Annoyed by Anytime Dining taking reservations and wait times once seated

ChiBearsSuperFan

We were on the Royal a few weeks ago. Our group of 6 selected Anytime Dining. The first night that we decided to go, there was a long line. It was around 7:10. We expected a line. No biggie. Then we saw people walking away from the front of the line with restaurant pagers. Struck us as odd but okay. Got our pager and waited .. and waited and waited. After an hour, someone from our group went to the hostess stand to inquire how much longer it would be. We were told that they had no idea. That there were people with reservations who were to be sat first. Reservations? Really? Apparently we raised enough of a stink and were sat immediately. Once we were say, we waited 15 minutes for menus, then another 20 minutes for someone to take our order. The rest of the meal went downhill. We found the food to be bland. The staff to be unattantive. Sadly, all of this tainted our dining experience and we never went back.

What is the deal with reservations being taken for Anytime Dining? If you want an assigned time for dinner, pick one of the established times in the other dining room. Otherwise, when do you think people are going to want reservations, most likely between 6:00 and 7:30pm. Just as everyone else who signed up for Anytime Dining is trying to go! Found this to be a ridiculous practice. Tried to make contact with a Maitre-de to express our frustration. We were told he would be right over to speak to us. Never came by. Looked our way several times as he talked to staff who walked up to him but never made the time to come see us.

We were on the Royal a few weeks ago. Our group of 6 selected Anytime Dining. The first night that we decided to go, there was a long line. It was around 7:10. We expected a line. No biggie. Then we saw people walking away from the front of the line with restaurant pagers. Struck us as odd but okay. Got our pager and waited .. and waited and waited. After an hour, someone from our group went to the hostess stand to inquire how much longer it would be. We were told that they had no idea. That there were people with reservations who were to be sat first. Reservations? Really? Apparently we raised enough of a stink and were sat immediately. Once we were say, we waited 15 minutes for menus, then another 20 minutes for someone to take our order. The rest of the meal went downhill. We found the food to be bland. The staff to be unattantive. Sadly, all of this tainted our dining experience and we never went back.

What is the deal with reservations being taken for Anytime Dining? If you want an assigned time for dinner, pick one of the established times in the other dining room. Otherwise, when do you think people are going to want reservations, most likely between 6:00 and 7:30pm. Just as everyone else who signed up for Anytime Dining is trying to go! Found this to be a ridiculous practice. Tried to make contact with a Maitre-de to express our frustration. We were told he would be right over to speak to us. Never came by. Looked our way several times as he talked to staff who walked up to him but never made the time to come see us.

I hope you brought all this up, in writing, with the Hotel Director and with the Food & Beverage Manager and the Restaurant Manager.

This is NOT the expectations we had when we chose Anytime Dining.

Sounds like you need to stick with Carnival and be seated in a timely manner.

Some people like to book their dining ahead, but don't want to eat at the same time every day or with strangers. I am in that category, I would never do traditional dining but I might book my anytime dining if it seemed necessary (after experiencing long wait) or I wanted a very specific time due to a show later or something. We really haven't had to book ahead with anytime dining in the past and never really waited more than a half hour or so, which is fine with me. Think of it like any land based restaurant that you may or may not make a reservation for, and if you don't, you may have to wait. Regarding your comments on the dining room experience, we have found the MDR experience has declined over the last 10 years in food and service (esp drink service) and so we really focus on specialty dining as much as possible, sometimes every night of a cruise. It's the only way to get the service and food quality we desire, and fortunately it is without our budget to do so. Sorry you were having a frustrating time.

We have had better luck at Anytime going either early or at around 7:45.

I also agree that Anytime should not take reservations

How "early" is early? From when to when?

"Anytime" and "Reservations" should be mutually exclusive terms.

I think Princess has created "Anything Goes Dining" instead of "Anytime Dining." We do not think that reservations should be allowed and it should be first come first served like you would expect. Some Princess ships allow less reservations then others.

I always write a comment card stating how "I think their concept of anytime dining is a farce." It is even worse now that they have added "Club Class Dining" to the mix. If people need set reservations then they should be have to sign up for Traditional Dining like other cruise lines handle it. ATD is really one of the few things I really dislike and disagree with Princess on. :mad::mad:

Sounds like you need to stick with Carnival and be seated in a timely manner.

Most other cruise lines handle in on a first come first serve basis.....why bring Carnival into the mix....other then Princess has created a circus when it come to ATD.....:rolleyes:

So they usually take a"small amount" of early reservations for dinner, but not at 7 (never seen that happen before). [emoji15]

We got tired of the bad service we were getting on ATD because we never had the same server twice. So we switched to Traditional thinking our server might remember our preferences and that the service would be better.... however Our last 2 cruises have also had crazy wait time IN traditional dining because of the number of tables the servers have assigned to them is ridiculous!! Plus, on one cruise our dining room was half ATD half traditional and our waiter/assistant waiter were managing BOTH! It was chaotic and service suffered. We mentioned this on the survey. If it happens again, will mention it on board.

I'm not happy with the dining situation Princess has going on right now. Hoping our upcoming cruise on Royal Princess fares better.

That's terrible that you never got the maitre d to show up. I would be bothered by that as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most other cruise lines handle in on a first come first serve basis.....why bring Carnival into the mix....other then Princess has created a circus when it come to ATD.....:rolleyes:

It was brought up because 10 of his past 12 cruises were on Carnival.

How "early" is early? From when to when?

"Anytime" and "Reservations" should be mutually exclusive terms.

"Early" is usually when they open. It varies by cruise, 5:30, 5:45, 6:00... they also take late reservations for after 8, but they have not been necessary on any cruise we've been on lately.

They probably consider 2.5 hours per meal when taking the reservation? That's just my assumption. At least that's what dinner has been taking on our cruises and that's fine some nights but I don't want that long if a meal every night, but some people like long meals...

Don't know which "most other" cruise lines you're referring to, but two big ones, RCCL and NCL both take reservations for their anytime dining rooms. It has become necessary on the giant mega ships. There are numerous accounts of people not booking their dining ahead of time and getting totally screwed with lousy (or no) dining availability. Some NCL cruisers feel particularly peeved as they are billed as "Freestyle" but planning dinners on their away class ships is anything but "Freestyle", you may have to do it months in advance to get what you really want. Same on Quantum class ships on RCCL. I like to book things ahead so on those cruise lines, I do it. NCL and RCCL let you book online in your cruise planner. (With Princess, it never used to be a possibility, I don't know if it is now but I don't think so.)

Regarding your comments on the dining room experience, we have found the MDR experience has declined over the last 10 years in food and service (esp drink service).

Agree with your comments about drink service declining! We come in with a drink and order a second one when we order our meal so that it arrives in time for the entree.

We also do specialty dining 3-4 nights a cruise (and usually take 10-15 day cruises).

Edited by jennybenny

{Snipped}

Some NCL cruisers feel particularly peeved as they are billed as "Freestyle" but planning dinners on their away class ships is anything but "Freestyle", you may have to do it months in advance to get what you really want.

One major difference with MDRs in the medium sized ships on NCL is that there are large numbers of two person tables so that isn't a hold up. They also will put two at a 4 person table unless they are really busy.

Also, in general, they do not take reservations for small groups, 2/4, but will for larger ones as they have relatively fewer larger tables.

In Specialty they only take 30% of bookings before boarding.

Yes the MDRs on NCL do have a problem with wait times at the very popular times, which are based on people wanting to eat before or after a show. But so long as you know when they will be the wait is generally less than 5 minutes and usually depends on the number of seating staff on duty.

I like the fact that reservations are an option. If you think that obtaining a reservation gives people an advantage, then guess what? Make a reservation! We almost always dine at the transitional MDR and make our reservation as close to the transition time as possible. Typically, the person on the phone offers us 7:30 as an option and we accept. And we usually head to the dining room around 7:15 and are seated upon arrival. On our last cruise, after two consecutive days of making a reservation and arriving at 7:15, the maitre'd approached us as we left and offered to keep that table available for us at the same time for the rest of the cruise and we accepted. It is not the same as Traditional Dining, because there is no such thing as a Traditional seating at 7:15-7:30. If there were, I would take it. But the transitional MDR has to, by definition, clear out around 7:00 which means that every table in the place is re-set and ready to go by 7:15. Somebody has to get one of those tables. Might as well be me. And if you want one too, then ask. And for the record, on our sold-out cruise, every person, (and I stress EVERY) who arrived at the transitional MDR after 7:20 was seated immediately. No wait. No buzzers. Indeed, the MDR was never more than one third full between 7:15 and 8:00. Anyone could have gotten in had they simply walked up to the podium.

I like the fact that reservations are an option. If you think that obtaining a reservation gives people an advantage, then guess what? Make a reservation! We almost always dine at the transitional MDR and make our reservation as close to the transition time as possible. Typically, the person on the phone offers us 7:30 as an option and we accept. And we usually head to the dining room around 7:15 and are seated upon arrival. On our last cruise, after two consecutive days of making a reservation and arriving at 7:15, the maitre'd approached us as we left and offered to keep that table available for us at the same time for the rest of the cruise and we accepted. It is not the same as Traditional Dining, because there is no such thing as a Traditional seating at 7:15-7:30. If there were, I would take it. But the transitional MDR has to, by definition, clear out around 7:00 which means that every table in the place is re-set and ready to go by 7:15. Somebody has to get one of those tables. Might as well be me. And if you want one too, then ask. And for the record, on our sold-out cruise, every person, (and I stress EVERY) who arrived at the transitional MDR after 7:20 was seated immediately. No wait. No buzzers. Indeed, the MDR was never more than one third full between 7:15 and 8:00. Anyone could have gotten in had they simply walked up to the podium.

New to Princess - can you explain the transiional MDR please.

(FWIW - this thread is making me dizzy. Always book ATD on our cruises, never make reservations, never had a long wait.) IMHO, making reservations defeats the whole reason of why we book ATD in the first place!

New to Princess - can you explain the transiional MDR please.

(FWIW - this thread is making me dizzy. Always book ATD on our cruises, never make reservations, never had a long wait.) IMHO, making reservations defeats the whole reason of why we book ATD in the first place!

Just show up at the door & either be seated, get a beeper or make reservations for eating each morning. No reservations between 6:15 and 8:00 PM.

Years ago, getting a reservation was a perk for suites. They would call your cabin and ask when you would like to eat. Then they opened reservations to a limited number of people. With so many elites these days, many know waiters from past cruises, find them and ask for that table. The waiter arranges to keep that table open for them every night so many times the head waiters are not making the arrangements. It is getting frustrating for many passengers. We were on a 30 day cruise years ago in the grand suite. We were not able to get a reservation. We were never able to get a window table . Luckily we had the dining table in the cabin so we ordered in most nights. I thought we might have a little pull in that cabin but it didn't happen. Room service was excellent.

Now we usually go up a little earlier than we want to eat, get a beeper, find a table with friends in the lounge and have a few drinks, or we order dinner in our cabin.

We also had a problem on our last cruise because they used one third of the anytime dining room for early traditional seating. That really slows things down.

We have had Anytime Dinning 3 times, hated it all three times. We always book Traditional as we feel you get the best service. Same table, same time, same wait staff. ATD you don't have the attentive waiters because they know they are going to be tipped anyway. With TD the waiters are hoping for a bigger tip than the suggested amount. The 3 times we had ATD was not our choice but the choice of the friends and family we were cruising with. When we booked our upcoming cruise we were #126 on the waitlist for TD and found out yesterday that we are no longer waitlisted. Yeah!!