Questions for Diamonds please - what will be different on my first Diamond cruise?

Truluv

Good answer. Because as I understand it, children, even those who have achieved Diamond on their own, don't get a free picture.

Sad but true. As they move up in levels, children get none of the perks of their status until they're adults.

~ Judy

I'll be taking my first cruise as a Diamond member this summer (Oasis in a JS, solo). I've already paid for VOOM, a drink package and port parking, so I probably wouldn't use small discounts if available for any of those items. I was surprised to get my choice of early traditional dining, since on my recent cruises I ended up in My Time even though I booked nearly a year ahead.

What will be different as a Diamond member? Is check in or debarkation much different from Emerald? Will I get a different color sign and sail card (and does it mean anything?) Will there be a list of diamond benefits in the cabin? Do I get more than the can of soda and snack I earned with Emerald? Any tips on how to enjoy being Diamond? I understand from these boards that 2/3 of the passengers are also likely to be Diamond LOL. For me, it will be a big deal :D.

And what do you do with your Diamond pin? After I took a picture of my Emerald pin and sent it to my kids (Nyah Nyah Nyah), I put in in a drawer. Did you feel motivated to try to reach the next level with RCL, or did you then start to explore other cruiselines? I have my first HAL cruise in 2 months and have tried Celebrity (1X), Carnival (7X), NCL (2X) and Princess (1X) over the last 20 years.

Thank you!

Love this post! We just completed our very first Diamond cruise on Navigator - 3/26/17-3/31/17 -- just home today! Wish I had asked this question before we left ;p I loved the lounge - that was the highlight of our trip. The delicious canapes! The free drinks! The wonderful window seat at My Time Dining!!! A tiny problem in Giovanni's Table lead to a free meal - something we didn't ask for or expect. Whoa, what a wonderful difference!!! Makes me want to book another cruise next week :) However, I have a question for the veterans: We tipped each server $1 per drink, whether it was in the Diamond Lounge or another bar that accepted our card. Was that sufficient? We also gave an envelope to the servers in the lounge on the last night. Are we doing the right thing?

Love this post! We just completed our very first Diamond cruise on Navigator - 3/26/17-3/31/17 -- just home today! Wish I had asked this question before we left ;p I loved the lounge - that was the highlight of our trip. The delicious canapes! The free drinks! The wonderful window seat at My Time Dining!!! A tiny problem in Giovanni's Table lead to a free meal - something we didn't ask for or expect. Whoa, what a wonderful difference!!! Makes me want to book another cruise next week :)

This made me laugh! We got off Freedom this past Sunday. (We turned diamond on that cruise, so no perks yet). While on the ship, we booked Oasis for next year. We were on dry ground for 3 days before we booked yet another cruise (Adventure next summer - great prices BTW). I think it is safe to say we are officially, thoroughly addicted to cruising :D

Our first diamond cruise will be on Oasis in 9 weeks!

Thanks for the comment about pictures, Bob! I would have taken only one free picture, thinking it is per stateroom. Glad to hear we get two!

As for children who are diamond... I saw a girl on FOS (about 9) get a free bottle of water from the R bar for her diamond status. It may be worth checking to see if they get the free non-alcoholic drinks, or if that bartender was just being nice...

The wonderful window seat at My Time Dining!!! A tiny problem in Giovanni's Table lead to a free meal - something we didn't ask for or expect. Whoa, what a wonderful difference!!!

I hope you realize that could happen to anyone, even first time cruisers.

• 7 months later...

What is the role of the Diamond Lounge Concierge? For instance, if I wanted a cheese plate sent to my room for a pre-dinner snack by room service at a certain time each day, could they facilitate that for me? Or, would I contact room service directly?

What is the role of the Diamond Lounge Concierge? For instance, if I wanted a cheese plate sent to my room for a pre-dinner snack by room service at a certain time each day, could they facilitate that for me? Or, would I contact room service directly?

Just my personal opinion, but I'd contact room service directly.

At the diamond level if you do not drink alcohol, are you able to substitute the "3 drinks" for bottled water or can soda and if so, can you get the water and soda only from the diamond lounge or can you get it at any of the bars.

On our recent Oasis cruise, I was disappointed that they did not have bottled water in the D lounge. I have been able to get it on every other ship we've sailed since we've been Diamond.

Good thread. So what age are the children considered to be "adults" I am traveling with my 16 year old daughter (who is diamond by virtue of me and the wife's C&A status).

Will she be able to get a free picture, and 3 non-alcoholic drinks during happy hour?

Thanks

Good thread. So what age are the children considered to be "adults" I am traveling with my 16 year old daughter (who is diamond by virtue of me and the wife's C&A status).

Will she be able to get a free picture, and 3 non-alcoholic drinks during happy hour?

Thanks

Age 18.

Thanks

Age 18.

As Bob points out the age is 18, but from the practical side, her sea pass card will say diamond on it. The lounge servers won't ask for more proof of age nor will the photo studio either....so getting a third picture shouldn't be an issue, nor getting the third day of internet service. Of course it might be different if she was 10 or 12 and asking for a glass of wine, but at 16 and the way some 16 year olds look....they won't question asking for a soft drink.

My husband using my sea pass card to access the 2nd day of internet access -- I am not there with him logging into it for access. I am not always with him when he gets our photos done, although he has my sea pass card with him.

I just don't see this as a big issue.....but yes Bob is correct in the specific age.

As Bob points out the age is 18, but from the practical side, her sea pass card will say diamond on it. The lounge servers won't ask for more proof of age nor will the photo studio either....so getting a third picture shouldn't be an issue, nor getting the third day of internet service. Of course it might be different if she was 10 or 12 and asking for a glass of wine, but at 16 and the way some 16 year olds look....they won't question asking for a soft drink.

My husband using my sea pass card to access the 2nd day of internet access -- I am not there with him logging into it for access. I am not always with him when he gets our photos done, although he has my sea pass card with him.

I just don't see this as a big issue.....but yes Bob is correct in the specific age.

It might be 18 but it is 21 regarding alcohol consumption.

The benefits are loaded to the card. Agree in the lounge no issue, but for photo or internet may have to see the diamond concierge about those

we have 2 rooms booked room #1 has to diamond members room #2 is a solo non diamond member but close to diamond status.

can we all check in at the same diamond line--I realize we shouldn't but do you think they will have her reservation and key card available