miracles do happen

Computer Nerd

i was participating in a different thread about the latest ncl 'bait and switch' policy change....yes, my choice of words.....where people cannot now bring soda on board anymore, supposedly for security reasons......but bottles of wine are secure....lol. :rolleyes: so, while i had not made my final payment yet, we were cruising with friends that we had talked into going on this ncl cruise so i felt trapped into going even though i'm fed up with ncl and didn't want to go. low and behold, was speaking with our friends today and they told me they had to cancel the cruise because their son who was travelling had a new job and couldn't take that much time off now. freedom. :D so i got home this afternoon, 9 days before final payment, and cancelled my ncl cruise. i feel so relieved that i don't have to deal with ncl's stupidity anymore and am now taking a nice land vacation for a fraction of the cost instead over the same time period. yea......:D

for anyone who wants to flame me for cancelling a cruise over soda, feel free and give it your best shot. the soda issue was simply the final straw that broke the camel's back. i have a laundry list of complaints about ncl and am just happy i don't have to deal with it anymore. for those of you who still love ncl i hope you enjoy your cruises but i'll be back on carnival, princess, rccl, and hal from now on. toodles. :)

I'm glad things worked out for you. There are many people who are frustrated with the direction NCL is headed. You are visible proof that people are voting with their wallets!

I hope you find a new, acceptable cruise home.

Brian

i was participating in a different thread about the latest ncl 'bait and switch' policy change....yes, my choice of words.....where people cannot now bring soda on board anymore, supposedly for security reasons......but bottles of wine are secure....lol. :rolleyes: so, while i had not made my final payment yet, we were cruising with friends that we had talked into going on this ncl cruise so i felt trapped into going even though i'm fed up with ncl and didn't want to go. low and behold, was speaking with our friends today and they told me they had to cancel the cruise because their son who was travelling had a new job and couldn't take that much time off now. freedom. :D so i got home this afternoon, 9 days before final payment, and cancelled my ncl cruise. i feel so relieved that i don't have to deal with ncl's stupidity anymore and am now taking a nice land vacation for a fraction of the cost instead over the same time period. yea......:D

for anyone who wants to flame me for cancelling a cruise over soda, feel free and give it your best shot. the soda issue was simply the final straw that broke the camel's back. i have a laundry list of complaints about ncl and am just happy i don't have to deal with it anymore. for those of you who still love ncl i hope you enjoy your cruises but i'll be back on carnival, princess, rccl, and hal from now on. toodles. :)

Good luck with your holidays away from NCL - great that 'someone' smiled upon you. I don't blame you for deciding enough is enough. I think it is a real pity that there tends to be a knee-jerk policy by companies, even those in customer service industries, to cut back on the things that make their customers feel good rather than look elsewhere for cost efficiency. Start on that slippery slope and customers, both past, current and future, start looking elsewhere...

I dont blame you a bit. I hope that you told someone at NCL why you decided to cancel. If not, take the time to send an email to Andy Stewart or some other executive.

The new CEO has made it perfectly clear he does not care if the loyal customers leave, that he wants a new client anyway. In my opinion if he thinks he is going to turn NCL into Oceana he is sadly mistaken. That said, if those that leave and go somewhere else actually send emails it might help the rest of the management make better decisions

Best of luck to you and happy sails when you do sail again

Edited by deladypilot

I also cancelled a cruise because I am fed up with this policy.

It isn't so much that I can't bring soda on board - it is that they are frickin' controlling what I can do on my own vacation, for no real reason (soda CANS are not a security risk).

Awesome that things worked out for you. You were destined not to enjoy yourself if you had gone on the cruise.

Just a heads up that the laundry list of complaints you have about NCL are being experienced by loyal cruisers on carnival, princess, rccl, and hal about their lines as well. They likely won't affect you, since you're going into those cruise lines without previous history or experience. Just as someone new to NCL doesn't have the baggage you do.

Have a great time on your land vacation!

It's the constant "drip drip drip" of changes that has me worried about booking anything more then just last minute, super deals where the low price will more than make up for anything they decide to change 2 weeks before my cruise.

I hope you enjoy your trip! We haven't cancelled anything, but we usually have several NCL cruises booked at the same time. Not saying we won't cruise, I still have Hawaii on the list for the near future, but for now we booked a high end all inclusive for next year. It is more money than the cruise would be, but everything is included. Not included "up to a certain price", but included regardless ;-) and we can have lobster every night if we choose ;) It's good to have choices!

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

I am glad you found a way to cancel your cruise on NCL. You were bound to have a horrible experience just because you were already anticipating one. My NCL cruise isn't until Sept 2017. I can't imagine any change they would make me feel the way you do. None of the changes made to date do and I am looking forward to this cruise very much. Especially with the great reviews the Escape has had recently. All the changes made by NCL recently has been very minor compared to some very major issues I have had in my life. None of the changes have impacted the things we enjoy in cruising. But I applaud you making the decision to go elsewhere when NCL no longer meets your needs. They don't always meet our needs for a vacation we are planning....sometimes they do.

What on earth could you possibly not be able to do at Disney World?

I'd love to know that as well. We practically live in the Magic Kingdom.

I suspect what they meant was ongoing customer-unfriendly changes and price increases at WDW. (You see plenty of people unhappy with this if you spend any time on the DIS boards. And park attendance is down this year.)

I almost cancelled a cruise this fall in favor of a short trip to WDW, but the resort prices blew my mind, now that fall is no longer 'off-season' (since there is no more off-season).

Edited by AdoraBelle

Have a great new vacation. I still do more land trips that cruises, and probably always will. You can only see a tiny fraction of the world from a cruise ship, and it's a big world out there. Our land trips usually cost more money than cruising, but so worth it. I have no issues currently with NCL, and no plans to change my next cruise plans, but I'll never fault anyone for wanting to do land trips, regardless of their reasons. I encourage it!

I'm all for miracles, don't get me wrong. But I'm going to save mine for when I'm falling from a hurricane-damaged zip line in Belize, or when I walk into an NCL bar and spot a variety of tasty beers on tap.

Using yours on a friend cancelling a cruise seems like a bit of a waste. :)

I suspect what they meant was ongoing customer-unfriendly changes and price increases at WDW. (You see plenty of people unhappy with this if you spend any time on the DIS boards. And park attendance is down this year.)

I almost cancelled a cruise this fall in favor of a short trip to WDW, but the resort prices blew my mind, now that fall is no longer 'off-season' (since there is no more off-season).

I agree that WDW prices have skyrocketed. We go every January, and it's a very noticeable difference. We used to go 3 times per year, and now we sometimes still go twice, but mostly just that January trip now. I haven't noticed any "customer unfriendly changes", and I don't mind the resort costs, which I think are very competitive, but the park fees are crazy.

Didn't Disney World have a lot of increase in the last year or so?

If I remember late last year, they raised the annual passes by 15% and then early this year raised the single day tickets by almost 20%. Then they added, what folks on here would call nickel and diming, when they charged 75% more for premium parking spaces and $149 if you wanted to enjoy the Magic Kingdom after it closes and $69 for before the park opens experiences. If those weren't enough, soft drinks were increased $2.99 to $3.29 (on a soda I can buy for $ .20) and bottled water went from $2.75 to $3.00 and then they raised kid friendly beverages, juices up 18% and milk up 35%.

Edited by NLH Arizona

lifeisallaboutthechoicesyoumake