I have a problem...

A&Jfamily

and before I begin, let me acknowledge up front, that this is a 1st world problem. So here it goes...I love cruising. I love the down time with my family. But I am tired of the same old ports. We cruise with our kids who are in Jr high and college and can only go pre-Christmas or spring break and there just seems to be nothing new! I have been to: Aruba, Curacao, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Grand Turk, Amber Cove, St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. Marteen, San Juan, Nassau, Freeport and HMC.

We have Progresso and Cozumel booked on the Triumph pre-Christmas. Then the island hopper booked out of San Juan in Spring of 2018. And we are looking at the 4 day from Long Beach to Catalina and Ensenada in December 2018; the 7 day is out because it is Sat-Sat and we can't get there in time with exams from the east coast.

Can Carnival find/build/locate some new ports? Or at least offer some of the ones like St. Croix, Antigua, Bonaire, Columbia, Costa Rica and Panama more frequently???

Anyone else have this issue? We travel much more for the ports than the ship (thus the Fascination island hopper will be grand!). I am ready to start looking a spring break 2019 and if nothing catches my eye, it might me a US National Park trip. Cruising is so relaxing, but I really want to go new places and see new things....:(

No.

We cruise to get off the grid, so I really do not care what the ports are.

In fact, we are doing a B2B on Liberty in three months and I doubt that we will even get off the ship

Look into other cruise lines. I'm super excited about my Celebrity Edge sailing in 2019. I get to go to Tortola which I have never been. Plus 3 sea days. I love sea days!

I hear you...and we have been on Princess when we got deals. Others like RCI (I was not impressed when I sailed them in 2000) and X are priced out of our comfort zone (we could afford it would just mean less vacations per year) as we get two rooms. NCL doesn't appeal because I have read and heard too many reports that the food is just not good. We also are not heavy drinkers so the free drinks thing isn't enough to off-set the difference in costs.

Also, despite the complaints of Carnival having a bad perks program, I disagree. As I am Platinum now, it is hard to pass up on going home with a clean suitcase of clothes I didn't have to wash. We aren't internet users while on vacation so that perk, say on princess, doesn't appeal...and with Princess is it 151+ sea days or 15 cruises before you get the laundry.

So...for many reasons that leaves me with Carnival as my line of choice...until we start going just me and DH internationally once the kids are out of the house. And then it is "Princess here we come!"

PS - Just ran a search for RCI March 2018...and nothing really new. Maybe a St. Croix, but not on their week. Or a Haiti but the price of the cruise is $250 pp more for the inside for our kids, without even looking into the balcony....

Edited by A&Jfamily

They have been adding some. Princess Cays is a new stop for Carnival ships. If you look at the journeys cruises you can usually find a little more variety. Personally I wish there were more itineraries that included Barbados

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They have been adding some. Princess Cays is a new stop for Carnival ships. If you look at the journeys cruises you can usually find a little more variety. Personally I wish there were more itineraries that included Barbados

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

With the kids I can't do the longer Journeys cruises, sadly. It seems like the couple of weeks I am limited to is the same old same old eastern and western routes. It's been that way for years now...with Amber Cove being the only real new port added into those rotations, and perhaps Grand Turk...not sure when that one appeared. Our first cruise went to Roatan - Coxen Hole!

You may want to consider Anthem out of NJ. I know this is RCCL, but they do have some good prices, depending on room, you can save $ and drive, and while the ports stink, my family (older kids) loved having all the indoor sports areas, Ifly, etc. to spend time together doing. In this instance, the ship was the destination and with multiple indoor pools was the perfect "cold" weather option. Just something different maybe.

and before I begin, let me acknowledge up front, that this is a 1st world problem. So here it goes...I love cruising. I love the down time with my family. But I am tired of the same old ports. ...

No judgement here. I get you. When we cruise as a family, it has to be from a port we can drive to in a day or two. So, there are only so many place we can go with Carnival.

You need to venture away from CCL and try a Princess, Holland, or Celebrity cruise. You'll find different ports. CCL, RCCL, and NCL all offer much of the same. You need to move up a tier. In order to get where I want to go I cruise different lines every year.

You need to venture away from CCL and try a Princess, Holland, or Celebrity cruise. You'll find different ports. CCL, RCCL, and NCL all offer much of the same. You need to move up a tier. In order to get where I want to go I cruise different lines every year.

It certainly looks like that. I didn't mention in my prior post that i have done Halifax, Saint John, Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. So we really have about exhausted our us base options.

We love Princess - and the idea of Europe in particular. But the price tag gets steep for 4 especially when you add in airfare.

I just really wish Carnival would make some of the less Custer Caribbean ports more common in the high volume times like mid-late December and spring break and get away from same ole same ole.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

and before I begin, let me acknowledge up front, that this is a 1st world problem. So here it goes...I love cruising. I love the down time with my family. But I am tired of the same old ports. We cruise with our kids who are in Jr high and college and can only go pre-Christmas or spring break and there just seems to be nothing new! I have been to: Aruba, Curacao, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Grand Turk, Amber Cove, St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. Marteen, San Juan, Nassau, Freeport and HMC.

We have Progresso and Cozumel booked on the Triumph pre-Christmas. Then the island hopper booked out of San Juan in Spring of 2018. And we are looking at the 4 day from Long Beach to Catalina and Ensenada in December 2018; the 7 day is out because it is Sat-Sat and we can't get there in time with exams from the east coast.

Can Carnival find/build/locate some new ports? Or at least offer some of the ones like St. Croix, Antigua, Bonaire, Columbia, Costa Rica and Panama more frequently???

Anyone else have this issue? We travel much more for the ports than the ship (thus the Fascination island hopper will be grand!). I am ready to start looking a spring break 2019 and if nothing catches my eye, it might me a US National Park trip. Cruising is so relaxing, but I really want to go new places and see new things....:(

It sounds like a land vacation is about your only option. By the time they find/build/locate some new ports, you probably won't have your kids schedule to worry about.

@A&Jfamily

What about a river cruise down the Danube to visit the Christmas markets along the way? You'd be on a boat, not a ship, but would have lots of opportunities to bond with your youngsters.

I am in agreement with OP. We have cruised with our children for the last 15 years. My youngest is still in high school, but will be a senior. We have a summer trip booked (San Juan-Fascination), and then one on RCI for early January. I would love to see Carnival do more 8-10 day cruises, perhaps a partial Panama Canal? I would love to see that with my children.

We have 5 in our family, so airfare gets expensive to go to Europe or places too far away. We are "splurging" on the San Juan trip as it is our 25th wedding anniversary. The kids (2 in college) wanted to come along, so we changed our original plans (much more expensive!) and switched to this so we could take the kids.

But I am tired of the same old ports. We cruise a lot out of Galveston (we live 45 minutes away, so it is EASY), and they don't have many options. I am tired of always stopping in Cozumel.

Yes, these are our "problems." Haha. IMHO, nothing beats a cruise for vacationing. We have done a lot of the national parks, and will probably be going later this summer to do another round of them. To me, that is not really a vacation, as mom is busy trying to figure out dinner, where we are driving to, etc. Still fun, but not nearly as relaxing!

We have the same situation (can't call it a problem) with already having been to all the Caribbean islands. But we're lucky in that we're now retired and only have ourselves to consider, so we do other lines and other continents. someday it'll happen to you.

I am in agreement with OP. We have cruised with our children for the last 15 years. My youngest is still in high school, but will be a senior. We have a summer trip booked (San Juan-Fascination), and then one on RCI for early January. I would love to see Carnival do more 8-10 day cruises, perhaps a partial Panama Canal? I would love to see that with my children.

We have 5 in our family, so airfare gets expensive to go to Europe or places too far away. We are "splurging" on the San Juan trip as it is our 25th wedding anniversary. The kids (2 in college) wanted to come along, so we changed our original plans (much more expensive!) and switched to this so we could take the kids.

But I am tired of the same old ports. We cruise a lot out of Galveston (we live 45 minutes away, so it is EASY), and they don't have many options. I am tired of always stopping in Cozumel.

Yes, these are our "problems." Haha. IMHO, nothing beats a cruise for vacationing. We have done a lot of the national parks, and will probably be going later this summer to do another round of them. To me, that is not really a vacation, as mom is busy trying to figure out dinner, where we are driving to, etc. Still fun, but not nearly as relaxing!

Carnival does a few partial Canal transit cruises, with the emphasis on "few" because they're usually part of a Journeys itinerary. That's our next itinerary (beyond what we already have booked) but will likely have to wait for HAL's 2019 schedule as Princess is the only other line which does those, not counting the rare Carnival Journeys to the Canal, and Princess' ship deployment during that timeframe isn't appealing.

OP: I hear you and though we don't have school age children any longer, we've been to all the ports you mention and DW has long since grown tired of them (I could keep going to the same old/same old by she won't!). Unfortunately if you're stuck with working around school schedules, you're also probably stuck with Caribbean, Mexico and Alaska itineraries or perhaps a Pacific Coastal but I'm not sure if those fall during school schedule breaks. I guess I wasn't much help but just wanted you to know I fully sympathize! :o

Carnival does a few partial Canal transit cruises, with the emphasis on "few" because they're usually part of a Journeys itinerary. That's our next itinerary (beyond what we already have booked) but will likely have to wait for HAL's 2019 schedule as Princess is the only other line which does those, not counting the rare Carnival Journeys to the Canal, and Princess' ship deployment during that timeframe isn't appealing.

OP: I hear you and though we don't have school age children any longer, we've been to all the ports you mention and DW has long since grown tired of them (I could keep going to the same old/same old by she won't!). Unfortunately if you're stuck with working around school schedules, you're also probably stuck with Caribbean, Mexico and Alaska itineraries or perhaps a Pacific Coastal but I'm not sure if those fall during school schedule breaks. I guess I wasn't much help but just wanted you to know I fully sympathize! :o

Actually, NCL does quite a few partial transits. EM

Actually, NCL does quite a few partial transits. EM

Thanks EM. I think I knew that (based on searches for Canal cruises across all lines) but had forgotten just because we've never seriously considered NCL. But a good suggestion for the OP nonetheless! :)

Wow, I just got on to post this same "problem". I only ask for one new port each cruise but that is getting harder and harder tomfind. I live in NC so the FL ports are easy for us to drive to. We have been to St Thomas, St Marteen, St John, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Caymen, Freeport, Nassau, Haiti and Jamaica. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Forums mobile app

I've done a western itinerary maybe 15 times or so, and I'm always looking for a new tour or excursion in each frequently frequented port. Sometimes I'll do something completely out of either my comfort zone or something I never thought of doing before and it turns out okay. For Belize, I've traveled to San Pedro and Caulker Caye isles, been to Xanantunich ruins, have Lamanai ruins booked in June, while many here on CC stay on the ship or don't go outside the port area or think cave tubing is the best and only thing they will do there. Sometimes when I return to an island after a few years, some major changes have taken place and it can be fun exploring new activities.

And I don't get tired of laying on Tabayana Beach or 7 mile beach or any beach in Coz or Playa del Carmen because.they are so beautiful. Heck, I've even gone back to many of the islands for extended land vacations.

I know there's always the problem of getting jaded, and it is a 1st world problem, but I can remember when cruising was beyond my capabilities and remain grateful for every opportunity I get. Carpe Diem!

When I do feel a little change is in order, then I just cruise a different itinerary and/or a different cruiseline. I've joked that when one can know what the CD's spiel is going to be, it's time to move on.

Wow, I just got on to post this same "problem". I only ask for one new port each cruise but that is getting harder and harder tomfind. I live in NC so the FL ports are easy for us to drive to. We have been to St Thomas, St Marteen, St John, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Caymen, Freeport, Nassau, Haiti and Jamaica. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Forums mobile app

How about Amber Cove, Grand Turk and San Juan? Three new ports for you all on an eight day cruise out of NYC next summer on the Horizon. Or the exotic southern route with stops in Aruba and Curacao as well as La Romana and Grand Turk. Which would give you four new ports. This itinerary is on the Horizon and the Vista that I know of off the top of my head.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app