Do You Get Your Hair Cut/Styled Onboard?

AncientWanderer

Another thread made me think of this. I thought it would be fun to share experiences.

I always get a haircut onboard. It seems like everywhere we travel internationally, the ladies are better "coifed," so I trust the training of the stylists onboard, who have been trained around the world. I've had many haircuts and have always been very pleased with the results.

Do any of you have any onboard hairstyling experiences you'd like to share?

:confused::eek::)

I don't think I would ever get my hair cut or coloured on a ship. Wash and style, yes I have and it was okay, not perfect. I prefer to get my hair cut by my own hairdresser at home before the cruise. The same with highlights. I know I'll get what I want, since my stylist has been doing my hair for years. Stylists on board, who I'm sure are quite qualified, have no idea of my "style". I would be upset to spend the duration of my cruise with a cut I didn't like.

However, I'm sure lots of ladies do it and are quite satisfied with the results. I believe that it is much more expensive for these services on the ship, but to some I'm sure it's worth it. Just too unpredictable for me.

This is something that I've often wondered about when I read of people taking long cruises. The longest cruise we've been on so far is thirty days, so it hasn't arisen, but when you have a short hairdo that needs to be trimmed every five weeks or so, the question starts to loom large quite soon after that! Our next cruise will be forty-nine days, so I'm debating whether to brave the unknown of a new hairstylist or to just live with the feeling of being all shaggy and unkempt for a couple of weeks! [emoji3] Time will tell!

I'd love to hear how others have fared and what their experiences have been with onboard hairstylists.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DH has gotten his hair cut and been happy with the results.

I had to last time as the cruise was too lengthy along with our pre-cruise stay to let my hair "go". I asked the hairdresser to just trim where necessary and follow the hairdresser's lines. She did as asked and it certainly did the trick until I could return to my own hairdresser at home.

Don't forget - the tip is included in the bill,normally. You can certainly add more if you want, but check the bill before you tip ;)

My last cruise was 90 days; I had my hair cut and colored 3 times, including completely changing the color. My short hair grows extremely fast, so I don't worry about living with a bad cut because it will grow out in 3 weeks, and I will never see most of the people on board again anyway. I am on a cruise to have new experiences; in fact, I think it is fun to get out of my comfort zone by telling the stylist to do whatever he/she wants to do.

This is something that I've often wondered about when I read of people taking long cruises. The longest cruise we've been on so far is thirty days, so it hasn't arisen, but when you have a short hairdo that needs to be trimmed every five weeks or so, the question starts to loom large quite soon after that! Our next cruise will be forty-nine days, so I'm debating whether to brave the unknown of a new hairstylist or to just live with the feeling of being all shaggy and unkempt for a couple of weeks! [emoji3] Time will tell!

I'd love to hear how others have fared and what their experiences have been with onboard hairstylists.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can remember on my Veendam cruise treating myself to a wash and blow-dry for the first formal night...I absolutely loved the way the stylist did my hair, so much so that I booked an appointment with her again for the second formal night!

When we cruised on the Westerdam, I again booked a wash and blow-dry for formal night. I had my hair colored before leaving, but the cut was not by my regular stylist; she was ill. It was OK, but not the best. When I sat in the chair on the Westerdam, Francis very politely asked me if I was happy with the cut...I said not really, as it wasn't my usual. He offered to 'fix' it up a bit, and recommended Keratin because of the type of hair I had. I had time, it was reasonably priced compared to home salons, so I went for it. He did a MARVELOUS job, and again I returned to him later in the week for the second formal night.

Since getting home, I now have keratin treatments regularly and my stylist said the pricing on the ship was definitely competitive.

I've had such good experiences that I now consider just letting the salon on board wash and style my hair to avoid the hassle of doing it myself.

I've not had my hair cut onboard but I have in port. The stylist did a good job and it was cheaper than it would have been onboard. We were wandering around the city and saw the beauty shop sign so we stopped in. Didn't take more than a half hour of my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I often get highlightings done and once a trim - all very well done. One pedicure however not worth the price. No hard-selling. Prices for high-lighting were very competitive with costs at home.

Edited by OlsSalt

I did once get my hair cut on board a ship. It was a crazy period and there just hadn't been any time at home, so I really needed a hair cut.

It was not good. And I think that my accent must have been misheard because I was also provided with an earcut.

So I haven't done this again.

One formal (gala now) night every cruise I get a professional up-do and generally a manicure (and pedicure just because) so we can have pictures done in our fancy threads. It is rather luxurious but I do so enjoy it and I have had several excellent stylists and manicurists. :)

I have had haircuts aboard on three different occassions. I have worn my hair short for many many years. The first one, aboard the Eurodam was outstanding, the second one, aboard the Rotterdam was good. The third time my hair looked nice while onboard and was easy for me to handle but it grew out looking terrible.

Four week after the haircut onboard I went to my regular stylist and she had to spend almost an hour to get my hairstyle looking good without handfuls of much longer hair falling over short hair in the back.

Once, I decided before we even boarded for the cruise that I was going to have my hair colored and foiled, just to see how people from other counties do it.

First, my appointment was with a man, which was fine and after he got into it, he did not foil like I was use to. Instead he just put it in places where he thought the lighter color should go with his fingers. Thought that was a little odd, but it really turned out great. A little pricey, but I was expecting that. I'd do it again if needed.

As a gentleman who needed a hair-cut during long cruises, I have been very satisfied with my experiences in the ships' Salon. It was more expensive than what my barber charges, but not exorbitant.

kazu, thanks for the tip about the gratuity being included. I am not sure I realized that and I do think I gave the ladies an additional amount.

Mr Chew has had several haircuts during long cruises ... Charlotte on the Amsterdam in 2012 gave him The Best haircut he has ever had. But he has been happy with them all.

I am trying to decide if I want to have my highlights done (ie, cover the grey roots) on my next long cruise (coming up soon!). I'll go to my regular stylist a few days before we leave but I'll be gone so long I'll need touching up.

Funny that this came up now. I've been on 28 and 30 day cruises but did not need a haircut or color during that length cruise. However, I have a 49 day cruise planned and will need something done with my very short hair. I have come up with another option. Am in the process of purchasing a wig in the color and style that I normally wear. Once the gray starts to show, I will be able to "pop on" the wig.

Just curious, how much do they charge for a shampoo and blow dry ? I think I wld be a bit apprehensive having my streaks done by a colourist I didn't know. ��

I paid around $35 for a shampoo, blow dry and a cut. She reduced the charge for the cut as I only wanted a tad done.

DH pays around $18 for a shampoo and cut. Hope this helps :)

When needed, I try to get haircuts off the ship in order to experience the local culture. The most fun was in eastern Guatemala in the middle of terrific rain shower. Others have been a silent affair because I didn't speak the local language. But it's still been fun to seek these out. I think the cheapest haircut was around $10US.

I paid around $35 for a shampoo, blow dry and a cut. She reduced the charge for the cut as I only wanted a tad done.

DH pays around $18 for a shampoo and cut. Hope this helps :)

Many thx. Kazu, May treat myself. We sail in just over a weeks time. I sld imagin you wld have to phone and book as soon as your on board ??

I have short hair and always schedule an appointment at my hairdresser at home a few days before I leave for a cruise. So no need to use ships coiffeur.

But I am a little bit picky with haircuts and I visit the same hairdresser since 15 or more years and she is a prof... she has a degree as master coiffeur . So when I visit her salon it is relaxation because there is no need to check every cut she takes. I close my eyes and just enjoy....

Many thx. Kazu, May treat myself. We sail in just over a weeks time. I sld imagin you wld have to phone and book as soon as your on board ??

Its a wonderful treat for vacation for sure. I always head to the salon just after boarding to make my appointments. This ensures that I get the times that I want. My husband an I always do late dining, so I'll arrange to have my hair done around 5pm on formal nights which allows at least an hour (in case they are running behind). Then I have time to dress for pre-dinner drinks.

As a gentleman who needed a hair-cut during long cruises, I have been very satisfied with my experiences in the ships' Salon. It was more expensive than what my barber charges, but not exorbitant.

I have had similar experiences and will get my hair cut on an upcoming cruise. But what the heck, I have survived bad haircuts at home and would survive a bad haircut at sea and have one more thing to talk about.

DW's hair was cut into a new style years ago on a cruise. I really liked it, don't think she liked it as much as I did.