RSSC Navigator Facelift

Zqueeze1

I discovered that there are photos or drawings of the Navigator's suites post dry dock if you click on MULTIMEDIA/DIGITAL BROCHURES and then select either the Exotics Collection or the Voyages to Explore brochure. Near the end of each brochure is a page showing pictures or drawing of the Navigator's suites.

The Penthouse Suites show two extra chairs plus a desk chair. The Concierge Suites have at least one extra chair plus a desk chair. The Deluxe Veranda Suites and the window suites only show a couch and a desk chair. The desk chair in those two categories seems to be a chair with a thick upholstered back and seat as compared to the simpler desk chairs in the higher category suites. Maybe Regent thinks the upholstered desk chair will make up for the lack of additional chairs. Personally, I think Regent could come up with better ways to differentiate their suites than removing chairs but I think we'll just have to wait for some photos from passengers before coming to a final conclusion on the dry dock changes.

The new brochure shows the suites nicely. Anyone notice that the Penthouse Suite which is exactly the same size as the Deluxe Veranda has 2 chairs plus the desk chair? Hope we can request one chair for our Deluxe suite while on longer cruises. I like the new colors and the rest of the refurbishment looks very nice.

Currently in a PH suite and no two chairs. Just the desk chair, couch and stool by the makeup desk.

I think that the color choices are certainly quite pleasant and serene. The photos depict a very open and spacious feel. The reality is that once these cabins are occupied with everbody's day to day stuff, the messy clutter effect may be very noticeable. We also like to stow everything away....this even makes it easier for staff cleaning cabins. It does seem like a subtle way to cut down on room service dining. I wish they would rethink the chair situation. The pay more/ get more option can't possibly include the use of chairs since they had been there previously.

When we went on our first cruise (not Regent), many years ago, we remember that one of the things that impressed us was the clever design of the ship cabins that made best use of all available space

The interior designers seemed to have thought very carefully about the traveller's needs and had organised the room to maximise available storage, shelf space etc to ensure the comfort and convenience of guests

When we moved to Regent we found the same thought and attention to detail had been applied to their suites

It seems a shame that Regent now appear to be employing interior designers who either have not got the relevant experience and/or are more interested in 'the look' rather than 'utility' i.e. style over substance is now the norm

Certainly the refurbished suites will look excellent in the glossy brochures that everyone so enjoys receiving every week :rolleyes:

Currently in a PH suite and no two chairs. Just the desk chair, couch and stool by the makeup desk.

Vitacura, if you get a decent signal it would be great if you could post a picture of your PH seating area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When we went on our first cruise (not Regent), many years ago, we remember that one of the things that impressed us was the clever design of the ship cabins that made best use of all available space

The interior designers seemed to have thought very carefully about the traveller's needs and had organised the room to maximise available storage, shelf space etc to ensure the comfort and convenience of guests

When we moved to Regent we found the same thought and attention to detail had been applied to their suites

It seems a shame that Regent now appear to be employing interior designers who either have not got the relevant experience and/or are more interested in 'the look' rather than 'utility' i.e. style over substance is now the norm

Certainly the refurbished suites will look excellent in the glossy brochures that everyone so enjoys receiving every week :rolleyes:

Our benchmark for good marine design is still the standard cabin on the Paul Gauguin. These cabins are small, significantly smaller than any other Regent cabins (the ship of course was managed by Regent for years.) But the marine designer who did them was a genius. I call them "tiny, perfect cabins"--a place for everything and everything in its place. Drawers, shelves and cupboards everywhere possible. I love those little cabins.

Why Regent would do this is beyond me--luckily our Mariner trip will take place before the refit.

Interesting that again, in today's mail, were three different Regent brochures, yet they won't post pictures of the new configurations.

We are extremely disappointed - it does look like they got rid of the chairs so that any type of room service meal would be much more difficult to eat in comfort. We utilized the two chairs each and every day. On our last cruise on the Mariner, there was only one chair in the room and the desk chair was really a vanity stool - it took three days, but I was able to get a chair with a proper back so that I could sit at the desk and work - it was one of the chairs from CR. The chair was much too big for the room, but I needed some type of back support. The lack of proper storage is a major problem - yes, some of us still read books, that is why there is a library on board.

I do not live in clutter in my home, why should I do so on a "luxury vacation". I can understand if one is in a hotel for a day or two, but this is our "hotel" for 30 days and whoever decided it was a good idea to remove chairs and storage has obviously never cruised for a long period of time.

We were so interested in the Northern Passages cruise in 2017 but this is a complete deal breaker - why would we pay a premium price for so many compromises. Unlike many of the passengers, I still work full time and have a business to operate, whether I am on vacation or not - without the comfort and ability to do so,we will be looking elsewhere.

gnomie :)

As I posted, we had no drawers in a Seven Seas suite (except in the closet) - no shelves either. We got used to it. Didn't love it but did not complain. Since there is nothing that we can do about it, we may as well accept it. For the future, the best thing to do is mention the lack of storage on our Comment Cards.

Since very few of us actually stay in a named suite, and the majority of us are in the "lower level" regular suites, this affects a large number of passengers. While it may not bother you, this is obviously of concern to many of the passengers and they have every right to post their dissatisfaction.

gnomie

Edited by gnomie1

Since very few of us actually stay in a named suite, and the majority of us are in the "lower level" regular suites, this affects a large number of passengers. While it may not bother you, this is obviously of concern to many of the passengers and they have every right to post their dissatisfaction.

gnomie

The suite size doesn't matter. The closet in the Seven Seas suite is smaller than any lower category suite. A lack of drawers is a lack of drawers - even if a suite were 3,000 sq. ft. Since we did have more floor space than lower category cabins, I suppose we could have laid our clothing out on the floor:rolleyes:

It will bother some and not bother others. Please refer me to the post where someone said not to post dissatisfaction as I cannot locate it.

I have made two points: 1) The most recently renovated Seven Seas Suite on the Mariner has less drawer/closet space than on any ship or suite that we have inhabited in our 313 days onboard Regent; and 2) While an extra chair can likely be obtained, the likelihood of Regent changing their plans at this point is, IMO, is slim and none.

Edited by Travelcat2

Flossie 009, I appreciate the way you expressed your thoughts about the redesign. You well described the issues without being negative. As Wendy mentioned a marine designer is a different concept from an interior designer.

We like being on a ship, not a floating hotel.

Since there is nothing that we can do about it, we may as well accept it. For the future, the best thing to do is mention the lack of storage on our Comment Cards.

With 6 months to go before Voyager's refurb and 10 months to Mariner's, IMO we should all make our opinions known to Regent by whatever means rather than just accept the present plans

We like being on a ship, not a floating hotel.

Very well put

Another thought concerning the people who designed the refurb is that now that Regent and Oceania are part of the NCLH family and with NCL having so many new ships being built, they may have a design team on staff in the Miami offices who normally design cabins/suites for the mostly 7 day NCL cruises and those people may not be familiar with the necessary designs for extended cruising and spending time in the cabins/suites.

Obviously cannot be sure just another possibility to the ones already posted as to where all the storage and in suite furniture went??

It would seem that a good amount of Navigator cruisers have expressed disappointment in the new design. I agree that it will be a comfort factor......especially on longer cruises. By the way, the first place I head to after boarding is the library and it has always been a really good library. I guess the cabinets are a done deal but why not reinstitute the chairs? Purely from a visual standpoint, it had much more of a bedroom and separate living room area feel . Will the advertising now reflect chairs vs. no chairs in the higher cabin category under an "amenities" list?

Ship had no satellite signal for us to use most of yesterday. Today we are back online. I was able to upload one pic of the couch/table. The earlier picture I posted had a picture of the chair just across from the table that can be turned around and used while dining in the suite.

After several days on board, I do like the new suite. Even on longer cruises, I think I can be perfectly happy with the current space and storage available for two people.

IMG_0199.jpg.de82de1056b2e2a81df0c5e5ceb655dc.jpg

The suite size doesn't matter. The closet in the Seven Seas suite is smaller than any lower category suite. A lack of drawers is a lack of drawers - even if a suite were 3,000 sq. ft. Since we did have more floor space than lower category cabins, I suppose we could have laid our clothing out on the floor:rolleyes:

It will bother some and not bother others. Please refer me to the post where someone said not to post dissatisfaction as I cannot locate it.

I have made two points: 1) The most recently renovated Seven Seas Suite on the Mariner has less drawer/closet space than on any ship or suite that we have inhabited in our 313 days onboard Regent; and 2) While an extra chair can likely be obtained, the likelihood of Regent changing their plans at this point is, IMO, is slim and none.

The suite/cabin size does matter. A much larger suite will absorb the extra clutter of items on the surface much more easily than smaller suites.

The Navigator is heading on a world cruise next year and an important feature for guests is the storage capacity in the suite. The glass sideboard was really great for all those bulky extras we need like chargers for camera,phone, iPad and travel adapters. I do like the look of the new suites, but will miss the storage and the extra chair too. Jean.

The suite/cabin size does matter. A much larger suite will absorb the extra clutter of items on the surface much more easily than smaller suites.

The Navigator is heading on a world cruise next year and an important feature for guests is the storage capacity in the suite. The glass sideboard was really great for all those bulky extras we need like chargers for camera,phone, iPad and travel adapters. I do like the look of the new suites, but will miss the storage and the extra chair too. Jean.

Please let us know how a large suite can "absorb the extra clutter". The suite I'm referring to had a VERY small closet, drawers half the depth of the "old" ones and no drawers in the living room area. Items that I would typically put in a drawer went into a suitcase that I stored under my bed.

Please let us know how a large suite can "absorb the extra clutter". The suite I'm referring to had a VERY small closet, drawers half the depth of the "old" ones and no drawers in the living room area. Items that I would typically put in a drawer went into a suitcase that I stored under my bed.

The Mariner suite has a separate bedroom? Also much roomier and would not feel as cluttered in the larger area. Not as much visible in the larger suite due to its layout.

I would not be interested in storing my stuff under a bed on a cruiseline of this caliber. One of the reasons that the Navigator (which is the ship being discussed) is so pleasant is because the standard cabins worked so well. We have always been super fans of this ship.

Unlike my aunt Anna's, I expect the Navigator's recent facelift to make her look brand new. She should be in Barcelona right now picking up pax for her first cruise since her refit in Marseilles. So, if you are boarding today, PLEASE take the time during your cruise to post some pics so we can all see her new look. I would sincerely appreciate it.

V/R

Z and TB

I was in Barcelona on the 13th April (departing on the Silver Wind) and saw the Regent ship. I know I took lots of photos (which unfortunately were into the sun) and a time lapse that will show it. I will take a look to see if theres anything decent I can post.

Actually, some posters are reinforcing my point. Refurbs. on upper suites a couple of years ago gave an indication of future redesigns. We did not like storing our battery chargers and other non-clothing items in our suitcase under the bed. Although the Seven Seas Suite has a bedroom (drawers in nightstands and tiny drawer at make-up desk), I could hardly spread these items around the bedroom in the hopes that it would look less cluttered. I prefer things be put away in drawers.

So, while I do not like some of the changes, it is not a deal-breaker for us. I made note of it and booked our next cruise. Everyone has things they like or dislike - for me it is included excursions and the "concierge level benefits". Suppose I can add lack of drawers to the list. The only thing that was almost a deal-breaker was the "concierge level benefits". We did not threaten to leave Regent - we left it (albeit for a short time). We have sailed on Silversea and things were not perfect there either. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I was in Barcelona on the 13th April (departing on the Silver Wind) and saw the Regent ship. I know I took lots of photos (which unfortunately were into the sun) and a time lapse that will show it. I will take a look to see if theres anything decent I can post.

Thank you so much for offering to post some pics!

Hello vitacura:)

Completely off topic, but could you please tell me if the vibration is still there?

Thank you!

Excellent question!!! Thanks.

EVERYONE ELSE: PLEASE, let's not turn any responses to this great question into another mudslinging fest. It really is a turn-off.

Z and TB