Over-the-door organizers?

me-shel

I always see people talk about using over-the-door hangers to keep things organized. Does anyone have any examples (links) of what specific kinds you like to use?

They seem to get a love it/leave it reaction, but we're about to have 4 people in a cabin for the first time (all female!) and I feel like on this one we can use all the help we can get - especially in the bathroom!!

please be aware

Over-the-door shoe holders, long used in cabins by cruisers to organize everything from toiletries to jewelry, can still be used aboard Carnival Cruise Line ships -- but with stipulations. Line representative Vance Gulliksen says, "they may only be used if they are a fire retardant material and do not damage the door," adding that they must also be hung on the inside of the cabin, rather than facing out into the hallway.

please be aware

Over-the-door shoe holders, long used in cabins by cruisers to organize everything from toiletries to jewelry, can still be used aboard Carnival Cruise Line ships -- but with stipulations. Line representative Vance Gulliksen says, "they may only be used if they are a fire retardant material and do not damage the door," adding that they must also be hung on the inside of the cabin, rather than facing out into the hallway.

Well, they cover everything don't they. Here I was picturing walking down the hallway viewing several peoples toiletries hanging on the doors.

On my recent 21 day High Arctic cruise I brought this along for my friend and I to share. It was perfect for glove liners, hats, charging cords, and the shared OTC meds and first aid stuff we brought along.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/studio-3b-spinning-closet-organizer/3266794

No formal anything on this trip, so we didn't need the long hanging space. Our cabin had a separate short closet for parkas and shoes, and drawers for our other clothes.

We used an over the door shoe organizer last week on our Carnival cruise. It had 24 clear pockets that made it easy to see everything. We hung it on the outside of one of the closet doors. It was the first time we'd ever used one on a cruise and we commented all week about how we wished we'd had it on all our cruises.

We always have never used one. We find that there is enough storage in the bathroom. We have shelves above and shelves below the counter. There are plenty of drawers throughout the cabin. Even with kids we have found lots of room.

I will say on our next cruise we are taking our four grandkids. I plan on using an organizer for the bathroom. It is a little wicker basket with four sections. That will keep their toothbrush, combs, deodorant, hair clips etc organized. This is not for lack of room but to make them feel they have their own space.

I took an organizer once and never used it. I just couldn't figure out what the heck people put in it. My cruise card and single dollars goes on the table near the door along with sunglasses. Otherwise I have a nightstand for my personal stuff.

I usually get a mini suite. Having been in my brother's cabin I realized I forgot how small an inside was, that there was almost zero storage in the bathroom and with four in the room there wasn't a lot of space. So, for an smaller cabin, yes I can see it being useful.

Well it's just my husband and I and there is very little counter and shelf space for toiletries....curl iron....makeup and all the such. I do not want all that stuff cluttering the counter.

Hang ours on the inside of bathroom door with command hooks which remove very easily with NO damage or residue. No clutter and the bathroom can be cleaned easily w/o cabin attendant fussing with our products.

Got ours from goodwill for $3 .

please be aware

Who would be so ignorant to hang the such on the door facing the hallway......REALLY?!:rolleyes:

Some people think that they are the greatest thing ever along with the other 1000 items on the many must have lists on CC. We have never found any use for over the door organizers or 998 of the 1000 items on the must take lists.

Whatever floats your boat.

DON

We use one with clear pockets so you can see what is there. Amazon has one for $7.00.

Yup...we use the same. They take up little space, and I find them to be super useful. BUT I would suggest the one with the see-through plastic...for me, it's useless if I can't quickly scan the pockets for what I need. Small investment for under $10. With 4 ladies in a cabin, could be a lifesaver! :o)

Enjoy the cruise!!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=394382&stc=1&d=1474003347

Capture.jpg.8f250c862b98f6c64d793fdae28d9ced.jpg

Edited by widallas
typo and addition

For any cruise or resort stay longer than a week, I always use our OTD shoe organizer. I hate clutter with a passion, and this gives me a place to store our stuff, and also allows DH to easily find what he's looking for ( sparing me having to respond to his endless "where did you put the ........?."). For 4 ladies in one cabin, it will be invaluable.

Hi,

My husband and I always use our over-the-door organizer on the outside of the bathroom door. It is actually called a shoe organizer, as each mesh pocket would fit a pair of shoes. We use it to keep sunscreen, camera, memory cards, pens, sunglasses, medication, hairbrush, Ipod or MP3, books, hair clips, etc. I really find it the most handy thing, as it helps to keep the room more organized. We also have one pocket for receipts that we accumulate. Good luck!

Wow, four people in a cabin. You're definitely going to need a bathroom scheduler.

;)

You might also might want to consider electrical socket availability for recharging:

• Mobile phones.
  • Digital cameras.
  • PCs.
  • Tablets.
  • E Readers.
  • E Cigarettes

Some people think that they are the greatest thing ever along with the other 1000 items on the many must have lists on CC. We have never found any use for over the door organizers or 998 of the 1000 items on the must take lists.

Whatever floats your boat.

DON

Same for us. The less to pack the better. I have looked at some of those packing lists and i think, how will there be space left in the cabin for people?!:p

Wow, four people in a cabin. You're definitely going to need a bathroom scheduler.

;)

You might also might want to consider electrical socket availability for recharging:

•  
  • Mobile phones.

• Digital cameras.

• PCs.

• Tablets.

• E Readers.

• E Cigarettes

We bring a cheap extension cord with three outlets. We also bring an adapter for the 220v outlet.

Leave the surge protector at home, they're a fire hazard. They route like a lightening rod to the ground. The ship isn't grounded like a land based structure.