New Sign & Sail card delivery system??

John F

Based on what I've read there isn't that much of a security risk. Your picture is still matched with your account. You are just using your boarding pass as a means to pay for your purchases. Anybody swiping a sign and sail card and fraudulently using it won't get too far.

Iirc when you use a sign and sail card the crew member just swipes it like a credit card. Thus the biggest issue will be slower service the firs day because every purchase is manually processed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also people will threaten I'll never sail Carnival again IF, how many times have we seen that over and over. A LOT but we and Carnival know it's not more than hot air and bravado for 99.9% of them. People always freak out when anything changes, puff their chest out and threaten to take their toys and sail another line and when the find out it was no big deal from other cruisers they get right back on the ship. I doubt if Carnival is putting much stock in the blustering going on JHs board, they will see how it plays out on the actual ships, that's where the real info will come from.

Good points here.

Carnival is working on designing new ships that will carry over 5200 passengers. Obviously, like RCI did with Oasis Class, Carnival needs to start planning how they will efficiently load and unload so many people within a few hours. If they think this method speeds up the boarding process, now is exactly the time to start testing it so they get all the kinks worked out before those ships arrive.

Mark my words, like with most changes, people will be skeptical of it now, but think it's great...or think nothing of it...a few years from now.

Edited by Aquahound

Now everyone take a deep breath, relax and let's see where we are at: The new system is terrible. The new system is OK. You can't get drinks. Not to worry, you can get drinks. Your card will be stolen. No it won't. This system is being used on other cruise lines. So what? Boarding timing will be delayed. It is expected to decrease boarding time. And what about John Heard. Yah, what about him? Cruisers will be going to their cabins before 1:30 pm. I'm Platinum so I don't care. They use your passport for pictures. But I don't have a passport? Then get one! On and on it goes. I can hardly wait for page 20 and 50,000 more replies.

I think I am going to add this topic to the monthly topic list like PROHIBIT SMOKING ON CRUISE SHIPS AND SHOULD WE BUY CRUISE INSURANCE.

Oh well, I am booked for my 20th Carnival cruise on the Conquest in February. That should tell you some thing. I am hoping that this crises will be over by then. Some how, some way I am going to board the ship. Please Carnival ................... Please Carnival .............. Let me aboard!

JH has a facebook video about this

Several interesting things about this video. First, there was a statement read which says that during the 3 tests run on the Splendor, boarding started at 12:30pm and cabins are ready at 1:30pm. Priority "guests" will board first and then the rest will follow based on the card numbers they were assigned.

It also said that all you will have to do to "buy" something before you have your card is give your name and cabin number. The waiters will then check that on the computer and verify that it is you before they bring your order.

All of this is done to speed up the boarding process, and this was evident on the 3 Splendor test. Yet nothing was said about how much faster. It seems to me that removing the photographers from the boarding lineup would speed up boarding a lot faster than removing the hand out of S&S cards while you are standing in front of the check in person ever would, but that is just me.

My real feeling is that there really is not a test period to see if this is a good idea. Rather it is a shakeout of a process that will be rolled out on every ship as quickly as possible. If that is the case, don't bother asking me any questions about the process. Just tell us when it will be implemented and we will have to adapt to it, like it or not.

I saw John's video too. He said you can buy food and drinks prior to getting your card with name and cabin number, but he did not mention anything about buying shore excursions. We usually get on the ship and stop at the shore excursion desk. Before anyone asks why don't you buy them ahead of time it is because I usually always have alot of obc, from being a stock holder and my carnival mastercard obc. So why should i pay for it ahead of time when I can use my obc.

Based on what I've read there isn't that much of a security risk. Your picture is still matched with your account. You are just using your boarding pass as a means to pay for your purchases. Anybody swiping a sign and sail card and fraudulently using it won't get too far.

Iirc when you use a sign and sail card the crew member just swipes it like a credit card. Thus the biggest issue will be slower service the firs day because every purchase is manually processed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Except they don't always swipe it. In fact, most times we have ordered, they just write the folio number down - they don't take our card with them. Maybe somebody knows - when the enter the folio number into the register, does your picture come up?

I have always wondered why when you check in that they didn't have separate lines by the alphabet. That way, they could have the cards lets say for A-D behind the first check in person. E-G for the second, etc. That way it would eliminate the person having to go back to the middle of the check in stations to find the card like they do now.

They don't print them out as people check in? We've never been on Carnival but on Disney and RCI the person checking you in prints the cards. If you need a replacement during the cruise the person at guest services prints it out on the spot.

They don't print them out as people check in? We've never been on Carnival but on Disney and RCI the person checking you in prints the cards. If you need a replacement during the cruise the person at guest services prints it out on the spot.

They are already printed out. The person checking you in goes and finds yours.

Edited by d12j28

Several interesting things about this video. First, there was a statement read which says that during the 3 tests run on the Splendor, boarding started at 12:30pm and cabins are ready at 1:30pm. Priority "guests" will board first and then the rest will follow based on the card numbers they were assigned.

It also said that all you will have to do to "buy" something before you have your card is give your name and cabin number. The waiters will then check that on the computer and verify that it is you before they bring your order.

All of this is done to speed up the boarding process, and this was evident on the 3 Splendor test. Yet nothing was said about how much faster. It seems to me that removing the photographers from the boarding lineup would speed up boarding a lot faster than removing the hand out of S&S cards while you are standing in front of the check in person ever would, but that is just me.

My real feeling is that there really is not a test period to see if this is a good idea. Rather it is a shakeout of a process that will be rolled out on every ship as quickly as possible. If that is the case, don't bother asking me any questions about the process. Just tell us when it will be implemented and we will have to adapt to it, like it or not.

I listened to that portion of the video twice and did not hear him mention boarding based on a card number assigned (after Diamond, Platinum and FTTF). Did I just miss the part about a card number?

Edited by joepeka

Can someone post the facebook video? Not on fb, and need a good laugh today!!:D

You don't have to be a FB member to see his page - his FB account is public:

https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald

You'll see some annoying partial screen blocks bugging you to join FB but if you scroll down a bit on his first page, you'll see a post with a video from about 2 hours ago.

Let's do it the Disney way. About ten days before your cruise you receive your RF id bracelet in the mail. Take it with you. scan it as you board the vessel and you are on board and ready to go.

The bracelet could be linked to a photo (passport or any other) that is on file, and if there is no photo then one would be taken at boarding.

The same bracelet would be good for all on board purchases, as well granting access to you cabin.

I listened to that portion of the video twice and did not hear him mention boarding based on a card number assigned (after Diamond, Platinum and FTTF). Did I just miss the part about a card number?

Those who are not priority get a card with a boarding sequence number on it. You board when that number is called. It is a process that has been used for years.

And, if your cards are not in the mailbox, you have to lug all of your stuff down to Guest Services and stand in line to get a new card. You cannot leave the rest of your roommates and their stuff up by the room because the guest services people will have to see them in order to verify who they are before they are able to replace the cards that did not show up. And remember how swift the atrium elevators are on embarkation days.

I don't see this happening any more often than receiving a non working card under the current process, which hasn't happened to me once yet. While mistakes can occur, I just don't believe that it will be notable.

Let's do it the Disney way. About ten days before your cruise you receive your RF id bracelet in the mail. Take it with you. scan it as you board the vessel and you are on board and ready to go.

The bracelet could be linked to a photo (passport or any other) that is on file, and if there is no photo then one would be taken at boarding.

The same bracelet would be good for all on board purchases, as well granting access to you cabin.

I have been to Disney exactly once ( this year actually) and I don't plan to be back , BUT I love the idea of doing cruises this way. I am sure there are people on both sides, but I for one would love this.

Edited by Athankfulheart

[/u][/b]

That sounds like a good way to stop people from trying to go to their cabin before they are allowed to do so. I wonder how they will handle allowing Diamond/Platinum, etc. access to their cabins without showing their S&S card.

Diamond, Platinum & Suite guest's boarding passes have a red "Priority" stamped on them. FTTF has the FTTF logo on it ... they are very visible on the pass. :)

It's passing the buck is what it is. They don't do it at check-in now so someone else has to do it...and at the expense of change, training, uproar from customers, etc.

Personally I don't like the change. I like my picture getting taken in my ugly Hawaii'n shirt, handing each of the kids their cards, getting "dinged" onto the ship and grabbing a drink right away!

Where is that LIKE button when I need it?! :D

Those who are not priority get a card with a boarding sequence number on it. You board when that number is called. It is a process that has been used for years.

Apologize for the ignorance but we've been in suites on CCL for a long time and I guess we weren't aware of the boarding sequence cards. How does that play with the staggered boarding times that are rolling out? :confused: It also makes me wonder if this new check-in and key process is successful and implemented fleet-wide, will staggered boarding be eliminated?

Edited by joepeka