Any way NCL will move out the Manhattan terminal and into Red Hook Brooklyn or NJ?

JAMESCC

I thought the same thing, that there was only one berth at Bayonne until I arrived one day for the Zenith and there was this other ship docked at the usual berth we had used for Zenith previously. The other ship was a big surprise.....not only that there was another ship, but also because it was not a Royal Caribbean or Celebrity ship.

6f4f7284ae84ea64b90a8bcefa6cb831.jpg

That was years ago.

We take a bus from Allentown, PA, currently $27 per person round trip at age 62 and above, 2 hours 30 minutes to 42nd Street then a $12 cab ride to the ship, never any terminal problems with the Gem or BA. We enjoy passing ms Liberty, know that the cruise has started, that we are leaving the USA. We get the 8 AM bus and are in the terminal about 11AM or so depending on traffic, on board shorty after noon.

I take the Metro-North to Grand Central then walk (about 30 minutes or more) or take a quick $10 cab ride to the terminal so getting there is easy for me. I found everyone to be friendly and easy-going at the terminal. Longest wait was probably about an hour and a half maybe a little longer (sitting most of the time except to give in our documents). I've only sailed Carnival and Holland America so I don't know if it makes a difference. As others have said - the sailaway is fantastic!

I take the Metro-North to Grand Central then walk (about 30 minutes or more) or take a quick $10 cab ride to the terminal so getting there is easy for me. I found everyone to be friendly and easy-going at the terminal. Longest wait was probably about an hour and a half maybe a little longer (sitting most of the time except to give in our documents). I've only sailed Carnival and Holland America so I don't know if it makes a difference. As others have said - the sailaway is fantastic!

I take the train to Penn Station and it is a short taxi ride to the Manhattan cruise terminal. Been about $10 cost. Oddly enough almost every time I use the Manhattan terminal I have to give the cab driver directions. Manhattan is the easiest for me of the three ports to get to. And the cheapest. The last three times, twice was on the Veendam with the Breakaway in between, the Veendam embarkation and debarkations were fine. The Breakaway embarkation was poor, the debarkation was a disaster. The difference I believe was Veendam 1350 passengers versus Breakaway 3900 passengers.

I love the Manhattan terminal. I remember leaving from there in 2004 and it wasn't done at all - it looked like a giant warehouse. The upgrades have made it on par with some of the terminals in FL, and you're only there at most two hours to get on the cruise. Just like everything in New York, it's a little more cramped due to space. We pay high rents for shoeboxes so consider it part of the experience!

For me, the ease of leaving my apartment and walking to vacation can't be beat. And if you time it right, you can be checking in and boarding within minutes to avoid the crowding in the terminal altogether.

I don't see anything wrong with the Manhattan terminal. Besides being convenient for tourists it is VERY convenient for those who live in NYC as well as all those who take one of the commuter lines into either Penn Station or Grand Central from the suburbs of New York. Like Alegeeter said, for those (millions!) of us who live here you can't beat simply walking over to the pier or a short cab ride from one of the train stations.

I've sailed out of Bayonne & NY. Out of NY on Jewel class ships & last year on the Breakaway. The worst embarkation I had was 2015 on the Gem and I was in a suite booked through CAS! The lines were just crazy that day. Last year when I sailed Breakaway I thought it would be a nightmare but the signage was great. I arrived around 1:30 and it did not take long at all to check in and board. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how smooth the process was.

Is there any way, and I wish they would just move out of that awful Manhattan terminal to Red Hook Brooklyn or somewhere in NJ? NCL just has the best deals going, they seem to care about winning your business, and I would honestly sail with them exclusively if they would get out of that Manhattan terminal. I hated, I mean hated, despised that terminal on our first NCL cruise last Sept/Oct on Breakaway. Breakaway wasn't my favorite either but we had a blast, enjoyed the cruise, LOVED Bermuda as always, LOVED our Aft Balcony that was enormous and a great deal, I just hated that terminal and having to go into Manhattan.

Why?:confused::confused::confused:

They signed a 10-yr. agreement with NYC to remain in Manhattan.

The piers in NYC are the easier location to get to and you are right in the heart of Manhattan. What could be a better location? You are near everything.

Bayonne is not the easier pier to get to. Red Hook is under used but has a beautiful terminal.

Guess you are not from NY!!!!:(

MARAPRINCE

We were docked next to the Sea Princess when we were embarking on NCL in Manhattan... it did not go to Brooklyn and it's a Carnival ship.

Not all Carnival Corp. ships sail out of Brooklyn. Generally Cunard and Princess do, but a few itineraries will depart from Manhattan instead...and if there are two ships in port the same day that normally would sail out of Brooklyn one has to depart from another place because Brooklyn only can one ship per day. Carnival Cruise Line itself always cruises from Manhattan, not Brooklyn. Who knows, there could have been a one time exception, but I don't recall a Carnival Cruise Line ship ever sailing from Brooklyn.

Not all Carnival Corp. ships sail out of Brooklyn. Generally Cunard and Princess do, but a few itineraries will depart from Manhattan instead...and if there are two ships in port the same day that normally would sail out of Brooklyn one has to depart from another place because Brooklyn only can one ship per day. Carnival Cruise Line itself always cruises from Manhattan, not Brooklyn. Who knows, there could have been a one time exception, but I don't recall a Carnival Cruise Line ship ever sailing from Brooklyn.

Also some will see a Celebrity ship from time to time at the Manhattan terminal. Not embarking or debarking but on a port call.

I sailed out of Red Hook on Princess in Oct and I hated it. Maybe because it is not used very much,but it was totally disorganized. I came in on a charter bus and when we got there,there were no porters to unload our bags and our bus driver had to do it himself and wheel the luggage carrier to the entrance. Saved us a few bucks with no porters to tip though. I just seemed like no one knew what they were supposed to be doing.

Laura

I sailed last year on Breakaway from Manhattan and decided to fly this year we are driving. We live in PA 6 hour trip we kicked around parking at port (expensive) second option was using Luxe parking service about 170.00 for week but DH wasn't comfortable with that option. Then found Hampton Inn in Ridgefield NJ for 100. A night and booked over phone and was told we could leave car for week at no extra cost. We will take cab or uber to port.

And since arriving day before we plan to site see in NY city.

I "hate" JFK and absolutely avoid LGA airport as it's the closest to home, literally live across Flushing Bay & see the runways ... not to mention the traffic & congestion around the airport reconstruction & redevelopment. MCT, on the other hand, I don't dislike or hate either, it's just a transit point - most folks spend anywhere from 1 to 2.5 hours on average before getting onboard to start the cruise vacation ... the worst was 3 hours for us & that was due to a USCG & PHS inspection.

Being VIP, Platinum, CAS or booked in Haven meant that you can zip thru and bypass some of the bottleneck, curbside to the top of the gangway on deck in 60 minutes or just a little over, including security.

From a transportation logistic standpoint, and for the average tourists & out-of-town visitors, the convenience of nearby hotels, dining, shopping, sightseeing and other options - both pre- and post- cruise, outside the terminal building, making MCT - in my opinion - the ideal compromise to cruise to/from. Not to mention, those amazing views sailing down the Hudson, the Manhattan skyline, Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty, and the Freedom Tower (for some of us, it's always the WTC, always ... a reminder) - you just don't catch all that sailing out of Cape Liberty or Red Hooks.

Traffic on weekend getting to/from Red Hook on weekend is fine from midtown Manhattan chosen by many visitors, weekday mornings can be a nightmare on the bridges & tunnels, even if you are a local & know how to sneak past traffic lights, stop signs & beat the seasoned commuters on & off the BQE to the waterfront.

Could be selfish & vote for Red Hooks, saving us $12 each time in tunnel/bridge tolls for Manhattan - and, possibly a faster/shorter ride to Brooklyn ... hailing a taxi, waiting for car service or finding an Uber or Lyft cruising nearby AND available, might - not - be - as easy. My 2 cent's worth & I still recall the MCT back in 2000; and, NCL deserves some credits for bring cruising back to NY on a year-round basis.

What's easy about the Manhattan Terminal is coming into the city from Penn Station, and taking a short taxi ride to the terminal. The only thing which I didn't like about Penn, was lugging my bags up the escalator. I wish that there was an elevator directly from the track area to the street level.

I thought the same thing, that there was only one berth at Bayonne until I arrived one day for the Zenith and there was this other ship docked at the usual berth we had used for Zenith previously. The other ship was a big surprise.....not only that there was another ship, but also because it was not a Royal Caribbean or Celebrity ship.

6f4f7284ae84ea64b90a8bcefa6cb831.jpg

That is the Disney Magic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, there's only one berth in Brooklyn, so having a large number of departures from that terminal isn't practical.

Even with one berth it seems like it would be practical to have more departures than there are now from Brooklyn. There are few.

For example looks like only three for the months of April, May and June.