What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

I received an upsell on the Jade for April 9th for balcony for $150 pp, and we managed to grab two balcony (upgraded from OV) cabins. We felt that was a great deal, because we booked this two years ago for a VERY low initial price and kids sail free. Jade is not part of the bid process I guess yet.

Our bid for Sunday's departure on the Getaway just got accepted!!! From Balcony to H9- Haven Spa Suite. Bid a bit higher on this one because offers both Haven and Spa. Plus there were many available few weeks ago so thought may not be as highly desirable as other haven locations. Bid was in high end of poor range- $610 each, so did not expect it to be accepted.

Still shocked! Only blip is that we're traveling with DDs (18 & 21) who are in cabin on 9th deck where we would have been. What does this mean for embarkation, can they ever eat together with us in Haven restaurant?? Lots to wrap my head around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our bid for Sunday's departure on the Getaway just got accepted!!! From Balcony to H9- Haven Spa Suite. Bid a bit higher on this one because offers both Haven and Spa. Plus there were many available few weeks ago so thought may not be as highly desirable as other haven locations. Bid was in high end of poor range- $610 each, so did not expect it to be accepted.

Still shocked! Only blip is that we're traveling with DDs (18 & 21) who are in cabin on 9th deck where we would have been. What does this mean for embarkation, can they ever eat together with us in Haven restaurant?? Lots to wrap my head around.

They won't be able to embark with you because the haven check in staff will not have their paperwork. They will not be entitled to any of the haven perks and will only be able to visit with you in your cabin (not in any of the haven areas). They may be able to dine with you once or twice in the haven restaurant for dinner. But there will be a charge and it is up to the haven staff to okay that. They will not be able to dine in the haven for lunch or breakfast.

I'd consider bidding for an upgrade but we have connecting cabins (porthole). I'd like to stay connected as we are a family of 6...2 adults and 4 kids...Is there an option for connecting cabins within the bidding process?

Also, I was told by a previous NCL cruiser they have called for upgrades in the past...is this no longer an option?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am sailing on the Star from Venice on 05/07/17 and just received the upgrade email. I guess Star is also on the upgrade program now.

We're on the 4/23 Star from Venice. I didn't get an email, but when I logged into my NCL account this morning (like I do everyday), an upgrade banner appeared that allowed me to bid on two different stateroom upgrades.

We originally booked ocean view and were allowed to bid minimum $50 pp for balcony or $75 pp for minisuite.

We're on the 4/23 Star from Venice. I didn't get an email, but when I logged into my NCL account this morning (like I do everyday), an upgrade banner appeared that allowed me to bid on two different stateroom upgrades.

We originally booked ocean view and were allowed to bid minimum $50 pp for balcony or $75 pp for minisuite.

Interesting! When they started the Upgrade Advantage, most of us got the emails at 80 days out. Now they are posting these offers on your account about 6 weeks out??

Interesting! When they started the Upgrade Advantage, most of us got the emails at 80 days out. Now they are posting these offers on your account about 6 weeks out??

Received it today, 46days out :)

We are in the owners suite with 2 balconies and just received the upgrade advantage program email for a 3 bedroom garden villa. Our current suite already comes with butler, concierge, liquor, etc.

The lowest bid it allows me is $1020.00 US. There is just 2 of us and as much as this sounds amazing opportunity, I am not sure if its worth it. . I am not sure what advantage I would get other than get the larger space and a hot tub outside.

Would welcome your opinion on this one

We upgraded to a DOS on Pearl and it was fabulous. We had a hot tub on our balcony and since it was an Alaskan cruise, we used it a lot on Glacier Bay day. One of our favorite memories was cruising through the glaciers with a cocktail in our hot tub! That being said, we looked into the Garden Villas and they were amazing. I don't think for 2 people I would upgrade though. They are huge!

We want to take a cruise with family someday in the Garden Villas...just need to bring along someone who can play the grand piano in the living room!

Something you have to keep in mind when you decide to bid on an "upgrade" is the only perks you have are the ones you initially have prior to bidding. Bidding on the Haven especially you need to come up with a value on the drink package, dining package and any other perks you would have had and deduct that value from the original price of booking a Haven suite. People up bidding more then $1,000 per person needs to reconsider, yes the additional space is great to have when you are in the suite and is that worth the bidding process? The butler,etc., you will take care of by tipping so the real question is the increase size of suite, the pool and Haven dining worth the additional cost? Your comments?

Edited by nealjr
add to comment

I totally agree with nealjr. Everyone is different so from my perspective, the only way I'd upgrade is if I thought I'd get my (additional) money's worth from it. We are in a midship balcony on the Escape at the end of May. Haven't received access to offer any upgrades yet but I've already decided how much I'd offer on each upgrade category and which ones I'd be interested in. I love the cabin we've already selected but it's our 10th anniversary and that's the main reason I'd bid on an upgrade. It all depends on what each individual sees as getting a good value for the additional upgrade fees. Now come on, NCL, I want to at least get the opportunity to make an offer!

Question: I'm 72 days out for an Alaskan cruise on the Jewel. I'm currently booked in an Aft penthouse suite (non-haven) with 2 other adults. I have not recieved an upgrade email nor a notice on my myNCL page. If I were to get one, I assume I would bid on haven category suites, owner's suites, etc. If I bid on one of these, I lose my suite perks of beverage package, specialty dining, internet, etc? Thanks for your help!

You keep all of your original perks you received with your booking when you receive an Upsell, but you don't gain any additional perks either.

Question: I'm 72 days out for an Alaskan cruise on the Jewel. I'm currently booked in an Aft penthouse suite (non-haven) with 2 other adults. I have not recieved an upgrade email nor a notice on my myNCL page. If I were to get one, I assume I would bid on haven category suites, owner's suites, etc. If I bid on one of these, I lose my suite perks of beverage package, specialty dining, internet, etc? Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just received now my official deny request for my inside to balcony upgrade for this Saturday on the Escape.

Keep in mind for comparison. Looks like boat is sold out as it is a very popular week.

We are on the 4/15 Escape sailing booked in a mid-ship mini suite. Received the upgrade email at exactly 80 days out. Minimum bids available were 400pp for forward penthouse or spa balcony, 500pp for haven balcony, 750pp for aft balcony, 1000pp for 2bdrm and 1500pp for owners suite. I did not have the option to low ball below the minimum. I do have the option to review and edit my bids. I'll decline sharing what my bids are/were until after the fact. Fingers crossed for success in the meantime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received exact same offers for 4/1 sailing on escape. Fingers crossed! I originally had a mid ship mini but was able to get a spa mini for no extra charge which you might want to check into if it's of interest to you . I was told on the phone that there had been a price drop after my initial booking. Good luck!

Just FYI for anyone thinking about the GEM, 7 days NYC-FL-GSC-Nassau milky run ... folks on our Roll Call reporting & I can also confirm the Upgrade Advantage just rolled out this week (t minus 52 days) both directly by emails (both DW & I got it ... making sure we didn't "miss" the time-limited opportunity to bid, LOL) + pop-up banner as soon as logged into MyNCL

Per personalized email, bids as low as $25 p/p from I/S to OV, $50 p/p to Balcony. OV can bid for Balcony or Mini-Suite. No new "Free At Sea" perks will be added, keep what you have at the time of original booking.

Still ?? time at 7+ weeks out, to sell unsold inventory - 50+ Insides and 50+ Oceanviews (a fair # of triples & quads available) while remaining Balconies are more limited & could be gone. It doesn't seemed like there's going to be a lot of school-aged on the sailing. Prices for new bookings not dropping & actually higher now.

Something you have to keep in mind when you decide to bid on an "upgrade" is the only perks you have are the ones you initially have prior to bidding. Bidding on the Haven especially you need to come up with a value on the drink package, dining package and any other perks you would have had and deduct that value from the original price of booking a Haven suite. People up bidding more then $1,000 per person needs to reconsider, yes the additional space is great to have when you are in the suite and is that worth the bidding process? The butler,etc., you will take care of by tipping so the real question is the increase size of suite, the pool and Haven dining worth the additional cost? Your comments?

You raise some very important issues to consider. When weighing my options, I'm thinking about fewer crowds, and a little more quiet and privacy. I already have the drink and dining package, and I will not lose those, so that is a plus. I do not feel as though I would be missing anything if I do not get the other perks that come with being in the Haven since I did not want them anyway. Oh, but to have a little more serenity :) Yes, it's well worth the cost if I can get it. Prayers up, and fingers crossed. It will be a wonderful birthday celebration, indeed!

i just ran some math on my offer.

my email today offered me a mini-suite for minimum bid of $25 per person, the suggested max bid was $400 per person.

in doing a mock booking for the cheapest mini suite, i could get it for $46 total - $4 less than the minimum bid of $25 per person.

are they praying on people who dont really know or remember how much they paid for their original booking who think that even the low bid is a good deal?

my email today offered me a mini-suite for minimum bid of $25 per person, the suggested max bid was $400 per person.

in doing a mock booking for the cheapest mini suite, i could get it for $46 total - $4 less than the minimum bid of $25 per person.

are they praying on people who dont really know or remember how much they paid for their original booking who think that even the low bid is a good deal?

That's why I say you need to do the math before you bid!! I think sometimes people forget how much they have paid for their current booking and just see that they have the opportunity to upgrade by 'Moving the bar needle" to a fair price which is really over bidding especially since you aren't gaining any additional perks by moving up:mad:

> There is just 2 of us and as much as this sounds amazing opportunity, I am not sure if its worth it.

I suspect you are right. There will be 4 of us in our accessible mini suite and the only way I will bid on an upgrade will be if it increases our square footage significantly. At least one of the suites is only about the same area as what we have now - having the butler would be a waste because with 4 people, he wouldn't be able to move around to do anything for us! lol

Whoever wanted someone to play the grand piano in the garden villa, invite me along and I'll happily serenade you. I specialize in Andrew Lloyd Webber and old hymns no one has ever heard of. ;)

I'm disappointed to see Upgrade Advantage has been rolled out for the Gem. I am sailing on the Pearl in May and figured my chances would be better with the upsell line, but if they have started adding the Gem-class ships I'm afraid I will be OOL. Just checked MyNCL and Pearl hasn't been added YET. (I have a popular aft mini suite so kind of think I will get an early invitation.)

Yes somewhat. I know to upgrade our balcony to a higher level (other than a mini-suite for $25 person, which is basically the same cabin) was a minimum of $500 pp. Interestingly, they gave me the opportunity to bid on cabins that had a maximum occupancy of 2 even though we have more in our existing cabin. If I was willing to go $1000 more, i'd have been able to get the same room at the same price on initially booking.