what are you talking about?????

Just got an email from Royal saying that our cruise on the 24th with the boarding time etc. and then said "formal night for this sailing will occur on the opening night of your cruise. As a recommendation we advise including your formal wear in your carry on luggage" REALLY!

I really thought it would be Christmas day. We are MDR people and love to meet people at our table, but we will definitely not going the first night. What do others think. Am I just being over reactive?

I never put my formal attire on the carry on because it takes lots of space but I always get my regular luggage before sail away. I don't like to have formal night on day 1 but if it's required and I was advised in advance it won't be a problem. I also believe they will do anything they can to speed up the process of you getting your luggages.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We also do not pack formal wear in our carry-on but my DH does wear a sports jacket (could wear a black suit jacket I suppose) on the plane and one could pack a pair of dress/suit pants in their carry-on.

Agree that having a formal night the day of embarkation is unusual but so is boarding on Christmas Eve. For this special occasion, I would want to look as nice as possible (not for people on the ship for my DH).

Also, have never heard of luggage not making it on the ship when it departs (but have experienced lost luggage - for 10 nights while at sea which is why we make sure to carry important things in our carry-on -- such as underwear, make-up and a change of clothes).

P.S. Make-up may sound frivolous but, to me, it is essential:-)

In our family Christmas Eve IS a holiday. I was raised with the seven fishes...Italian, but now that the "older generation" is gone we have our own home made pasta and meatballs.

Of course this is NOT on a cruise, and I can't imagine Formal Night the very first night. We usually don't even have time to shower, let alone unpack if we were to even get our luggage.

It should be 'Ugly Sweater" night. Now that would be fun, then formal the next day...........even if all aboard is 5pm.

I really would go with Ugly Sweater. At least you'll have something to talk about and be Christmasy and look nice too. Don't forget to have a family or couple photo!!;)

In our family Christmas Eve IS a holiday. I was raised with the seven fishes...Italian, but now that the "older generation" is gone we have our own home made pasta and meatballs.

Of course this is NOT on a cruise, and I can't imagine Formal Night the very first night. We usually don't even have time to shower, let alone unpack if we were to even get our luggage.

It should be 'Ugly Sweater" night. Now that would be fun, then formal the next day...........even if all aboard is 5pm.

I really would go with Ugly Sweater. At least you'll have something to talk about and be Christmasy and look nice too. Don't forget to have a family or couple photo!!;)

Ugly sweater gets my vote too 🙂

After 42 cruise's I have plenty of experience with late arrival of cases to cabin. My wife wears cocktail dresses even on casual nights so we don't have a problem with dressing up but I always book my time dining around 8.30 after we leave the diamond lounge so we cover any circumstances.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I actually do put my dinner clothes in carryon. Including shoes. That and my swimsuit and sunscreen are what's in the rolling carryon usually. And I've made DH and DS do it, too, sometimes. DH doesn't love it bc his suits are bigger and his shoes are heavy (but comfy and sometimes he just wears them onboard if he's wearing pants vs shorts).

But that's when he has time to send it out for pressing. For the first night that would be impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We sailed on December 31 on Jewel a few year ago and formal night was the first night of the cruise. That makes some sense, but I don't think of Christmas Eve as a holiday.

Well just because you don´t think about Christmas Eve as a Holiday, many others do. For us Christmas Eve is THE most important day of Christmas. It´s the day to go to church, have a traditional Christmas dinner and Exchange the Gifts. 25th and 26th are still chritstmas, but not really celebratory days anymore.

To me it sure makes sense to have a formal dinner on the 24th.

Thanks for your many replies. We are on Freedom out of "warm" Florida. I would love to get my luggage early enough before early dinner that I could get ready, but it usually doesn't happen that way. I had been told earlier that formal night was going to be on Christmas day which is a sea day. So much for getting the correct scoop!! We will have a wonderful cruise no matter whether I go to the first formal night or not and I hope each of you have the best holiday possible for you and your loved ones.

Lol! That is too funny...like ANYONE is hauling their "formalwear" in carry on bags. Show up in shorts...that'll show 'em!

Well, not really.

My daughter and I both spend a lot of time planning and buying our cruise formal wear. From dress to jewelry to shoes.

These items to us are very special.

We pack the dresses carefully in one carryon and put our shoes in another.

It would be impossible to find a replacement that we would "love" on the spur of the moment.

After all we plan for a cruise a year out and want it to go with no hitches if a suit case would be lost and in this case, not arrive.

Also we bag our swimsuits and put in yet a third carryon, you know how it is when you find those perfect swim suits and gotta have them.

And with being in a suite we get free pressing on our formal wear for the first formal night if we chose, I wonder how that would work out in this situation.

And I am scared that I am in the minority, but this is what works for us.......just saying.

Safe travels.

Edited by Lionesss

If formal night(s) is/are an important part of your cruise, then I feel certain those involved will find a way to make it happen - even on the first night. It has been my fortunate experience that my luggage usually arrives way before dinner time. Wrap the formal wear in plastic to avoid wrinkles, fold carefully and then unpack and enjoy! If that is logistically impossible and more prep time is needed, then declare one of the other nights of the cruise to be your own personal formal night. Your cruise is what you make it. Just relax and have fun.

If formal night(s) is/are an important part of your cruise, then I feel certain those involved will find a way to make it happen - even on the first night. It has been my fortunate experience that my luggage usually arrives way before dinner time. Wrap the formal wear in plastic to avoid wrinkles, fold carefully and then unpack and enjoy! If that is logistically impossible and more prep time is needed, then declare one of the other nights of the cruise to be your own personal formal night. Your cruise is what you make it. Just relax and have fun.

This. Very simple actually. Great idea!

As the old saying goes "people do what they WANT to do".

Edited by tlatrice