Why does everyone walk counter-clockwise on the promenade?

cavecreekguy

I am a fast walker and I just give a "passing on your right(or left)" and people have no problem moving over. I always thank them as I pass

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I always appreciate it when people do this, and I do it when passing too.

I also keep an eye out, glancing behind me every couple minutes, to see if someone is coming up quickly behind us. I think those who don't are the ones who look totally baffled, or even startled, when asked to make room for passers by.

I haven't seen the signs on a ship in awhile but I do remember them at some point. I really wish that everyone would do this. I like to get my excercise walking the deck and the people walking in the opposite direction seem to cause a hiccup in the flow. I usually pass everyone but I also keep my eyes and ears open for those who wish to pass. Those walking 2-3 abreast with no awareness of their surroundings can make things difficult.

I did not see any signs or arrows on the Statendam (RIP), Oosterdam, or Prinsendam, my last three HAL ships. I tend to walk early and since I also don't like to negotiate passing someone (often two abreast!) in the opposite direction, I will try to accommodate myself to going in the prevailing direction. But I think some arrows would be a good thing. Princess has them.

But in the final analysis you have some hundreds or thousands of people, each of whom has paid to be there, so all you can do is the best you can. Last year on the Eurodam, there were two of the crew, waiters I think, one still in partial uniform, who would walk two-abreast clockwise starting about 10 at night for well over an hour, although I said nothing then or on the survey, I wasn't too thrilled, because as the comments here have shown, the promenade deck is a facility with effectively a limited capacity. Sorry if that makes me elitist.

Edited by Wehwalt

Well, in the USA it seems like people (or at least adults) instinctively walk on the right side of a sidewalk, hallway, path, or the like, by default. On a ship, if you keep to the right while walking, and want to be by the rail and have an ocean view, you will end up walking counter-clockwise.

Walking clockwise while keeping to the right results in walking on the inboard side of the promenade, which is less scenic.

So, maybe the default behavior by passengers has something to do with a "drive/walk on the right side of the road" tendency coupled with a desire for an ocean view.

By the way, on some HAL ships, I seem to remember that the small signs that tell passengers how many laps to a mile also (at least sometimes) ask for people to walk counter-clockwise. The signs are small, and easy to miss.

Well, in the USA it seems like people (or at least adults) instinctively walk on the right side of a sidewalk, hallway, path, or the like, by default. On a ship, if you keep to the right while walking, and want to be by the rail and have an ocean view, you will end up walking counter-clockwise.

Walking clockwise while keeping to the right results in walking on the inboard side of the promenade, which is less scenic.

So, maybe the default behavior by passengers has something to do with a "drive/walk on the right side of the road" tendency coupled with a desire for an ocean view.

By the way, on some HAL ships, I seem to remember that the small signs that tell passengers how many laps to a mile also (at least sometimes) ask for people to walk counter-clockwise. The signs are small, and easy to miss.

I grew up in the US and then moved to Australia. I find myself here in Australia walking on the right because in my head I hear the principal of my high school telling us every morning to "Stay to the right in hallways and stairwells." I always feel an internal conflict between what I know is correct in Australia and the Sister's voice in my head. People watching me weaving along the sidewalk must surely think I'm either drunk or crazy or both. :D

But I think you may have it correct as to why the preferred direction is counterclockwise. I think being able to see the view and walk freely, without bumping into lounge chairs or opening doors, factors in as well. I know I prefer to be on the "outside" of the promenade deck when I walk to avoid potential hazards as much as possible. And to avoid the weaving I stay to the right on the deck as much as I can.

I didn't find the signs with lap/distance information unusually small, but they are rather hard to miss if you don't know where to look for them. As I remember there are only one or two at the very forward areas of the promenade deck, so if you're not looking there you will certainly miss them. And if there are signs other places, I certainly missed them!

Edited by ellieanne

I seem to recall seeing signs and/or arrows on more than one ship suggesting that pattern. In the Navy it is standard when going to General Quarters (when time is essential) the standard rule is moving forward and to upper decks on starboard and aft and to lower decks on port: having everyone following the same flow pattern expedites the process.

My experience on HAL is some ships have the directional arrows, some ships don't.

We always walk klockwise, just like one should visit a church( dont't ask me why, it's them priests at Boarding school who indoctrinated me :cool:, but a Buddhist temple should be visited anti-clockwise I believe)

And we will continue to do so. Call me a Rebel :p

Actually, this thread reminded me of that fact! 😀

I've wondered about this so thought I'd ask.

Maybe "everyone" doesn't walk counter-clockwise, but it seems like most everyone does. Especially the morning power walkers.

I've never seen any signs on the deck telling people which direction to go, nor have I seen any other mention of it.

LOL This has been debated for years on these boards..According to KK in post No. 31 on this thread, HAL has signs posted on the R & S class ships which direct Psgrs to walk counter-clockwise..

Another poster in Post 16 took a picture of one such sign, but could not identify on what ship the sign was on..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2102657&highlight=walk+counter+clockwise

Americans, Canadians & in many other countries they drive on the right, so I automatically turn left & walk on the outside of the ship next to the water, which is counter-clockwise..

Edited by serendipity1499

We always walk klockwise, just like one should visit a church( dont't ask me why, it's them priests at Boarding school who indoctrinated me :cool:, but a Buddhist temple should be visited anti-clockwise I believe)

And we will continue to do so. Call me a Rebel :p

Actually, this thread reminded me of that fact!

Yes, there is a superstition that if you walk around a church widdershins, you will be transported to Elfland or give the little people (or the devil) power over you. But it doesn't apply to Eastern faiths.

IT'S MY VACATION AND I'LL WALK WHERE EVER I WANT TO AND IN WHATEVER DIRECTION I CHOOSE. Now, what are the rules for the buffet line?

Bur they're irrelevant to you! :D:D:D

Edited by Wehwalt

LOL This has been debated for years on these boards..According to KK in post No. 31 on this thread, HAL has signs posted on the R & S class ships which direct Psgrs to walk counter-clockwise..

Another poster in Post 16 took a picture of one such sign, but could not identify on what ship the sign was on..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2102657&highlight=walk+counter+clockwise

Americans, Canadians & in many other countries they drive on the right, so I automatically turn left & walk on the outside of the ship next to the water, which is counter-clockwise..

I wasn't trying to start a "debate." I just didn't understand why it seems everyone (or most everyone) just "knows" to walk counter-clockwise. But I do know on this board that if someone says "the sky is blue" there will be someone who will argue otherwise.:rolleyes:

I was taught from elementary school on to walk on the right in hallways. And on the lower promenade deck, walking counter-clockwise, that would result in me being on the "outside," which is closest to the water and nicest to me.

I've seen the signs about how many laps equals a mile on the promenade deck, but I don't recall them having any arrows or instructions to walk counter-clockwise. At least not on the two ships where I was curious about this and specifically looking for such signage.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by cavecreekguy

A common thread and reason...."Just about every circular sport runs counterclockwise-horse racing, NASCAR, baseball. Why? Who knows? Though most believe it was probably an arbitrary decision and tradition that started with the chariot races at Rome's Circus Maximus stadium in the sixth century BC, experts in biomechanics think there also may be some coincidental physiological benefits. Most people are right-leg dominant, so they use their left leg more for support. When running counterclockwise, you'll take longer strides with your right leg-which allows for more propulsion and speed on the turns."

Bottom line on the HAL ships....from those of us who walk the Promenade....PLEASE do as the signs say.....walk counter clock wise!

I support this reasoning - both from athletic practices as well as physiological ones.

Does it really matter how the direction started? It matters more that it is the way people walk. When new cruisers head out for a walk, the observant ones notice the dominate direction and are courteous enough to follow suit.

Or they aren't.

I've seen the signs about how many laps equals a mile on the promenade deck, but I don't recall them having any arrows or instructions to walk counter-clockwise.
They don't always:

Eurodam:

behmkk.jpg

Maasdam:

30nkjyu.jpg

They don't always:

Eurodam:

behmkk.jpg

Maasdam:

30nkjyu.jpg

Thank you! I knew I wasn't just "not seeing" the direction on the signs. Especially since I was specifically looking for it. And one of the ships where I didn't see it was Maasdam.

Originally Posted by boze9999 View Post

A common thread and reason...."Just about every circular sport runs counterclockwise-horse racing, NASCAR, baseball. Why? Who knows? Though most believe it was probably an arbitrary decision and tradition that started with the chariot races at Rome's Circus Maximus stadium in the sixth century BC,

I can just see it. The day after the opening:

"Say, Cassius, I meant you to have the races run to the right"

"But I did!"

"No. The OTHER right".

So is history born.

IT'S MY VACATION AND I'LL WALK WHERE EVER I WANT TO AND IN WHATEVER DIRECTION I CHOOSE. Now, what are the rules for the buffet line?

It's obvious, isn't it? You're supposed to serpentine around the buffet.

My thoughts? It's a PROMENADE! According to Webster, "a place for strolling." Yes, I like to get exercise by walking there, especially in the early morning. But I also like to stand at the rail, and I like to run over to the other side of the ship to see if it has more whales or dolphins or seabirds. We're all on vacation, so I think we should all just enjoy greeting the people who are coming in the opposite direction, or slow down and politely ask the people in front of us to let us pass, or take the time to stop and see what those people on the rail are watching. These aren't time trials, and it's probably good for our joints to vary our speed anyway. Just my opinion. Enjoy your next cruise.

It's obvious, isn't it? You're supposed to serpentine around the buffet.

My thoughts? It's a PROMENADE! According to Webster, "a place for strolling." Yes, I like to get exercise by walking there, especially in the early morning. But I also like to stand at the rail, and I like to run over to the other side of the ship to see if it has more whales or dolphins or seabirds. We're all on vacation, so I think we should all just enjoy greeting the people who are coming in the opposite direction, or slow down and politely ask the people in front of us to let us pass, or take the time to stop and see what those people on the rail are watching. These aren't time trials, and it's probably good for our joints to vary our speed anyway. Just my opinion. Enjoy your next cruise.

Very well said. Totally agree.

South of the equator everyone walks clock-wise. :p

It's when you take one of those cruises that crosses the equator that you have problems. Everybody is walking every which way that day.

On the Amsterdam the sign with the arrows and message to walk that way are posted on the aft and stern of the ship. Perhaps you weren't observant enough to notice them or your ship lacked them.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Veendam had the sign aft in December. I believe it was new as I had not noticed it before and I'm a Deck Rat.

Skating rinks (public session) run counterclockwise, as does most traffic on Freestyle (but FS has different rules). (Stroking classes will reverse it for awhile for training purposes.)

Really?

I'm not a big auto race fan but I've seen Indianapolis, Daytona, Watkins Glen, and Waterford, CT -- they run counter clockwise. I'm curious about which tracks go clockwise.

Yes, really. Far too many to list, but here's just a sample of some of the better known ones:

Lime Rock Park, Connecticut

Atlanta Motorsport Park, Georgia

Willow Springs International Raceway, California

Watkins Glen International, New York

Virginia International Raceway, Virginia

Long Beach Street Circuit, California

Barber Motorsports Park, Alabama

Detroit Belle Isle Street Circuit, Michigan

Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Indiana

Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Ohio

Road America, Wisconsin

St. Petersburg Street Circuit, Florida

Sonoma Raceway, California

I don't know what race you've seen at Watkins Glen, but even NASCAR with its predominantly counter-clockwise ovals run clockwise at the Glen. Also at Sonoma. Waterford Hills, if this is the track you were referring to, is also run in a clockwise direction.

IndyCar racing for many means the Indy 500, run on a counter-clockwise oval. Were you aware that there is also a clockwise road track at the Speedway that hosts a clockwise IndyCar race. In fact 10 of 15 IndyCar races in 2016 will be held on clockwise tracks.

Edited by Fouremco