Just off the Glory and....

Crus4US

Just a few thoughts and comments;

This is our first cruise in 4 years and lot has changed.....

Our steward was wonderful and told us he would be making up our room 2x a day.

The American Table menu was not very good. I also noticed the buffet and dining room had some of the same dishes. I can't put my finger on it, but the dining room was off on our visits. It was strange that you order a baked potato and 10 minutes later someone comes around with sour cream and bacon. Just put some on the plate. Anyway, it has changed and not for the best. The Blue Iguana and Guy's Burgers were awesome and the Pizza was top notch They need to rethink the dining room menu though

The internet package deals were a steal. We got the top package for$99 and loved that you could log on from any device, one at a time of course. (we had to get it for work) The chat also worked wonderfully between all of us as so we didn't have to chase down our kids.

Playlist productions were ok, but honestly I had to drag my family to them..lol Not a fan of the Hasbro show it was annoying, and they did it 2x on a 7 day cruise.

Comedy room has a bad layout......but good comedians.

We still had a good time, but the whole cruise seemed a bit off to me....don't know why...

BTW- Eric the CD said that the midnight buffet will be coming back.....we shall see....

Glad you had a good time.

I don't think the cruise was off.

It sounds like a typical Carnival cruise these days.

We all just have to decide if it is still good enough to keep sailing them.

There will be many views but ultimately it's up to each of us

Yes thanks for the report. We will be on her in less than 7 months. I know what you mean about being off. A few years ago we sailed on the Spirit and the MDR service was just off. My in laws were there for their first cruise and didn't know any different, but my wife and I commented to each other how things were different. We still had a great time!

I agree with you completely. My last Carnival Glory cruise was off in a "I can't put my finger on it" kind of way. Service in general was rather lackadaisical and robotic (not the usual Carnival good cheer). Both American Table and Sea Day Brunch menus/options were horrible. When I cruise I enjoy a main dining room experience that has a table cloth & good menu. I'm not impressed with the over emphasis on casual main dining rooms. It's surprising that Carnival continues on with this BAD idea. No one I talked to who cruises Carnival regularly likes AT or SDB.

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem

Did you eat at the Fish 'n Chips place? I couldn't find it. Asked 4 crew members and they didn't know either!

Please make sure you comment on the issues you had in the email you get.

It's just upstairs from the buffet. There are stairs that run up behind the dessert bar that get you there. Kinda hard to spot until you see it. Then it's RIGHT there. Lol

I agree with you completely. My last Carnival Glory cruise was off in a "I can't put my finger on it" kind of way. Service in general was rather lackadaisical and robotic (not the usual Carnival good cheer). Both American Table and Sea Day Brunch menus/options were horrible. When I cruise I enjoy a main dining room experience that has a table cloth & good menu. I'm not impressed with the over emphasis on casual main dining rooms. It's surprising that Carnival continues on with this BAD idea. No one I talked to who cruises Carnival regularly likes AT or SDB.

Let me introduce myself. I like American Table and Sea Day Brunch. SDB menu is identical to the one previous to the rollout of AT except it doesn't have the Punchliner references (Such as "Funniest French Toast"). The AT isn't that different from the old menu. A lot of the things are the same.

That being said, you are entitled to your opinion and I'm not arguing. Just thought I would be the first person you talked to that enjoys both and has been sailing Carnival regularly :D

I love the Glory and just finished my 7th cruise on her last month. Everyone has different experiences even on the same cruise, so things can be very subjective. I do understand about a cruise being "off". That's the way my most recent Conquest cruise was. I couldn't narrow it down to anything specific, either. The fact that I got food poisoning didn't help, but it was that way from the time we boarded. It wasn't bad, just not thrilling. That was the first time I couldn't wait to get home from a cruise.

Don't let one experience deter you from trying again. I'm glad I didn't.

Just a few thoughts and comments;

This is our first cruise in 4 years and lot has changed.....

Our steward was wonderful and told us he would be making up our room 2x a day.

The American Table menu was not very good. I also noticed the buffet and dining room had some of the same dishes. I can't put my finger on it, but the dining room was off on our visits. It was strange that you order a baked potato and 10 minutes later someone comes around with sour cream and bacon. Just put some on the plate. Anyway, it has changed and not for the best. The Blue Iguana and Guy's Burgers were awesome and the Pizza was top notch They need to rethink the dining room menu though

The internet package deals were a steal. We got the top package for$99 and loved that you could log on from any device, one at a time of course. (we had to get it for work) The chat also worked wonderfully between all of us as so we didn't have to chase down our kids.

Playlist productions were ok, but honestly I had to drag my family to them..lol Not a fan of the Hasbro show it was annoying, and they did it 2x on a 7 day cruise.

Comedy room has a bad layout......but good comedians.

We still had a good time, but the whole cruise seemed a bit off to me....don't know why...

BTW- Eric the CD said that the midnight buffet will be coming back.....we shall see....

Sailed Glory last October and did not care for it at all. Generally speaking (and excluding the MDR staff), the crew were not pleasant at all and the lines were everywhere were terrible. I ordered a decorative package for my grandsons' cabin and it was the wrong one. I stood in line at GS two nights, 45 minutes each time before giving up. Finally I went very early in the morning and had to wait only 15 minutes. But it still took them two more days to fix the problem. I wouldn't sail Glory again. It was my first experience with a larger ship and I figure that has a lot to do with it. I would prefer to stay with Fantasy class ships but the kids want the bigger ship because it has more for the grandkids. All other cruises have been fabulous.

We didn't eat at the Fish and Chips restaurant. I kind of forgot about it actually. It is upstairs from the buffet.

I do have to say my kids LOVED the Circle C and had a great time and made friends with a lot of kids. So that was a big plus. Jessica from Peru was the director.

Also, we miss the sushi....we always seemed to miss the tasting bar.

Our last trip was 4 years ago on the Glory and with all the changes it just seemed so different this time around. We are not giving up on Carnival by any means, but I do hope they realize the cutbacks have an adverse effect on both employees and the customers.

Just a thought -if your last cruise seemed a "little off", perhaps, just maybe, it might be time to try a different or new cruise line.

I knew it was time for me when I had tried all the entrees in the MDR and I could predict what the CD was about to say.

After trying a few different lines, I can still appreciate Carnival, but the other cruiselines keep sailing "fresh" for me. I didn't know what I was missing until I expanded my outlook.

I like the AT menu. It's the same as the old without the table cloths, which I don't mind. And I love the sea day brunch.

In terms of the Glory, I loved the lay out of the comedy club . It was better than the Sunshine, Dream, or Breeze to me.

Edited by Hoosierpop

Just a thought -if your last cruise seemed a "little off", perhaps, just maybe, it might be time to try a different or new cruise line.

I knew it was time for me when I had tried all the entrees in the MDR and I could predict what the CD was about to say.

After trying a few different lines, I can still appreciate Carnival, but the other cruiselines keep sailing "fresh" for me. I didn't know what I was missing until I expanded my outlook.

I agree. I think we probably will look at other lines. I appreciate Carnival too. It will be a while before we cruise again though....

I love the sea day brunch and the American table menus. They are two reasons why I have switched more to Carnival than the other cruise lines I've sailed in the past.

The buffet for dinner has (at least since 2010) served a similar menu in the evenings to the MDR.

And sour cream has (at least since 2010) been served separately from the baked potato by a server coming around with it after the table has been served their entrees (and yes, 10 minutes sounds about right since they tend to deliver entrees to all of their tables and then come around with horseradish, au jus, sour cream, etc. afterwards).

Sorry OP that there was something "off" about your cruise. I had that on our last Royal cruise - nothing bad, but just not what I was expecting/hoping for.

We also just returned from the Glory as well on the March 5th sailing. For us the wait staff and room steward along with all other staff were outstanding as always. As far as the new menu there was not really much of a difference and I actually thought there were more choices than before and the food was excellent. I did not miss the table cloths like I thought I would it made no difference. I like how the bread and water are on the table although my water glass was kept full at all times and I did not have to fill it myself. I think it is all perspective and what you make of it personally. I do prefer the larger ships like the Dream but has nothing to do with staff just the way the ship is set up.

Let me introduce myself. I like American Table and Sea Day Brunch. SDB menu is identical to the one previous to the rollout of AT except it doesn't have the Punchliner references (Such as "Funniest French Toast"). The AT isn't that different from the old menu. A lot of the things are the same.

That being said, you are entitled to your opinion and I'm not arguing. Just thought I would be the first person you talked to that enjoys both and has been sailing Carnival regularly :D

I love the Glory and just finished my 7th cruise on her last month. Everyone has different experiences even on the same cruise, so things can be very subjective. I do understand about a cruise being "off". That's the way my most recent Conquest cruise was. I couldn't narrow it down to anything specific, either. The fact that I got food poisoning didn't help, but it was that way from the time we boarded. It wasn't bad, just not thrilling. That was the first time I couldn't wait to get home from a cruise.

Don't let one experience deter you from trying again. I'm glad I didn't.

I love the sea day brunch and the American table menus. They are two reasons why I have switched more to Carnival than the other cruise lines I've sailed in the past.

The buffet for dinner has (at least since 2010) served a similar menu in the evenings to the MDR.

And sour cream has (at least since 2010) been served separately from the baked potato by a server coming around with it after the table has been served their entrees (and yes, 10 minutes sounds about right since they tend to deliver entrees to all of their tables and then come around with horseradish, au jus, sour cream, etc. afterwards).

Sorry OP that there was something "off" about your cruise. I had that on our last Royal cruise - nothing bad, but just not what I was expecting/hoping for.

I too like the American Table and agree 100% than it is not that different than the old menu. Many dishes are the same but maybe not on the same menu as the other one. Some items are missing but there are new items added too.

I know a lot of people are upset about not having the tablecloth but it does not bother me. My tablemate on my last cruise was upset about the ships all eventually getting the AT because of no tableclothes. The Sunshine at the time of our sailing did not get AT yet. She asked me where I put my silverware because she would not put it on the table. I honestly could not remember what I did on the Glory or in restaurants back home where most do not have tableclothes. I just knew that I did not have concerns with no tablecloth. Then after I came home and ate at a restaurant with no tablecloth, I realized, I put my fork and knife on my entree plate or bread and butter plate so they were not on the table. I never lay my silverware down on the table, cloth or no cloth. This must have been what I did on the Glory. At home, I use placemats but once I have used my silverware, I never lay it down on the placemat.

We have been cruising for many years. On Carnival a lot but are also Platinum on Princess with a few on NCL and RCCL. Rather than thinking that Carnival and the other cruise lines are cutting back, we think of them as being changes. You lose some things but gain other things. Back in 1992, there were no Camp Carnivals. There were 2or 3 pinball machines and that was it for the kids. There were no entertainment hosts other than the CD. The dancers had to help with bingo. Not so many activities. Yes, over the years, there have been a lot of changes. Some for the better and some not.

Society has changed. The cruise lines have to go with the change in lifestyles and try to appeal to the new demographics. What they save in one area, they spend in others.

Also, you can go on the same ship and have a different experience each time. The crew change and the demographics of the passengers too.

We sail on the Glory in a few weeks, thanks for your review. I am probably the only adult on the planet that doesn't like the old or the new menus. I survive on pizza most days, but I thought the tablecloths were a nice touch.

Are the steel drums and live performers back on the lido yet?

I read the midnight buffet is coming back, did you have that?

We sailed the Glory on our Journey cruise out of San Juan. We thought it was the best cruise we ever had. The room steward was awesome as well the waitstaff and most of the crew. I guess it is what you make it though. I always enjoyed talking to the crew. The food in MDR was great. The music/bands on board was more geared toward the 50 and 60 somethings. We still had a lot of fun even though our port times were from 8 to 6 which didnt leave us much time for evening shows since most of them occured right in the middle of dinner time. Which could be my only complaint besides the fact they lock the basketball court area out at 5pm.

We also just returned from the Glory as well on the March 5th sailing. For us the wait staff and room steward along with all other staff were outstanding as always. As far as the new menu there was not really much of a difference and I actually thought there were more choices than before and the food was excellent. I did not miss the table cloths like I thought I would it made no difference. I like how the bread and water are on the table although my water glass was kept full at all times and I did not have to fill it myself. I think it is all perspective and what you make of it personally. I do prefer the larger ships like the Dream but has nothing to do with staff just the way the ship is set up.

As far as the table cloth thing goes, one group we saw in the MDR on our last night had a table cloth. I don't know if they brought it themselves or what. It didn't quite fit on the table properly. I should of asked...:)

Nice review except for the last line.

Eric is the equivalent of a human chain saw and needs to go.

This or next week is his last sailing on the Glory. Not sure if he's done or going to join a different ship at a later date. I had no problems with him!

Nice review except for the last line.

Eric is the equivalent of a human chain saw and needs to go.

I wasn't impressed with him. I mean he was just OK. Once you've sailed with Matt Mitchum, Eversen, and Mike Pack, your expectations become pretty high.

I will say that the crew do not like Eric. They much prefer Mike Pack and the way he treated them.

Edited by firemanbobswife

This or next week is his last sailing on the Glory. Not sure if he's done or going to join a different ship at a later date. I had no problems with him!

He mentioned that he was on vacation after this next cruise. He was ok. I had no issues on way or another with him.

Edited by Crus4US