What I learned on the Reflection

Music Cruiser

1. The string duet at the Bacio was wonderful.

2. Cabin stewards have been reduced to one per cabin.

3. Bar wait staff get no salary. They split the tips from each cruise.

4. The Production Shows have not gotten any better.

5. Live House music is an endangered species.

6. DJ electronic noise is on the rise.

7. The service staff on the ship work very long hours, always have a smile and a pleasant attitude and deserve every penny they make.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you please explain comment #2 ? Have they eliminated the steward assistant?

Yes, our steward told us that Celebrity did away with the assistant about 3 months ago. Of course someone is always there to respond to requests, but there is only one steward per cabin.

We were on the Reflection in August. Our steward told us this was the first trip without an assistant. He was very positive about the change. He had fewer rooms and felt he was more accountable for the results. In the prior shared model, he said if you worked with someone not as good or reliable your success (tips) would be impacted or you worked harder to make up. He was terrific, and found the time to do many little extras for us that we didn't expect or ask for.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have been mis-informed. (or, you asked the wrong person!)..Bar staff IS paid a salary...the tips are split, as they are in ANY bar that has self-service. I don't know about the cabin attendants..but I know they take care of more than 1 cabin.......

Just do the included tips, and everyone who should be tipped, will be tipped. So easy.

You have been mis-informed. (or, you asked the wrong person!)..Bar staff IS paid a salary...the tips are split, as they are in ANY bar that has self-service. I don't know about the cabin attendants..but I know they take care of more than 1 cabin.......

Just do the included tips, and everyone who should be tipped, will be tipped. So easy.

We were told by our cabin steward on the Silhouette last month that he was responsible for 25 cabins when he had an assistant but now 14 on his own.

As I understand the daily gratuities go to restaurant and housekeeping staff but not the bar staff who get their tips from the 18% gratuity on drink packages and drinks.

I am pretty sure that this is in addition to their basic salary.

We had the best service from our cabin steward on the Reflection TA that we have had any X cruise. It was just him, no assistant, he had 14 cabins and loved the change, as we did.

Bar staff shares tips but they also get a salary.

We were told by our cabin steward on the Silhouette last month that he was responsible for 25 cabins when he had an assistant but now 14 on his own.

As I understand the daily gratuities go to restaurant and housekeeping staff but not the bar staff who get their tips from the 18% gratuity on drink packages and drinks.

I am pretty sure that this is in addition to their basic salary.

Actually the full gratuity on drink packages (or upgrades) goes directly to the person who sells it to you, hence why there is so much pushing to sell packages or upgrades on the first few days.

We recently returned from a B2B, the first leg of which was a Transatlantic. We decided to buy a package once we were about to embark on the 7 sea days and when our regular bar tenders/servers found out there was fierce competition (but friendly :) ) to sell the package to us as the fact that they get the full 18% is a significant sum to them.

The 18% on drinks sold at any bar are shared between the crew working on that bar.

Edited by Bobal

And pre sold packages either as online sales or with a reservation perk have the package gratuity split between all servers

Bar servers do themselves no favours spinning the I'm only paid the tips line to try and reel you in to tip better, actually it's lying. I have no issue though with the friendly rivalry Bobal mentioned so long as it does not get out of hand and so long as any "no thank you" is respected

Actually the full gratuity on drink packages (or upgrades) goes directly to the person who sells it to you, hence why there is so much pushing to sell packages or upgrades on the first few days.

We recently returned from a B2B, the first leg of which was a Transatlantic. We decided to buy a package once we were about to embark on the 7 sea days and when our regular bar tenders/servers found out there was fierce competition (but friendly :) ) to sell the package to us as the fact that they get the full 18% is a significant sum to them.

The 18% on drinks sold at any bar are shared between the crew working on that bar.

It is logical that they get some kind of compensation/consideration for selling a drink package or upgrade. But the whole 18% on a drink,package seems like a lot. One would like to think that the person serving you a drink with a package is sharing in the gratuity in some way.

Did the bar tender actually tell you that they personally receive the 18% for signing you up for the package? Perhaps they get a portion or some other consideration?

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks

It is logical that they get some kind of compensation/consideration for selling a drink package or upgrade. But the whole 18% on a drink,package seems like a lot. One would like to think that the person serving you a drink with a package is sharing in the gratuity in some way.

Did the bar tender actually tell you that they personally receive the 18% for signing you up for the package? Perhaps they get a portion or some other consideration?

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks

Yes, they told us they got the full 18%. We actually asked the question as they were all so keen to sell it to us. The bartender in question actually made a point of being at a certain bar on the day we had planned to sign up because she said the 18% would all go to her.

We were on a B2B - and a number of other bartenders were aware of this and asked if we would be buying a package on the second leg and, if so, could they sell it to us as they would get the full 18%. We actually had the package included on our second leg but did upgrade with our favourite bartender (not the first one as she went home at the end of our 1st leg).

I have no reason to doubt that they get the full amount if they sell it or upgrade it - as at least 10 crew members told us this. AND there was NO pressure once we said 'no we've promised it to ........... '

Yes, they told us they got the full 18%. We actually asked the question as they were all so keen to sell it to us. The bartender in question actually made a point of being at a certain bar on the day we had planned to sign up because she said the 18% would all go to her.

We were on a B2B - and a number of other bartenders were aware of this and asked if we would be buying a package on the second leg and, if so, could they sell it to us as they would get the full 18%. We actually had the package included on our second leg but did upgrade with our favourite bartender (not the first one as she went home at the end of our 1st leg).

I have no reason to doubt that they get the full amount if they sell it or upgrade it - as at least 10 crew members told us this. AND there was NO pressure once we said 'no we've promised it to ........... '

I have no reason not to believe this. We had the Classic package twice and upgraded to the Premium and were told the 18% goes to the person who got you to upgrade. That's why there is such a heavy push once you board the ship to either sell you a package or get you to upgrade.

I had read before we cruised ( and this was our first Celebrity) that the person who sells you the package/upgrade receives the 18%.

I asked a bar tender on the first day and he said that it was shared.

We were only approached by one other bar tender about the upgrade.

I have no reason to doubt what you say and many others agree with you but it does seem unfair. That one person may never serve you again and all the other servers are deprived of their gratuities.

I have no reason to doubt what you say and many others agree with you but it does seem unfair. That one person may never serve you again and all the other servers are deprived of their gratuities.

To upgrade on a 7-day cruise is only $1.80 a day X 7 = $12.60. That's really not a whole lot.

Because I know the upgrade gratuity goes to that one person, I can pick & choose who I want to upgrade with -- Your dining room Sommelier would be a great pick.

To upgrade on a 7-day cruise is only $1.80 a day X 7 = $12.60. That's really not a whole lot.

Because I know the upgrade gratuity goes to that one person, I can pick & choose who I want to upgrade with -- Your dining room Sommelier would be a great pick.

Yes, for an upgrade it isn't a lot but for a package it would be.

The upgrade is not a big deal, but the total drink package would be a bigger deal. I never thought much about it.

I find the approach interesting. I trust Celebrity has a process to make sure that the people who serve you a drink share in the gratuity.

I had read before we cruised ( and this was our first Celebrity) that the person who sells you the package/upgrade receives the 18%.

I asked a bar tender on the first day and he said that it was shared.

We were only approached by one other bar tender about the upgrade.

It makes no sense that the entire 18% go to the seller. That leaves the bartenders with nothing except salary and the % they have to share from those that have no package. I believe they get a big commission for selling the package, but perhaps this is in addition to the % that is split. Also, I have no clue as to whether the shared tips are based on actual drinks poured/served or a % of the package sale price only.

I suspect the servers know part of the story, that directly affects them, but not necessarily the whole story.

It is possible that the 18% goes to the seller of the package or upgrade and the servers still get an 18% tip for every drink that is served. The 18% that the seller of the package gets could be considered a "bonus" and not actually a tip. Alcohol is cheap and the cruiseline wouldn't sell the package if there wasn't a lot of money to be made and there needs to be an incentive for the bartenders to sell the package.

Source of information?

7. The service staff on the ship work very long hours, always have a smile and a pleasant attitude and deserve every penny they make.

2. Yes, the stateroom staff are being reduced from two to one. When there were two, they were responsible for 20 to 25 staterooms depending on size. Now that there will be one, they will be responsible for 10 to 13 each.

The stateroom staff are happy about the change. There will be less congestion in the stateroom when cleaning. The assistant stewards will be promoted to steward with an increase in salary. Each steward will be more inclined to do a super job on each stateroom since they alone will be responsible for that room. They will get more of the share of gratuities and cash tips per stateroom since they will not have to share. I think this is a positive change.

3. The bar staff is paid a base salary (by law) and they get tips on top of that.

5. We have found that there has been no reduction in live music aboard the Infinity and Solstice in the last 6 months.

6. Piped music is played primarily around the pools not over the intercom like on some other cruise lines.

7. On our voyage on Solstice last September we ran into an American staff member (with a recent college degree) who was working in The Oveanview Cafe. He was very happy working for Celebrity. He said by regulations of International Maritime Law, the staff work a maximum of either 55 or 60 hours (can't remember which) per week. He said some days he may work 7 hours and some days 12 but never more than the maximum allowed by law per week. He said all the staff are aware of what the rules are and therefore no one is taken advantage of. He said he usually gets a change of venue on each leg of a voyage and so every day is is a new challenge and it never gets boring. He said his dorm mate was a Serbian guy and they are best friends. He said he has made friends with crew members from all over the world and he has open invitations to visit and stay with them when he has a break in his contract. He said that 80% of the passengers are wonderful to interact with - happy, joking, grateful, and supportive.

His plans for the future are open right now. He said he has been able to save about $5000 so far in the first four months of his contract. He took this relatively low paying job to see the world and meet people from different cultures and that has worked beyond his expectations. But now, after this positive experience, he is seriously thinking of making his career in the cruise industry at the management level.

You posted nothing new.