Skipping Muster Drill on the Sensation

keywest1

Why?

I will take a shot and answer. First of all it's the rule and an important one. Second, people who do not go or who are extremely late slow down the process for everyone who does follow the rules. Lastly and most importantly, the lack of knowledge in the event of a real emergency might cause harm or even death the person (or more importantly) or others in the event of something serious happening. Having a serious penalty associated with it sometimes is the only way to get through to the knuckleheads who think they know better.

Sent from my iPhone

I agree that's not going to happen , but there needs to be a new system that works . Perhaps some posters here could help find a solution instead of sarcasm :D.

With the new scanning system they know who exactly missed the drill and they have every right to put them off. In 2012 Holland America put off a couple in Port Everglades for skipping the drill. Here is a link to the article.

http://overheadbin.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/02/01/10291993-cruise-passenger-booted-off-ship-for-skipping-safety-drill

Ever since the Costa Concordia disaster in January 2012, all of the Carnival brands have tightened up the procedures for the muster drills.

When I complained to the Guest Services manager about the hour long drill on the Liberty in September, with people dropping like flies in the heat, he explained that they had a long list of behind the scenes procedures that had to be followed. The Coast Guard was onboard that day observing the way they carried out the drill. He said that all ships had received new directives regarding the drills and eventually all Carnival ships would get the scanners and that there would be consequences for those skipping the drill.

Princess and RCCL have been scanning the cards for years to take attendance.

And of course if the ship goes down those complaining the most about not knowing what to do would be the ones who felt they were entitled to skip the drill.

Just to point out, carnival is the only cruise line I've been on that holds muster drills this way. We have also cruise Norwegian and celebrity and they both have the decency to hold the mister drills in the theaters and lounges for the most part; no heat, plenty of seat, just have to sit there while they do the briefing. And they usually conducted in a timely fashion - probably because people actually show up since they are so painless

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were also scanned in during our muster on the Magic in December. I'm glad they are taking this seriously, and I certainly don't mind the time it takes to make sure we understand. It's part of cruising - although I am quite thankful we no longer have to carry the life jackets with us.

I do much prefer how the Dream class completes Muster as opposed to the Fantasy and especially the Conquest class. Here's hoping it will continue to evolve in to something that is both informative and with air conditioning. :)

You would be amazed. During a discussion with a Hotel Director he told me some of the places. I won't give anyone ideas here tho.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My DW once worked serving cocktails on a cruise ship off the east coast. Crew also had to be at certain locations for the drills, but she hated it, mainly because the drills were always at a time she could get a rare rest. She would hide in the tiny closet in their cabin until the drill was over! The crew cabins were checked but all they did was open the door and peek inside.

Just to point out, carnival is the only cruise line I've been on that holds muster drills this way. We have also cruise Norwegian and celebrity and they both have the decency to hold the mister drills in the theaters and lounges for the most part; no heat, plenty of seat, just have to sit there while they do the briefing. And they usually conducted in a timely fashion - probably because people actually show up since they are so painless

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Royal Carribean was also in a theater that was air conditioned. I don't remember it taking more than 15 minutes

A lot of the newer ships don't have the necessary Promenade deck to hold the muster outside any longer, thus they're now held inside. Carnival also holds muster inside on their newer ships and actually on the Fantasy class as well. I'm glad they're starting the scan of S&S cards too, this should dramatically speed things up, especially when word gets out!

Pretty sure I'm remembering this correctly from ChengPK, our resident expert! It's not up to the cruise line to determine where the muster will be held, it's determined when the class of ship is 'released' and unfortunately, they cannot just change the location.

Other lines do also hold muster outside, my last on NCL was held outside.

A lot of the newer ships don't have the necessary Promenade deck to hold the muster outside any longer, thus they're now held inside. Carnival also holds muster inside on their newer ships and actually on the Fantasy class as well. I'm glad they're starting the scan of S&S cards too, this should dramatically speed things up, especially when word gets out!

Pretty sure I'm remembering this correctly from ChengPK, our resident expert! It's not up to the cruise line to determine where the muster will be held, it's determined when the class of ship is 'released' and unfortunately, they cannot just change the location.

Other lines do also hold muster outside, my last on NCL was held outside.

I've been lucky. I've always cruised on the bigger ships, and all our musters were indoors. Although I don't consider myself to need special assistance, I don't think I can handle an outdoor muster of more than about 15-20 minutes. My knees hurt after standing in one place for about 10 minutes. Plus the potential of fainting.

I wonder if anyone picked a cruise strictly based on indoor vs. outdoor muster.

I do have a question. For outdoor muster, do the even allow you to drink bottled water?

Not sure about the bottled water.

However, if your knees can't handle the standing, ask guest services about attending the special needs muster. I completely understand, I injured my knee last year, now have pretty bad arthritis in it and had to attend the special needs muster on my last cruise. Just explain that standing for long periods is difficult and causes pain, which you'd like to avoid and they'll advise you where to report. At the muster, they'll ask if, in the event of an emergency, would you need special assistance to make it to the muster station. I said no, it was more preventative, walking wasn't a major issue and in the event of an emergency I would stand as long as necessary to survive!

Since carnival has FTTF, maybe they could come up with LTTM (last to the muster), great money maker for Carnival...lol

That's what I was thinking... maybe a $200 fine on the sign and sail for requiring staff to perform the "makeup" muster drill during sail away.

Not sure about the bottled water.

However, if your knees can't handle the standing, ask guest services about attending the special needs muster. I completely understand, I injured my knee last year, now have pretty bad arthritis in it and had to attend the special needs muster on my last cruise. Just explain that standing for long periods is difficult and causes pain, which you'd like to avoid and they'll advise you where to report. At the muster, they'll ask if, in the event of an emergency, would you need special assistance to make it to the muster station. I said no, it was more preventative, walking wasn't a major issue and in the event of an emergency I would stand as long as necessary to survive!

Thanks for letting me know about the special needs muster I was not aware of that

• 2 weeks later...
Some people are special, after all, right?

Why should they wait with the great unwashed while they enjoy another drink on the Lido deck?

Glad they were forced to do it... those are the same idiots who would panic and run roughshod over others in a real emergency!

Could not have said it better. These are installed for safety purposes. Any idiot who thinks this is cute (skipping muster count), would be the first one suing if a member of their party was left behind.

This is the same reason we sign in when visiting an apartment complex, hospital, or visiting a business.........so the safety officials will know who exactly is in the building.

Perfect? no.......at least they are trying.

My last few drills have been inside. On Dream, they were in the MDR and on other ships they were in the theatre. There are the special "snowflakes" that feel they don't need to attend and hold up everything for others.

I would like to give them 10 minutes from when they are told to appear, to show up or else--- The or else would be let everyone else attend and go on with their business and then page the others and have them removed from the ship. The other possibility is to go on with the drill, and let the special ones go UNTIL the first port. When they try to get off the ship, have their cards flagged and have them not get off, but instead, be sent to a place, determined by the cruise line, to attend a special drill. They can wait until all the others who have skipped the drill can get together to have their own "special" drill.

Who cares if they miss their excursion? Not I, because I had to sit there waiting for them. I would still have the stewards go to the cabins to check to see if they are in there, and for the people who fell asleep, if the steward couldn't get in to tell you, it's your bad. You had to know there was a drill and you knew you should be there. If they don't try to get off the ship, it should be relatively easy to find them onboard as they probably will be up by the pool.

Sorry, but obviously, I am not empathetic as I have had to wait too many times for those who felt it was a joke and they, usually, after a few drinks thought it was cool to not go. JMO. Flame away!

Sorry, but obviously, I am not empathetic as I have had to wait too many times for those who felt it was a joke and they, usually, after a few drinks thought it was cool to not go. JMO. Flame away!

Don't be sorry! Hell, I couldn't agree more!!!

I find this thread appalling. I have been on more than a dozen cruises, most of them with Celebrity and Holland America. HAL holds its drills outside. I used to consider this an "inconvenience". Not anymore. Not since the Costa Concordia. Now I treat the drill as an exciting opportunity to begin my cruise in earnest. Without the drill, there would be no cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We missed the muster drill in Puerto Rico once. Not because we think we're special, or didn't want to stand with the great unwashed! In order to get to the airport on time we had to get up at 2:30 AM. Since sail away was at 10:00 PM, we laid down to catch a quick nap and simply slept through the announcements. We received a note the next day asking us to attend muster drill in the theatre, which we did. There are many reasons someone may miss it, don't be so quick to assume anything. I'll never understand why some people are so quick to judge and think the worst of others.

You slept through the announcements and the alarm--7 short and 1 long blast??? I think I'd have my hearing tested. There really are not many reasons someone would miss a mandatory drill that everyone is told about repeatedly throughout the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

too funny, I was just going to post on an "all ship" announcement. There is no way on earth you could sleep through that alarm system unless they brought back quaaludes. If you ever stay on the ship in a port, they do several "all ship" announcements for drills for the crew. They are sooooo loud, extremely annoying but obviously effective, since there is no way you will not hear it.

Muster drill took quite some time on the Sensation last Monday. At the end, around 25 cabin numbers were announced. The CD invited them to a special muster drill at sailaway time :D Made me feel a little better about them causing all the rest of us to stand nose to armpit longer than necessary ;)

They everyone wear deodorant???:loudcry: