"Meatloaf" new low for RCCL Windjammer Lunch Carving Station

Maybe it's a southern thing but I LOVE a good meatloaf. :D

It's not a southern thing at all. I ,also, love a good meatloaf or even a pretty good one. I am a born and bred New Englander and grew up eating meatloaf, and made it frequently for my own family! :D

It's not a southern thing at all. I ,also, love a good meatloaf or even a pretty good one. I am a born and bred New Englander and grew up eating meatloaf, and made it frequently for my own family! :D

Make your meatloaf mixture and flatten it into a rectangle. Lay out some mozzarella and pepperoni slices. Roll it up and cook as you normally would a meatloaf. Gives new meaning to a Swiss Roll. Straight out of the south, very southern New York that is!

Make your meatloaf mixture and flatten it into a rectangle. Lay out some mozzarella and pepperoni slices. Roll it up and cook as you normally would a meatloaf. Gives new meaning to a Swiss Roll. Straight out of the south, very southern New York that is!

I will be trying this. Soon. :)

I will be trying this. Soon. :)

If you have something to elevate the loaf from the bottom of the pan, it will minimize the grease run-off from the meats and cheese.

OR

You can do what we sometimes do and just let it cook and caramelize into a gooey mess of unhealthiness on the bottom!

Provolone slices can also be used instead of mozzarella. And no reduced fat cheese; it just doesn't melt the same!

Im so doing this! Thanks!

I've seen some low fat "cheese" that doesn't melt at all...it just turns kind of shiny in the oven! :eek:

Provolone sounds good. Maybe some havarti...and maybe some bacon. :D I hope my doctor's not reading this! ;):D

Any good melting cheese that one might like will work well. And wrapped in bacon. . .

Some who are weak of heart use Genoa salami slices instead of pepperoni. I go for the gusto.

I just can't decide if I should get the angioplasty before or after eating it.

We think the carved ham at breakfast in the Windjammer is very good. I wish they would serve that at lunch also.

We also like the chicken-a-la-king that some ships serve.

We had meatloaf serve one day in the Windjammer. We actually liked it.

I agree with OP that it should not be served as a "carving station item" -- It could be served in the line like other foods.

Sometimes when I could not find anything I wanted for lunch, I would get a hamburger patty and put some onion gravy on it -- actually pretty tasty.

Edited by Jimnbigd

Hello

It's always an issue on aB2b when you know if there is something you don't like you will be faced with it on the second week, we had this too. It sometimes seems that one day there are lots of things I like and the next day there is nothing, having said that I've never not gained weight on a cruise - must be the sea air :p.

As for the deserts, we've been on about 26 cruises and IMO the quality has gone down, they always look much tastier than they look, to the point where I often don't bother now, the only ones I like are the Cafe promenade Cheesecake lollipops.

But I was irritated when I learned that on Navigator this past November they had no intentions of making those terrific cheesecake lollipops. I was so disappointed.

OMG! That sounds fabulous...kind of like the poor man's braciole (sp?) I was actually planning to make meatloaf for dinner tonight , but I may try your recipe, instead. Ah, the things you learn on cruise critic! :D

Try it mixed any way on the Grill, you will need one of the SS cooking plate with holes in it or those new plastic cooking mats(I don not care for) to keep it from falling through and just cook it like baking it and you can you can roll it over and brown it on both sides. My next one will be smoked on my BGE.

Maybe we should start a Cruise critic cooking blog LOL

Oh my, speaking of "fried" bologna, that is what we had too. When my husband and I got married, we were very poor, and then not too long after that, we had TWINS! So we had to do the best we could at that time, and it was something, better than nothing, right??? Fixed a little different too. I used to cut up hot dogs in our pancakes, and make faces for the twins. Those pancakes stuck to the ribs too.:)

This. As long as someone else is cooking and cleaning up!

Am I the only one that really doesn't see the big deal with meatloaf at the buffet, even if it was at the carving station?

Meatloaf to many is a comfort food, reminds them of "moms home cooking".....

I typically make meatloaf maybe 2x a year just because its not something we really prefer but many do. Its becoming more popular on restaurant menus too...even saw it on some high end restaurants in NYC before..

I really am amazed by peoples posts at times, so we now are comparing dinning on RC ships with finer road side dinning venues like Cracker Barrel and people are content, pleased or don't care they are eating hamburger instead of a better cut a of meat yet are paying more for it?

This is justified as not being a cost cut somehow as meat loaf is more labour intensive to prepare? Really who thinks RC increased staffing to cover the added burden of making meat loaf?

I would agree Cracker Barrel is one of the better highway dinners but I would never consider eating lunch at one every day for even a week.

I just returned from a month on Oahu and actually paid for a Spam burger at Jack in the Box. I did not expect it to be the equivalent to a decent burger but at $1.99 what the heck I gave it a try since I had not eaten spam for about 50 years.

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2014/08/12/jack-in-the-box-new-spam-teri-jr-jack/

I assume people would be pleased as well if the grill started serving them as part of an expanded menu and cut back on the regular burgers?