Is Carnival still the best value in cruising or are other cruise lines often less?

Carleeb12

I'm helping a family friend plan a cruise for her entire family. They are all first-time cruisers. I have only ever been on Carnival before, so naturally I began steering her towards Carnival. Cost is definitely a priority for them, but in addition to my question about value, do you think Carnival will provide them with a really good, "magical" first cruise experience like it did for me 10 years ago, or do you think with all the changes they have been implementing lately that it would be better to have her look into one of the other lines? Do the other lines ever go cheaper than Carnival, especially for a group of 5 cabins (i.e. no last minute deals)? They are not interested in any of the additional packages like Cheers since they don't drink or care to do fine dining or anything like that. Just the basic cruise experience. Am I doing the right thing here?

You can find deals that are very similar on Carnival, Royal, and Norwegian. Deals depend on the newness of the ship, days long, ports, and what time of year. I found that NCL has the best bang for your overall buck if you like to drink and get their free (service charge) beverage package.

You have mixed the words "cost" and "value" and they could be two totally different things! If you paid less on a Carnival cruise but had a bad experience, the cost was good, the value not so much. For us, Carnival has always been a good value and at a reasonable cost. If I were trying to help someone with their first cruise, I would steer them away from 3 and 4 day cruises since these usually tend to be more boisterous than the longer cruises (something that might affect their concept of value). I would look for one close enough for them to drive to in order to avoid airline fares, this lowering the cost. Then, a port intensive cruise might add value to the experience being able to see several places they may not have seen before. All this to say I think you are on the right track by steering them toward Carnival. [emoji12][emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cost has little to do with value. Not exactly sure how to answer you. Is it the cheapest cruising? Not always. Is it best value for money? Not always. Start with basics: when, where, budget. Then start digging into pricing of all general family lines. When you find a couple within your targets start looking for which will be best value for the cost. Example, friend, hubby 2 tweens week after Thanksgiving, Eastern got a family interior on Royal for $375 less than all the other lines were offering. Better value, bigger cabin.Looking for this year, Carnival about $300 less. Just lots of leg work.Sorry no easy answer

Dee

I currently have them on the Breeze, Western Caribbean 7-day (Belize, Roatan, Cozumel) in January. Price for interior is $499 for the first 2, $169 for 3rd and 4th. Can Royal or NCL compete with this? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot, but every time I price out a similar scenario on Royal it is more expensive. So I guess maybe I just need reassurance that steering them towards Carnival is not a mistake for an entire family of first-time cruisers.

Honestly for what they want I would go with Carnival....

Royal has great entertainment, and HUGE ships, but lots of complaints about not being able to get into shows, added costs, ect... And I've never seen them cheaper than NCL or Carnival.

NCL is a great value especially when you add in their included drink package, speciality dining, and internet packages. But your friends aren't into the drinking package and their dining room wait leaves something to be desired.

For a first time I would go with a 5-7 day on Carnival or if you can get a deal Norwegian. As for Royal people either love it or hate it, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground, and they are usually the more expensive choice.

Sent from my XT1030 using Forums mobile app

Long time cruisers worry about things like "all the changes that have caused such and such to go downhill." First time cruisers will have a blast. Don't worry about it. If money is important, book the cheapest mainstream line.

For the cruise I'm headed on next week, Carnival was the cheapest, but some RCI cruises on their older/smaller ships were only a few $$ more. Carnival met our schedule better, so off we go...

I currently have them on the Breeze, Western Caribbean 7-day (Belize, Roatan, Cozumel) in January. Price for interior is $499 for the first 2, $169 for 3rd and 4th. Can Royal or NCL compete with this? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot, but every time I price out a similar scenario on Royal it is more expensive. So I guess maybe I just need reassurance that steering them towards Carnival is not a mistake for an entire family of first-time cruisers.

The Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston is going to be priced higher because their 3rd and 4th person rates are nowhere near $169 per person. But, if you were just looking for a double, they have inside cabins for $439 per person in January 2018.

We didn't plan to cruise Carnival again, but the $169 for the 3rd person brought us back so our adult son, who can't afford much, could come with us in April.

You just have to check all the cruise lines. 3 years in a row we sailed Princess in January because their rates beat RCCL and Carnival by hundreds.

Carnival, more often than not, is cheaper. But as others have said, cheaper doesn't always translate into the best value.

You know your family members. Will they be happy with Carnival's style of cruising or are they a bit more discerning and would be happier to pay extra to get a more premium experience and more attention to detail?

I have family members who I have recommended Carnival to because I know that they would be happy sailing on them. But there are other family members who would shoot me if I ever put them on a Carnival cruise. It's truly a matter of personal likes and dislikes.

As someone mentioned above, there are fantastic deals on other cruise lines as well. We sailed on MSC from Miami last summer. They offered a 2 for 1 balcony promotion, a kids sail free promotion, and a loyalty match program offering an additional discount. By the time it was all said and done, we paid about $250 per person ALL taxes included for an upgraded balcony stateroom, and we were even treated to free spa passes, drink vouchers, a logo item and free photos. Now THAT's what I call value! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too have sailed Princess in January for under $750 pp for a balcony cabin. Come to think of it, I've had the same type of cabin and pricing on some of Celebrity's newest ships. Most often the first sailing right after the New Year seems to be at the lowest rate, plus at least $100 to $150 OBC.

The Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston is going to be priced higher because their 3rd and 4th person rates are nowhere near $169 per person. But, if you were just looking for a double, they have inside cabins for $439 per person in January 2018.

We didn't plan to cruise Carnival again, but the $169 for the 3rd person brought us back so our adult son, who can't afford much, could come with us in April.

You just have to check all the cruise lines. 3 years in a row we sailed Princess in January because their rates beat RCCL and Carnival by hundreds.

The cheapest times of the year to cruise are between Thanksgiving and Christmas and early January. This could be difficult with kids in school, but many parents have no problems pulling them out. Holidays have a major bump up price wise, but sometimes you can get a deal over Thanksgiving. I would check out the new MSC Seaside for 2018, but if you're looking for this year, Carnival should be your best bet since drinks and specialty packages are not involved.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Others have addressed lines and prices. I will speak to your proposed plan. Breeze is a wonderful, fun ship with lots of stuff for kids and families.

The itinerary is also family friendly. In Roatan they can literally walk to the free beach. If you decide to go with Carnival I think you made a good choice, especially if they can drive to Galveston.

I can often get similar or lower prices on NCL and MSC cruise lines. But they don't offer as many short cruises, so for a short cruise usually Carnival is better priced. 7 day and longer, not always the case. The NCL and MSC ships that do the 7 day cruises are very, very nice and well priced most of the time.

They are not interested in any of the additional packages like Cheers since they don't drink or care to do fine dining or anything like that. Just the basic cruise experience. Am I doing the right thing here?

Yes, you're doing exactly the right thing. :)

Of course there are situations where another line might have a better price to fill their ship for that particular cruise. I once cruised 7 days on Princess to Alaska (first cruise of the season and it was COLD) for $268 pp ! ! It happens now and then, but overall week in week out Carnival is going to be the best value with the least amount of "upsell" charges, IMHO.

I have cruised Carnival 4 times and RC once. I never had an issue with Carnival and was always pleased. Others would urge us to try Royal but it was always way more money and budget is a factor for me. And then I stumbled on a steal with RC....7 day out of Galveston to Roatan, Belize and Cozumel for a grand total including tax of $830 for two people. It was a great deal. There were things I liked and other things not so much. All things considered in the future if they were priced the same, I would choose Carnival. But if I were to stumble on a deal like that again in RC, I'd snatch it!

I think Carnival is a great place to start but occasionally you can find good deals in other lines.

For those ports and that itinerary, Carnival will be fine. I think they will get value-for-money.

However, if I were cruising another itinerary (e.g. Panama Canal, Europe, or Alaska, I would go with either Princess or HAL.)

I can often get similar or lower prices on NCL and MSC cruise lines. But they don't offer as many short cruises, so for a short cruise usually Carnival is better priced. 7 day and longer, not always the case. The NCL and MSC ships that do the 7 day cruises are very, very nice and well priced most of the time.

Is MSC a more upscale cruise line? What are its major differences from Carnival? How is the food in comparison?

How much more for them to have (at minimum) an ocean view vs inside cabin. I ask because if I want to "wow" someone on their first cruise, being able to see the ocean from their own cabin certainly adds to it.
Comparing Breeze inside to OV, about 115 pp more.