A different gratuities question

wombat34

I know that gratuities can often be a minefield and for the nations of the world where tipping is not second nature, Princess (along with most other cruise lines), have a system whereby, if we wish, a daily gratuity amount is automatically deducted from our accounts "for our convenience". We are always happy to have this applied to our account as we think it is helpful in the "who do we pay and how much do we pay" dilemma. We also think that it is only fair that the back room staff in the laundry and the kitchen etc. receive a share of the tips as well as the front line staff like the waiters and stewards. Of course, we are free to give an additional amount to anyone should we want to.

Now, three days before our steward was to leave the ship, he left a note in our stateroom saying goodbye and wishing us well for the future. A day later, he left a second note, saying something similar, but placing a couple of loose coins on the note. Then on the last day, he left a note saying goodbye and should we like to leave a tip to find him around or to give him a call.

My questions therefore are as follows. Firstly, is it in order, or indeed common practice for a steward to be so blatant as to virtually ask for a tip?

Secondly, do the stewards know whether or not a guest has decided to opt in or out of paying the daily gratuity? If so, what right does he/she to know what transactions are being passed over a guests account?

Would be interested to hear others views. Thanks.

We have been on over 25 Princess cruises, and a few cruises on NCL, Royal Caribbean and Carnival. We have NEVER had a steward "ask" for a tip in such a manner, or any manner whatsoever.

We always tip a steward extra but usually give it to him/her prior to the last day. Also, we never remove the daily gratuity.

We believe that stewards and other employees can indeed find out if the daily tip has been removed. If it has been removed, then I believe any cash tip you provide has to be put in the "tip pot" but if the daily gratuity is not removed, they may keep the cash tip. This is my understanding of how it works, but I am sure more seasoned CC people will chime in.

If a passenger opts out of the auto-gratuities their steward and dining room staff are immediately notified. Any cash given to them up to the amount of the DSC has to be turned into the pool; they can only keep individually tips that exceed that amount (and even whether they can keep anything at all has been disputed, at least on Princess). A policy that has been discussed to death for years on this board.

But I have never seen or heard of such blatant groveling for tips since auto-gratuities has been the norm, and never on a Princess ship (only once on a long-ago RCI cruise before that line had gone auto). My first instinct would have been to report this to the housekeeping supervisor. But upon reflection I feel that for a Princess steward to act this way they must be in truly dire financial straits, as as long as they receive the contribution from your DSC (which they would know if you had withdrawn) it is far more important for their future job and thus financial security to receive a high rating on the post-cruise survey than extra tips--this is what is much more commonly "solicited".

I've been told & also read posts that staff are aware of when passengers opt out of the automatic gratuity procedure.

I have experienced a change in cabin staff during a cruise which was only briefly mentioned when talking to them. We usually make an additional cash tip & when they return home during our cruise will give them an amount based on how many days they took care of us.

However with your blatant situation, I would not provide an additional tip. One note asking is there anything I can do before leaving the ship is sufficient notification for anyone who wants to provide an additional cash tip. I believe that such solicitations are not allowed & can be a reason for termination. Maybe your steward had no plans to return to cruise ship employment & thus ignored the rules in an effort to get one final larger payday. Or as 'fishywood' posted & they were in such dire financial straits at home that they're desperately soliciting additional income. Either way, I would not report such a violation of policy.

I feel that tipping is a personal decision & I've never reduced or eliminated the auto tip however your steward's actions are improper to me & I would most likely have ignored their overt solicitation for an additional cash tip.

I usually avoid tipping discussions like the plague because nearly all of them get nasty. However I've never read about your situation which I believe is inappropriate. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

We haven't had a blatant ploy for tips play out like the OP did from a cabin steward. We did have it from an assistant waiter one time. He showed those of us at his tables a photo of "his" little girl. I could tell that the photo looked like one taken on board the ship--same background used on one of the formal nights. He also had folded the photo--something most people wouldn't do. The others at our table may have fallen for his story about not having seen her in many months. I did not.

We use the auto tip and a couple of times when given some cash at the end of sailings, the cabin stewards have thanked us for the ADDITIONAL tip.

One cabin steward told us he always happy when people did the auto tip because he was questioned by his manager when the auto tip was removed.

Whatever, we have NEVER been ask for a tip by anyone on any Princess ship. :)

LuLu

I know that gratuities can often be a minefield and for the nations of the world where tipping is not second nature, Princess (along with most other cruise lines), have a system whereby, if we wish, a daily gratuity amount is automatically deducted from our accounts "for our convenience". We are always happy to have this applied to our account as we think it is helpful in the "who do we pay and how much do we pay" dilemma. We also think that it is only fair that the back room staff in the laundry and the kitchen etc. receive a share of the tips as well as the front line staff like the waiters and stewards. Of course, we are free to give an additional amount to anyone should we want to.

Now, three days before our steward was to leave the ship, he left a note in our stateroom saying goodbye and wishing us well for the future. A day later, he left a second note, saying something similar, but placing a couple of loose coins on the note. Then on the last day, he left a note saying goodbye and should we like to leave a tip to find him around or to give him a call.

My questions therefore are as follows. Firstly, is it in order, or indeed common practice for a steward to be so blatant as to virtually ask for a tip?

Secondly, do the stewards know whether or not a guest has decided to opt in or out of paying the daily gratuity? If so, what right does he/she to know what transactions are being passed over a guests account?

we always leave the auto tip on and tip extra on the last day of the cruise in our stateroom... the night before in the dining room.... we have well over 60 cruises on 9 different lines: have had stewards tell us they were going to leave the ship early .. at a future port a few times, basically soliciting an early tip indirectly... in each case they did not leave as they stated... I think this is a ploy to get early tips from passengers... we always tip on the last day... no matter what they tell us.

I see nothing wrong with your stateroom steward informing you that he's leaving the ship early. To me, it's not blatant at all. He is just letting you know that he's leaving the the ship early. Whether or not give him something extra, for good service in a tip envelope, is entirely up to you.

FWIW, on the day before, or embarkation day, we always give our stateroom steward something extra if the service was satisfactory. That amount goes directly to him, and not shared in a general pool. We do the same for our dining room waiter and assistant waiter. That just us, because we realize they're not paid much. And, we can certainly afford to give a bit extra. :). YMMV.

So, to each their own whether to give or not to give your cabin steward or others, who have given you good service, a bit extra in cash. Let your conscience be your guide. No one but you will know either way.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I agree.

While this is not Princess, I have seen video and photos of Carnival Cruise staff circulating a list with the passengers who removed the auto-gratuity.

I am with the OP. I would be pretty put off at the blatant "tip requests". I find that pretty unprofessional.

I've been told & also read posts that staff are aware of when passengers opt out of the automatic gratuity procedure.

People in dining certainly know, as they reamed by the

maitre d' about what they did wrong that caused the guest

to cancel.

I observe that hardly anyone working on ships takes

responsibility for their own actions, if it is possible to

blame someone minion under them.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for BUT my story involves and OVERLY PUSHY princess worker. (In reference to a consummate host card).

The final night of a 7day cruise, the chef who was serving a pasta from a skillet said "oh you like my pasta (he had served me on previous days) please let them know by feeling out a card" (which ISNT the pushy part). I smiled politely and started to walk off. Had I agreed with him, I would have spoke and said I would fill out the card. BUT he NEVER listened on previous nights , he asked about parmesan cheese.....I said NO then he piled it on; 2nd example, extra clam sauce.....no thank you (loud and clearly) and he dumped more on. So on this 3rd go round ,I thought the polite smile was a nice gesture.

THEN the pushiness..... "my name is Alexander, remember me, remember my name" THEN I got nothing less than a LECTURE "this might be nothing to You, but this was his career" and so on.

I wish now I had spoken up at the time but I was kinda dazed by the whole thing.

No they are not and that is a good reason to give him 0.00

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for BUT my story involves and OVERLY PUSHY princess worker. (In reference to a consummate host card).

The final night of a 7day cruise, the chef who was serving a pasta from a skillet said "oh you like my pasta (he had served me on previous days) please let them know by feeling out a card" (which ISNT the pushy part). I smiled politely and started to walk off. Had I agreed with him, I would have spoke and said I would fill out the card. BUT he NEVER listened on previous nights , he asked about parmesan cheese.....I said NO then he piled it on; 2nd example, extra clam sauce.....no thank you (loud and clearly) and he dumped more on. So on this 3rd go round ,I thought the polite smile was a nice gesture.

THEN the pushiness..... "my name is Alexander, remember me, remember my name" THEN I got nothing less than a LECTURE "this might be nothing to You, but this was his career" and so on.

I wish now I had spoken up at the time but I was kinda dazed by the whole thing.

Other then a Chefs Table I have not seen a Chef in the DR serving food. Especially on the last night.

What ship was this and when?

Other then a Chefs Table I have not seen a Chef in the DR serving food. Especially on the last night.

Me either...although it sounds like some of headwaiters we've had when preparing things like pastas or desserts in the dining room.

Only time I saw this was on the Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise last year when Alfredo himself prepared a special pasta.

I leave the auto-tip on and if anyone, whether dining or cabin staff suggests I tip extra, they get nothing. I have no problem having them let me know they are leaving earlier than my disembarkation and I tip accordingly if justified. But if they ask for a tip, they don't get.

2f2c6d7b854e799a8391f8c8383bb702.jpg

I agree with Pam..."asking" is going too far, but friendly notice that their contract is ending is fine.

I usually gauge how attentive the steward is on embarkation day, and if he seems particularly attentive I slip him a twenty that first day and I clarify that this is in addition to the auto-tip.

Generally speaking I will always need to ask him for something above and beyond (like asking for an additional outdoor ottoman, or asking for ice often) and I feel better knowing that he feels that I compensated him in advance for extra care.

As far as "whether a steward knows about auto-tip removal"...I, frankly, can't believe someone would remove it. It's such a meager amount of money in tips per day when you think of all the people who help us at every turn.

I don't care what someone's old-fashioned procedure of the envelope and cash on the last day is...I think anyone who turns off the auto-tip is plain rude. If you want to feel magnanimous on the last day...make the envelope an ADDITIONAL tip.

On one 28-night Princess cruise our MDR waiter introduced himself with the comment "I'll look after you and you'll look after me. You know what I mean." Said with a meaningful look. We would have tipped him extra on top of the auto gratuity, but this time he got nothing extra. :D

Had it happen before.

You also need to watch for "sob stories" we had one waiter tell us, on about day two, that he hadnt seen his wife in over 11 months. Last night of the cruise told us she'd just had a baby and he was saving for something for the baby.

Had another tell everyone they were lucky to be going home to their family for Christmas but he had to stay on the ship to serve the new passengers and afford to send presents home, as we disembarked who did we see boarding the crew bus to the airport?