How to quiet the negativity of your fellow cruisers?

tallyho8

Anyone who has cruised a few times knows that if you are with other people who gripe and complain about everything the whole cruise, that it can ruin the cruise or at least dampen your spirits a little while cruising.

A cruise is my vacation and I refuse to let any little thing ruin it for me. I try to stay as upbeat as possible and just let the little things slide. I believe that if I had been on the Titanic that I would have been the most cheerful person there.

Many times on a cruise your tablemates or others in your party will start complaining about some minor incident, such as the waiter forgot to refill their water glass and then others chime in about their many complaints also and soon it sounds like you are on the cruise to hell.

Have you any polite way to tell these people to stop their complaints so that you can enjoy your vacation and instead to find the positive aspects of their cruise to expound upon?

I find that extra rum usually does the trick! That and changing tables, no sense wasting your vacation with a bunch of Debbie downers, there are plenty of happy (or drunk or both) cruisers... If they are your family... Bruh, you stuck with them, sorry :-(

If the downers are your randomly selected table mates you could always ask to change tables, or if they are people you planned to travel with limit your time with them. A private balcony room is great for that lol

Unfortunately when people are paying thousands for a cruise, it's almost human nature to harp on the things that went wrong. When spending thousands you hope for everything to be perfect.

Sometimes it is effective to allow someone to complain, listen and then just not say anything at all. Continue looking at the person without replying for a bit... It forces them to think back on what they just said! Try it!

Anyone who has cruised a few times knows that if you are with other people who gripe and complain about everything the whole cruise, that it can ruin the cruise or at least dampen your spirits a little while cruising.

A cruise is my vacation and I refuse to let any little thing ruin it for me. I try to stay as upbeat as possible and just let the little things slide. I believe that if I had been on the Titanic that I would have been the most cheerful person there.

Many times on a cruise your tablemates or others in your party will start complaining about some minor incident, such as the waiter forgot to refill their water glass and then others chime in about their many complaints also and soon it sounds like you are on the cruise to hell.

Have you any polite way to tell these people to stop their complaints so that you can enjoy your vacation and instead to find the positive aspects of their cruise to expound upon?

Treat them just like a little child who is throwing a temper tantrum (since basically that is what they are anyway), ignore them...

Complaining is part of their cruising make-up! Before they even board they are waiting to get in front of Guest Services and let loose their complaints. It makes them happy! It's also a game to get a free bottle of wine, a free specialty dinner, some OBC, whatever, they will spend up to 20% of their cruise complaining. These folks also will remove tips from their on board accounts because now, in their minds, nobody deserves tips. When they leave the ship they will leave happy because it was a great

cruise experience for them. That's how and why they go cruising!

For our cruise on the Glory a few years ago, she developed thrust problems heading into Nassau. Carnival changed our itinerary because of it. We went to Freeport instead of St. Thomas. We shared a van coming back from the beach and there were about four or five people that kept saying that they were going to sue Carnival for missing a port they wanted to see. After listening to them them for long enough I said that if they had read their contracts, they would have known that Carnival can change the itinerary any time they feel it is necessary and that if they did sue, the only one that would make any money was their lawyers. The rest of the ride was silent.

A good performance is very dependent on its audience to be successful. No audience and the show gets cancelled. When you're stuck as an audience member for a performance by a constant dissenter leave 'the theater' for a better show.

Want to fan the flames? Every time you see that person politely smile and move along. Great fun.

Hummm - you started a thread to complain about the fact that when others complain it is wrong. Figure that one out ??

Generally it is easy to ignore gripers. But, if they out-number you at an assigned table, it is best to ask to be reassigned. If there are just two at a large table, often asking them a simple question: "Would you rather be at home?" is enough to make them re-think, or at least shut up. It might be necessary to ask that question a second time- but that really should do it.

That and changing tables, no sense wasting your vacation with a bunch of Debbie downers, there are plenty of happy (or drunk or both) cruisers... If they are your family... Bruh, you stuck with them, sorry :-(

I did just the opposite back in the days before anytime dining. Night 1, we were seated with a couple who were prolific complainers. Plus they were cruise braggarts, which made them even more annoying. When they got around to asking what I do for a living, I told them I was on parole after a long prison term and that my doctor recommend a cruise to treat my violent tendencies.

I thought my wife was going to kill me but it worked. They requested a table change. :D

We have friends that we would love to cruise with because we really think we would have a good time together. I'm reluctant to initiate the cruise idea in fear that they may not be cruising people like we are. I understand that there are people out there unlike us who just don't enjoy it. I would hate to encourage someone to take and pay for a vacation they don't enjoy.

I did just the opposite back in the days before anytime dining. Night 1, we were seated with a couple who were prolific complainers. Plus they were cruise braggarts, which made them even more annoying. When they got around to asking what I do for a living, I told them I was on parole after a long prison term and that my doctor recommend a cruise to treat my violent tendencies.

I thought my wife was going to kill me but it worked. They requested a table change. :D

I love this, I'm going to have to remember this one!:D

Tell the waiter it's their birthday, anniversary, bamitzvah, quinciñera... Whatever it takes to get them to bring them a slice of cake and sing. Who can be angry with cake sitting in front of them? Have a Happy 'having a bad day' cake day!

Best post!:D

I agree, some people can grumble till the cows come home! You have been on several cruises /roll calls with me......you know what/what people I am talking about!!!!!!!!;)