Tips in the Specialty restaurants?

The fee for specialty restaurants includes gratuity. Any additional tip is at your discretion. We have left $20 in the past when the service warranted it - we have also left zero additional when the service was less good.

As the gratuity is included in the restaurant fee, any additional is completely at your discretion. I prefer not to suggest an amount for that reason as IMO there is not a recommended amount when it is optional and as you see appropriate. Enjoy your dinner and recognize the service as you see fit.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

If you spent $70 on land...your tip would be $14...right? Well, out of the fee you pay to dine in a specialty, I would think AT LEAST 18% of that fee is the tip. And remember....if you order drinks, they are a separately tipped item...on the tab! No need to tip additionally on that part of your bill!

Honestly...you do not need to tip additionally...but if you want to, I would thing $5 pp is more than ample!

If you spent $70 on land...your tip would be $14...right? Well, out of the fee you pay to dine in a specialty, I would think AT LEAST 18% of that fee is the tip. And remember....if you order drinks, they are a separately tipped item...on the tab! No need to tip additionally on that part of your bill!

Honestly...you do not need to tip additionally...but if you want to, I would thing $5 pp is more than ample!

You have no idea how much of the specialty dining charge is gratuity.

I know you are against tipping extra, but why do you also tell others to either not tip extra or that extra tipping is not necessary. You always post the same things even if the poster asks about the amounts for extra tipping. He/she has already decided to tip extra and you tell them they don't have to.

$5 per person extra is far from being more than ample. I just don't get it. Additionally, you have no way of knowing how much of the fee to dine is the tip and I doubt that it is 18%, but just like you, I have no idea and don't talk just to talk.

$5 per person extra is far from being more than ample.

Is it?

Currently, dining & culinary services (who knows who that includes) is $8.30 pp per day. This includes 'behind the scenes people', as everyone likes to say. Previously, the MDR waiter and assistant used to split ~$6 pp per day. It was like $3.50 waiter, $2.50 asst. Someone can correct me.

So if you are tipping $5 pp per day in addition to specialty the dining fee, which gives a bit to the server as well, how is that not perfectly fine? People don't have to tip at all on top of the service fee. And most people are probably leaving their MTD/MDR tips in place, as well.

Giving $5 per person for one dinner is completely fine! I would go so far as to say, generous!

This tipping is getting out of control.

People who are leavingng $10 per person as a tip in specialty, and paying the specialty fee, and paying the MTD tips, are extremely generous.

Edited by marci22

Is it?

Currently, dining & culinary services (who knows who that includes) is $8.30 pp per day. This includes 'behind the scenes people', as everyone likes to say. Previously, the MDR waiter and assistant used to split ~$6 pp per day. It was like $3.50 waiter, $2.50 asst. Someone can correct me.

So if you are tipping $5 pp per day in addition to specialty the dining fee, which gives a bit to the server as well, how is that not perfectly fine? People don't have to tip at all on top of the service fee. And most people are probably leaving their MTD/MDR tips in place, as well.

Giving $5 per person for one dinner is completely fine! I would go so far as to say, generous!

People who are leavingng $10 per person as a tip in specialty, and paying the specialty fee, and paying the MTD tips, are extremely generous.

I agree.

We just dined at Chops..3 people and a few drinks. Our waiter was awesome. He made our dining experiance probably the best on the ship. We tipped him 32 dollars...32 being a weird number but I like myour total to me a even amount.

I am not saying $5 is not ok, I am saying it is not more than ample. My post was because the person I quoted posts info all the time about not tipping anything extra etc.

I don't care if you tip extra or not, but to tip $5 extra is being gracious, but stating it is more than ample doesn't work for me. I know everyone tips at their own amounts, but there are reasons others tip extra. I don't try to discourage anyone from not tipping more or tipping more.

She also used to post that the service charge is the tip, so not necessary to pay anything more. We all know that's not true. So much wrong info from her if you read her posts often. JMO.

Thanks for starting such a helpful thread -- the same question had confused me! For our upcoming cruise, I had budgeted $5pp for the specialty tip. I will probably tip more if the waiter is phenomenal (and I might not tip any if the service is awful, which I don't think happens often).

But if the OP is looking for a good starting number, it seems like $5pp is on the low/average end and $10pp is generous. The final number depends on your personal dining experience. Hope it's a great one!

You have no idea how much of the specialty dining charge is gratuity.

I would say the whole cost is a Gratuity as your food is already paid for in the cruise price. I know it is better food, but RCCI is also saving on the food you are not eating in the MDR or Windjammer.

I would say the whole cost is a Gratuity as your food is already paid for in the cruise price. I know it is better food, but RCCI is also saving on the food you are not eating in the MDR or Windjammer.

I have found that the quality of the ingredients is better in the specialty restaurants (you won't find filet mignon or tuna in the MDR), so there is an increased cost of the specialty restaurant food. I don't believe for a nanosecond that the crew get the entire amount, which is what would make it a gratuity.

As for the amount, I think that $5pp is generous, more than ample, whatever you want to call it, along with a mention of your server by name in the post-cruise survey.

There is absolutely no reason to tip in a specialty restaurant. You already tipped twice once in the total tip for the cruise and again in the 70 dollars for the specialty restaurant. If you still would like to tip more, just leave your wallet on the table and let the waiter take what he wants. That being said I may give 10 bucks for two if the waiter really makes an impression on me.

Edited by tomahawk246
add on