Azamara Headed to Cuba !

Andy

Hi marinaro44,

We will obtain the Cuba visa for guests...for a fee. Right now it stands at $75 per person, which includes procurement and processing fees.

Bonnie, that is very disappointing to us, particularly as when we booked this cruise we were looking forward to visiting the Mayan temple at Uxmal from Progresso, and now we find we have to pay for a visa and presumably land discoveries in Cuba as it appears we are not allowed to book our own there as we are subject to the US rules despite being British citizens who are allowed to visit Cuba unrestricted like many other nationalities that will be on the ship.

We had also made arrangements with another couple on our cruise to visit Bellingrath Gardens from Mobile, and now we are going to Tampa for which which we cannot understand the logic as the ship arrives in New Orleans on the original schedule.

I am sure there are many people looking forward to visiting Cuba, but we would have preferred only missing Cozumel and having a day in Cuba on the way back to Miami.

Disgruntled of U.K.

Edited by Azamarajunkie

Bonnie, that is very disappointing to us, particularly as when we booked this cruise we were looking forward to visiting the Mayan temple at Uxmal from Progresso, and now we find we have to pay for a visa and presumably land discoveries in Cuba as it appears we are not allowed to book our own there as we are subject to the US rules despite being British citizens who are allowed to visit Cuba unrestricted like many other nationalities that will be on the ship.

We had also made arrangements with another couple on our cruise to visit Bellingrath Gardens from Mobile, and now we are going to Tampa for which which we cannot understand the logic as the ship arrives in New Orleans on the original schedule.

I am sure there are many people looking forward to visiting Cuba, but we would have preferred only missing Cozumel and having a day in Cuba on the way back to Miami.

Disgruntled of U.K.

I'm sorry you're unhappy with the change in itinerary, azamarajunkie.

The itinerary planners must take many variables into account, but their aim is always to please the most possible.

Disgruntled of U.K.

Well said. I agree with all of the above. I am also very disappointed to find that our travel agent has no knowledge of the revised itinerary as of today.

Whilst Cuba has its own appeal, those of us travelling long haul have booked this cruise for the destinations advertised for our own reasons and may not visit this area again to catch up with ports missed due to an itinerary change.

On our last Azamara cruise we had a stop in Vietnam cancelled, will we ever get to see it now when we have so many parts of the world to see. Our confidence in booking with Azamara is starting to wane, we never seem to end up with the cruise we have booked and paid for.

Interesting to note that this announcement has come when we have all paid the final balance! We now find that we have to pay additional fees for a visa for a port we haven't booked plus shore excursions. Why would a British citizen choose to visit Cuba via the USA when we have free access with a much cheaper visa to travel direct?

I'm sorry you're unhappy with the change in itinerary, azamarajunkie.

The itinerary planners must take many variables into account, but their aim is always to please the most possible.

How can you please people who have booked an itinerary by changing it? This change appears to be an incentive to fill the empty cabins.

The Cuban visa only costs £15. $75 seems a bit extreme...

Seems like Oceania are charging their passengers $125 pp. Now that is a rip off....and why are any of the cruiselines charging non US passengers? As Brits, we can travel to Cuba without restriction, so why do we have to pay the same as the Americans?

I would certainly be toning down the hype for these cruises in the UK as the experience is way to restricted for U.K. Guests who will have seen friends photos based on previous holidays to Cuba and will be expecting the same unrestricted experience.

I would certainly be toning down the hype for these cruises in the UK as the experience is way too restricted for U.K. Guests who will have seen friends photos based on previous holidays to Cuba and will be expecting the same unrestricted experience.

I was interested, as I also have New Orleans on my bucket list, but do object to paying more for a visa.

I thought the 'tourist card' would be issued via the passport information.

Not even Russia charges at that rate, provided you have an organised tour booked with a government approved agency, the visa is included.

Edited by upwarduk

Hi marinaro44,

We will obtain the Cuba visa for guests...for a fee. Right now it stands at $75 per person, which includes procurement and processing fees.

Due to the unexpected change of itinary I feel that Azamara should stand the cost of the visa. Their price is a rip off.

We are very upset with Azamara at this late change only put in place after we have paid the balance. It puts us off travelling with them in the future. As the change is so major we should have been given the opportunity to cancel.

We spent two weeks travelling around Cuba a few years ago and really loved it but the tours showing at present just repeat what we have already done.

We should be allowed to go ashore on our own.

This thread has been an eye-opener. I had no idea that UK citizens would not be treated as such when travelling on an American cruise ship. We spent 10 nights in Cuba this May and paid only £15 for a visa.

Those visiting Cuba for the first time will love it, hopefully. However, much of the original Cuba is already disappearing. My first visits were in the 1980s and the differences were amazing: Havana now has cocktail bars, restaurants and plush hotels, with more being built. The USA-influence is already having an effect; our small tour group was bumped from the Havana hotel due to the Kardashians staying there, and some smaller UK tour operators have recently ditched Cuba as a destination because American tour companies are gazumping their bookings. So, go quickly! It will never be the same again.

Rd

I would certainly be toning down the hype for these cruises in the UK as the experience is way to restricted for U.K. Guests who will have seen friends photos based on previous holidays to Cuba and will be expecting the same unrestricted experience.

We had considered this cruise before the changes but not anymore.

Far better ways to see Cuba if we want to.

Edited by Bloodaxe

We had been considered this cruise before the changes but not anymore.

Far better ways to see Cuba if we want to.

So had we. We do not want to have a Land Discoveries experience of the type that it would be. You can be sure the operators will be pumping messages to America throughout it all. We would want to see real even if it is changing Cuba as our friends have. I do feel sorry for those who booked the previous itinerary and are now having a less accessible alternative and additional costs

So had we. We do not want to have a Land Discoveries experience of the type that it would be. You can be sure the operators will be pumping messages to America throughout it all. We would want to see real even if it is changing Cuba as our friends have. I do feel sorry for those who booked the previous itinerary and are now having a less accessible alternative and additional costs

Totally agree with both your comments uktog ...I had posted the question regarding Cdn's travel to Cuba on Azamara as we too are not restricted to Cuban travel. Like another poster I thought travel and visa requirements would be based on our citizenship and passports !!

I have absolutely no desire to visit a port of call where I am not able to freely get off the boat and roam around at my own discretion. I don't want to be forced to participate in person to person cultural and educational exchanges. I also don't want to jump through the hoops required with filling out all of the extra paper work required to try to convince the government that I am anything more than just a tourist that wants go on vacation. The cruise companies are falling all over themselves to try to force Cuba down our throats and I just don't get it. I won't be going on any cruise that ports in Cuba. I'm just not interested.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I have absolutely no desire to visit a port of call where I am not able to freely get off the boat and roam around at my own discretion. I don't want to be forced to participate in person to person cultural and educational exchanges. I also don't want to jump through the hoops required with filling out all of the extra paper work required to try to convince the government that I am anything more than just a tourist that wants go on vacation. The cruise companies are falling all over themselves to try to force Cuba down our throats and I just don't get it. I won't be going on any cruise that ports in Cuba. I'm just not interested.

Nor am I. Seems some of the Brits that posted on here had a great time roaming around Cuba for as long as two weeks. I've heard another story. A friend of mine (we're both Americans from Southern California), who is a fantastic photographer (but not affiliated with a news service or anything, amateur), recently went to Cuba for several days. She rented a car and had pretty free reign to go where she wanted. She left Cuba much earlier than she'd planned...said it was just VERY depressing and sad, most of the buildings and infrastructure haven't been fixed, upgraded,or repaired since Castro took power in early 60's, with the exception of a few hotels, everything's crumbling-- and the Cuban people are very unhappy (Clearly people aren't happy if they're trying to make the 60 miles or so at sea in a heap of a "boat" to escape to Miami). And she's been all over Africa, trekking to see the gorillas, just everywhere, so she's not a total luxury princess. After three days in Cuba, she couldn't wait to get out of there and left early. That said, I am just passing on one opinion from a globe-trotting friend. I hope AZ plans wonderful excursions for all of you and you all have a great time in Cuba-- one to one and a half days there will probably be just fine and super interesting! But, I agree with those of you upset about the port changes--- you book a voyage, because you want to go to those places, so substitutions are unwelcome (unless it is last minute due to weather and safety concerns).

Edited by pvkatmom
typos

I'm with you. Ok, the culture and beauty of St Petersburg is one thing, but Cuba? I don't really get it.

I'm with you. Ok, the culture and beauty of St Petersburg is one thing, but Cuba? I don't really get it.

I get it Phil, there's a natural want to go and see something that's been forbidden for so long. Unfortunately it's only been forbidden to a section of Azamara's customers, there does appear to be a lot of bandwagon jumping amongst the cruise lines to capitalise on this market.

There's bound to be a split here between those who have Cuba on their must see list and those who have been able to visit and chose not to, we are in the latter group.

We don't have a Caribbean cruise booked with Azamara until December 2018 but if the itinerary was changed to Cuba and the current entry restrictions applied we would cancel even if it meant losing our deposit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We don't have a Caribbean cruise booked with Azamara until December 2018 but if the itinerary was changed to Cuba and the current entry restrictions applied we would cancel even if it meant losing our deposit.

I probably wouldn't cancel because often for me the ship is the destination. I'd probably stay on unless I really wanted to see something. Hype is the word though and an opportunity to show lots of pictures of old American cars on their advertising. Sorry, I need my positive shot this morning!:o

I get it Phil, there's a natural want to go and see something that's been forbidden for so long. Unfortunately it's only been forbidden to a section of Azamara's customers, there does appear to be a lot of bandwagon jumping amongst the cruise lines to capitalise on this market.

There's bound to be a split here between those who have Cuba on their must see list and those who have been able to visit and chose not to, we are in the latter group.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good points that I'm certain many will agree with. We have a somewhat different viewpoint to reflect the split you refer to.

Not only has Cuba been the "forbidden fruit" since the 1960's, it also has payed an ongoing and one might argue outsized role in American politics, perhaps beginning with the Spanish Civil War (1898) and, more noteworthy recently, with the Cuban Missile Crisis. This role is augmented by geographical proximity and by a large population of exiles in the political "battleground" state of Florida. As a cutural symbol it even plays a role in The Godfather II.

Thus, I don't think that the opening of the island for cruises is a minor event, especially in the eyes of Americans, and the "hype" surrounding it is probably warranted, especially in that market. In fact, it may be that the incoming U.S. President may "renegotiate" the new relationship (there is concern about political prisoners) and quickly close this window.

For us, of course, it is no big deal. I can still remember the anger south of the border when Canada "normalized" travel to, and relations with, Cuba. For some Canadians that relationship even became part of the distinguishing elements that separated us from the U.S.A. You can see that "Cuba" represents a lot of symbolism on this side of the Atlantic!

If a cruise involved one or two days in Cuba we might participate, as generally most Canadians don't venture far from the resorts. At least it would be a very different atmosphere than other Caribbean ports. I would hope there are special land excursions that would take advantage of Cuba's fascinating culture. It is this culture that, I think, many will find interesting once they have looked beyond the now rather decrepit buildings, infrastructure and automobiles.

And we all can hope that these policy changes eventually lead to positive changes for the residents of the island.

As an American I can wait to go. My grands abd my parents went now I can go. I am also doing a land tour in Jan. The large suites abs club suites are selling a. Both soa sipuites are gone. So no one cancel yet. Tampa not a seller to me but I have family there so I hope to see them.

As long as Brits or Canadians go on an American ship you follow the rules. Else just book a holiday there.

As an American I can wait to go. My grands abd my parents went now I can go. I am also doing a land tour in Jan. The large suites abs club suites are selling a. Both soa sipuites are gone. So no one cancel yet. Tampa not a seller to me but I have family there so I hope to see them.

As long as Brits or Canadians go on an American ship you follow the rules. Else just book a holiday there.

I think you are missing the point. Cuba is being forced on us whether we like it or not, and if we did want to visit we can find a better way to do so with more freedom. We didn't sign up for this when we booked and paid for this cruise.

It's rather difficult to understand the first half of your message but I think we all get the drift of the last bit!!

I'm also an American, and as I've already said I just can't understand the hype. It feels like the US government and the cruise companies are turning this into a dog and pony show and I am just not interested. I feel that there are so many other places in the Caribbean that I would rather visit than Cuba. I'll vote with my wallet and avoid cruises that port in Cuba.

Robin

Your post is really not making sense but I think you are saying suites are sold soon one has cancelled..... ? The point is for many the change came after they could cancel because of the Ts and CS of booking.

Quest is not an American ship, its flagged in Valletta the issue appears to be it is owned by an American company. The rules were not known, it's perfectly reasonable to expect to follow the rules to have a visa but I'm not sure where else in the world the determinant of visa rules is the ownership of the cruise line.

I am glad you are happy, enjoy your trip there.

I still don't understand the necessity of so many changes to the itinerary. Particularly before New Orleans.

I am aware not to book a cruise specifically for one destination / port of call eg weather, poitics, safety etc. However, so many changes is a little hard to swallow.

Particularly the wording in the communication from Azamara that our TA emailed to us today.

"I am writing to inform you that we have had to change the itinerary for your upcoming voyage. We only take this action when it is necessary. On this occasion, we have had to alter the ship’s itinerary to include a visit to Cuba. We realize that this change may be unwelcome and we are sorry that this change will affect your holiday plans. "

It implies that it was forced upon Azamara!!

G