"Meatloaf" new low for RCCL Windjammer Lunch Carving Station

Just back from b2b cruises on the Adventure out of San Juan and found that the "meatloaf" offering at the Windjammer carving station is a new low for RCCL. Roast Beef was offered day 1 only of each week but then the choices varied from lamb, corned beef, jerk pork and turkey loaf.

Unlike previous cruises the mini carrot cake cupcakes and mini cheesecakes were repeated every day in the windjammer for dessert with very little variety.

We have always enjoyed our cruises with Royal over the years (I believe our total is nearing 35 after those last 2) but we feel like they really do not appreciate our loyalty to the cruise line, taking our business for granted.

We boarded with the intentions of booking a next cruise on a transatlantic sailing followed by a med cruise but after day 2 of week 1 we decided to wait and take a look at options after arriving back home.

Hello

It's always an issue on aB2b when you know if there is something you don't like you will be faced with it on the second week, we had this too. It sometimes seems that one day there are lots of things I like and the next day there is nothing, having said that I've never not gained weight on a cruise - must be the sea air :p.

As for the deserts, we've been on about 26 cruises and IMO the quality has gone down, they always look much tastier than they look, to the point where I often don't bother now, the only ones I like are the Cafe promenade Cheesecake lollipops.

Thanks for reporting this new item contributing to the "great rush to the bottom".

Our last RCL cruise had a ham, port and beef carving station throughout the week. If these quality roast meat options have been replaced with processed meat and cheap hamburger - then this is a significant downgrade.

This is not dissimilar to our last Celebrity cruise - the food downgrade was very obvious in all venues including extra pay.

We have no RCL or Celebrity cruises booked and do not anticipate doing so.

This company has two focuses we do not support - cheapening the product and instituting an overt class system aboard.

Off to Oceania.

Happy and safe sailing to all.

ABoatNerd

That is really a new low. Hope not to see that on the Indy this weekend.

We have found the food and service in MDR has sunk in recent years but it is still much, much better than the terrible food and even worse service we received on our one and only Celebrity cruise in March 2014. On that cruise, for the first time ever (30+cruises) we wished we could get off the ship and go home. We were Aqua class and thought Blu would be wonderful -- NOT except for Breakfast. One day the card outside Blu advertised "Airplane Chicken" -- I am not kidding. I spoke to the Maitre'd and he started to disagree with me so I turned the sign around so he could see it. It was quickly changed to some other chicken dish title.

Also, on our December cruise on IOS, there was only 1 type of cookie made everyday and that was Oatmeal. Gone were the sugar and chocolate chip cookies

We've also seen the lack of cookie varieties lately, but I'm pleased to say this was not the case on Vision. They had a good mix, including chocolate chip, at Park Cafe, WJ, and Cafe Latte-Tudes.

but we feel like they really do not appreciate our loyalty to the cruise line, taking our business for granted.

Not sure what this has to do with food options......same food served to everyone regardless of "loyalty" level.

That said, meat loaf on a carving station????:rolleyes: Maybe expect that on an April Fools cruise.............:rolleyes:

I haven't seen a dessert worth eating in Windjammer for years.:(

Since others mentioned Celebrity - we tried Reflection last March and the buffett food was definitely worse than any we've ever had on RCCL.

The cruises we have booked on RCCL were all at great prices on ships/ports we like. We obviously aren't booking for the food :(

Edited by bouhunter

Thanks for reporting this new item contributing to the "great rush to the bottom".

Our last RCL cruise had a ham, port and beef carving station throughout the week. If these quality roast meat options have been replaced with processed meat and cheap hamburger - then this is a significant downgrade.

This is not dissimilar to our last Celebrity cruise - the food downgrade was very obvious in all venues including extra pay.

We have no RCL or Celebrity cruises booked and do not anticipate doing so.

This company has two focuses we do not support - cheapening the product and instituting an overt class system aboard.

Off to Oceania.

Happy and safe sailing to all.

ABoatNerd

Oceania has a class system as well....boarding is done by suite category.

Edited by Emdee

I have had 2 Royal cruises and 7 Carnival. My last 2 were on Royal. Throughout the whole cruise, on both Royal, my husband constantly reminded me that the food on Carnival was better. It wouldn't surprise me that Royal now is serving Meatloaf at the carving station. I found many meals that were sub-par. Now don't get me wrong--I've loved my Royal cruises! They certainly put the WOW factor in cruising! Their ships were fabulous! And we had a wonderful time on both, but for the higher cost we paid to sail on those two cruises, you would think their food would be superior. I do think they had more food venue choices than our last Carnival cruises, but I hear that Carnival has added more now. We are booked next for a Norwegian cruise for next year. I can't wait to see how they compare. Would I cruise RCCL again, based on what I just reported about their food? Yes--in a heart beat!

That is really a new low. Hope not to see that on the Indy this weekend.

We have found the food and service in MDR has sunk in recent years but it is still much, much better than the terrible food and even worse service we received on our one and only Celebrity cruise in March 2014. On that cruise, for the first time ever (30+cruises) we wished we could get off the ship and go home. We were Aqua class and thought Blu would be wonderful -- NOT except for Breakfast. One day the card outside Blu advertised "Airplane Chicken" -- I am not kidding. I spoke to the Maitre'd and he started to disagree with me so I turned the sign around so he could see it. It was quickly changed to some other chicken dish title.

Hello! Actually airplane chicken is an actual dish! It had roots back when airplane food was prized cuisine. It's mainly a piece of boneless chicken breast with the drumette attached. But If the rest of the food wasn't great, it probably wouldn't have been either,

I have not experienced this new meatloaf. However, believe it or not meatloaf is now considered a delicacy in many high end restaurants. Of course it comes wrapped in prosciutto with truffle sauce. Assuming that's not the case here.

I just ordered a meatloaf dish last week in a restaurant. I have to say it was out of this world in presentation and taste. However, I doubt RCCL would taste as good.

I'm not a big fan of Buffets but it would seem meatloaf fits in with the concept of a buffet.

Am I the only one that really doesn't see the big deal with meatloaf at the buffet, even if it was at the carving station?

Meatloaf to many is a comfort food, reminds them of "moms home cooking".....

I typically make meatloaf maybe 2x a year just because its not something we really prefer but many do. Its becoming more popular on restaurant menus too...even saw it on some high end restaurants in NYC before..

Cheapo diner food. Yeah, I know many like it, but I am sure on a cruise it is low grade meat and tons of bread filling. Not up to par for what I expect for my cruise dollars.

I said the same on Princess forums a few weeks ago and was immediately shot down by people telling me meatloaf is the best, and they get gourmet meatloaf, etc. Yeah, not on a cruise you don't.

Not sure what this has to do with food options......same food served to everyone regardless of "loyalty" level.

That said, meat loaf on a carving station????:rolleyes: Maybe expect that on an April Fools cruise.............:rolleyes:

I haven't seen a dessert worth eating in Windjammer for years.:(

Since others mentioned Celebrity - we tried Reflection last March and the buffett food was definitely worse than any we've ever had on RCCL.

The cruises we have booked on RCCL were all at great prices on ships/ports we like. We obviously aren't booking for the food :(

We are D+ in RCCL and Elite in Celebrity, IMHO the Oceanview cafe is much better at any time of the day than the WJ. In the mornings they have eggs cook to order stations, for lunch and dinner they will also have one for pastas. When we did the Baltic on the Eclipse they added a Meat and fish station where we ordered either one and were grilled by a chef right there . Also the Ocean View café is opened until late at night. On our last Oasis cruise the WJ closed at 9:00 PM!

Is there a requirement that one has to eat this meatloaf??

Geez- seems as if they are forcing it down your throat.

You are going to a buffet for dinner, not sure why it's so evil to have meatloaf. One of the best things I've eaten was what all of you would call meatloaf.

So, for me, I'm going to TRY the dish before 1) not eating it, 2) condemning such a dish for a buffet, and 3) stretching all of that to cost cutting.

If it tastes good, I don't care where it's served.

One other note- while it *seems* as if it's easy and cheap to make- there's a LOT more labor in making a meat loaf than any roast. For a roast, you put your spices on it, and put it into the oven until it's done. Meatloaf has to be assembled- or at least all mixed together. So the offset of the "cost save" for the cut of meat is easily offset by the increase of labor. For you at home, your labor is free- which is why it's a good choice.

Edited by alfaeric

We are D+ in RCCL and Elite in Celebrity, IMHO the Oceanview cafe is much better at any time of the day than the WJ. In the mornings they have eggs cook to order stations, for lunch and dinner they will also have one for pastas. When we did the Baltic on the Eclipse they added a Meat and fish station where we ordered either one and were grilled by a chef right there . Also the Ocean View café is opened until late at night. On our last Oasis cruise the WJ closed at 9:00 PM!

I have heard this is the case on Celebrity. I am looking forward to trying the Oceanview Cafe next year when I sail Celebrity for the first time.

As for Oasis, this is typical of all ships that have other venues such as Cafe Promenade and Sorrentos. They have these other venues open late so Windjammer can close.

We didn't have mini carrot cake cupcakes on the Jewel. I would have liked that. I do like the cake roulade, which they had almost daily. But it's consistent.

We had these on Vision (January 2016) every time we had lunch in the WJ, but they are more like mini carrot muffins, and they are not iced. What's carrot cake without cream cheese icing?