Add Late-Returning Passengers to the Annoying List

Just did B2B on Allure, returning 9/11. On 3 port departures (which adds up to 50% over the 2 weeks), we were significantly delayed by folks missing or just ignoring the All-Aboard time limits.

While I have compassion for problems with excursion groups, I think the number of other late returners is becomimg a problem. For example in Nassau I watched well over 100 people arrive late. Many where nowhere yet on the wharf at the time they should already have been onboard.

Am I right that the line might incur additional costs for late departures and/or subsequent late arrivals? Wouldn't the ship incur higher fuel costs if they have to hurry to meet their next arrival window?

Wondering if RCI should start leaving folks behind or developing ways for the late returners to share in any additional costs. Opinions?

Just did B2B on Allure, returning 9/11. On 3 port departures (which adds up to 50% over the 2 weeks), we were significantly delayed by folks missing or just ignoring the All-Aboard time limits.

While I have compassion for problems with excursion groups, I think the number of other late returners is becomimg a problem. For example in Nassau I watched well over 100 people arrive late. Many where nowhere yet on the wharf at the time they should already have been onboard.

Am I right that the line might incur additional costs for late departures and/or subsequent late arrivals? Wouldn't the ship incur higher fuel costs if they have to hurry to meet their next arrival window?

Wondering if RCI should start leaving folks behind or developing ways for the late returners to share in any additional costs. Opinions?

How many were on excursions booked through RCI?

Want to hiss off a customer and start getting a bad rep. Let a bunch of customers pay YOU for an excursion and then leave them with the thumb in their rear on the dock watching the ship sail away because YOUR contractor did not get everyone back to the ship on time...for whatever reason.

Not to mention the expense RCI would incur to get all of them to the next port.

Questions: Did you miss any port? If not, what difference did it make?

Edited by TC1957

How many were on excursions booked through RCI?

Want to hiss off a customer and start getting a bad rep. Let a bunch of customers pay YOU for an excursion and then leave them with the thumb in their rear on the dock watching the ship sail away because YOUR contractor did not get everyone back to the ship on time...for whatever reason.

Not to mention the expense RCI would incur to get all of them to the next port.

Questions: Did you miss any fport? If not, what difference did it make?

My thoughts as well.

I'm not sure the line gets any significant costs, so long as it's not a long period of time that they're late going. Seems like, unless there is some significant event (like a bus-load of ship-excursion people), we leave within 30 minutes of the time, whether the latecomers are there or not. So long as it doesn't impact the time getting to the new port, it doesn't really bother me.

Now, people late getting back on the bus during a stop on an excursion, that definitely annoys me. Because it just means less time at the next stop during the excursion.

How were you able to tell who was with a ship sponsored excursion and who wasn't? I don't understand the bolded statement above.

I really have no issues with latecomers as long as we still make it to our next port on schedule. Stuff happens. We left Cozumel very later this past May due to an excursion bus that had a flat tire on the way back from Tulum. The last ferry back waited for those people so hundreds were late getting back to the ship.

If there are over 100 people getting to the ship late, it sounds like an excursion ran over. I've seen stragglers running down the pier to get to the ship on time, but not more than about 8-10.

On cruises where excursions have run late, they aren't calling all those names either. I know (from being on one that ran late - others told us upon return) and some where I've been aboard, they have made an announcement that there was a late excursion and were waiting (the one I was on that was late ran close to an hour late - but it was several hundred of us - 6 or 7 bus loads). :eek:

Another reason I take sponsored excursions unless I'm staying quite close to the port (within walking distance). I'm nervous like that. :D

I think the "pier runners" are great entertainment. Especially in Cozumel. I could not care less if the ship is sailing or in port, as long as we arrive in our next port on time. Leaving 15 minutes after schedule makes zero difference.

It's the only reason to cruise to some ports.

Aruba is interesting because the car rental lot is right across from where we dock. Checking your car in, then running to the ship is great entertainment.

Never thought an hour or so departure would impact an arrival.

Sorry about a late departure! :confused:

It wouldn't bother me unless it made us miss another port. I don't pay much attention to when we're leaving, but if I notice that we are leaving I'll likely go outside to watch. Sometimes we attend sail away parties if there is one scheduled (not so common any more) and we don't really care if we're a few minutes late leaving.

Now if we had to skip a port because we got behind that would be a different level of annoying.

Tom

My thoughts as well.

OP like many others is just making an observation about what annoys then. Inconsiderate people annoy me as well but as you pointed out, If I dont miss my port I dont care

Just dont think poster should have to justify sharing an opinion even if it not shared

Edited by shdixon

News flash - RCI will leave your butt behind. Last Liberty sailing, 9/11/16, first port was Roatan. All aboard was at 4:30, departure at 5:00. A group of ship's officers stood on the pier by the gangway at 4:30 looking out at the port entry. A passenger couple was paged. At 4:55 or so officers came onboard and the gangway was pulled in. Lines were released, and we pulled away at 5:00 sharp. 5:05 we were several hundred yards off and building speed and I see a couple wander up to the port agent and point out at the ship. Pretty sure they missed their ride home. I know sometimes people have hired pilot boats to take them out, but I don't think that happened here. Ship kept on sailing. A few staff made comments about it that evening, but it seemed they were not really supposed to discuss it much.

It may have been more strict because this was Honduras, but I can only speculate on that. Not sure what the final outcome was with the couple.

News flash - RCI will leave your butt behind. Last Liberty sailing, 9/11/16, first port was Roatan. All aboard was at 4:30, departure at 5:00. A group of ship's officers stood on the pier by the gangway at 4:30 looking out at the port entry. A passenger couple was paged. At 4:55 or so officers came onboard and the gangway was pulled in. Lines were released, and we pulled away at 5:00 sharp. 5:05 we were several hundred yards off and building speed and I see a couple wander up to the port agent and point out at the ship. Pretty sure they missed their ride home. I know sometimes people have hired pilot boats to take them out, but I don't think that happened here. Ship kept on sailing. A few staff made comments about it that evening, but it seemed they were not really supposed to discuss it much.

It may have been more strict because this was Honduras, but I can only speculate on that. Not sure what the final outcome was with the couple.

On Allure last November someone asked the Captain about pax missing the ship. He said it happens at least once a month.

On Allure last November someone asked the Captain about pax missing the ship. He said it happens at least once a month.

I actually thought it would be higher than that, seems every port people are being paged just before sailaway.

Bing Bong doesn't work 100% of the time. This has never bothered us at all. On all our cruises this has never enen been a mild annoyance. It has always struck us as an unfortunate sitaution and we feel for the ship's staff weho I am sure are holdigngates open as longs as possible and for and the individuals who are being called and nhoping that they are indeed on board.

It's like being in the airport and hearing the names called more than once for final boarding. We root for them and hope they make it.

It's the only reason to cruise to some ports.

Aruba is interesting because the car rental lot is right across from where we dock. Checking your car in, then running to the ship is great entertainment.

Never thought an hour or so departure would impact an arrival.

Sorry about a late departure! :confused:

We have had a similar situation in Aruba too....Ship was late just over an hour leaving...heard from the concierge it was only one passenger..a female that had evidently planned on leaving the ship there..her cabin was empty and it showed on video she had taken her carryon with her...officials had to be notified and her info given...that it's common in particular at the Aruba port...and they follow policy each time it happens...so leaving there late isn't uncommon.

At a Captain's Talk one time, the Captain was asked about leaving behind passengers at ports. His reply was something like "oh, I've never left anyone behind. Sometimes passengers choose not to continue their cruise with us, that's up to them".

On cruises where excursions have run late, they aren't calling all those names either. I know (from being on one that ran late - others told us upon return) and some where I've been aboard, they have made an announcement that there was a late excursion and were waiting (the one I was on that was late ran close to an hour late - but it was several hundred of us - 6 or 7 bus loads). :eek:

Another reason I take sponsored excursions unless I'm staying quite close to the port (within walking distance). I'm nervous like that. :D

We were on ship excursion and had issue and arrived back in port about hour and half late.....to cheers of all on port side of ship who were waving from their balconies. The assistant Guest Relations manager was on our bus.

I agree in not waiting for stragglers who are not on ship excursions. You are warned before you leave the ship and told when to be back.

They may be inconsiderate but boy howdy, are they fun to watch running down the pier to get to the ship. Especially like the Cozumel Runners.:D:D:D

AKA "The Running of the Drunks" Extra points if they are still wearing their balloon hats.

We are going to Coz for the first time (I think International Pier). Now we have something else to look forward to; Pier Runners. I like watching the late arrivals hurrying; most are not athletic in build. I often yell down, "Watch Sale on Board - $10".