carving" selection. I have had/seen meatloaf on many ships, but it has always been sliced and in warming trays like other selections. I think of Randy from "A Christmas Story." "Meatloaf, meatloaf, double beat loaf!"

I recently returned from a great cruise on Grandeur. One time the carving station was carving chicken. Really they were just quartering sections. Chicken in sections should just be served in a heating tray, as they do each day. One time they were "carving" turkey legs, slicing pieces off of turkey legs. Seemed to be an unusual carving choice.

Edited by natty bumppo

Just back from b2b cruises on the Adventure out of San Juan and found that the "meatloaf" offering at the Windjammer carving station is a new low for RCCL. Roast Beef was offered day 1 only of each week but then the choices varied from lamb, corned beef, jerk pork and turkey loaf.

OP can you confirm what TIME of day this was? I'm so curious if this were a lunch option or a dinner option?

Kraft Mac n cheese, hot dogs, and peas. Yummy. You ca also substitute spam or tuna for hot dogs. Fed it to the boys whenever Laura travelled

Oh yeah! I just had some chorizo spam fried in bacon grease and two eggs over-easy. Pure ambrosia.

Edited by Don Pedro

Kraft Mac n cheese, hot dogs, and peas. Yummy. You ca also substitute spam or tuna for hot dogs.

Have eaten the tuna one for ages, adding a can of cream of mushroom soup to make it more like tradtional tuna casserole. Very much one of my comfort foods.

Maybe it's a southern thing but I LOVE a good meatloaf. :D

I do too! And if Royal can prepare one correctly, I dont find it to be a new low at all. I dont think it belongs at the carving station but I will certainly take a good meatloaf over some of the tough, low grade meats Ive found at that station in the past.

The meatloaf selection at a meat carving station was on the Liberty repositioning cruise we were on in November. Believe it or not, it was actually good. My reaction to seeing it there was much the same as others here have posted, until we tried it. Pleasantly surprised

Perhaps I should have said;"Remember from your history books". But, of course there might be a few members of the HAL and X boards that could remember this from personal experience.:D

Mac 'n cheese with a hot dog was a student staple at University. And with Ketchup, it was a poor student's gourmet meal for the week!

This almost harkens back to the dark days of the Great Depression when the penniless would go to Horn & Hardart and make "tomato soup" out of hot water and ketchup, and eat it with crackers, things that were available without charge.

My cheap college meals involved lots of ramen noodles.

Maybe it's a southern thing but I LOVE a good meatloaf. :D

Me too. Goes well here in the swamps of Florida with sweet potatoes. Side of sweet tea and we are good to go!

DH loves leftover meatloaf in sandwiches. ;)

And you can't go to Hawaii without tripping over a can of Spam! Boy they love their Spam there! :D

Edited by island lady