Equinox or Allure

Mom2labs

Debating what to do: Allure or Equinox? DH and I are sailing with 2 sons (celebrating one's College graduation) and grandparents. Concern is there enough to entice two young twenty something's on Celebrity. My concern it's still too sedate. Considering first week in June?

Although our kids are much younger, we debated the same thing for our November family cruise. As much as we looked forward to trying an S-class Celebrity ship, there are very, very few activities designed for the younger crowd. By comparison, the Allure has a virtual smorgasbord of options for them.

Our solution was to do a "Mom and Dad" only cruise on the S-class ship and book a ship with more activities for our November family cruise.

We are looking at NCL and the Allure as options for the family. We were on the Oasis (wife and I only), and while the ship is actually a little too big for our taste, we would have a great time on it with the kids.

Dan

I have been on Allure once, and Oasis twice. Have been on Eclipse and Solstice. I agree, for a family trip, the Allure would be the better choice. The entertainment on these ships is absolutely fantastic. There are so many things for the whole family to do, young and old. The Celebrity S class ships are a very nice cruise, but a little more refined sailing experience, and IMO, better suited for couples.

Although the Equinox will probably always be my favorite ship, I would suggest the Allure. I really didn't expect to like the Allure - too big, mass of people etc. I loved the Allure, all that there was to do, the precision management of the ship, even the fairly fast service in the MDR and very helpful staff. Do however, plan your evening programs out and register online before you go aboard. Also, line up for the evening show about 30 minutes before they open the doors and you'll have your choice of seating for some of the most fabulous shows I've ever seen on any ship. Considering who is going on this family celebration cruise, I'd highly recommend the Allure even though I really do like Celebrity. :)

We have been on both ships but not with kids. On our cruise on the Allure the food was so bad we had to eat in specialty restaurants ever night, the service was pretty bad where ever we went on the ship and it was the last time we booked with Royal despite being one point away from moving up from Gold. Our cruise on the Equinox was our first Celebrity cruise and we have our 8th coming up in a few weeks. That said, yes, there is likely more to do for your kids on the Allure, just don't expect a whole lot in the way of good dining or good service.

I've sailed on the Equinox several times, never on the Allure but once on the Explorer of the Seas. Wow, I just don't like ships that are that large. The Explorer was the most beautiful ship I have seen but lines, lines, lines to absolutely everything! I was so tired of standing in line and encountering crowds everywhere. I doubt if I'd go back again.

With that being said, from my experience, Celebrity is really not geared towards kids. I probably haven't seen more than two dozen of them on the many times I have sailed with Celebrity. To be fair, I only book itineraries when school is in session so that may explain a lot. It definitely looks like RCCL has a lot more kid friendly activities and areas than Celebrity ships have.

More for young folks on Allure but no real fine dining...maybe specialty ok for a family dinner

Many events req res...lines for events..On Oasis (sister ship) our son in law enjoyed the zip line , climbing rock wall, bar that goes up and down levels.etc .

We could not wait to get off..too crowded & more like a mall..but we see the appeal to families with children and young adults..

Grandparents may enjoy Adult Only Solarium

Edited by hcat

Just got off the Allure. The entertainment was great and service good, The food selection and quality in the main dining room was more like Applebees. I have also been on the Equinox and the food and service were terrific. However, the entertainment was only OK.

Debating what to do: Allure or Equinox? DH and I are sailing with 2 sons (celebrating one's College graduation) and grandparents. Concern is there enough to entice two young twenty something's on Celebrity. My concern it's still too sedate. Considering first week in Jun Allure all day.

• 2 years later...

I vote for the Allure, hands down, especially when kids are involved. There is just so much to see in do on the Allure vs. Equinox. We were on the Allure last October and had the time of our lives and we are retired. The only times it felt crowded was for the muster drill, the parades through the Promenade and the Windjammer Cafe during the prime time lunch hours. We thought the food in the MDR was just fine. If you don't want to take a chance, they have specialty dining packages at a discount that you don't have to worry about getting one, like on Celebrity. Seven days for $168 p.p., no restrictions on which venues you can eat in.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ZAPZAP said:

We are also debating the same issue as with 2 young boys.

Well, if you are really in Orlando, far easier to get to the Allure. Might cost more though, those big ships normally do.

For teens, well, the Allure has a lot more to offer, rock climbing, mini-golf, wave rider, zip line, etc. on-board, but that might not be what they want. It might stop (I have not looked) at the private island (one of two RCCL uses) depending in route. Might have more sea days though.

Equinox, depending on router might only have 2 sea days, but I think it is more 'sedate'.

You know your kids, show them web sites and what the ships have and ask them is probably the best answer.

Hmmm...

I have sailed on the Equinox (without my kids), Solstice (without my kids), and Reflection (with my kids.)

I have two upcoming Equinox cruises booked (one with kids, one with out) and also an Allure booked.  I have only sailed RCCL once and it was 17 years ago so really not a helpful comparison, so for all intents and purposes, I'm an RCCL newbie.

We have sailed NCL, Disney, and X with our kids.  Honestly my favorite trip with them was Celebrity.  Disney kids club was wild and crazy, pandemonium to the max.  NCL kids club was busy and I did not like a lot of the public areas for kids because it was a lot of adult only type activities... and smoke everywhere.  Luckily one of them we were in Haven so at least the pool was calm.

Now, you are looking at 20 something, not children, but I went on my first cruise as a 17 year old on RCCL Legend of the Seas and had a great time.  But, I'm an introverted only child who grew up in the country and as such am very good at entertaining myself.  Maybe this is the case for your 20 something, maybe not.  But I started cruising Celebrity in my 20s (albeit married and going with my husband) and really enjoyed it.

This. is easy for me:   Allure

Entertainment is much better and the ship has a livelier feel to it.  Equinox is very sedate and lacked energy. An edge to Celebrity for the food but not even close in the activities/entertainment arena.

I love both ships but for different reasons. BTW, we will be on Allure again. in three days. This is my honest opinion. I really believe your sons will be more entertained on Allure than Equinox, unless Equinox has a particularly compelling itinerary with amazing shore excursions. Even so, nights on Equinox are pretty laid back, at least compared to Allure. Also Allure tends to attract younger passengers than Equinox as a whole. Oasis Class ships seem to have non-stop activities, especially important on sea days. We travel with our young adult family on those ships and they wear me out. (Then I need a Celebrity cruise to rest up.)😁

11 hours ago, IrvSp said:

Well, if you are really in Orlando, far easier to get to the Allure. Might cost more though, those big ships normally do.

For teens, well, the Allure has a lot more to offer, rock climbing, mini-golf, wave rider, zip line, etc. on-board, but that might not be what they want. It might stop (I have not looked) at the private island (one of two RCCL uses) depending in route. Might have more sea days though.

Equinox, depending on router might only have 2 sea days, but I think it is more 'sedate'.

You know your kids, show them web sites and what the ships have and ask them is probably the best answer.

Yes we are in the Orlando area, but both Equinox and Allure depart from the same port so that is not an issue for us 🙂

Our kids are 10 and hence that is why we are debating as Equinox offers a better itinerary (never done Mexico) while Allure's itinerary does few stops we already did before. But again, we are now leaning towards the Allure as we are dead afraid that kids that age would disturb the almost-sacred tranquility of the Equinox 😋

4 hours ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

I love both ships but for different reasons. BTW, we will be on Allure again. in three days. This is my honest opinion. I really believe your sons will be more entertained on Allure than Equinox, unless Equinox has a particularly compelling itinerary with amazing shore excursions. Even so, nights on Equinox are pretty laid back, at least compared to Allure. Also Allure tends to attract younger passengers than Equinox as a whole. Oasis Class ships seem to have non-stop activities, especially important on sea days. We travel with our young adult family on those ships and they wear me out. (Then I need a Celebrity cruise to rest up.)😁

Thanks for the insights. Yes the Equinox's itinerary is much better for us in July. But again, it's a trade off. Our boys are 10 and very active. Even though we, the parents, prefer the Equinox from the review, but we now start feeling that we'd sacrifice the service, food and tranquility for the sake of keeping the kids amused 😞

4 hours ago, ZAPZAP said:

Yes we are in the Orlando area, but both Equinox and Allure depart from the same port so that is not an issue for us 🙂

Our kids are 10 and hence that is why we are debating as Equinox offers a better itinerary (never done Mexico) while Allure's itinerary does few stops we already did before. But again, we are now leaning towards the Allure as we are dead afraid that kids that age would disturb the almost-sacred tranquility of the Equinox 😋

Sorry, my mistake on the RCCL ship, it is the Harmony now at Port Canaveral. Newer Oasis class, and it does the same 2 Mexican ports as the Equinox. Both ships are port intensive, only 2 sea days compared to some other routes.

We live in Orlando area too,  and have done the Allure with 2 teen grandchildren 3 years ago. No complaints other then the 12 year old at the time was afraid to do the Zip line but did on the last day, was sorry he didn't do it sooner.

They are going with us on the Equinox, we'll see how that goes, but they are probably going to be happy and they will be able to use the electronic devices they have. Doing that this time for something different, and getting 2 cabins close by for July was easier.

Edited by IrvSp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

Have cruised on both the Allure and the Equinox. With your children involved, best choice would be the Allure.

Thanks so much for the advice; yes I think we now got convinced 🙂

Is the allure that noisy for adults and food that horrible as some make it sound?

1 hour ago, ZAPZAP said:

Thanks so much for the advice; yes I think we now got convinced 🙂

Is the allure that noisy for adults and food that horrible as some make it sound?

There is definitely a higher energy level on that ship.  One factor are the younger passengers and the sidewalks are not rolled up at 10 pm. 😀  You will find much better entertainment.  

Have fun!