100 day medallion question

kangforpres

Hi Everyone-

We will be crossing our 100 days on board threshold on our next cruise in Sept in Alaska. Should we expect our medallions at the Mariner Brunch or is it the next cruise after this one. We have 95 days, the Sept cruise is 7 days.

The Nerd in me is kind of excited about this.

-Paul

Hi Everyone-

We will be crossing our 100 days on board threshold on our next cruise in Sept in Alaska. Should we expect our medallions at the Mariner Brunch or is it the next cruise after this one. We have 95 days, the Sept cruise is 7 days.

-Paul

You should be invited to the Medallion ceremony (before the Mariner Brunch) where you will be awarded with your medallion. Enjoy the free drink, munchies and...Lots of people will clap for you

When I received my copper medallion, I had boarded that cruise with 99 days of HAL cruising previously completed, and disembarked with 113 days completed.

I believe the medallions were distributed during a reception in the showroom at sea prior to the brunch.

One subsequent cruises, I have not been invited to any pre-brunch receptions. Although, I also have not reached any additional medallion levels either.

I'm not aware of any published rules for the medallions, so things could always change. The rules for the star levels (1-5) seem to be better documented and firm. (And in that case, one isn't rewarded with the next star level until the cruise following the one when you complete the specified number of days. Except, evidently, for grand voyages, when things happen sooner.)

I hadn't heard of the Medallion before. I take it it is after 100 days on board, rather than 100 days of mariner credits including on board spending etc?

I have 122 cruise day credits, but only actually 83 days on board.

*eta* Ignore me, i've just found the answer to my own question!

''Medallion status is calculated using Cruise Days only; Suite Bonus and Onboard Spending Bonus do not apply toward Medallion status''

Edited by debsjc

Hi Everyone-

-Paul

Congratulations on reaching 100 'real' days.

You should receive your Medallion at the MarIner Brunch fo on the cruise during which you reach the actual 100 days.

I had 97 days prior to our recent transatlantic cruise on the Koningsdam. When we returned to our cabin one night there was a box on the bed with my 100 day medallion in it. There was a letter with it inviting us to a Captain's cocktail party for medallion recipients a day or so later. It was held in the Crow's nest and I had my picture taken with the Captain, there was an open bar and lovely appetizers. It was quite nice.

When I received mine it was the cruise after I reached 100 days. An invitation was sent to our suite and it was in the Ocean Bar prior to the lunch. It was a very small group of 5 of us so we had lots of time to chat with Captain etc. and photos taken. I felt awkward only because the rest were couples getting their medallion together but since I have cruises more than my husband he will get his next time. Would have been nice to have the photo together-oh well!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Congratulations on reaching 100 'real' days.

You should receive your Medallion at the MarIner Brunch fo on the cruise during which you reach the actual 100 days.

I have not seen medallions presented at any mariner brunch I have attended. We received our medallions in the showroom before the brunch as kazu reported.

You should be invited to an awards ceremony before the brunch. But this depends on the captain.

We have attended many ceremonies where no medallions were given out and we thought that very strange. We have also attended ceremonies when they called mariners up who had just achieved well over 100 days (like 133 days) and they should have gotten their medals way before this.

No one can predict what will happen on your cruise.

Suggestion -- on the second day of your cruise -- talk to the front desk or the guest relations manager and see what your situation will be.

I hadn't heard of the Medallion before. I take it it is after 100 days on board, rather than 100 days of mariner credits including on board spending etc?

''Medallion status is calculated using Cruise Days only; Suite Bonus and Onboard Spending Bonus do not apply toward Medallion status''

Yes -- you are right -- it is actual SEA days. No suite credits and no points for spending.

Yes! You'll receive the Copper Medallion (100 SAILING days) when you have actually logged, or will log during your current on-board sailing, your 100 days of actual sailing. Each Captain has the choice of acknowledging you during the sailing you reach 100 days....or on the next cruise after you reached 100 days. Either way - congratulations and enjoy the ceremony!

We did not receive our medallions on the cruise where we passed the 100 days.

After returning home I contacted the Mariner Society asking if we should have received them on board the ship.

The Mariner Society replied to my message, mailed the medallions and pins to us( international mail), Mariner Society refrigerator magnets were also in the parcel with a nice letter.

Was impressed with the response from the Mariner Society.

There were only six passengers at the Noordam Awards Reception the first week of June 2017. On our last Caribbean cruise, the Mariner Society Awards Ceremony had more than 100 in attendance.

We have received invitations to every Mariner Society Awards Reception since receiving our copper medallions.

There were only six passengers at the Noordam Awards Reception the first week of June 2017. On our last Caribbean cruise, the Mariner Society Awards Ceremony had more than 100 in attendance.

We have received invitations to every Mariner Society Awards Reception since receiving our copper medallions.

We've been invited to the reception only once other than the time we received our medallions. In fact, my DM was invited to the reception but I wasn't. (She was 4 star, I was three days behind her.) I crashed the party!

I received my 100 day medallion on my last cruise on the Eurodam. I wasn't even keeping track of my days, so it came as a complete surprise. Just like Modern Viking stated, the medallions were distributed during a reception in the showroom where the BB King group plays. It was a sea day and held prior to the brunch.

Captain Scott, my favorite HAL captain, presented me with the medal on what is now my favorite ship, the Eurodam. It was a good day all around.

Roz

• Like 1

The presentation ceremony varies by ship and also by the length of the cruise. The longer the cruise, the more people cross over the 100 day mark, thus it becomes more difficult to recognize each person individually.

On ours, we were congratulated by the Captain the the Hotel Director and received a very nice photo of the 4 of us. On other cruises, with more people receiving, I have seen them do a group photo. So, if you can, try to pass over the 100 day mark on a short cruise!

The presentation ceremony varies by ship and also by the length of the cruise. The longer the cruise, the more people cross over the 100 day mark, thus it becomes more difficult to recognize each person individually.

On ours, we were congratulated by the Captain the the Hotel Director and received a very nice photo of the 4 of us. On other cruises, with more people receiving, I have seen them do a group photo. So, if you can, try to pass over the 100 day mark on a short cruise!

Good post!

On the shorter cruises, as the OP is doing - 7 days, there should be fewer medallions handed out. We've had the Mariners Reception in the Explorer's Lounge for a few as 5 pax, so I hope everything goes well for the OPs and they receive their Medallions at a nice reception! Most ships put on a gracious event with drinks, waiters with trays of lovely snacks, Captain and HM talking to pax.

You should be invited to an awards ceremony before the brunch. But this depends on the captain.Yes,there is almost always a Medallion ceremony held immediately before the b runch. ONly those people with medallions or receiivng them are invvited. I c onsider tha at ceremony a part of the brunch as it is always held before it. I suppose if one must be picky, picky, picky, quick to correct, they could get quite specific and 'picky'. :)

We have attended many ceremonies where no medallions were given out and we thought that very strange. We have also attended ceremonies when they called mariners up who had just achieved well over 100 days (like 133 days) and they should have gotten their medals way before this.

No one can predict what will happen on your cruise.

Suggestion -- on the second day of your cruise -- talk to the front desk or the guest relations manager and see what your situation will be.

tHE Reason why someone has 133 days and is just getting their me aallion could b e because Star MaRINER and medallion program are running concurrently. medallion days are ONLLY actual on the ships days. Star Mariner days include bonus days for spending and for staying in certain suites. When they say 133 days and now gettting 100 day medallion, that is the discrepanc y. When wew got our Platinum medallions we had 700 + acutal days on the ships.

Edited by sail7seas

We did not receive our medallions on the cruise where we passed the 100 days.

After returning home I contacted the Mariner Society asking if we should have received them on board the ship.

The Mariner Society replied to my message, mailed the medallions and pins to us( international mail), Mariner Society refrigerator magnets were also in the parcel with a nice letter.

Was impressed with the response from the Mariner Society.

I have long thought HAL's Mariners Society one of the bet run ddepartments in the companyl. they do a wonderful job IMO.

That was exactly my experience. I was on a 7-day cruise.

Roz

I think they lost our names for counting for medallions. We turned over 100 sea days a couple of cruises ago and didn't get an invitation or a medallion. Next cruise, again nada, no reception invite. The reception was not with the Mariners Brunch, it was in the afternoon and I happened to walk by the show lounge and asked the officer collecting the invitations and she explained what it was about. So I asked at the front desk and they said they'd have to check with Seattle..... two days later we found our medallions left on the bed. Have not been invited to a reception since! We'll see what happens next cruise.

I was disappointed and somewhat irritated back then about missing out on the congratulations, but I'm well over it now. I think we're at about 160 or 180 sea days, so it's a very long way to the next medallion level at 300 days, if we live that long. Our medallions are on the bookshelf with the travel books - the books get used, the medallions not so much. Just looking forward to our next cruise on which we'll be celebrating milestones of our own, a 75th birthday and a 25th anniversary, so much more meaningful to us. :) m--

I would have printed our my 'Mariner record' from the Hal site and brought that gto front office on the next cruise after first receiving medallion.. I would then have requested they find out what the problem was about t my record and why I kept being skipperd over. At that point, I suspect they would have cleared up the issue.

My favorite souvenir from all our cruises is the photo of us with Captain and HD taken at the ceremny a nd is delivered to our cabin. I marked each with date, ship and name of Captain and HD

Edited by sail7seas

It must depend upon the ship and management.

Since we got our 100 day on a P'dam 20 day cruise and, on our next 30 day cruise on the same ship, we were called to see if we had received them or not. They were prepared to award them on that cruise.

Since we received our medallion we have been invited to the medallion ceremonies. So far, they have all been cermonies. These were all longish cruises.

Next time, we are doing 2 fourteen days B2B. I sure hope it works the same since we will be recipients this time. And, on the same shp where we got our bronze medallion. How perfect is that? Fingers crossed! (yn)

I think they lost our names for counting for medallions. We turned over 100 sea days a couple of cruises ago and didn't get an invitation or a medallion. Next cruise, again nada, no reception invite. The reception was not with the Mariners Brunch, it was in the afternoon and I happened to walk by the show lounge and asked the officer collecting the invitations and she explained what it was about. So I asked at the front desk and they said they'd have to check with Seattle..... two days later we found our medallions left on the bed. Have not been invited to a reception since! We'll see what happens next cruise.

I was disappointed and somewhat irritated back then about missing out on the congratulations, but I'm well over it now. I think we're at about 160 or 180 sea days, so it's a very long way to the next medallion level at 300 days, if we live that long. Our medallions are on the bookshelf with the travel books - the books get used, the medallions not so much. Just looking forward to our next cruise on which we'll be celebrating milestones of our own, a 75th birthday and a 25th anniversary, so much more meaningful to us. :) m--

Maureen

Your next cruise will be wonderful! Meaningful milestones! I would suggest you call the Mariner Society in September, tell them your story and about the milestones on this next cruise, asking if they could give the ship a prompt about this. They need to get your status down properly!

You may have missed this but if you have questions about your next cruise: rentalrichmond at gmail....